Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Shotgun up close is super powerful and it's pretty much my preferred weapon right now.

Rockets feel really poor. The weak knock back leading to crappy juggling really makes me sad.

Nail gun is good for spamming hallways when waiting for your point to charge. Otherwise meh.

All the sounds seem to happen 200ms after they should... really throws me off.

No footsteps sounds also suck. Using sound to find enemies sucks in general.

Is there matchmaking? If so it's complete garbage and I apologize to everyone I pub stomp. Would be nice to try this in more competitive matches.

Maybe there is a game here - doubt it will manage to be popular because it will be hard for new players to grasp what to do. My go to quake fix will still be quake live.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Put the god drat quad back in the pit on q3dm6. That placement allowed you to attack from all angles making for a really interesting power up spawn point. Instead they moved it to poo poo L corner with a tele. Jesus Christ!

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't get it. Clan Arena is so much more fun to watch, imo. Why invest all that money into a new, unknown game mode over Clan Arena?

The problem with Clan Arena is that without any objectives the point of each round is to get to the best positional fighting spot on a map and then stay there. That means you can get plagued with slow matches where one team is holding a room or area, and the other team refuses to attack. Sure you can come up with work arounds to try and force the attack (for example, after 4 minutes everyone starts taking damage), but at the end of the day objectives push the pace and encourage activity.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I consider nail and PG to be the same gun. Would be nice if the nail gun had a better visual indicator of where the shots are coming from though.

(Hot take - PG jumping was overrated and was really only useful on dm13 if you couldn't get 125fps for the mega jump in the early Q3 days.)

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Machine gun, easiest to deal consistent damage with.

Starting SG you have to get so drat close to deal decent damage... I was expecting it be more like the QW shotgun - too bad.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

If you want to play an updated UT try toxikk. There are no players online but you can get a free version *shrug*

Edit - to clarify toxikk isn't great but it'll satisfy your dodge jumping needs for a little bit

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 18, 2017

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Mindblast posted:

gently caress. That's literally how people described how QL's hit detection felt. Which also explains the delay on the rockets.

QLs hitbox tech was so old. Player models had a invisible box (which became a cylinder later on) that, thanks to the net code and animations, would "drag" behind the visible player model allowing for hits counting when missing the player model. The faster a player is moving the greater the discrepancy.

As well, every hitbox was the same regardless of the model size so some of the larger models stuck "out" of the hitbox meaning you could shoot the player model but nothing would register. Or shoot over the head of smaller player models and still have it register.

Still the greatest game ever made. Xaero team model and bright green Keel enemy model :rock:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

At least Rankin was better than deck

edit - THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID IT.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

That's a rather lovely set of patch notes. Tweaked spawn system, changed scoring in sacrifice.

Calling it now that the current state of the game will not change much for release.

Hopefully the rocket delay fix is actually decent.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Just saw on the beta forums that the lead designer is SyncError, the old QLive / Q4 community manager. That's really too bad - he is the type of guy who thinks zooming in with rail is an "interesting gameplay choice!!!!" Also I think he is a polite holier-than-thou dick from his Esreality posts over the years.

Also confirmed that there is no matchmaking ranking (mmr) system in place yet for players.

No plans for clan arena. Really stupid as it's a great intro game mode. Not even a "we are thinking about it" response.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

There were some small issues with aimbots in the ra3 community, but in general the competitive TDM / 1v1 was fine for aimbots.

For most serious leagues you would have to submit a demo of your win, which could be pretty easily reviewed for aimbotting.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Ehhh you have Warsaw, reflex, and cpma to play if you want that type of game.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I'm sorry you have no friends to play games with.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

gently caress bones so hard, better not be an almost invisible player model

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

So online qualifiers for the QuakeCon tournament... if you win the online qualifier you will "travel" to the finals. Can't find anything in the rules that talks about whether flights / hotels are provided to those who win the online qualifiers. Anyone seen / heard anything about the process?

https://www.eslgaming.com/article/esl-and-id-software-join-forces-quake-world-championships-quakecon-2017-3570

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Man, one of those new maps is absolute garbage. Don't know the name but it's the one with the quad on a platform overtop of a hole to RL. Long hallways on the outside and your rail / RL / all armour / mega close to the middle. Half the room designs don't make sense with ramps leading no where, an atrium with nothing to fight over and cramped side paths. Garbage tier.

Oh and more ZTN - blaaah. I guess we should expect an aerowalk and edge at some point.

Edit - yeah I just complained about crappy new maps and re-release of a classic great map. I was just hoping for a new great map.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 21, 2017

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

They use hitbox to help balance a speed, armour, health and abilities?

Q3 wasn't fine with the invisible hit boxes that protruded in and out of models. Everyone just forced enemy model to Keel.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

amitlu posted:

I don't get why games don't have the matchmaking lobby just be a drop-in/drop-out FFA game so you can at least jump around and shoot eachother while waiting for games even in individual queues. Reflex does that and it's a really low budget / price niche arena shooter. Blizzard and id should be able to manage it.

Yeah I agree. It's hard to want to spend an hour playing QC duels because half the time will be load screens and matchmaking searches.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

It's pretty much CPMA with a few tweaks. It never really took off and it's player base is tiny. If you are willing to get on discord you'll be able to find someone to play with, although expect them to be decent players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/328070

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I've been in load screens for the past few weeks - I also haven't managed to play more than 20 minutes.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Really curious to see what the steam player count is. Right guy now I'd bet that lawbreakers will be higher.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

5 minutes to find and load a game which will take 2 minutes to complete when you get matched against someone lovely.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Not in top 100 - DOA?

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Edit - better URL - https://steamdb.info/graph/

Peaked at just over 1000 players which beat out lawbreaker's 750 and quakelive's 663. That's better than I thought it would be - silver linings and all that.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 23, 2017

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

This stream is making me feel old with all of the familiar faces covered in grey.

edit - how do you not have 4 stations setup so that you can roll one match right into another? 20 minutes between games means people stop watching.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 25, 2017

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

idgi

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Who the heck is clawz

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I liked TDM when there were server passwords so that scrubs wouldn't come in and ruin the game by being poo poo.

Also, elitism is a problem in the quake scene and definitely turns off new players.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

You just know the people saying how easy overwatch is are bronze or silver players :jerkbag:

Fake edit - if only QC had some sort of known ranking system for it's MMR.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

A grapple character and CTF, why don't we get less original and stale?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I'm coming into the game from a fighting game background and I always use grapplers, but I don't know how this would even work in a FPS. I would've figured Clutch would fit the archytype perfectly, but he breaks the rules for a big character.

Edit: unless the AMA meant 'grappling hook' then ignore what I said.

That did it. Not sure why non of the YT tutorials couldn't explain the process properly. The official QL one even worse.

Getting +400 from the first jump now, thanks a lot :hfive:

Yeah, it's a grappling hook not a buff Russian. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZcaHIrbNI

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Thanks for ruining any chance QC had with your stupid ideas syncerror.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

That is amazing

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

There are going to be lots of people who played quake for the last 16 years (hi) and don't care about QC (hi) because it adds nothing new while being a shittier package.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

amitlu posted:

Bring back Capturestrike.

BTW whatever happened to Threewave?

Contract industry work to out of business.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Threewave-CTF-Multiplayer-Mod-Quake,9214.html

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

As someone who last played during the closed beta there have definitely been some performance improvements.

It seems the only gametype that you can find people for is TDM.

Champion balance is fine in pickup games and I've seen every character used.

Randoms still can't time armor or mega or quad. More for me!

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Wait times for duel are still brutal. Thinking about joining the QC open league but have been struggling to even get to the ten placement matches. Can take 15-20 minutes to find a game in NA.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah I’m that seasoned quake vet and totally understand how crappy duel can be for new players.

Classic duel would be fun, but I wonder what new mode can be created to try and draw in new players. I don’t think FFA / TDM / CTF is the answer. Overwatch uses payload, Pubg is battle royal, QC introduces.... ?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Pomp posted:

Their format is so dumb new players can't even touch it without dropping money or getting some extreme lootbox luck

Jesus I didn’t even think about this.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

kaschei posted:

I don't think I'd ever have started dueling with the match and ranking system in QC. You can't even spectate the guy that just beat you to see what he's doing better, or different. And I know an internet rank doesn't mean anything but 14 year old me would have totally agonized over it.

This is a good point. I learned a lot about positioning and strat for sitting and watching someone play. There is twitch and YouTube now though so maybe it’s just looking back with rose coloured glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Geee who knew that charging zoom damage on rail was a bad idea.

Lg harder to hit with? Sure.

CPMA style shotgun? Sure.

Galena totem nerf? Sure.