Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, just came across this magnificent reference for anyone that likes to dabble with home design. I'm sure many of you have heard about it, but it's The Measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in Design, full digitized. https://www.scribd.com/doc/123283206/The-Measure-of-Man-and-Woman . Has a ton of measurements and layouts that are useful for spitballing room sizes and layouts. Did you know it's ideal to have 22" of space between a wall and a bed in order to make it, but 48" in order to clean under it? NOW YOU DO! (Hop to page 52 for the home design stuff)

Nice find for the digital version, but I highly recommend picking up a paper copy as well, it is an excellent reference to have near your bench or drawing table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Southern Heel posted:

Wife has asked if we can keep the smallest bedroom as a spare bedroom for guests and the mother in law. This means unless I want a transient working space around the house, I'm going to need to set up "my" space in the shed or garage. The latter is 5m x 3m of concrete block construction with a pitched tarpaper roof. It would need finishing, and whatever else needs to house a home gym and workbench/tools. It doesn't seem like it'd be a nice space to relax in.

The shed is 9' x 9' with a corner cut off for big glazed double doors. It as insulation and power. I can't help but think this would be nicer even if it's much smaller. I was hoping for a timeless dark wood/leather aesthetic but not only can I find any modest ideas, I can't find ANY small mancaves in that kind of space. Any thoughts?

What kind of hobby is the workbench and tools for, and what kind of gym equipment?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Catching up on the thread, but on the Raleigh chat from a few pages back:

Raleigh is becoming the place to have your second engineering office. Wether you are a SF tech company or a Charlotte banking/finance company or a NY/BOS corridor company making software for investment/stock trading, if you have difficulty finding or retaining talent in your local market, or want to pay less than the going rate in your local market, then just open up a Raleigh Dev office. You can pay 70-80% of what you'd pay in your home location, have access to an untapped labor pool, and your employees will love it because while they are only making 70-80% of their SF colleagues, the cost of living is waaaaaaaaaaay lower. Also the weather is decent (but summers are hot and miserably humid).

If you feel like you can't afford to buy a house in Raleigh then your main option is SE Raleigh (which is historically black and thanks to racism has depressed real estate values). I moved here 10 years ago cause I was poor af at the time and it's the only place I could afford. It hasn't gentrified yet (but unfortunately I can see it coming).

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ahem. I hate neutral greige because it reminds me of boomers and gen x-ers in the suburbs.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

cheese eats mouse posted:

looking at dribbble this has been 2017's color though

Dribble contributors are truly thought and style leaders...

I like how it's close to what will likely be a reasonable description of 2018 as a whole: Ultra Violent

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just posting to say that we got multiple quality Prada Slut posts in a row and all you folks can think to do is the exact thing they said you would.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

there wolf posted:

In one ear, out the other. You should go pick up that Konmari book as well, pay special attention to the parts where the author explains how being an obtuse, judgemental dick about people's relationships with stuff made people really dislike her.

You're reading your own internal narrative about a person, not the words that are in the post. Hth.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

learnincurve posted:

Because he gleefully dunks on people who post pictures of their homes, insults them and calls them hoarders for such disgusting behaviour as having things on a coffee table, and once told me that I wasn’t trying hard enough if I couldn’t feed a family of six in a kitchen with no cupboards. That’s why.

Don't get me wrong, Prada Slut has made some lovely, lovely posts in the past.

But these aren't those posts.

You folks coming out of the woodwork to try and dunk on Prada are just coming across as a bunch of shrill reactive jerks because you're showing that you aren't responding to content, but instead to your mental image of the person delivering the content.

None of y'all are gonna successfully achieve minimalism when you let someone else live in your head rent free like this.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well it makes sense doesn't it for americans, you're so damned mobile, moving everywhere for jobs, you don't live long in a single place so it seems natural to me that you would not consider it "your home" and that you're thinking of the next move a few years away to some other place in the US and what price you can get for the house when selling it.

I kinda loathe this talk of mobile labour forces being spewed by local pundits and how it's supposed to be so good for the economy if we all just live on the beck and call of capital and never put down roots, well there's more to life than the economy. I got zero plans to move from this house or to sell it. Not saying that can't happen (though unlikely), but the plan is to live here until I die.

Dude, when I read what you write about living in Finland, it sounds really nice. The critique of the US for having allowed capital to destroy our sense of community and communal identity is on point.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Every time I try to get my wife to make some decisions regarding interior design she outs it off because we "have more important things to take care of first" (which never can be enumerated). I had the gall to caulk some baseboard gaps and fill in nail holes to prep for painting and you'd think I was the worst person ever for not using that time for ... I still don't know what. This task has been pending for months. It has to happen sometime!

Legitimately this sounds like someone with issues they should talk to a counselor or therapist about, unless you are leaving out some key details about your lives. Is one of you unemployed? Are you under significant financial strain? Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?

What you described sounds nonsensical so I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

underage at the vape shop posted:

That sounds really good, but layout etc isn't really my problem, I'm just clueless when it comes to style.

So post photos then?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I did, in post-overnight haze of neglect regarding "who knows what about my life." We have a two-month old, and she is tenure-track faculty. She's breastfeeding, so no matter what proportion of baby-raising burden I shoulder, there will always be a second-shift effect for her. And no, no other signs of symptoms of post-partum depression, just the stressors of first-time parenting manifesting in dismissal of the need to take care of things other than Ein Scheissmonster. Obviously the kid comes first, but we can't put everything else on hold or they'll be an utter catastrophe by the time he's in school.

To be perfectly fair to her, she probably would not complain if I just made every home-owning decision without her, but I do not trust my capacity not to turn a reasonably attractive home into a horrorshow.

I do have to laugh at the jump from very logical concerns such as "is tetrapyloctomy going to bankrupt the household" (which I am not, we are well off and would be even if she decided not to work or did not get tenure) to "Does she feel alienated or distant from you and fears that you focusing on the house will keep you away?"

Sup having-a-two-month old buddy.

I'm in a very different situation as my wife is staying at home, but I hear you on time demands and trying to be there to help as much as you can but not really being able to do nearly as much as you might both like due to the breastfeeding.

Again, if you want help share pics and explain what you don't like about your current interior design situation.

As for my guesses, I had little to go on other than what seemed like a very irrational response from your partner, which usually speaks to bigger issues (in this case it was the extra stressor of the newborn while being in a stressful work situation, rather than maybe relationship stuff.) Curious as to why you think the suggestion of a partner feeling distant, alienated, or just lonely is an absurd possibility? Dudes are usually oblivious af to this.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

underage at the vape shop posted:

what a sad life where you have to pick the thing you hate over enjoying your space

lifeundercapitalism.txt?

This already applies to occupations, why not just have it apply to where you live as well? If we could also turn where you live into a physical retirement account as well that would be even better.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Late to the Emeco and knockoff thread, but the only knockoff Emeco chairs were made by General Fireproofing under the Goodform who ceased manufacturing them in the 70's

Still solid finds on the used market tho.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Loucks posted:

Furniture chat is exactly my interest right now. Supposing I wanted to design my home’s interior with genuinely nice furniture, where would I go? I honestly don’t know where to start. For example, I want legitimately high quality wood bedroom furniture that’s not just pulp glued together and held together with pot metal fasteners. Searching for “heirloom” furniture just landed me a bunch of semi-local Amish woodworking shops since I’m not so far from Amish country. Maybe that’s the way to go, but I’m leery of spending >$6k on a bed and nightstand just because “Amish” is in the shop’s name.

e: damnit. Someone at least post a link to earlier discussion on this?

Seconding the Room and Board suggestions as a good place to start. As Kaiser said above, it can be hit or mix so definitely read reviews for the soecific item you are interested in. They've brought access to many small-ish domestic furniture companies together under their marketing/design/sales umbrella, and what they sell is what I'd call "high quality" furniture.

Also echoing "solid wood =/= quality. A 5-ply lumber-core lumber-banded panel was the height of quality taught to us when I audited furniture manufacturing courses at NCSU in the oughts (audited because I was in industrial design not industrial engineering). Not much has changed as far as what is considered quality to my knowledge, other than the realization that the lumber-core part was probably overkill and quality plywood or even mdf core made an even more stable panel. Just because MDF is listed as a material doesn't immediately mean low-quality (much as "solid-wood" doesn't immediately mean "high-quality" if you look at a lot of palm wood imports etc)

What has changed is the continued destruction of this industry domestically, and changing buying habits (more moving plus fast fashion/design trends plus housing taking up a higher % of an often precarious household budget means less $ to big durable goods purchases like furniture). Technology to "fake" quality signifiers have also continued to improve (we bought a sauder cabinet to throw in an alcove to serve as a second pantry at the start of covid, we knew what we were getting, but I was still a bit taken aback by how good the grain simulation has gotten on foil, foil! Not even veneer, and it lines up with the grain perfectly! Of course you can't hide the fact that ot was printed as a loupe will show you the ink dots from the printer).

Bit of a ramble but maybe helpful?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, I won't say "the presence of particle board means this furniture is low-quality garbage" but I also won't come to its defense like I will for Ply and MDF, which both do have their appropriate places where they are equivalent if not superior to other options.

Also if your budget is north of 6k for a bed do look into local-ish custom furniture builders, you may be surprised by what you can get that way.

(Another conversation entirely is how the Festool Domino has impacted the custom furniture builder market by increasing their efficiency because hoo boy I don't think anyone could've predicted that and anyone who wants to poo poo on domino joinery does not understand wood or adhesives.)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Jaded Burnout posted:

The only thing I'll poo poo on is the price point on the tool, but heck maybe there really is an £850 gap in results between a domino cutter and a biscuit cutter on a router.

Agreed, they developed and patented the tool, build it in germany, and price it accordingly. It absolutely is not equivalent to a biscuit jointer, but if you want to do domino-esque loose tenon joinery (even using the actual dominos for standardization / repeatability) and you have more time, then it can be accomplished with a router and jigs (this youtube channel has a lot of examples of "domino joinery without a domino")

I'm going to buy one this Christmas, and wish I had bought one years ago.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

actionjackson posted:

when that room and board dresser says ..."Made by North Dakota woodworkers who hand select the finest solid wood veneer or low-emission MDF" what does that mean? I thought veneer was just something that went on top of something else. it makes it sound like some of the products are just veneers.

Veneer is a thin slice of wood, face veneers are used for three reasons:

1. Economy, to make a clear attractive log cover many times more surface area than it would if only solid wood was used.

2. Stability, veneer can be applied on top of a more stable substrate or assembly, reducing movement compared to a solid wood construction.

3. Visual presentation, marquetry can create visual presentations that would be extremely difficult to near impossible if done with "solid wood"

Non-face veneers are used for three primary reasons:

1. Stability+Strength, by assembling a panel with alternating grains and adhesive you make something that is strong in both directions and stable

2. Standardization, furniture factories dedicate a *ton* of effort to optimize solid wood, and veneer logs, and the resulting panels, can dramatically reduce this constant processing overhead.

3.. Additive forming, this mostly applies to bent laminations, but veneer can be used structurally to create parts that would be incredibly wasteful with a purely subtractive process.

Now back to your post:

That ad copy you cited is saying that they hand select (using their professional judgement) and then use it to create panels on MDF that is low in VOCs and other harmful chemicals.

Addendum: the only hill I will defend MDF on is as the center of a 5-ply lumber banded panel, or as jig material.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Loucks posted:

As a newcomer who in all honesty isn’t going to read every single preceding page: is the joke here just homogenization, because unless the lens is doing some massive distortion that space looks hellish to actually use.

Also continuing to appreciate the furniture chat and actually feeling like I’m learning something and getting good resources to check out.

Lmao at the kitchen triangle designed by mc escher. This is a kitchen for eating takeout in.

More seriously: yes, its the homogenization of surface treatments and features in a way that is meant to check off boxes for the property listing and impress the potential buyers when they first see it, but with little thought about long term use.

Btw Nancy Hiller's book Kitchen Think is absolutely excellent for learning how to think about the daily usage and optimization of kitchen spaces.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 14, 2020

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1000-S-Valley-Rd_Olathe_KS_66061_M95414-89406?cid=other_shares_core_ldp#photo10

this is one of those houses where you scroll through the pictures like "meh" until you get to THE ONE

Dude how are you going to sell in this market if you don't have an eat-in hot tub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
[vibes industrially]