Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Two Cooper's and one coo.

That wasn't the exact same as the paper from the original series, was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Trying to remember how many jobs/activities Laura had. Off the top of the dome I remember:

*High school student/homecoming queen
*Meals on Wheels
*Storytime diary hangouts with the shutin that grows flowers
*Helping Josie with English
*Helping Johnny Horne
*Friendship and hangout time with Donna
*Relationships with Bobby and James
*Therapy and tape-making with Jacoby
*Scoring drugs
*Working at One Eyed Jack's/working for Jacques
*Not washing her hands

Am I missing anything? With extracurriculars like that she would have been the star of every college admissions board in Pacific Northwest.

Presumably she also did actual work at the Perfume counter?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I also didn't catch that Dougie had a cup already. I thought they were bringing him the first one and planned on collecting it when they left or something.

I mean, it took me two seconds to realize after I saw them with the other cup though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yesss more Dr. Amp

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

getting a lot out of the albert and log lady footage

I assume Albert was able to do a full shooting schedule. He's in a ton of scenes and locations (and he's great).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Modrasone posted:

This all begs a rather obvious question, what is the end to Twin Peaks? What is the final resolution that completes the story?

There doesn't need to be a resolution to "twin peaks", but this new series could be wrapped up in a satisfactory way. Bring a resolution to the Cooper storylines, mainly. It's not like they need to destroy the lodges and put an end to all the supernatural stuff.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bobby, Gordon, and Albert are all standouts for me that I didn't really expect this season.

edit: was the "want to come see my new car" officer the same guy who said "I heard shots!" to Bobby on the street?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The glass box creature was already called "mother" based on dialogue in the first few episodes. Then when we see the "other" creature she is literally giving birth to Bob. Seems pretty clear that they're supposed to be the same entity.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It is pretty weird that Audrey ended up being in Twin Peaks the whole time, given how unconnected she seems to all the poo poo going on with Richard. Here's my left-field guess: Audrey gave birth while still in a coma, and he was raised by Benjamin and Sylvia. Do we know how long she was in the coma? Maybe it was like ten years.

The Donna theory is pretty funny too.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 31, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cooper isn't coming back. The FBI will eventually find him but he will spend the rest of his life in an assisted living facility.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What does the Secret History book say about Audrey? What exactly would the show be retconning if they reveal she's still in a coma?

RBX posted:

It was shown once and by mistake and nobody in Germany knew it was the wrong episode until after it aired.

So nobody over there has DVR's?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My theory on the reflection is that they just messed up in editing. They wanted cars to drive by at the correct pacing, so they shot a long reverse shot of Ed eating soup and looking at the window. Then when they needed to adjust the pacing of the cars, they spliced that part of the frame together while keeping Ed staring out the window.

There is evidence of this in the reflection shot. Just before the reflection "drops" the soup, you can see the headlights of the passing car pop into existence on the right of the frame. When the lights reach his reflection, the reflection cuts to the soup on the table.

Editors were probably told "I want this reverse shot to be shorter, but I still want two cars to drive by! And make sure Ed is looking out the window!" And they were just lazy with the reflection.

People are right when they say it would be more work to NOT make the reflection match, but that only applies when you know exactly what you want when filming. If Lynch or whoever decided in editing he wanted a 9 second shot of Ed staring at cars out the window, you end up with edits like that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

loving lol if you think the reflection is a mistake, ed even notices it and does a confused glance at the cup. They cut back to his reaction show you this. poo poo, they've been going out of their way to show and tell you time is hosed up.

Was the car's headlights popping into existence on the right side of the frame intentional too?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

that doesnt happen, the camera cuts back to the window as the car is already starting to pass, and the other cars all come in from outside the frame. but i can see why your memory would tell you that. well done on getting me to check tho.

when you are checking this poo poo make sure its not a garbage youtube video because that just makes the reflection blurry and hard to see.

It's obvious on a 1080p version. The second car - the one that pass through the reflection right as he "drops" his soup. When it enters the frame, the headlights pop in. It's just as obvious as the reflection cutting, I'm not sure how you can miss it.

I tried looking at a youtube version since I'm at work, but it's not as clear with the lovely compression. I can post some screenshots later today if you're still not seeing it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

cjg posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Sj20W

The David Lynch Foundation sponsored this? Supports this? Hmm....

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

please do because i'm not sure what you mean by pop in, the second car headlights come in from the very right edge as anything regular would.

Ok, you caused me to go full :spergin: explaining why everyone talking about this is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVUZGGjuj4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhTwXMOhxM

tl;dr: the reflection jumps because they cut to a different shot as the car drives by. There are several other things in the shot that jump as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So that german episode leak was probably just a hoax, right?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Slum Village posted:

You are expected to have watched FWWM before this series, but if you're not a superfan I could see forgetting a detail like Bowie's line.

Was that line even in FWWM, or was it a cut scene?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kind of weird how brief the interaction with Cole and Truman was. Like, shouldn't you ask him to email over the diary pages or something? Or maybe ask them about Briggs like you've been asking everybody else, or at least say "if there is any other information you come across or have already, turn it over."

It makes sense that Truman wouldn't be too concerned about getting info to the FBI (it was kind of weird that he called them to begin with), but Gordon should be very interested that stuff is happening in Twin Peaks, especially since he already had the connection to the town figured out. When that call happened I was expecting it to result in the squad flying out to Twin Peaks to partake in the Jackrabbit Palace trip.

Overall though I wouldn't dare complain about this episode because holy poo poo, so much happened and it was all great/hilarious/horrifying. There wasn't a wasted second.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bad Cooper is lucky that Diane never met her brother-in-law or even saw his picture on Facebook or whatever. Or maybe it doesn't matter because she's in on the whole thing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

redreader posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/twin-peaks-chrysta-bell-tammy-preston-interview.html

This is pretty interesting. I don't know if I believe everything here, I think she's being genuine in her interview but if there IS some kind of deal going on with her character she'd have to hide it in this interview. Maybe Lynch just knew how she acted IRL and decided twin peaks needed some of that. I think that's more likely.

I didn't know that she hadn't really acted before. That explains a lot. I guess Lynch just included her because he loves to put his long-time friends in things.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have a friend who has never seen Twin Peaks but LOVES the movie. :confused:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So is there now confirmation that the Cooper in the Jeffries FWWM scene was definitely the doppleganger? Bad Cooper was remembering the scene like he was there (as they cut to the shot of Cooper), and they made a point of pointing out the "who do you think that is, there?" line in the last ep.

I'm not sure how I feel about introducing time traveling Coopers. Should we assume every shot of Cooper in FWWM is a doppleganger?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Jeffries just mistook him for the doppelgänger because he is unstuck in time. This episode stresses that that meeting happened in 89, and I definitely don't think Coop there is intended to be a time-travelling doppelgänger haha

That's what I assumed after last episode, but the flashback in this one confused me. As it was happening I was thinking "this is a pretty big reveal!", but then nobody was talking about it. Keeping Cooper's memories would explain it, though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't care for the scenes much, but I really want to know what is going on with Audrey. I assume they're dragging this one scene out over five episodes to lead up to some reveal. Hopefully not the coma theory that people have had since the second scene.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm legit worried about what will become of The Log.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Adhesion posted:

Yeah I'm not buying it either. Secret History says Sarah was born in 1945 and met Leland in Washington, so I'm not sure why that would get immediately retconned. Given how little Lynch/Frost seem to care about continuity details it's not totally implausible but it seems weird. Has the new season ever contradicted the Secret History before?

It definitely retconned Carl Rod's age. In the book he's the third grade in 1947 when him and the Log Lady are abducted. In the series he's been smoking for 75 years (and looks way older than 70s).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

zelah posted:

Sometimes people embellish things like that for effect. Also smoking your whole life would age you. Carl is full of secrets, who knows

Ok maybe, but I refuse to believe Carl and the log lady were only 49 or 50 in FWWM. Or that they are only in their 70s this season. It's much more believeable that that the book wanted them to get abducted as children in the late 40s, and then the new series went back to more reasonable ages for them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Catherine Coulson died at 72

drat, that's surprising. :(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Section 9 posted:

I'm not sure which is better, but I'm really expecting that Cooper asking Mike to make another gold bead from him is so he can either recreate Dougie for Janey-E and Sonny Jim so they can have a life with their Dougie, or because he loves having them as a family so much that he will create a fake Cooper to take his place and he will run off to live a quiet family life in Las Vegas.

It's pretty obvious he's creating another Dougie to live in Vegas. It was made even more obvious when he said "Dougie I mean ME ;) will be walking through that red door soon".

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I can't believe people are arguing that "filler" is an anime term. Jesus.

Filler in television content, 1975: https://books.google.com/books?id=neMZAAAAMAAJ&dq=television+filler+episode&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler

Filler in television programming blocks, 1972: https://books.google.com/books?id=r3cHAQAAIAAJ&dq=filler&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler

Filler in a musical work, 1972: https://books.google.com/books?id=RY49AQAAIAAJ&dq=filler+remainder&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=filler+remainder

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there anyone from the announced cast list that hasn't shown up yet?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

chime_on posted:

Julee Cruise.

Oh... well I wonder what the last Roadhouse song will be then! :v:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I mean... guys, I love this show, but christ, those Diane effects... :stare:

This didn't really bother me. Both her and Dougie's "death" in the red room are VERY evocative of early Lynch effects. Like those short films he did in the 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if he did some of the effects in this by himself.

There has been plenty of CGI that seems unintentionally bad though. Like the gunshot wound a couple episodes ago, and the headless body in the first episodes.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bad Cooper is actually only 9 months his senior if you think about it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Occam's razor, people. Obviously Richard is 36 years old and is Leland's son. After the original series, Audrey adopted him. When Cooper says "my son", it is actually BOB speaking.

edit: Richard is a Tulpa, created in the past year. When bad Cooper says "I'm 25 years your senior", he means he was created 25 years earlier.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm glad Nadine was finally able to SHOVEL HERSELF OUT OF THE poo poo! :unsmith:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why do people keep saying they want another season of this? I thought it was established that Lynch is doing this one and that's it. Did something change? Did we not learn our lesson the first time they tried that?

I thought the same since it was billed as a "limited series event". But there's been some hints that a new season isn't impossible:

https://twitter.com/SHO_TwinPeaks/status/902177684817661952

Honestly I'd be happy to watch the continuing adventures of Cooper, Cole, and their investigations into Blue Rose cases.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I don't know how people could watch that scene where coop says goodbye to janie e and sonny jim and think he could mean anything other than he himself going back. he loves those people and he knows that a copy isn't as good as the real thing. he would never make a promise like he did if it wasn't the real coop that he intended to come back to them.

The part where he says "Dougie I will be coming back very soon ;)" makes it pretty obvious he's sending back the new Dougie he requested that Mike create.

Cooper spends a week with a new family in a catatonic state and decides he wants that life instead of joining Cole in fighting lodge spirits? That would be pretty lame. Cooper IS the FBI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Why would Cooper say goodbye to Bushnell for good ("I will not soon forget your kindness") if he wanted to keep working for him?