Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think that James Marshall's acting was pretty good.

:stare:

Which scene did you like better, the one where he has an "incredibly constipated" look or where he has a blank look, like he doesn't know how to react to other characters' dialogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

el oso posted:

I still can't believe this is actually happening, with Lynch, Frost and pretty much every living cast member back on board. And that we are getting 18 (18!) episodes directed by Lynch. I have no idea what to expect and I'm getting chills just thinking about tomorrow night.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is new music by Angelo Badalamenti. His work on the original series and FWWM is so, so good. His music is critical to establishing the show's atmosphere - there are literally no other songs even in the world of Twin Peaks except for his, with characters in the show listening to him on the jukebox and radios. So excited to hear new stuff from him.

I think you forgot about the masterpiece from the James Hurley Trio.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

No that's her first scene in S2. In her last scenes of S1, which takes place literally moments before, she's perfectly fine. It's just jarring enough if you go from one season straight to the next. But I suppose it's so they can do the whole 'Dose up Audrey and extort Ben out of money' plotline.

I gather this gets really convoluted if you start to include the movie, but do we take it to be true when Leland says that he knows Bob from his childhood?

Depends on how metaphorically your take on Bob is. It could be that the meaning is that Leland was sexually abused as a child himself. That's the interpretation that makes the most sense imo. Why else is a demon spirit just chilling by a lake 35 years ago.

It could be that Bob is speaking through Leland and just loving around with the investigation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Arturo Ui posted:

I'll point you to the Josie doorknob scene for lovely effects in the original series.

Or some absurd looking compositing where an owl was overlaid on BOBs face.

On the Idle Thumbs crew's Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast from a few years back (very very good btw), they make the point that Lynch probably doesn't care how realistic things like that look, that's it's the idea of the thing that is important to him.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cromulent posted:

My favorite part of spudsbuckley posts is how he always projects some financial aspect to it. "You fools, you thought you liked something, but as it turns out, the director is getting paid money! He's laughing all the way to the bank while you sit there and enjoy his work!"

He sounds like someone who, against their expectations, never became nearly as financially successful or even stable as they expected when they were younger and resents anyone who is. Legit sorry, spuds. Being financially insecure is stressful as hell.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Barreft posted:

Episode 4 was much better, less trippy poo poo and more actual things happening. I'll continue on.

It's not that I didn't know what was going on more that it was just boring. Ep 3 took almost 20 minutes to have the dude stare around with a weird non-eyed woman and all this other poo poo that I just didn't care about. Ep. 4 was good though.

But, it's really kind of pointless. Nothing will make sense, nothing will mean anything.

You're essentially turning on 2001: A Space Odyssey right as Frank goes into the monolith, skipping the two hours of build up and exposition.

Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix. Hell, if you're super pressed for time watch S1 E1-3, S2 E9 (I think?) and the last two episodes. You can even skip the movie, though you really shouldn't. But those episodes take up only about 6.5 hours and will make everything make so much more sense.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

precision posted:

Seemed to me to be echoing the zig-zag pattern on the Lodge floor.

And the way it's used in the title sequence. The swirling movement is very unsettling and almost makes me feel a bit nauseous. Contrast that with the original title sequence which is as peaceful and pastoral as can be. The difference in tone has to be deliberate and I'm sure speaks to what the tone of this entire season will be.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've finally watched everything from the original TV show to the revival, the movie, Missing Pieces, and just for the hell of it the Log Lady intros for the episodes. Outside of reading the books, I believe I'm caught up.

Uhhh what about the Japanese coffee commercials

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I'm always a bit surprised that Luis Bunuel doesn't get more mention as an influence on Lynch. I feel like That Obscure Object of Desire, for instance, could absolutely be passed off as a David Lynch film.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i mean, you could keep going back to bergman and maya deren and fritz lang as well. i feel like every generation has a handful of great impressionist filmmakers and lynch is definitely among them.

True but I feel like Bunuel in particular has a very similar sensibility. Touches of humor that are very similar to Lynch, much moreso than Bergman, for instance. There's a scene about 12 minutes into That Obscure Object of Desire that was hilarious and completely took me by surprise at how unexpected it was. The movie also has the doppleganger motif. And thematically it's just such a strong, singular vision. Not that Bergman doesn't have that as well, but Bunuel seems almost a kindred spirit to David Lynch. Their voices are so complementary to each other, so of a particular type.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Life is Strange is hipster trash

Nah

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It was bugging the hell out of me, who the woman the hitmen called looked like. Especially her mouth and expressions, I couldn't put my finger on it but they looked so familiar.

Looked up the actress and I still don't recognize her per se, but her pics made me realize she looks loving EXACTLY like Chloe from 24.

E: I'm drunk and have no particular point to make, just happy I figured it out.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 5, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

basic hitler posted:

are they heroin or coke junkies? Mr. Jobhunt and NeoPalmer?

$72 worth of coke doesn't go very far. I assumed it was meth.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

wa27 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I thought that was Mary Lynn Rajskub for a bit, too. This is exactly the type of show she would show up for two episodes in.

Oddly enough, it does make me feel better!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Klungar posted:

good numerology theories?

Please don't oxymoron itt

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

weekly font posted:

The amount of time the hit and run lasted, especially at the end cutting to awful extras doing extended over the top reactions like we were suddenly dropped into Birdemic actually got me laughing.

Really couldn't disagree more. The way this shot happens in any other show is the kid gets hit, we get a close up on the mom wailing for 3 seconds, and then cut to another scene. But that's not how it happens in real life. IRL, the scene continues and people do stand around and no one knows what to do and it's the most surreal poo poo ever. Having been involved in a couple similar incidents, I feel like this was the best recreation I've seen of how it actually feels to be in that scenario. It *doesn't* end. It just keeps going, and your mind struggles trying to come to grips with how something so horrible could be real and how it has the audacity to relentlessly continue being real.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

kaworu posted:

Yeah, I'm going a bit off-kilter with the quantum mechanics stuff.

An interesting theory I've heard is that basically everything we are seeing that's happening in Las Vegas is a dream that Cooper is having, and Dougie is to Cooper as Betty Elms is to Diane Selwyn, in a certain sense, except almost in reverse. That perhaps Cooper is trapped inside "Evil Cooper's" mind. And it's true that Dougie's world is almost different and deliberately separated somewhat from the world of the rest of the show. It does remind me a bit of the first half of Mulholland Dr, in some ways. The manner in which things just seem to conveniently happen. This would make the one-armed man telling Dougie to "WAKE UP!" much more literal.

I am also starting to think we will not be getting "The old Dale Cooper" back anytime soon, and the more I think about it, the more inappropriate the idea feels. I was reading something about Coper's character - the way he showed up in the pilot totally fully-formed and developed and three-dimensional. Cooper doesn't really "develop" much as a character in Twin Peaks, in part because that's just who he is - the FBI agent par excellence. Like a Lynchian SuperHero, in a way. It's why we all love him.

But with the revival, it feels like... "Getting Dale Cooper Back" is the new "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" You know? This whole show right now is almost about the identity of Dale Cooper and the exploration of the mystery of what happened to him, why it happened, and who was involved and who is going to investigate/do something about it. I'm starting to feel like I would be seriously disappointed if we saw "Special Agent Dale Cooper" before the final 2 episodes, or something.

One character I'm hoping we get lots more of (who was sadly absent here in Episode 6) is "Evil Cooper". To me, he's the most intriguing character and is, frighteningly, really very close to "Our Cooper" in many ways. I think he's the closest we'll be getting to old-school Cooper, maybe.

I've had similar ideas and was trying to think if they're was any concrete connection we've seen between the real world (I'll put the FBI and Twin Peaks storylines here) and Dougie's arc.

One thing that might argue against it is Jade's scene with the Great Northern key. If this entire scenario is a dream, why do the characters exist outside of Dougie's bubble? Ditto for Ike the Spike. But I do like the idea of Dale still being in the red room somehow, that this is all a snare set by Bob to trap Dale and keep Bob on the outside. It'd go a ways towards explaining how no one has really texted appropriately to Dougie's behavior and how people have names like Janey-e

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

That's a good point. The director and the cowboy and whatnot, the hitman scene. Hm my theory is back on track then.

So, is there any concrete connection between Dougie's plot and any real world storyline?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Baloogan posted:

dougie's ring in the decapitated fat body's stomach

That shuts down my theory pretty definitively.

There are still mysteries no matter how they try and resolve it. How long ago was Dougie created? How can someone that was clearly marginally competent / aware and apparently only nominally functional get Naomi Watts to marry him? Has she never wondered why he has literally no family? Is she a creation too? And the kid?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Really feels like Janey-e has some lodge superpowers as well. She can force anyone to bend to her will. Those extortionists should have laughed at her. The answers she gave the cops were flimsy and absurd. She even got Dougie's boss to say "k, we'll do it later".

Or maybe she's just naturally some kind of force of nature. Either way, :swoon: Naomi Watts :swoon: is killing it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, I knew it was a joke at kaworu's expense and other armchair theorists, but it also felt earnest enough for it's own ridicule. And I wanted to tie into my joke of people needed theories to justify a strong female lead in the series.

Just lol if you think a legit human Naomi Watts would have a name like Janey-e and, despite being intelligent and strong willed and basically capable of anything would marry a schlub like Dougie Jones who apparently even in his normal routine is so weird that his current behavior doesn't set off any alarms.

Like, what was their courtship like? Why did she, of her own free will, fall for this scrub? That's not what a strong, well written female role would do, it's what a niceguy's idealized woman does.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gravitee posted:

My crazy theory: Andy is the mysterious billionaire.

Apologies if that's come up prior.

He does somehow own a Rolex.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

So the frogroach was the potentiality for Laura being implanted into Sarah, yeah?

But why the poem from the Woodsman? To get Sarah to fall asleep? But he's an evil spirit or whatnot, and Laura was defined in this episode as the counterweight to Bob, basically the agent of the White Lodge. Why would the Woodsman help?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Also, what the gently caress must have Showtime execs been thinking when they screened this episode, besides "what the hell have we done"?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

n4 posted:

Why do people think the girl is Sarah Palmer?

The last thing we saw before the 1956 scene was Laura Palmer in a pokeball. Then something fell to earth and something crawled out of it and implanted itself into some girl. Our options for who this girl is:

1) The show has now introduced characters we're going to be spending time with going forward, in another timeline. So we'll have storylines in the present and in 1956. Seems really late in the show to introduce an entire storyline. Seems unlikely to be this.

2) It was a one-off scene that has no real point other than to be creepy. I mean, it's possible but everything in the show so far, even if it's weird and trippy or w/e, has directly related either to the current storylines or to characters from the original run of Twin Peaks. Just a random scene with no meaning or relevance seems unlikely. e: I guess the musical numbers aren't relevant at all but those have a very different feel than an actual scripted scene and also have been established as a "thing" throughout the entire show, whereas meaningless scenes have not.

3) At least one character in the 1956 scene is someone we know / relevant to the main storyline. The girl is obviously the main character in this vignette so it's most likely to be her. As mentioned, the immediately preceding scene is of Laura Palmer in a pokeball. If the girl is Sarah Palmer (don't know her maiden name), it would explain most everything in the scene, Woodcutter aside.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Maybe frogroach = Bob, but even if he were born right away that would put him at about 34 years old during the events of TP and Frank Silva is nowhere near that in 1989.

e: I guess he was born in 1950 so he's 6 years older than he would be in this timeline, not that big a difference. Thought for sure he was late 40s.

e2: timeline would be about right for Cooper, and I could see those two as his parents. But there's no other scenes that support this interpretation.

e3: Cooper's canonical birthdate is in 1954 and the scene is in 1956 so I guess that's ruled out.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You are assuming a parasitic spirit of misery and corruption ages like a human being.

I think he wore that face because he liked it.

I mean, the entire thing would be weird. What is he like as a 6 month old baby? And why does he need to be born at all? He seems capable of possessing others without needing to be born into them. Was the Giant similarly born and became the old bellhop? Phillip Gerard was a normal person as long as he took his meds -- was he a spirit-being born in this manner or just some guy possessed by a spirit direct out of the lodge?

e: Also, Leland remembers Bob from when Leland was a kid, yeah?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 26, 2017

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

el oso posted:

Outside of the surreal stuff, I'm interested in how Ray managed to fool Dirty Cooper. He somehow ended up being the one with a loaded gun, leaving DC with the empty revolver. Did Philip Jeffries somehow influence the warden to screw over DC?

Lynch's representation of technology continues to be fascinating. DC's phone somehow shows the 3 tracking devices on their car, represented by icons listed as "C", "FIRE", and "DOX". He swipes each of them away, inputs the license plate of the truck in front of them, then tosses the phone out the window - problem solved!

Well, remember Booper has some crazy control over electricity and technology anyway. How the tracking devices will report the location of the semi instead, idk. Let's say that Booper hacked into the truck's GPS and forwarded those coordinates to the tracking devices.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

There have been nods to almost all of Lynch's films throughout this season. No idea if it's supposed to be relevant in a "Dark Tower ties in all of Stephen King's works" kind of way or just easter eggs or nods to his previous work but it's fun spotting them.

The driving scenes where you just see the headlights lighting up the road are straight from Lost Highway.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they were major Briggs and the chick is what intoduces him to the wierdness of the supernatural

Can't be. In the episode where the FBI chick sees his body, it's mentioned that it's the body of a 40 (or early 40s?) year old. Briggs is killed around 1990, and obviously some shenanigans are involved to introduce his body to the current time but that means he was born in 1950 or 1948, 1949ish, depending what age they said. That would put him at 6-8 years old in 1956, and the boy was clearly older than that.

e: Just checked and he's actually stated as being in his late 40s. Let's say 48 in 1990, that would put him at 14 in 1956. Seems plausible!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Gatekeeper posted:

i dunno, it all seemed kinda obvious to me especially with the majority of posters here all saying the exact same things i was thinking while watching the show. like as far as surreal abstract w/e art goes, this was relatively straightforward. the only thing I've seen anyone post that i don't agree with was the whole sarah palmer thing, i really do not think that girl was sarah palmer, otherwise yeah i think everyone's analysis has been spot-on. i think if you kinda threw your hands up at the beginning and said "jfc what the gently caress is this poo poo, it's ridiculous artsy fartsy bullshit" and just angrily watched the rest of it in frustration, it might have been easy to miss some stuff and not really follow things, but if you watched it with a more open mind or some eagerness i think it would have been very easy to follow. i don't mean to sound like i'm talking down to you at all but i really do think the weird imagery was surprisingly straightforward and even hard to miss

Agreed that the storyline was fairly straightforward. Lynch gets called a surrealist but honestly most of his stories are fairly logical and even simple in plot ("a girl in trouble" is how he describes many of his films), just told in a non-expository, somewhat surrealist manner.

I mean, Un Chien Andalou, that's some surrealism for real. Next on the spectrum would be something like The Holy Mountain, then maybe The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Lynch's surrealism is on a par with, say, Pan's Labyrinth.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Krinkle posted:

When you say 90s point and click adventure game do you mean like... monkey island? I don't get what you mean.

That huge copper bell with the dials on it looks like something out of flash gordon in the dang thirties.

7th Guest, Sanitarium, etc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Another awesome ep but some of the exposition is a little clunky/a lot of it is stuff we already knew but the characters didn't so for us it's not really anything new.

https://youtu.be/pE3ufg-6qOA

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, Tammy's actress is really not good. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't paired with the strongest actors in the show all the time.

When I saw Starship Troopers for the first time I thought Denise Richards was either the best or worst actress I'd ever seen. Her performance was just so weird.

Obviously time has told the tale on that account, but I'm getting a similar vibe from Chrysta Bell this season. But with a hint of more intentionality.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Gave us chocolate cake

:wow:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Oh man, some great discussion here. Reminds me of the Community threads which were full of enthralling discussions about whether that joke was 3 or 4 levels of meta, or the glory days of analysing where the gun was pointed at on Breaking Bad. Great stuff everybody.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Again, there's a GBS thread if you wanna stick to like "lol duggie funny"

But what if I enjoy seeing people getting triggered

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Moan about it less, I guess?

Way to victim-shame. Typical cis-male response.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hey guys we've gone almost two full pages without any rape chat, can we get on that immediately please.

Also does anyone have any theories as to why the SA forums are hemorrhaging posters? All theories welcome, tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hey so in the poem is it "one chance out" or "one chants out"?

And it's "fire walk with me" as in hey fire, come travel with me or "firewalk with me" as in doing something crazy and extreme like walking across hot coals