Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://theartifox.com/products/desk-02-walnut?variant=30724558545

Where do I get a desk like that that isn't $1400 cause thats loving ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I want to make my own desk more than anything but my current arrangements make it impossible/overly expensive. I like the clean design, and the solid top. I hate this piece of poo poo ikea desk that I have now, it's a big laminate box filled with cardboard. I don't need or want draws or shelves, but I do want a fat desk, the width is good. I mean, width in the direction you are looking in when you sit at the desk, I hate the monitor being up close. My main monitor right now is half off the back off the desk, touching the wall. The desks like this at physical stores near where i work are all real skinny. The cable management is really cool, I wouldn't use the felt things, I just like the slot and how it's not just a straight hole.

E: Also I'm in Australia.
Eagain: Lack of cable management isn't a dealbreaker. I'm happy to figure that out myself, I don't see an issue with screwing stuff into the back/bottom of the desk, assuming it can support it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 16, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You could buy a kitchen countertop and put legs on it.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing that, I am definitely able to put stuff together myself. The legs from your site TB ship free here, the table tops are $359US in shipping, but I'll look into sourcing stuff locally

That would suit me perfectly, the depth of it would let me put my monitors the same distance away as they are now and not have them overhang off the edge of the desk. Australia Ikea doesn't have that table but I'll go have a look what they do have. I'm a little biased against them, mum furnished the house almost exclusively with Ikea furniture. Actually the desk I'm using now is from Ikea, it's a big block of laminate filled with cardboard. It's being held together by half a roll of duct tape. I hate it so much, but to be fair, mum bought it for me when I was like 14 so its had a long life, considering. The Ikea tables look like they are solid though, and I'm working next to one tomorrow, so I'll go have a look.

Hambilderberglar posted:

this for uhhh... going on a decade now, though I emphatically recommend you do not do what I did and get the glass worktop.

Yeah glass sounds like a pain the butt. Luckily, I really like timber. That's a sweet table too.

PRADA SLUT posted:

$1400 for a desk is pretty cheap considering a good desk will last longer than you will. $1400 for something you never have to buy again sounds like a good deal to me. That's like $35 a year.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah but - and I don't think this should become a class warfare thread because everybody's got a different income level and has the right to enjoy life to the extent that they can afford - when I was younger $1400 was like my spending money for an entire year.
I can't justify $1400 for a slab of wood on 4 little sticks with 20 minutes of routing. Thats a bit ridiculous, and I haven't seen it in person so I can't even tell if it's well built. A $1400 US desk is probably closer to 2500 AUD after Australia tax and currency conversion, if I found them here.

The site makes me feel like they are cashing in on the bespoke artisinal craftsmanship hype. I don't mind spending money for quality but I don't get the feeling there's going to be $1400 worth of quality there. If I saved up I could afford it, but the price of it offends me more than the lovely cardboard construction of Ikea desks.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you! Everything I know about heated floors comes from watching Holmes on Homes (notably an episode where he made a big deal out of installing them in a Los Angeles remodel and the homeowners were like "uh we don't even have a furnace but... thanks?") but I think as long as you don't cut corners on material or skilled labor you should be fine.

For a smaller shower space like yours I'd definitely want to minimize grout, if only because there's not much space to maneuver for hardcore scrubbing. Have you considered wall panels instead? I think they can look pretty cool and the big pitch from all the manufacturers seems to be effortless cleaning

My dad used to build bathrooms for a living, FWIW these in nice colours (like these 2) look real good, in bright vibrant colours I always thought they turned out tacky. I'm talking like bright blue and red. ick.

My dad actually got a kickback from one of the Australian manufacturers of these, one of the chemicals used for installing these is safe if it doesn't get through the top layer (which normally it can't), but it gets through the holes you make for taps etc, and makes them crack. He was the one to figure that out, I don't think they use that chemical anymore because of it. I don't remember what it was, I was still a kid when it happened. Might have been methylated spirits I think, for cleaning the gunk off after the install. If you go that route, that's something to look into, because if you crack it while cleaning you gotta rebuild the whole wall.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 17, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That is a fantastic bathroom

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The only thing i hate about that bathroom is the toilet, toilets deserve their own room.

What happens if you gotta poop but someones in the shower? You're screwed. Bathroom toilets are the worst idea ever.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You hold it for ten minutes or walk to one of the other bathrooms??

if you got room for multiple bathrooms then why aren't the toilets seperate!!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

You reminded me of the thing that I think is really gonna go out of fashion quick, those horrible glue-on mosaic panels for kitchen backsplashes.

I think as a general rule of thumb, cheap shortcuts and artificial/simulated finishes get the sledgehammer, while expensive stuff becomes "charmingly retro!" A high-end stainless-steel range is never going to be a detriment to selling a house, but wood laminate flooring, even though I think it looks nice currently, might be.

My dad was installing these in bathrooms 10+ years ago, I don't think they are going away

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

im pretty sure ive taken a poo poo in that

that seriously looks like a modern australian park toilet

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 23, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Youth Decay posted:

My dream house here

This is the coolest house I have ever seen, but what happens when it hails

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

For sale in my area: cute cottage-style home built in 1930. Just ignore the leopard-print carpet throughout the downstairs.

No, I'm not kidding:

does the table come with the house?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jaded Burnout posted:

I broke the 2300K rule and put recessed lights throughout the house, but that's on the basis that they're there for when I need to loving see please, with lamps and other less glaring lighting for normal use.

whats the 2300k rule

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

It's been touched on a little before in the thread, but here's an interesting piece on how stuff like instagram is having a sort of gentrifying effect on interior decoration.

I noticed this when looking for ideas the other day. If you go on reddit, they are all incredibly samey.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
what do i look at if i want to get good ideas? i need to see examples of what to do rather than what not to, like the past few pages or the popular sterile samey stuff on reddit.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cakesmith handyman posted:

You need to start with the problem, not the solution. What's "wrong" that needs fixing?

I moved into a new place and its all bland and I really don't like it. It doesn't feel like home. I've never really put effort into it before so I don't know where to start other than saving poo poo I like from this thread

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cakesmith handyman posted:

Step 1: make a layout, it can be as simple as scribbled on an envelope
Step 2: show us the layout and pics of the space and tell us what you want to do (i.e. I need space for my collection of severed thumbs and creepy dolls, i bake cookies twice an hour, I need space to lock missing hitchhikers) and we'll give you advice.

That sounds really good, but layout etc isn't really my problem, I'm just clueless when it comes to style.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
what a sad life where you have to pick the thing you hate over enjoying your space

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
prada slut what does you house look like?

E: genuinely curious. I really appreciate minimalist style.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 23, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

see you post that as an own but i could dig that depending on how they finish it

E: it has potential although i hate indoor plants and raised areas

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

who the heck hates a plant

i find them tacky. E: I think plants in houses is a very American thing, you don't really see indoor plants in Australia like you do on the internet. Over here you might have a lil cactus or a bonsai, but bigger plants are for waiting rooms. Maybe it's different in the bigger cities but Brisbane is very green outside anyway, even in the city itself, so maybe people here just don't feel the need. I'm within an hour from the cbd and I'm within day trip distance to quite a lot of forests, mountains and national parks. I can just go outside and be surrounded by a million cockatoos in a million gumtrees. Maybe also, subreddits like r/malelivingspace have made me think bad of them because You Need Plants is something they obsess about, and they have plants just to have plants, they use them terribly. Who wants a big fake palm tree in their otherwise clean modern loungeroom?

I really hate fake plants full stop. They are mostly used by trendy cafes and bars trying to manufacture an atmosphere and thats what I think when I see them.

PRADA SLUT posted:

There's a Roomba surgery happening on the counter but I have a picture from before

e:

No screen yet for the mount :negative:

Looks good man. Is that a genuine eames?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
link?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
sorry I meant the crazy bathroom man

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
lmao at the saying "I want more than your plebian builder grade bathrooms I am an experienced diy god :smug:" right after ruining the structural integrity of his floor

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 6, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PRADA SLUT posted:

also, open floor plans won't die out, but they'll move out of the "suburban moms who watch house flippers and anchor their existence on pinterest boards" and back into just being the "bicycling dink yuppies in downtown highrises"

also, shiplap, nautical themes, barn doors, damask patterns, word art, are all turd designs and I welcome their deathknell

next can we get rid of obnoxious oversized brown leather dadchairs for MANLY sitting in the MAN office with MASCULINE mahogany veneer desks

Not that I disagree with you but you do own an eames chair

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Too proud to admit he was wrong, hes right about to drop a hint we are all getting strung along I can feel it

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bEatmstrJ posted:

That being said, unless my rudimentary understanding of science is completely flawed, if you want to put something in the ground, you have to dig a hole. As far as I know, there's no way around that. If, in the process of digging that hole I happen to break a gas line, well, that's a mistake that needs to be fixed. But alas, no gas lines were broken.

You dumbass, it's like knowing full well there are gas pipes there, getting warned there are gas pipes there, seeing that the gas pipes are an important structural part of the house, and cutting into them anyway without researching what you are looking at. You're dumb as gently caress. You're so far up yourself you can't see that. You're trying to justify it with slimy, sleazy salesman talk, you're too thick to see that your pitch is to yourself and you're selling the lie of competence. You're a case study for the dunning kruger effect.

Post the pics.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

nielsm posted:

I built a small shelving unit when I had a bunch of open space above my toilet, and actually needed some storage for toiletries.
Since I took this photo I've also begun stacking fresh rolls of TP on top of it.

It looks really good but keeping your shaving gear above where you poop doesnt gross you out? Like, at all?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
people here made fun of me for not liking house plants a while ago. i took a look on reddit and i remembered why

some dude posted this:

Lets take a look at the comments

some other dude:

top comment:

Yeah just chuck a plant on the table that will make it a well designed and quality "Male Living Space"

Then there's this dude

This is peak r/malelivingspace. They loving love it. The only thing it needs is a fake unused eames chair in a corner of a room as a $1200 space waster.

This is why I hate plants. You just HAVE to have them. They are the one stop solution to all your design issues and needs.

They are tacky and make you house look like a shopping center food court. Plants belong outside. Small pot plants for effect like a bonsai or a cactus can be good though

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 5, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Alternatively those rooms are fine and you're just a weirdo.

i like 1 and 2 has potential and is unfinished (especially lol at this one and all the redditors saying add plants and ur donezo), number 3 throwout most of those plants especially that giant ugly big one and then you're golden

The Bloop posted:

:420: username/post etc

you gotta be stealth

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is this a joke post? The spaces with the plants and artwork in them look objectively better than the ones without- especially that awkward one with the desk serving double duty as a media stand(?) Also Eames chairs rule, all of them.

Sorry a reddit board got A Thing right.

That college room isn’t an example of good design. It’s the fact that plants are the automatic solution. If you go look at that thread, people say they absolutely love that room and it’s minimalist aesthetic but just add plants. That last one is horrible, why the gently caress do you have a palm tree inside your bedroom? What is going on with that giant monstrousity in the lounge room? You seriously think that is both functional and good looking?

Eames chairs are good and comfy. People don’t buy them for that. They buy them to have them because mcm is good!!!! Complete the checklist!!!! And put it in some awkward corner where it will obviously never be used. That subreddit in particular is full of Eames armchairs being used as space filler. They are the everyday carry pocketknife of the perfect “Male Living Space”

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 5, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

PRADA SLUT posted:

i don't think people are dropping 6k on an Eames as an accent piece because ~~mcm~~

The fake ones they actually buy are much cheaper. I know you have one and I'm not talking about yours, which is in the middle of your room. I'm talking about the ones that are in an awkward corner under a tv that you know barely get used just by looking at how its placed in the room. Similar to those show loungerooms the thread was discussing a few pages back, the people who were being discussed drop way more than 6k on those rooms.

E: I don't hate mcm by the way I think its great. I hate the obsessiveness. I also don't hate designs on reddit for that other dude, my desk is the same ikea butcher block you see everywhere on there.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 5, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Cookies posted:

The tree is bad.

im glad someone gets me.

heres the full album of tree dude btw: https://imgur.com/gallery/JuJMSxA

good:

what are thooooose

E: lol at his masculine as heck spirits collection next to his breakfast table.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 7, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I think he's talking about these dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-C7AAvSslk

i made a thread about them in gbs
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868227

opinions on wall rugs, y/n.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Is it washable, y/n.

its self cleaning like an oven

e: oh the rugs. I would hope so :stare:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

I feel the same way about the shell cabinets. That would look really good on like a fountain.

the residenz in munich has a shell fountain and it's very old and faded but it's pretty cool when you see it in person.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Long before I had a smart phone capable of decent photos I looked at a terrible DIY monstrosity of a house with a bathroom that looked like that fountain does. Add a layer of gold gilt and less precision in the shell arrangement, and that was it.

photos make it look really bad. in person its still incredibly ugly, but its weird because it still looks okay? I guess because the person who built it was an ancient german master decorator vs some dude. wonder what it looked like before it was covered in centuries of dust and grime and got all sunfaded.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as someone who likes wood paneling, you can have too much of a good thing. Also that's all clearly plywood.

Thats the point

It does look good when it's done wellimo. I never made the connection but there are a number of Maori run businesses that are done like that. Once you get over the fact that it's plywood being used like that, in person it looks good (the examples posted here do not look good)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Turqoise got its name from the french going to turkey and being really REALLY impressed with all the blue tiles like the ones above. Like its the word for Turkish in French (I'm assuming the s is silent and us dumb english speakers are too unsophisticated). Rich Europeans did that a lot, they'd encounter a new culture with some thing and copy the poo poo out of it, and all the rich dudes in the other european nations just have to have it too. Check out the blue mosque in Turkey, its cool.

Back with some more r/malelivingspace gems:

loft-cave

help meee i need advice

MUST HAVE AN EAMES CHAIR MUST HAVE MANY PLANTS

Special non retarded mention, this is a real good dorm imo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the supreme one is atleast coherent yeah and the dude is a streetwear/shoe freelance photographer but god drat does it tick all the hypebest boxes, even down to the figurines. the POWER is the perfect finishing touch