Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

an enormous amount of “I keep pulling hot dogs out of the gutter why aren’t any of them good?” energy in the replies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

it’s called “babe breaking” and Tariq is working f on a documentary about how good it is

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1410631953460641796?s=21

selec
Sep 6, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Correct

Also you should not eat red meat in any quantity

hothouse flower

selec
Sep 6, 2003

crepeface posted:

man people will not shut up about the versatility of woks!

I love my wok, love my Traeger, love my air fryer, love my stove, love my cheapie little takoyoki grill, there’s room for all of them

selec
Sep 6, 2003

she’s incredible, the greatest CIA asset since Epstein

I am LOLin irl because I just woke up and I keep muttering “glebbohemmo” while I’m making coffee. it’s a glebbohemmo coinspirasah, moyte

selec has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Jul 5, 2021

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Honey Boo Booboo

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ice chewing psychos who try to minmax every part of their lives need to be shoved back into their lockers

selec
Sep 6, 2003

we (my polycule) can fix her

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lol. I just learned that apparently I don’t know what a wet nurse is (I thought it was the old person one who does sponge baths and poo poo)

next you’re going to tell us you think a currier stirs a big pot of spicy stew

selec
Sep 6, 2003

this doesn’t jibe with what I’ve heard from Gen X Germans, all of whom described the shared experience of coming home from school one day to scream at or about grandpa and the war

selec
Sep 6, 2003

no thank you, twenty year old lowbies don’t rate to me

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't this a literal games journalist

if you want a picture of the future, imagine a british game critic pronouncing “y’all”—forever

selec
Sep 6, 2003

John Charity Spring posted:

leigh alexander is extremely american

I will not be processing this information

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Exhaustive and unabridged list of workers who are true proletarians and not fascists:
- guys who make podcasts

-any occupation that Tom of Finland portrayed

selec
Sep 6, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

lmao

Like the lunch bag and tumbler sure whatever.

The amount of sheer psychosis needed to buy unaltered gas station breakfast pastries from Lockheed Martin is causing me to transcend reality

100% they hand out gift certs to employees and they get those delivered to their cubicles

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cooking rules:

have everything measured and portioned out. this is “mise en place” for frenchies but it’s really just a checklist you are running down to make sure you aren’t surprised during the actual cooking. many, many other crafts will teach you the same basic adult concept of “get your poo poo together”

you aren’t going anywhere, at least not too far. until you are setting the pot to the lowest temp for an hour, or putting something in the oven for an hour, you aren’t in charge of anything else, you aren’t trying to watch anything, you aren’t just pausing a game for a bit. this is what you are doing now, you are cooking and thinking about cooking. stay in the kitchen for the entire process of anything that takes less than an hour until you are extremely comfortable in the kitchen. listen to some Stevie Wonder and keep an eye on things.

sharp knives are the least dangerous kind.

wear an apron

having a treat drink helps, but always stay drinking water

you’re going to be washing your hands a lot, it’s fine

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1587996646335447041?s=46&t=A8t7-f1fRFxYPAgnlx0kJA

selec
Sep 6, 2003

friend had Covid once, now has permanent scarring in his brain. the fallout from the pandemic is going to be decades of disabled people.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

it is way too early to make any kind of assessment, considering nearly every American child has had Covid, and we’re only a couple years in.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

imho Twitter embeds shouldn't work at all here, but blocking platform.twitter.com is a good balance where you only get the text and not the rest of the garbage and your place in the thread zipping around since it's the last thing to load

why, what possible good would that do? hitting their API costs them money. I think embeds should work until the site dies.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

“we need a gaming site to review games for NORMAL PEOPLE” was a huge gamergate thing, this dude is a Lagging Indicator made human

selec
Sep 6, 2003

the thing that kills me about superhero poo poo is there’s a lot of potential for “what if society had super humans appearing in it” that isn’t cape poo poo but it’s all left on the work table because the inherent understanding is that these are children’s products.

the boys really has their number, it’s just that there’s such a What’s Water issue with people that they don’t see themselves in the series as the people being abused and killed by these superhumans. a marvel fan watching the boys and being like “hell yeah, more cape stuff” is probably why the show thrives though.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Weka posted:

My hot take is that if you can't fairly easily learn whatever maths trick your young child is supposed to be learning then you may not be well placed generally for teaching them maths.

Batman is a fictional representation of a type of real life supervillain, a rich person.

sweating in a pile of garbage in his skintight pervert suit, waiting to ambush a poor person

selec
Sep 6, 2003

this is one of those humiliation fetish tweets, a genre Dreyfuss participates in regularly enough you can set a calendar reminder for when he’s not feeling that sweaty neck feeling enough.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

listening to the new Naomi Klein book, doppelgänger and it’s good as hell. completely maps out how Wolf and others like her have careers now in The Mirror World. makes sense: what were wolf’s options to still feel like a respected intellectual when she obviously cannot be that anymore because of poo poo like her book being entirely premised on false understandings of historical documents? the parallel economy of grift and strange theories is all she had left.

Klein does a fantastic job of pulling all this apart using Diagonalism, which was new to me, as the political lens to make sense of a lot of what we’re seeing, and why hippie dippy granola moms were able to make common cause with white supremacists.

https://www.bostonreview.net/articles/quinn-slobodian-toxic-politics-coronakspeticism/

we have diagonalist factions on this site rn, though they probably don’t recognize themselves as such, because it’s cringe poo poo

selec has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Sep 27, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

diagonalism as I understand it:

1. all power is conspiracy, no existing power structure is legitimate
2. the government is always lying
3. your intuitive understanding of the world is superior to what any expert you don’t agree with says.

now infest this movement with self-appointed grandiose messiah types and reflexive contrarians and it’s go.

I do think it’s different than just class politics because they are deeply orthagonal to mainstream lib/con structures. they’re mostly middle-class and more self-employed than their cohort tends to be, but they’re not so easily pinned down by standard class markers and shibboleths. they don’t look or act the same as the larger cohort in a lot of ways—not getting your kids vaccinated, for instance, is a diagonalist thing you’ll find that puts them in the minority, and divides them from standard GOP types, though their tendency to say they’re neither left nor right while staking out pretty reactionary positions on the issues they do care about makes it easy for them to be more associated by and large with right wingers, and why people with considered, serious anti-racist beliefs are harder to pull into these movements regardless of how they feel about the topics the movements do care about.

there are very good reasons for these movements springing up; I don’t agree with them in any way, but it’s obvious you shouldn’t trust the government to have your back except by accident, and the ongoing perpetuation of huge lies within our culture (like that Jeffrey Epstein killed himself) makes it easier to see why you’d go all the way with this poo poo. if a lie becomes too obvious and too intolerable, it drives some people to lengths I wouldn’t go to; it doesn’t drive some people crazy enough to me too though! my liberal dad and stepmom don’t believe Epstein killed himself, but they can’t quite bring themselves not to love the Clintons even knowing all the bullshit connecting them to him, which gives me diagonalist feelings.

selec has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Sep 27, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Best Friends posted:

3 is dicey but 1 and 2 are mostly correct.

Put another way believing the opposite of those three just makes people completely regular democrats. who have been, are, and will continue to be wrong about most elements of government and economic policy at the cost of tens of millions of lives and untold suffering.

how do you get from 1 and 2 to “they’re going to send out a signal on everyone’s phone on October 4th that activates the nanites that will control everyone who got vaccinated” though?

like, I am pretty strongly in the 1 and 2 camp but also somehow don’t believe that every single individual in the government is in on a secret that never meaningfully leaks. where do you see them going so grieviously into a ditch?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

my brain does poo poo I would prefer it not do now and then. it’s definitely not 100% under my control, but having that explained to me and then given tools for recognizing when it’s doing the thing, and how to do what I know I should be doing despite what messages my brain is sending me has been life-changing.

I realize that my ability to do these things is also going on in my brain, but brains can definitely do poo poo we wish they wouldn’t without what they’re doing becoming definitive of us ourselves.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

local rappers were calling really good beats “slappers” for a minute so we could fall back on that, but it might be time for something new and repellant.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://x.com/YourOldDroog/status/1773160299551425006?s=20

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I dunno man, that seems about right

content is correct, venue is what makes it sizzle

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

Scarface is Carlito's Way for teenage boys

carlito's way is king of new york for the yao ming of ray charleses

selec
Sep 6, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

drat i remember listening to this guy like ten years ago. anyway tweets gone what was it.

he said joe biden probably smells really nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

sometimes i wear my UCS Nostromo hat out on the town and end up getting the veteran's discount. it rules.