Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And More posted:

Sure: http://post45.research.yale.edu/2017/08/the-slow-burn-twin-peaks/

It's a bit academic at times (as you'd expect), but it's all interesting.
Awesome, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I YouTubed "Twin Peaks one year later" because I could swear there would be at least a few hour-long video essays or whatever, but I could only find 2 ~12 minute long videos and they both sucked. I guess they could've been good had they been presented differently, but the presentation turned me off at least.

I'm disappointed there isn't more out there :smith:
I looked around at a few last night myself and this one was probably the best I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiJLAfqt7k

It's like, its alright, I like that they're even attempting to interpret the show. I generally agree with the broader ideas they're interpreting the series to contain. But even that being said, they don't go far enough with their own examples- like they have some neat things to say about the Audrey's Dance scene, but how do you talk about and totally ignore how the credits of that episode have the Audrey's Dance theme played in reverse?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It reminds me of a similar argument about Lost Highway being a hitpiece on some Oliver Stone stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAi2ehBBw7M

Might have been linked here before.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It'd be cool if it happens, but if it doesn't I'm satisfied with what we have.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What year is this?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like Wild at Heart but I still find it kind of surprising it won the Palme d'Or back in the day.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I would consider Dune to be an interesting failure at the very least- you still have some neat visuals, the first time Kyle and Lynch worked together, Patrick Stewart and Sting etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I've seen all his films but The Straight Story.
You should really watch The Straight Story. It's good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I used to not like Cache very much because it seemed kind of didactic to me, but then seeing both versions of Funny Games back to back really kind of put it in perspective for me lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd argue that at least some season 2 filler only ended up more relevant with The Return.

Like Ben Horne's Civil War thing where he imagines himself changing history only ends up becoming a comedic foreshadowing for Cooper literally (And tragically) changing history in The Return.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think James was always supposed to be kind of a dope. One of Jacoby's tapes of Laura even has her talking about how she can't believe how dumb he is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Twin Peaks is a fictional television show
You’re the one who is fictional, and *in an extremely Charlie voice* I’m going to end your story too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Laura is the Fayth, and Cooper is the star Blitzball player.
Is James that kid that wants to be a blitzball when he grows up?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Even more powerful afterward, when you realize he’s the Leland from the timeline where she went missing. The amount of stuff that clicks on rewatch is crazy.
Oooh this is an interesting take. I always figured that Leland was some kind of Red Room entity specifically trying to trick Cooper into loving up once again. Either way going on to a quest given be Leland of all people should be a big warning sign.

drat I can't wait to rewatch The Return whenever I find some time to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In the Carrie Page timeline it's called Season 3 obv. Its only in our timeline that its A Limited Event Series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That’s too hosed up to even joke about.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TheBizzness posted:

How could you enjoy FWWM but not s3e8. Does not compute.
Is it really that strange? As uncomfortable as it can be, FWWM still follows a more traditional narrative structure than S3E8 does. If you're not used to something without a lot of dialogue that focuses on character interaction/development or exposition then S3E8 can feel very alien.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Dark Space Low" is such a perfect name for that track too. What a good bit of music.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’d say Elephant Man and Straight Story are his most accessible by a wide margin.

Straight Story in particular is insanely underrated- it’s like Lynch channelling John Ford.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 20, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Section 9 posted:

They're the most accessible, but possibly the least "Lynch".
Even then I'd say they still have more in common with the rest of his work than like Dune does.

I guess its kind of a moot point though because I think people should just watch all of his stuff anyways, Dune included.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I completely forgot that On the Air exists. Seems like as good a time as any to watch it.

This whole conversation reminds me though that one of the things that I found most interesting about The Return was how it has a real accumulative quality in regards to the types of films Lynch made over his career. Like yeah you have Lynch the puzzlebox neonoir "what even is my identity also where the gently caress am I" storyteller in there and Lynch the surrealist, but also the Lynch interested in small town America and Lynch the comedian, and Lynch the social critic and even Lynch the concert filmmaker takes up a significant part of the runtime. It's like a final exam or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

She was a treasure. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While I'm sure Anno had Twin Peaks on the mind considering how popular it was in the 90's in Japan, for the most part I feel like Godard is the better comparison to Anno than Lynch- you even find the whole "white text on black background interrogating the characters" thing in a movie like Masculun Feminin, and the collage style of the TV ending of Eva seems very reminiscent of his essay films like Historie(s) du cinema to me (Though granted its used for a very different purpose). When Godard is actually working in narrative he's often riffing on genres in his own way too of course, something all three of them have in common.

kaworu you should watch the Rebuild of Eva movies at some point- I do think they have a similar relationship with NGE that The Return has with OG Twin Peaks. I think that's where the stronger Lynch comparison lies IMHO, particularly with the third Rebuild movie having very similar you can't relive/remake the past themes.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 29, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh, we do get dramatic echoes to those more comedic bits in season 2 though. Like Cooper literally trying to change history, an actual evil stepchild in Richard Horne (Reminder that "Dick" is a common nickname for Richard) etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All that Lost theorizing really caused a lot of people to miss the forest for the trees though and get mad when the finale didn't give them "answers". Hell I was one of them.

Like I remember dozens of people swearing up and down that Lost wasn't a character drama- despite a third of most episodes being spent on pure character backstory.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaworu has always been cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't been following the rewatch, but I hope y'all have been enjoying it.

Volte posted:

One thing I think the video did get right (or at least, is on the right track about) is that Twin Peaks is a TV show whose "TV-show-ness" is part of the fabric of its universe. Not necessarily in a fourth-wall-breaking meta kind of way, but in the sense that when the characters question the nature of their universe (or should I say "the absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence") they are really wondering about the medium in which they exist: television.
I think the biggest "Oh, duh" moment about Twin Peaks' "TV-show-ness" for me is when I read an article that suggested Andy and Lucy's names are probably references to Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy. Just seems so obvious in retrospect.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That short absolutely made my morning. What a goofy, delightful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It should be illegal for Lynch to die IMHO.