Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This one's giving me some major tonal dissonance. Like, you have all this fancy woodwork and ostentatious decoration...and then you have some couches that wouldn't look out of place at Grandma's.

I assume that they were fancy in their day, but that style became easy to cheaply replicate once printed cloth became a thing, and that's why it's everywhere nowadays.

That fabric is crazy expensive. It's what your grandma's sofa's upholstery was made cheaply to mimic.

e: The pattern is woven, not printed.

ee: I mean, I'm assuming.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I was at a working woollen mill recently, with their original in-the-basement-hydroelectric-plant powered chain programmable looms, still cranking out jacquard woven wool rugs up to 4.5m wide. They'll happily make whatever you wanted if you work with their designer/loom programmer, I can imagine prices are thousands per metre considering the hundreds per metre they were charging for their standard tapestry fabrics.

My well-off great aunt had a chaise longue and six chairs reupholstered back in the eighties and the jacquard fabric cost 25 000 FIM which comes to about 7 000 € today. And I bet it wasn't the fanciest pattern. The reason I remember the price might have something to do with me making GBS threads the chaise longue when I had a really bad stomach bug.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I hate interiors that make me think "how the gently caress am I going to hoover up there?" before anything else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Post the toilet chaise, coward!

Antivehicular posted:

I appreciate the correct use of "chaise longue" while telling a story about making GBS threads on one

Do people use it incorrectly?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the peeling wallpaper.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s misspelled “chaise lounge” more often than not.

hosed up if true.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

haha ya just lol at people who have a 35 million dollar-

sold

"I sleep in a hosed-up engine with my prostitutes."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

For a second I thought that was a tiny, tiny rug by the bed.

I think it's a drip tray for sweaty balls?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What the gently caress is the finish on that tallboy. It looks like the laminate on the cabinets at my work.

Have none of you actually seen old furniture? That's a perfectly normal finish for an old piece. The colour is loving ugly but :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

big dyke energy posted:

goddamnit as long as I live I will never stop confusing stromboli and spumoni

anyway

i'm gonna toilet post

BOGA NET NUTZ!
XAXAXA GOTEM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Open plan bog, closed plan everything else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

]A 3800+sf Art Deco/Mid Century Modern fusion house in the middle of nowhere Alabama completely untouched by renovation. Even the furniture and light fixtures look 100% from 1956.

It can be art deco all it wants but it's 100% poo poo art deco.

e: OK the chandelier-and-small-desk-room is fine. Except the chandelier is a crime.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The wallpaper-that-looks-like-cigarette-smoke-staining is very nostalgic to me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

underage at the vape shop posted:

Ok no kid has ever slept in that room

We hope.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are they always unpainted?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

What does your heart tell you

Invest in Eastern Poland.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plus you can't really "waste" wood when building a house with a masonry heater in it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ntan1 posted:

That interior wood design and quality is very good even if it's not my style.

If that's not you're style... have you considered changing [rhymes with hanging] you're style?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

I want to a) know how this is done and b) then do it myself.

The covers are Finnish editions of Donald Duck magazine from the 1960s. :3:

Some of those are definitely 1980s (you can tell by the "signature", and also I remember them). Also it's done like this:

1) build bathroom
2) waterproof
3) glue covers to wall
4) lacquer five times
5) install 100-kg glass with cut-outs for plumbing
6) seal

e: Personally I would leave out the glass as it serves no purpose except long-time protection (which isn't necessary because no-one'll want to look at that for several decades) but your tits have to be real sharp to scratch the shower wall.

ee: That "Christmas Parade" in the lower left corner from 1983 was dope poo poo: all Barks.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 27, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enchanted Hat posted:

The dumbest thing about that wall is that it's all covers. He could have used a single issue and put up the interior pages in order so that you could read the comic on the shower wall.

Well, until you turn on the shower, but the cover version has the same problem.

Ah but you see they are all issues from 1969 (his birth year) and 1983 (her birth year).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

So how long have they been married?

I don't know, I'm just reading the article, not stalking them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

they didnt glue the covers to the wall

They did

they definitely didnt lacquer it in place. Generally people use polyurethane, like boat tables.

And they definitely did

(And a pre-emptive "don't quote a wikipedia at me saying 'BUH-BUH-BUH-BUT THE TEXT ON THE CAN IS WRONG A BLOO BLOO BLOO A BLOO BLOO BLOO'" because you absolutely positively 100% don't have a say in it.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mutata posted:

That TV is at a decent height for watching while sitting on a low-to-normal couch. :colbert:

It's within the boundaries of normal height for normal people as evidenced by this GIS (Google Image Search) result for TV stands:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have no idea what you're trying to say here bud, sorry. I was saying I think they didnt glue the covers to the wall and poly vertically in place they installed it on a board and then installed it hope this helps

I'm going by the article.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Its cool of you to post it too you dork

https://www.iltalehti.fi/asumisartikkelit/a/0d3770c9-9c84-4d67-9021-c2952754a1ec

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I like the towel rack/heater

I had never in my life seen one of those before 1998 which, coincidentally, is when I burned my hand on one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gschmidl posted:

This is truly beyond words (sadly, can't figure out how to embed pictures, but it would also be spoiling it).

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63847551.html

I'm the book that I'm going to assume is all about Jesse Ventura.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

There are things about this house that I kind of love (the bamboo! The built in fish tank!), and things that are incredibly bad.

But the tipping point was "is that sand? That can't be sand. No one would put sand in a house. That's got to be some weirdly textured carpet or something."

No, it's sand. Madness.

That's just how all American floors look given time, as they wear shoes indoors :mmmhmm:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer angel posted:

Nice, but there's no way this place isn't full of spiders.

Looks to be mostly invisible spiders, going by the photos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer angel posted:

Have you ever lived in a house without AC in the middle of the forest!

Literally billions of people have.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

computer angel posted:

Have I hit a nerve? Were you thinking of buying that house? Don't let my aberrant experiences as the spidery house goon dissuade you. I'm sure there's no spiders and only I have spiders. Hell, my cat's a spider right now.

Wät

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like spiders. They're cute and they kill lesser beings.

:rip: Henry Kissinger

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

If I had spiders suddenly appear everywhere, I’d assume the food source is me

Before I call you a bed bug; are you a NYT writer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Rats drink cold water my dude

I drink cold water but I still prefer the hot tub like all the other vermin.

E: oh you mean they've sipped the cold water

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/GeologyTime/status/1173630179572367360

I mean, I like it, but at the same time it feels criminal to destroy crystals that way.

Can't wait to dust that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

In a modern house like ours (built 2013) with a modern "pönttöuuni" with secondary combustion of the flue gasses, in addition to the traditional deign of smoke channels to extract heat, we're around 70-80% efficiency.

Even "antique" masonry heaters are pretty efficient; they figured out pulling air* back down from the chimney ages ago (no idea how it works).

*) Well, "air".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

In Danish, the gist of it is "needs some TLC". But the interesting thing is the slideshow.

You'll know it when you see it.

https://www.edc.dk/alle-boliger/vanl%c3%b8se/2720/s%c3%b8ndervigvej-16/?sagsnr=27202583

I didn't know it when I saw it :confused:

Anyway, I'm the silly penis parquet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the stage curtain toilet, maybe it's not too high up on the weirdness scale.

Oh, I didn't see it as remarkable because it's in the basement/garage and the place is all stripped down anyway so there may have been partition walls there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Since we're now doing ads in moon languages, feast your eyes on this gem from the 80s:

https://www.etuovi.com/kohde/1195548

How Russian is the previous owner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010