Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fargo pulled it off nicely, and I don't doubt MacLachlan is capable of it, but it would kind of be more Lynch's Twin Peaks style to do it in a series of back-and-forth cuts and heavily processed overlays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think it's going badly underappreciated that Candie is going to Twin Peaks, possibly to meet Andy and Lucy, and if there is any justice to get adopted by them.

e: not that she isn't in good hands right now, I mean, they have hearts of gold.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's the best kind of news. Imagine Twin Peaks season 4, but without Lynch's involvement, and with "who's a tulpa" on the table as a potential gimmick. Looney Tunes signs in the Black Lodge ain't poo poo compared to the horrors a roomful of writers who smell an opportunity for weekly social media buzz could visit upon this show.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm already planning a long weekend where I get a bunch of people together and we watch season 3 start to finish, but I'm gonna have to get some of them to watch 1 and 2 first.

We might need three days to pull it off. Breaks go after episodes 8 and 14 cause those are gonna be the ones that gently caress with people the most.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

That aside the area in Washington where Twin Peaks is supposed to roughly be is also about where the uranium for the Trinity bomb was mined from, and that caused some problems in the area at the time. The Midnite Mines in the 1950's caused displacement of native americans from their reservation as the uranium was under it. Radiation has been detected in multiple locations throughout the reservation. Also domestic supply for uranium became the norm on the mid 50's, whereas before the war it was taken from international sources. So we began mining more of our own land and displacing people to make, among other things, atomic weapons. Pretty evil imo.
That honestly seems like it might be the key to tying the whole backstory together. Spirits known to native americans live in an area and do their thing, until their home soil gets turned into a weapon of mass destruction, and they respond by sending murder spirits and frogroaches. Might also hint at why the "mother" is named the Experiment. drat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cromulent posted:

I feel like something is specifically going wrong with Tulpas created by Bad Coop, and they're becoming aware. I say this assuming (possibly incorrectly) that Audrey is a Tulpa (she also said "I'm not me" many times like Diane did). Maybe the white-space we saw Audrey at the end of the last episode is some kind of lodge purgatory, and the real Diane is there too, if she's not dead.

I know "everyone is a tulpa" is kind of a cliche at this point, but all "non dream/coma" possibilities seem to point to Audrey being one, especially with all that talk of contracts and agreements with Charlie.
Maybe Charlie/white space is where the lodge spirits stash real people that have Tulpas running around, and Mr. C actually fathered Richard with Audrey's. But I also kinda feel like revealing anyone else to be one now might ruin the impact.

Thoughts: Diane's tulpa was created from Diane, while Dougie was (presumably, but most likely) created from Mr. C. Dougie turns into the weird black oozing thing upon destruction, Diane's tulpa does not. Diane seems to have thought she was the real Diane. Dougie is hard to nail down but seems to have thought of himself as Dougie, as opposed to either as Cooper or as his doppelganger. But he was by all accounts a bit of a fuckup - maybe unfaithfulness and gambling debts are all an evil doppelganger of Cooper amounts to if he doesn't host BOB. And pretty soon there's gonna be a tulpa around that's created from the actual Cooper.

I didn't like seein' Diane go. But then, I happen to know that there's a little Cooper on the way. I guess that's the way the whole darned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

eshock posted:

I've been hoping for it all season, but I think the fact that they got a new voice actor for the teapot and phone calls, even going so far as to redub the flashback to his fwwm scene means they didnt't really get anything out of Bowie.
Yeah pretty much. They got Warren Frost's performance over Skype, if they couldn't even get audio from Bowie they sure as hell didn't get a musical performance. The Jeffries motel scene was clearly where Bowie would have made his appearance and if they'd been able to do anything with him I'm sure they would have gone for that. Harry Goaz has also gone on record saying they wanted to film with Bowie but it didn't work out.

If I'm completely honest I think it's a little bit in bad taste to think of one of the 20th century's most iconic artists dying of cancer in the context of "maybe they still got him on TV and it's a big surprise."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kaworu posted:

Or one of my favorite directors, Jim Jarmusch - I'm fairly certain a number of his films deliberately ask almost no questions, and provide fewer answers. Down By Law is a wonderful, beautiful, enchanting film where questions and answers are entirely beside the point, unless they involve the mechanics of survival and living.
Everyone who liked the first Audrey scene when it first aired owes it to themselves to watch The Limits Of Control, which if you have that mindset features one of the funniest lines ever committed to film that doesn't work at all if you just quote it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would not have poo poo on Nadine knocking BOB around with Dr. Amp's shovel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man Harry Dean Stanton never popped up on my cultural radar but the more I hear the more I think I want to remedy that ASAP.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FREDDIE: drat good Bovril, guv!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

It classifies them as a type of standing bell. Google image search the bells of some buddhist temples. And if people are wondering: they come big enough to put your jefferies inside of.
Speak for yourself, I doubt they make them large enough to fit my jefferies :smug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hiring a security guard specifically to prevent the guy you hired to watch the cameras from loving on the clock is some serious SCP countermeasures poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The curtains are red like blood, the donuts are loaded with sugar, and there's sex magic, this is all just David Lynch's tribute to the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I rewatched Lost Highway recently and I feel like there is a lot of common ground between it and Twin Peaks S3 2017. It's been a while and at one or two points during Twin Peaks I thought, yep, that's a bit like Lost Highway. No man, a lot of Twin Peaks stuff is a lot like Lost Highway.

I also watched Mulholland Drive and got the strong impression that the espresso man and his associate are kind of proto versions of the Mitchums. I wonder if David dug out a few old notes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Let's say I want to show The Return to someone who hasn't seen the first two series, you think there's a way to boil them down to the absolute essentials you need to know to get what S3 is all about? Like in the area of 5-6 episodes and Fire Walk With Me? I realize it's a tall order to condense a show down to a fifth of its runtime but I don't want to be all like "we have to sit through these 24 hours of TV before we can start with the good stuff."

I figure you gotta at least know about the red room, the essentials of the murder investigation (i.e. whodunnit), what Albert, Gordon, Bobby and Major Briggs are all about, and definitely Just You.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, let me open another nuance to the question: those of you who actually did watch The Return without knowing the original two seasons, was that a fairly good time, did you ever wish you knew the background of certain things etc?

that is, the background insofar as the first two seasons actually provided it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll concede that you can't rush watching Twin Peaks and that you shouldn't make people rush it but I still feel like there should be a provision for when the goal isn't "watch Twin Peaks" but specifically "watch Twin Peaks The Return together."

Whatevs I'ma just be like "here's the gold box call me when you're done."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay now THAT is a sentiment I can get behind 100%. Nicely phrased.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm looking for stuff to decorate my office wall and came across these posters. I don't like ordering stuff from overseas usually but these are really bloody good. I wouldn't blame anyone with cash to burn for getting the full set. Only downside is that none of them shows Freddie.

Also I only just realized but our mail clerk is always trying to get folks to join him for lunch and he's the spitting image of Big Ed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah the pure traces are definitely the worst of the bunch. Style's still cool though, and the ones for episodes 1, 8 and 17 are pretty great, for example. e: and 3

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you think about it, it's not so different from a set dresser getting caught in the shot and David Lynch liking him so much he made him the most evil force in the universe, but I'm now also imagining if David Lynch was really into lovely toys and had come across Ashens.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's incredibly odd that German amazon doesn't yet have a listing for The Return on DVD or Blu-Ray, and I can't find any release info anywhere else.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that just makes it weirder, it's like they've never heard of it here. On the other hand, UK is the same region so sure, that works for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There aren't a lot of things where I feel like a DVD just won't do and I need the blu-ray. Fury Road was one, Blade Runner was one, and this most definitely is one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got Fire Walk With Me today and the blurb on the back of the case ends with something like “but even Dale Cooper can't crack the case.“ Understatement of the decade.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to rewatch the original show first. Take a month, do an episode a day. Then the movie. Then find someone to marathon The Return with me and transcend existence as we know it. :getin:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

eSporks posted:

Aww, this is so cute. You have no idea what you are in for. Please come back after you watch episode 8.

Spoilered because knowing it's coming ruins the fun.
I'm not a fan of reaction videos on youtube but I swear, if I ever do the S3 marathon with someone, I'm setting up a camera for that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

People are seeing Dougie wildly swing between incredibly effective and incredibly ineffective, but he's not being consistently incompetent.
I'd appreciate you not talking about me behind my back in the Twin Peaks thread

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm rewatching the entirety of Twin Peaks, one episode a day until I get to S3 which I want to marathon. I may take breaks between seasons but I'll try and keep up.

It's already super weird to watch the pilot with S3 in mind, because I keep wondering how much of S3 was in Lynch and Frost's mind when they were filming this. Most likely not much, but I still can't help but think of it. Pretty much every scene with Sarah feels very strange, for one.

Cooper is kind of acting like a dick. Feels like he wasn't fully fleshed out yet in the pilot.

James status: cool. So far it holds up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 1: Cooper is rapidly on the way to the Coop we remember and love. Sarah is having unstable moods and visions of a certain set dresser which are, if anything, even creepier in hindsight, and I can already absolutely see where the idea for her S3 portrayal came from. Pete is making fish coffee.

James: the wool jumper and the goofy grin he gives Donna are not cool. But he's playing it cool, the meet-the-parents thing, and I feel that oughta count.

Talked to a friend today about the show and she said she'd only ever seen the first two or three episodes, years ago. I'm starting to wonder if that means she never even got to the Red Room. I think if you're watching Twin Peaks today and wondering what the deal is, that's what's gonna hook you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 2: the Red Room scene may not in fact be what hooks you. The first one kinda just comes across as weird for its own sake and I'd love to know what audiences thought of it back in the day. MIKE's recitation of the poem and subsequent monologue feel like the early 90s prototype of the ending to S3 episode 8. Actually, if you know what's to come regarding the Black Lodge stuff - and not even in S3, just the first two - these first glimpses of it still feel improperly fleshed out. Cooper's definitely found his stride by now, though.

James is barely in this episode. Status unchanged.

e: E3: to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding the show's not for them after this one. The soap opera aspects get painfully overt sometimes and 25 years remove a lot of context with the media landscape.

Fighting someone at a funeral isn't very cool. Being in a secret society, though? Totally.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kuddles posted:

The International Pilot presents the red room stuff from Episode 2 with a preface that says "25 Years Later..." which is why Kyle is in old man makeup. It also establishes BOB as an evil entity created by a "convenience store." Episode 3 has Cooper admitting that his supernatural sense of intuition was a gift to him in a dream.

I mean, I agree that they are making a lot of it up as they go along (which makes some of the crazier theories linking The Return to throwaway joke dialogue in the original series really funny), but I have a feeling they had an idea of where the show would be headed, even if it would have been presented in a completely different way on Season 6 of the hypothetical original show rather than The Return.
I did notice that in an episode Lynch directed (might have been 3), there seemed to be a lot of dialogue about dreams. In particular Audrey's line "isn't this music so dreamy" which I'm sure has been dug up and analyzed back and forth in light of The Return.

E4: a while ago I asked you guys if you thought you could condense the first two seasons to the bare essentials you absolutely need to know to get S3. You told me no way, Twin Peaks was a package deal. And I thought that was fair enough but you totally can and this is where you start.

I guess it all depends on what parts of the show you enjoy. Me, I couldn’t give a poo poo about the whole sawmill plot the first time I watched it, let alone now.

James encounters Maddie and is seriously in danger of losing his cool, but I’m giving him a pass based on the fact that surprise meeting a double of your dead secret girlfriend would probably put anyone out of balance.

E5: it's fascinating how much the show picks up the pace once one of the showrunners, in this case Frost, writes the script. Even the sawmill thing is getting interesting now. Bobby is rapidly turning into something more than a cliche high school football thug and I'm so glad they brought him back in S3.

Standout part: Leland has another public breakdown and Catherine turns it into a dance move to save the business deal. Holy poo poo that holds up as a cynical move even after 25+ years in which there's been no shortage of cynical moves on TV.

James has regained balance and continues to be cool.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No I mean episode 4, not counting the pilot, is probably one you can safely mostly skip, if for some reason your only drive to watch S1 and S2 is to get backstory on the relevant parts of The Return.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did give that as a ballpark number and in retrospect it was a bit of a tall order. I figure you'd want to keep in as many of Pete's scenes in as possible, anyway.

E6: I feel like the show's found its legs now, although this might be because we're only one episode from the end of season 1 and rapidly building towards the climax. The Bookhouse Boys go on a road trip, the kids hatch a plan of their own, and Leo assassinates a bird. Not before its eyewitness account is committed to tape; MacLachlan and Ontkean are conveying a lot of emotion through body language alone here, pretty great scene.

(We're all agreed that Ontkean's absence hurt the most in S3, right? Like, out of all the central actors that hadn't died.)

I forgot if Ben Horne knows that One Eyed Jack's recruits girls from his store. I mean, I wouldn't think he'd let Audrey work there if he did, but does he never recognize any of the girls? Or more probably, as he doesn't seem to be involved in the day to day running of the business, get recognized?

James is hatching a pretty emotionally manipulative plan here if you think about it, but it's still cool in a YA detective fiction sort of way if you don't.

I can't believe they made season 2 almost three times as long and frankly I'm dreading to revisit some of the more out there storylines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aaaand here's episode 7, the season finale, a very good one too where practically every plot thread so far is turned on its head and we seem to be getting some closure on how Laura's murder went down. But, well, we've got a second series ahead of us that's three times as long as the first one.

One thought in particular occurs: considering the Black Lodge aspect becomes such a big part of the show later and the whole of The Return revolves around it, it's really very low key in the first season. We get one scene and it's presented, and was probably conceived, as nothing more than a dream sequence. But then again, there are owls, there are glimpses of BOB, there are the Bookhouse Boys on their mission against... something. Seeds are sown.

I forgot that Ben actually owns One Eyed Jack's, which, uh, means he definitely knows where the girls come from, right?

James is taking Laura's posthumous message on tape extremely well. It's looking good for him so far, but anyone who knows Twin Peaks knows that the real whoppers come in season 2. For better or worse.

Oh, and my friend who didn't watch beyond the early episodes really never did catch the dream sequence, or doesn't remember it. But then like I said, that part of the show takes until season 2 to really kick in anyway. Tricky business, this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My whole reason for trimming the fat would be to make a condensed version that enables you to watch S3 in its entirety and have all the necessary context for recurring characters. Not really to improve on 90s Twin Peaks as it is - sure it's got some iffy parts but I'd still think that would be a bit presumptuous.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Season 2, Episode 1! This is where, if you look at it in retrospect, David Lynch lays out his whole plan for the show. The Black Lodge mythology feels firmly in place now. Perhaps, in fact, a little more of it than obvious. I'm pretty sure I just saw Sarah Palmer cross a room and the rug fibres stand up in her path as if she was dragging something invisible. It's hard to think that Harriet's poem about "Laura glowing in the dark woods" was a coincidence, and the Giant definitely hit Cooper with a golden orb at the end.

Or maybe that was all just spur of the moment stuff and David Lynch tied it together 25 years later who the hell knows.

One thing, though: Donna and Maddie talking at the RR is exactly the kind of conversation people have in the Roadhouse booths in season 3. The only difference is that we know the context. Go ahead and listen to their talk and imagine you had no idea who James or Leland are or who these girls are. Twin Peaks can't catch a break, there's always shady poo poo happening to everyone, and the show just happens to follow one set of people.

James handles being framed and put in jail cold as ice. I guess being part of the secret police club helps a bit.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E2 and E3: watching an episode directed by Lynch and one that wasn't back to back really highlights how much less focused the non-Lynch episode is, and gives a glimpse of the kind of second season we could have gotten if it had been Lynch all the way. Probably not that unlike the third season, even 25 years before. A lot of stuff I remembered happening in season 2 was in these three episodes already, and I'm kinda starting to wonder what on earth they'll fill the remaining 19 episodes with. Then Nadine wakes up from her coma and I think, right, yes. That..

But let's not dwell on that. We have a more urgent development to note.

James. Oh James. An entire season of eight episodes was no problem for you. I knew vaguely what kind of stuff was coming up in season 2 but I was sure you'd found your stride and, even if eventually you might stop being cool, you would at least hold out a tiny bit longer than two out of twenty-two drat episodes before you do something so profoundly uncool as get caught giving the other girl a meaningful eye in a tender moment. This was yours to lose, James. We're through. Return my half a necklace at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E4: what a strange episode. It's so utterly inconsequential to anything and so different in tone to the show so far. It hardly feels like Twin Peaks at all, more like someone's slightly inept knockoff. Weird considering that Frost, Harley Peyton and Robert Engels all got writing credits, but then again it's also the only credit in the show to fourth writer Jerry Stahl and director Todd Holland.

Did anyone fall for Mr. Tojamura back in the day? Were you even supposed to?

James isn't even in this one. But I think we need some time apart.