Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Social Animal posted:

Should we get a quake live/quake champions thread going?

Now in Closed Beta! There's apparently an NDA going on so we can't share screenshots or stream it, but we are still able to discuss the game itself at least and organize ourselves to play together some time... so here's a thread for it. The NDA has been lifted so we're free to discuss it and post screenshots all we want!

:siren: Play with goons! Click here for the Discord invite link. We're in the #quake channel (which you can see after you verify yourself)! You can use the voice channels in there to coordinate.

Jimlit posted:

Confirming this is a great quake.

This is also the most accessible quake. As an example, I convinced my girlfriend to give it a shot. She had never touched a single quake game in her life. I of course waxed on like a dick about rocket launcher play, strafe jumping, map control ect.. for like 40 minutes. She spent her 200k coins on backpacks and then we got into her first real match and...

she loving carried my rear end using the lightning gun exclusively while screaming "SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT STRAFE JUMPING". She end up with like 30 kills and 10 assists. I can't talk about quake anymore in our house.

Zaphod42 posted:

Characters info for the OP:

Ranger
Health (base/max): 100/100
Armour (base/max): 25/75
Speed: 320
Active ability - Dire Orb: Ranger's active ability is a glowing ball that can be thrown and then immediately teleported to. The ability is a homage to Quake’s final boss battle, where players have to perform a telefrag to slay Shub-Niggurath. No doubt telefragging with the Dire Orb will become a popular method of dispatch among pros. The Dire Orb also does damage to any foe that it passes through, making it an effective weapon in corridors.
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Passive ability - Son of a Gun: reduces self damage by 25%, which is ideal for rocket-jumping.

Classic hero from Quake 1, solid character good at rocket jumping, special is fun either as grenade or as a teleport beacon like from Unreal Tournament

Visor
Health (base/max): 125/125
Armour (base/max): 25/50
Speed: 300
Active ability - Piercing Eye: Visor's special ability is essentially x-ray vision, which allows him to see through walls and spot targets without them ever knowing. Has a short activation delay and then only lasts for a few seconds, so must be timed appropriately.
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Passive ability - Grasshopper: Visor is able to strafe jump, which means he can accelerate way beyond his base speed.

Returning from Quake 3, one of the best characters for pros because of his passive, but not a good character for newbies. Active ability giving wallhacks is nice but you have to know when to use it and you still have to aim.

Sorlag
Health (base/max): 150/150
Armour (base/max): 50/100
Speed: 270
Active ability - Acid Spit: As the name suggests, it lets the player shoot acid at their foes - it’s incredibly useful for ground control and locking down pickups. Deals damage over time if you hit someone or they walk through it, and can get kills from the grave.
Cooldown: 40 seconds
Passive ability - Bunny Hop: When jumping forward continuously Sorlag builds up speed faster than other characters.

Lizard is back from Q3 and she's pretty great. Bunny hopping for increased speed, not as crazy as Visor's strafejumping speed but gets up there, and the acid spit is really fun for getting easy kills.

Nyx
Health (base/max): 75/75
Speed: 270
Active ability - Ghost Walk: using Nyx’s Ghost Walk ability transfers her player into a new dimension, instantly and temporarily making Nyx invincible and immune to all damage. This can be used to escape tense battles, to move behind unsuspecting enemies or to shrug off damage from incoming projectiles.
Passive ability - Wall Jump: not to be confused with a wall run, wall jump effectively allows Nyx to double jump in tight areas, once onto a wall, and then again after a short wall run.

Fun character with a good mix of mobility and evasion, wall-jumping feels really good and gives you alternative ways of getting around, and her special lets you get out of a jam or ambush somebody if used properly, can turn a fight around.

Scalebearer
Health (base/max): 150/200
Armour (base/max): 25/150
Speed: 300
Active ability - Bull Rush: Scalebearer's primary ability is a sort of super-charged straight line sprint that kills everything it makes contact with. Bull Rush doesn't quite make the player invincible, but it does reduce damage taken from incoming fire while active.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Passive ability - Heavyweight: You deal damage just by brushing past your enemies at high speeds or landing on them. This is only activated once you surpass 400 speed.

This demonic linebacker is a new character who is very direct. Use his high base speed and health to get in people's faces, and use his active ability to smash faces.

Anarki
Health (base/max): 75/75
Speed: 320
Active ability - Health Injection: Anarki's active ability allows him to instantly heal himself and recieve a permanent maximum health boost. After using Health Injection, Anarki also gets a speed boost that lasts for five seconds.
Cooldown: 45 seconds
Passive ability - Hoverboard Air Control: Anarki is already one of the fastest Champions in the game, but the hoverboard means he can actually gain speed as he strafe-jumps. In addition, his hoverboard awards a special passive ability that allows players more control in mid-air to turn sharply and chase down enemies or escape those who dare follow him up a jump pad.

Returning from Q3, the hoverboard punk gains some drugs for self-healing and gets superior air mobility because of his hoverboard and strafe jumping. Solid choice, especially for pros.

Slash
Armour (base/max): 0/25
Speed: 310
Active ability - Plasma Trail: Slash’s Plasma Trail primary ability lets her leave a damaging electric trail behind her wherever she goes for a few seconds. This can be used to cut off pathways or deter other players from chasing her. Better still, Slash can trigger that trail to explode on a whim, killing anything caught in its wake. It’s the ideal ability for shaking enemies off you tail or taking control of key map points.
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Passive ability - Crouch Slide: Slash’s passive ability lets her drop to her knees while running without losing any speed - this makes her a smaller target, but also temporarily boosts her turn speed allowing her to surprise tailing players.

Also returning from Q3, Slash's ability can be pretty good for getting out of a tough spot and possibly getting a free kill off it, but not sure how effective she is overall.

Clutch
Health (base/max): 150/150
Armour (base/max): 50/100
Speed: 280
Active ability - Barrier: Places a barrier that can temporarily deflect all incoming damage and block enemies from passing through it. Clutch can shoot through the shield, but to stop this from being too overpowered the barrier will deactivate for a short amount of time with each shot.
Passive abilities - Still Defense: Clutch gets a 20% damage reduction boost when standing still. Acceleration: running forward without changing direction will rapidly increase Clutch’s movement speed.

New character, good starting health and speed and some defensive abilties... probably good for newbies since he's meant to run and not jump, so this guy seems trash for good players, nobody's playing him.

Galena
Armour (base/max): 25/75
Speed: 280
Active ability - Unholy Totem: Galena’s primary ability lets her place a healing totem that gradually heals her and any teammates within its radius. Of course it wouldn’t be very Quake to have a straightforward healer character, so Galena’s Unholy Totem also deals lethal damage to any enemy Champion that crosses its path.
Passive ability - Channeling: this passive ability lets Galena redeploy her Unholy Totem by chipping a fraction off its cooldown timer with every health bubble walked over.

Another new character, this one seems meant for support for team games? Again probably good for newbies but seems kinda garbage and nobody is playing her.

I'll circle back and edit this to make a more informative OP if there's some interest/discussion in the game on this forum.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

The Kins posted:

I thoroughly enjoy barfing on people.

Also, in the game.

I really wish that Anarki's ability gave you a little bit more HP so that by the end of a typical TDM match you'd be as tanky as the tankiest guy in the game. For me, I can only get up to like 110-ish health. That way, for the final minute or two of a match you'd be just as tanky as the rest of the other characters.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Galena is only gonna see play in a compete squad who coordinates to move as one as a murder ball and drops a totem after each fight. As a solo queue pick she'll be like any other healer picked solo in a team game hot trash

I really liked playing Galena personally as a solo queuer because it means I could get a free +25 or whatever anytime I needed it. Same reason I liked Anarki because it was a free 100% heal every ~20s, so basically once per life for me because I suck. As long as nobody targets or notices it specifically, it just kinda sits there indefinitely it seems. It also appears through the walls when you look around so I guess you and teammates can roll up on it and know it's there without having to communicate that much.

widespread posted:

I think I did try Quake Live but I was aiming for low latencies and wound up in some 5v5 no respawn server.

Use this site to find servers: http://ql.syncore.org/ -- it's indispensible imo.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 14, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Personally I only like to do Clan Arena-style stuff when I play these games. Duel is just too one-sided for me for it to be fun and I'm not willing to bang my head against that wall in order to ride that learning curve.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
:siren: OP update!

I added a link to the general goon Discord server, which has had a #quake channel for a long while, so that goons can organize via chat and hop in voice to party up or whatever.

Here's the Discord invite link to the general-purpose goon Discord server: https://discord.gg/7qezX7k

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
When they try to make balance changes, I really hope that the developers take the Icefrog/Dota route and just make everything else more crazy OP instead of nerfing poo poo all the time like in most other games.

Also I'm becoming more and more a fan of Galena's totem thing. It's like dropping permanent +50 orbs for your team every 30 seconds or whatever. The other people doesn't know they can destroy them so the map gets littered with totems and we're getting free heals every few seconds.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 14, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Bethesda is putting a lot of money into tournaments for this apparently, so that is going to draw people in

there's supposed to be a big Sacrifice tourney at this year's quakecon, there will probably be one for duel too, but it's looking like they're pushing more for the teamplay to showcase the game

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

How do you even get to that sniper platform with the portal?

I showed it to air when were playing on Discord earlier today, actually. There's nothing interesting over there to make it worth the effort because the teleport just goes to the Quad Damage. Maybe you could just wait for Quad to spawn and then go in the teleport to try and telefrag-and-steal or something, but that's about it.

Anyway, you have to rocket jump after one or two bunny hops in order to make it to the platform. You can't do it while standing, sadly.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Poor optimization? In MY beta?!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Personally I rebound everything to 1234QWR and I had assumed everybody else did something similar. Highly recommend.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Took me a long time to remember where the shotgun spawn is for that aztec map. It's a really out of the way room when I think about it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I'm just happy that I was able to play and enjoy this video-game before the cheaters and laggers were able to get in there and ruin it for everyone.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKJmlrhSr5U

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Ehhh you have Warsaw, reflex, and cpma to play if you want that type of game.

Your information is pretty out of date, I think. Warsow stopped development a long time ago and it's community is long dead. Also Reflex has been dead ever since it launched, sadly. 40~50 playerbase. As for CPMA, I don't know where any community like that exists anymore.

All I personally know about is http://ql.syncore.org/ for Quake Live stuff and a Quake 2 Discord server that has about 4~10 people playing on average every day.

edit-- vvvvvvvvvvv :rip:

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 1, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
My experience playing Quack Champions today:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just to reiterate and put this out there again: there is a consistent group of about 4~5 of us on the goon Discord that play this game as a party every [other] day pretty much. So if you're looking for people to play with, just idle there and check out the #quake channel every now and then for games.

Discord invite link: https://discord.gg/7qezX7k

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

This concept of 'renting' characters is awful in theory, but in practice I find it a good fair f2p model. It's balanced in the beta with the estimates I gave but if it took say, 5 wins instead of 2 to try out another character it would be bullshit.

Whenever I feel like criticizing these developers for their "rent or pay a flat free for everything" scheme, I remind myself that people were falling all over themselves to pay $140usd for the Battlefield1/Battlefront pre-order deluxe whatever edition.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

EDIT- love has a picture around here where something like 88% of his kills were all rail with a 40%+ accuracy despite playing on a US VA server from Seoul Korea of all places, I think I went 40% 40% that match as well.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

So I just started the beta, does it always take a calendar year to find a game? Is there really so few people playing?

Hop in the Discord. Stranger and I usually play in the American evenings every other day or so. He's more regular about it than me, though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

@Love, where's that screen shot, from before the tenseko incident!

I'm so sorry dude but I didn't save the screenshot :c I just hit the button but forgot to alt-tab to mspaint afterward. :negative:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
CTF is better than the skull thing imo. Also I hope they add the grappling hook so I can bind mouse2 +hook and hide on that roof corner platform in q2ctf1

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
It has to be McKinley (q2ctf1) so that our fellow goon Zoid can get the royalties. (e: that's probably not how it works actually)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

cougar cub posted:

That is amazing

It's like something out of a Crowbcat video -- can you imagine if it was that Overwatch game instead of the HotS thing?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Needs more maps more than anything IMO. Playing Campgrounds over and over and over is just boring after a while. UT04 had shitloads, probably over 100 spread over the different modes.

Whenever I play QC I'm playing Campgrounds and then burial chamber most of the time.

I don't know -- Quake 2/3/Live had shitloads of great maps but everyone only ever played like the same 2 or 3 endlessly. The Counterstrike scene has always been like that, too.

So as much as I'd love to see cool new maps, I feel like it wouldn't be worth the effort for the developers because everybody would stick with Campgrounds.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

The guy they mention in that article, Zoid, now works at Valve on DotA 2. He's also a Goon and his avatar picture is the McKinley Revival (q2ctf1) logo with the Red and Blue team logos.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I also liked Doomguy a lot but I just couldn't get used to the double jump in Quake. It was like trying to ride one of bicycles with the backward steering wheel.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

What exactly caused this surge in popularity? I've seen patches that fix netcode for other games in the past and it didn't lead to a surge in playercounts like this at all...

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Tace Vim posted:

Looking forward to CTF, as I think having the different characters will make for some interesting strategies and plays.

:agreed:

For me, though, Instagib Freeze Tag and Rocket Arena will be all I ever do in this game when they come out.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I like BJ because I suck at aiming, so I can help make up for it by getting in twice as much damage (aka 0 because 2 times 0 is still 0)

Anarki is my #2 favorite because I can have equally as much fun just ignoring everyone and bunny hopping around the map all game

PS: the goon discord link was updated in the OP -- you gotta post in the #pc_master_race channel now because the #quake channel died a while back. If there's Quake-related chatter in that channel then we can get TT to re-instate the channel.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
How about a Goonhouse™ Saturday night?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Personally I like the whole "best of 5" format as opposed to the old "10 minutes, most frags wins" format. I'd be okay if they changed it so you only had one character throughout all of it, though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just finished the 1v1 Duel ranked calibration thing. Got the "Silver Tier 3" thing. (edit-- 1165)

I'm playing in that horrible purgatory where the only people I can win against are the new people and the second they learn how item timings work I get destroyed. in other words i am bad

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 25, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I went 0-50 againt some (I'm guessing) CPMA veteran when I had played Reflex, the first quake like game I had spent any real time with, for like 5 hours. I did not learn anything or improve at all by playing that duel, besides "I suck and this isn't fun." I didn't say anything to the guy except "gg" 6 minutes in but I assume he didn't have much fun either. That's why willy nilly throwing newbies in with old heads sucks. It's an inevitability with a community as small as Reflex's but I think QC has the opportunity to not do that.

This is also why I always prefer to just spectate in Quake Live rather than play.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I wish they'd bring back the Visor laugh. It was really iconic, but they changed the character's personality completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6de3nqBpFs&t=92s

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Sounds like we need a...

goonhouse

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jimlit posted:

I'm such a loving noob, I thought runNgun must have been a player close to me getting matched and even had a weird internal rivalry thing in my head....

I wish their AI dev team could see this post, it would make my day if I were them

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Mister No posted:

i'm old now and bad at quake help

I feel like I suddenly know how my dad felt when I rocket juggle into railgun'd him when we used to play Q3 together.

Used to think Dad was just bad but now I realize it's just because he was only happy to be spending time with me and didn't really care about the game.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
We have a party of 2 going in the discord voice channel if anyone's reading this and wants to play for a bit

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Soarvesor and I talked to the guy running the big goon SA Discord server and he was kind enough to re-open the #quake chat channel and also give us a Quake voice channel, too.

:siren: If you want to play Quake with goons, check the Discord invite link at the top of the OP!

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

So I managed to get an Excellent from a pair of totems. Two people ran into two separate totems on opposite sides of the map and died at the same time and I giggled. Great game.

You don't have PMs enabled so I'll just post it here: your username would also be good as Startled Marx