Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut posted:

Lol just lol if your living space can't be described as "Hogwartsesque"

You mean like this...

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No one ever believes me when I tell them what is in my parents bathroom.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the original 1960s tiles and carpet. Yes you read that right, 1960s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I thought it couldn’t get stranger than the cowboy sea turtles chair but then I saw the Rocky Racoon Chair.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One thing I don’t see ever in this thread is dado rails? Do Americans not do that thing where you split the wall in half with a dado rail and then paint the bottom half a darker colour? I don’t think I’ve ever been in a British house without this.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:lol: if you think that’s a hoarder house. Having a few things out on a table is normal, a minamalist throw out all your possessions ethos is fine if that’s your thing, making everyone else feel like poo poo for not subscribing to your lifestyle is deeply uncool.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

She's pregnant and been feeling like poo poo and I work all weekend, so yeah it's a bit of a mess atm

It’s really not you know, it looks like a normal lived in house with your memories out on display :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Although my kitchen surfaces and dining room table must be KEPT CLEAR AT ALL TIMES, and ALL DUST MUST DIE stuff tends to accumulate on sides and tables until it annoys me and I blitz it. There are six of us in a 3 bedroom house and I’m the only one who does housework - if I instantly tidied up every time someone left something out I’d never sit down.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have cappuccino in half of my hallway (it’s half and half) and from testing a pale blue gloss on the doors looked better than the navy - made it look too dark.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hell same, It is my honour to present “duck and gargoyle” elegantly displayed on a wood with a modern turquoise, light mocha, and biscuit floral background.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can paint any color you like so long as your pieces and layout are interesting, but if you’ve got boring-rear end furnishings and a bland design, no paint is going to suddenly turn the room around. White just accentuates your furniture more, which for some people is something they want to take attention away from.

But what if I’m really poor and my furniture is all poo poo so I want to use paint to help create a friendly and cheerful family home for very little money? :ohdear:

In all seriousness. You know what flat white paint isn’t? Wipeable. Even if you are a single male living on their own with no hope of any woman ever stepping in there, there is always the risk of a splash from cooking or a wet coat being taken off. Plus you can’t scowl spiders, insects and dust away so white paint just looks increasingly grubby over time. I’d much rather use a silk or kitchen/bathroom paint that can be cleaned as part of normal housework.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s a small room to you?

I’ve got two teenagers, bunk beds, a wardrobe, a chest of draws, and a computer desk in a room that size with no closet. :lol:

I can’t help feeling once again that the UK is getting stiffed on room sizes :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't understand the racist part one bit tbh? Is there some british inside stuff I am missing?

EDIT: And maybe I am going too far here by pointing this out, but I googled the area and populations of our respective countries
UK area: 242,495 km², population: 65 million
Finland: 338,424 km². population: 5 million

Either way you slice it to my finnish sense of proportions that's a whole helluva lot of people on an island smaller than Finland.

EDIT2: Our house is a neat 121m² in living area, I think that's a perfect size, the yard is 2345m² and I got 30-35m² shop space. I wish I had a few hectares of forest to be honest.

Yeh you are missing something :) It was incredibly ironic and unfortunate with that combo that you managed to use a catchphrase used by British racist groups like the BNP, UKIP, and the daily mail when they are advocating for the removal of anyone not-white from the UK. It was obviously a complete accident but the British will make a gasping sound and look shocked if you say it in any context in public just because of the connotations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think I just discovered that America and Canada don't have villages, which is a bit alien to me but you can understand how 20 colonists setting up on their own would have a bad time . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village

A lot of European towns and cities are a collection of villages which have expanded so much the gap between them has closed. Some towns, like mine, haven't had the gaps close completely but for the sake of administration they are all part of the same town. The people living in the latter areas still consider them to be separate villages though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you still have them in New England or has everything closed up now?

I know, I know, America Big so what's normal one end of the country will be radically different the other end :).

Edit: the English setting up villages in a place they named New England is the most English thing I've ever heard of.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I said “I think” right at the start because someone told me they didn’t, which is why I asked. :/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hourglass table, my nan had one and it lasts 30 minutes. you flip the whole thing when you are playing your amusing 1950s party games such as “p for purple” so that they stay amusing and don’t drag on for chuffing hours.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It kind of reminds me of a family room in a hospital as it is now, personally I would add a really big houseplant in a big pot on the floor, bring some life and colour in to it. Failing that, a cat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is the house old enough to have had a cold pantry or a “coal hole”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s relatively common in the UK, also good for finding cheap flats to rent because people are perfectly happy to pay well under the going rent rate for the inconvenience of being able to hear drunk people shouting in the kebab shop below for a few hours a night.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:haw: those two bedrooms and that bathroom are about the size of my actual two large bedrooms and only bathroom. The other two bedrooms are one room also that size converted into two “box rooms” and can literally only fit a single bed in them.

My house is considered quite large by UK standards.

Meanwhile If I were in Australia I could pick up a second hand wooden house from the side of the road for $11k AUS , that’s twice the size of it and have it delivered to the farm. (Disclaimer, farm may be at risk of fire and/or flooding, possibly in the same month, buyer purchases wooden house at own risk)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it were me, I’d get somone in to put plywood covers over that piping. Handyman did ours in the kitchen of the last house and it cost me about a hundred quid. Given how much better the room looked it was money well spent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Southern Heel posted:

^ I would expect a net and a regular curtain, but I guess a sheer/net alone will work because I'm not getting much direct light?

How high was the box?CAn you show a picture of what youmean? (i.e. faux skirting, some half-height shelf, etc.. )?

I moved lol. I remebered that the trade term is “plywood pipe boxing” though, google image search throws up a load of different types, a lot of them linking to product pages :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For how awful grey and orange are together, see: McLaren F1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

I think it’s actually meant for An Art statue.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My sewing room has two shorter width mcm dining tables, one for the machine one for cutting out. There are two bedside tables under one of them for all the accumulated sewing stuff. My sewing chair is a leather bar stool that goes up and down - tried a desk chair with no arms but it was too low. I’ve also used a long fold down trestle table for cutting out.

Trust me on this one: Resist the temptation to go long on the machine table, machine bounce is real and horrible. Nothing quite like watching your £1k quilting machine getting some sweet air.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Holy poo poo. Please dont make your children sit on the floor and eat at the counter. “We don’t like our new house, mummy and daddy make us sit in the floor and eat standing up” Leads to concerned middle aged ladies taking them away.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Prada you seem child free, which is fine and dandy, but please please just don’t lecture parents on what is or isn’t acceptable ducks. Today in both America, Canada, and Europe, deliberately not having appropriate furniture is “cause for concern”

When I was a kid we had single glazing and I once woke up with my face frozen to the window. Let’s just assume that these people will be including chairs in their minimalist lifestyle shall we.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 27, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hey I didn’t make the rules. Let me tell you about the happy board.

In a lot of schools pretty much anywhere in the developed world (I assume there was a popular book) it is a thing where when a child comes in in the morning they put a face with their mood on it next to their name. Too many sad faces and nice kindly people sit them down and ask them why they are sad all the time.

There is also a list that gets ticked on home visits and FYI it happens with custody cases as well. “Appropriate place to eat” and “appropriate place to sit” are right at the top of the list.

It’s absolutely nuts but here we are.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Because he gleefully dunks on people who post pictures of their homes, insults them and calls them hoarders for such disgusting behaviour as having things on a coffee table, and once told me that I wasn’t trying hard enough if I couldn’t feed a family of six in a kitchen with no cupboards. That’s why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m very confused by that giant wooden wall with the window and that other square thing that looks like a giant pane of glass. Are they parts of a stage set? Look like they are a monumental waste of school resources whatever they are.