Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Baronjutter posted:

I seriously get a facial tick every time I see a house that has BIG and INSPIRATIONAL words on their wall about LOVE and LIFE are the MEANING for FAMILY.
We were staying at an Airbnb that had that poo poo all over and I seriously wanted to take them down for our stay because they enraged and disgusted me every time I saw them and i can't wait for that trend to die, well it's officially dead because it's not the early 2000's anymore but people haven't gotten the message yet.

It's like working at an office that unironically posts "successory" posters all over telling me to work hard or attain my career goals. I don't need a loving sign in my house telling me to love life creatively or that happiness and joy are found in a house filled with family and love.

There was one of those in the entryway of our house when we bought it. Tore it off the wall and put up coathooks and a shelf with bins for gloves and hats. Turning fugly and worthless into tasteful and useful for a total investment of like $30.

Edit:

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Remember, design principles dictate that any room with a motto wall also feature discreet buckets or wastebaskets for your guests to vomit in upon entering.

Isn't that the prayer that opens/closes AA meetings?

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What if I wrote LIVE LAUGH LOVE on all the appliances

Incidentally, googling for illustrations of the concept led me to this horror:

HI WELCOME TO MY PINK LIVING ROOM I KNOW A DEAD PERSON DO YOU KNOW ANY DEAD PEOPLE WE'LL ALL DIE SOMEDAY WANNA DO DECOUPAGE WITH THESE OLD MAGAZINES I PUT ON THE FLOOR?

I can't decide if the eye-searing pink or the inanity of the quote or the jarring font mismatch offends me most. It's just so... loving... painful to look at.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Staged model home for a development, most likely. The "pantry" probably has stuff they don't want people walking off with (signage, files, etc.).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you really hate it, couldn't you just fill it with soil and have it be a container garden?

Without punching some drainage holes first, it would just end up becoming a muddy pit the first time it rains heavily.

I favor the trampoline option, personally.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bad Munki posted:

Heck yeah, unless Post-Apocalyptic Decay is the aesthetic you're after, in which case, you're set.

So.... Brutalist civic architecture +20 years?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Parasol Prophet posted:

So, how hard is it to undo one of those wall textures? The house I'm moving into has textured walls everywhere. Normally I'd live with it, but they're in an upstairs room I want to paint (and also have no idea what to do with).

Semi-related paint questions: This room has that ceiling-wall combination that looks kind of like a trapezoid sitting on top of a rectangle from one side (I do not know what this is called), but the angles where the ceiling meets the walls are curved, not sharp. How should I paint this? The strip of actual flat ceiling in the middle is pretty thin, too. I want to go with a pale green, but will that look weird if I continue it all the way up and do the ceiling that way too? Or should I just try to mark off a line and hope for the best?

I'm almost leaning toward trying to do a semi-ombre thing and have the wall and ceiling colors just subtly blend into each other along the angled walls (just for fun, it's a little hobby room and if it doesn't work I can repaint it later), but the texture will probably make this look weird. Thoughts?

For the first question: it's a pain in the rear end. It's not hard, just messy and takes a while. For the swirly-looking or splatter kind on walls, you really just need a spray bottle and a sander. Dampen the surface to keep the dust down and go to town with the sanding. Make sure you cover the floor, because it gets everywhere. Getting rid of popcorn ceilings is a similar but worse process--wet it down and scrape it off. It's worse because you're basically doomed to spending hours with your hands over your head and your neck craned back.

For the second: can you post a pic? It sounds kinda like you have a tray ceiling with walls that curve up to meet the tray. If that's the case, I'd just paint everything up to the tray in the wall color. But it'd be helpful to see what you're dealing with.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'll try and get one when I get home. I don't think it's a tray ceiling, though-- more like the shape of a barn, I guess? But flat on top. It's the kind of room that's only like that because of how the roof slopes, if that helps.

And ugh, I was hoping you could just plaster over it or something. I have the almost-popcorn-but-not-quite that's in the first photo on that tweet. Which sounds like the most annoying to get rid of.

There's so much I feel like I need to replace/fix in this house, but just the thought of it all feels so daunting and complicated that I can't even get the motivation to start. (Not just things like textured walls-- pretty much all the trim has peeling/chipping paint, floors are stained and dirty, there are spiders everywhere... I'm pretty sure this house was vacant for much longer than I anticipated.)

For everyone who's done this kind of thing before, how do you get over this? Where do you begin?

So it sounds like it's really a vaulted ceiling that has a smooth transition to the walls? That makes sense. You can try to enforce a transition either with a clean line at the base of the curve or, if you want to add an architectural feature, you could put up moulding at the same point. I'd go for that, personally. It adds visual interest as well as making defining the space considerably easier.

Big projects like redecorating a house are always intimidating. I always break them down into discrete sub-projects with a list of tasks for each project. So, for example, you could break down your room project into the sub-projects of: remove wall texture, add moulding, paint, and refinish or replace floors. Then a step-by-step list of tasks for each one. Remove wall texture would be: pack and remove small items from room, consolidate furniture away from walls in center of room, cover furniture and floors with drop cloths, tape off baseboard moulding, wet down small patch of wall, begin scraping/sanding & repeat until texture is gone, clean wall with damp sponge, fix any holes or gouges with spackle and sand back, clean again. Then move on to the next sub project.

It's easy to get intimidated by an "overwhelming" list of stuff, but you kinda just have to pick something and go. Tackle it one thing at a time and you'll be amazed at how much you get done.

Also, there's nothing wrong with starting on a small project and working your way up to a bigger one. Do a deep clean like cheese suggested. (As an added benefit, if you work up a good sweat doing the cleaning you'll get the endorphin rush from the exercise as well as from doing a good job and end up with a clean house, to boot!)

As for spiders, this poo poo will kill them dead and keep them from coming back for a very long time. It is, however, very toxic so you need to wear the proper PPE (3M mask with organic vapor cartridges, goggles, gloves, etc.) and read and understand the safety instructions. Also, vacuuming and sweeping regularly really does help to keep any pests minimized.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 11, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Big City Drinkin posted:

It's not that I dislike color; I guess I'm just very unsure of my ability to pick something that (a) I like and (b) would be considered acceptably fashionable by most. I know the default line is "get what you like and who cares what other people think!", but like most people I do care somewhat for what others think and don't want to embarrass myself. But you have some very nice suggestions that I wouldn't have considered on my own, so thanks for that (I like the third one especially). And yes, the duvet cover has blue stripes, so I was thinking of matching that.

Do you think that the room looks too barren without any art? I would agree, but the walls on both sides are plastered-over brick, so it'd be a pain to hang anything unless there's an easy way to do it that I'm not aware of.

Honestly, as long as you don't pick out a rug with My Little Pony on it or something, you'll never be embarrassed by your choice in rugs, simply because most people won't care. Pick something in a color (like blue, as you mentioned) to draw out some of the other furniture and run with it.

Art, similarly, should be chosen based on personal preference (but, again, maybe a painting in a subdued dark frame like your mirror and not a poster for 2Fast2Furious sticky-tacked to the wall).

As for hanging art, you'd be surprised at what you can hold up with command hooks--they make some that basically replicate a nail sticking out of the wall, even. I wouldn't trust them to hold up a bigass expensive oil painting in an ornate frame but a lovely print in a simple frame is well within their weight tolerances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good brand for grandpa style recliners? I want to drink beer and fall asleep watching golf in the afternoon would be my main use case

Like EAT FASTER!!!!!! said, LaZBoy makes a really good recliner. I had to sell my leather one when we downsized to a smaller house and I still miss it. Now I just fall asleep on my couch while watching golf.