Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Potato posted:

I'm really excited for Wonder Woman, and I think it might be my most hyped movie this year behind Valerian. I trust Patty Jenkins even though I've never seen anything by her. Honestly the thing I'm looking forward to most is the Wonder Woman theme popping up throughout the film.

Why do you trust Patty Jenkins then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry you have bad taste.

His only bad taste is in the people who think BvS is a bad movie that he allows around him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
FLASHBACK
*shopping, dropping carton of eggs while walking to car; yolk spatters everywhere*

"...and from this great tragedy I left the world of Man 100 years ago"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toady posted:

Tell us more about that 10 year ordeal of being forced to hear from Sonic The Hedgehog You May Have Heard Of It fans.

Anyone who says MoS was stupid and terrible doesn't deserved to be responded to. :colbert:
We should all stop talking to Lurdiak.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Costner thoughtful dialog scenes in MOS and BvS are truly amazing. They also highlight the largest issues people who dislike the movie have, theme-wise. Then they revert to their reptilian-brain protect mode and lash out at any change - going so far as to even make up changes to hate. It's just too much for them to even explore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Brooks posted:

That's the flaw. Zod was a better soldier than Clark could ever be. But because Zod was programed from birth for that role and only that role, he's better than Clark in one way. Clark has other potential strengths to draw on so that as a complete whole he's stronger, more capable than Zod.

It would help if he is put in a similar situation again and goes "No, I've learned from my mistakes. Here's a solution" and it needs to be something that neither the audience or the villain expected.

lol :rolleyes:

"with the power of love, Clark was able to defeat and capture Zod in their next battle."

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'll probably be his fight with Darkseid in the climactic scene of Justice League 2.

It'll be like the ending of Star Wars where Vader throws the Emperor down that well, except it'll be Superman kicking Darkseid off of his sofa.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah the entire box office projections industry sounds like someone invented a job title and is trying extra super hard to justify their pay cheque. "Look at all the statistics we've collected!!" But then again the pointless job justification industry has been a massive part of Hollywood for many many decades.

...and the Oscar goes to...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wonder Woman's take on WWI
Humanity: "What have we done?!?!"
Humanity: "Oh thank goodness, it was all a dream."
Humanity on WW2: "FINALLY we can do war our way!"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darth Brooks posted:

It would be funny for Diana to get pissed at how terrible mankind is based on WWI and take a twenty year sabbatical, just to come back in time for WWII.

http://i.imgur.com/irrbBmX.gifv

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the meantime, Patty Jenkins comments on the "why Diana walked out from humanity" thing. Linked just to be sure about spoilers.

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes-explained/

Unless I'm misreading, this is pretty loving waffley. Bill Clinton levels.

Also, holy poo poo, this writer person actually took the time to understand MoS and BVS instead of complaining like a retarded idiot. I'm impressed.
http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes/

quote:

To explain our argument here, let’s start at the start with Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, the first chance those devoted to DC’s big blue Boy Scout had to declare WB, DC, and Snyder had “gotten Superman wrong.” It’s easy to see the case being made, since the fact Superman’s been around for the better part of a century establishes him as an unflappable symbol of timeless, faultless heroism. In that sense alone, the ‘idea’ of Superman is an ‘ideal,’ existing outside of and above the pettiness or darkness of our world. So when Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Christopher Nolan decided to examine how our modern world would react to Superman, that timeless veneer was shattered.

Still, Man of Steel gets at the heart of the best Superman stories in terms of its premise: he is special at birth, raised into a good man by Earth parents, emerges into the world as a guardian angel, and must defend all of humanity as he struggles to integrate his two selves, born of two worlds. But drop that story into our imperfect world, and it’s filled in with elements of xenophobia, government structures too big to fight, unwinnable scenarios, and the simple fact that sometimes ‘choosing one or the other’ leads to trauma, not closure.
edit:god dammit. reply isn't edit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I don't think you should have to see one movie to understand the other. That's just my opinion. I know people love the interconnectedness of this stuff but I read comics in the 80s and saw the Dawn of the Cross-Over in realtime. Not a big fan.

I don't think he's saying that. Probably more exploration of themes and characters than a continuation of story.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahaha someone actually willingly uses that kill bill bullshit as a serious response? Jeeeesus Christ.

I mean, it works as a speech in the movie because it's a parallel for the Wife's situation, but come the gently caress on, man, the only Superman that it's pertinent to is the 70's era one where he marries Jimmy to an Ape or slaps Lois for not making him a sandwich.

But I guess it's the Snyder movies that AREN'T MY SUPERMAN!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Judakel posted:

Because that writer's point is that wonder woman is different because she isn't human. Follow the thread.

I never meant for the discussion to go to WW from that writer's article - I merely wanted to point out what made MoS so divisive, but their point was that she was raised as an outsider. Clark discovers his alien heritage and views it through a modern human point of view while WW views the world through her alien (a thousand year old retro fantasy god-world) pov. And Batman is just psychotic so who knows what the gently caress he thinks.

And literally everything you've written misses the point, it's quite weird. :crossarms:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd rather die in trench warfare than read an article from polygon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"It's her time."

I can remember another woman recently who tried to campaign with basically that slogan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
this is the first paragraph of IMDB's top review for Wonder Woman.

quote:

I had the honor of watching WW during a screening and was completely blown away! This isn't just the best DCEU movie ever made, this is one of the best movie ever made. Everything in this film is excellent, not one piece of annoyance.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Okay, I just got back from seeing the film earlier

So the movie handles itself pretty well? It sounds like your view is contradicted by others, though, regarding the war stuff.

All this earlier talk had me kinda down on seeing it. I really enjoyed the soul searching of the first two films, but I'm down for new themes in a new movie if it's done well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

well why not posted:

Steve Rogers got close enough to punch Hitler but didn't manage to actually kill him, despite being 'stronger than any human' ie. he has the punch of Mike Tyson at his prime, with an armoured glove. This stuff just can't touch 'real world' events at all. Dr. Doom cried about 9/11 and it was the silliest thing ever committed to paper.

I truly believe Marvel believes that Laughter is the Best Medicine, and was trying to heal us all through humor by writing that scene.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Azubah posted:

Could they explain why she left humanity to rot in a theoretical sequel or is the ending to this one that concrete?

Unless they were knocking on her island door it's not like the Amazons would really know current events around the world, right? Maybe they were turtling down preparing to prevent another potential invasion or something and they heard about ww2 and were all like, "Ares isn't loving with you this time? lol we'll come back when y'all're finished with all that bullshit."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The spoiler-free summary of all those posts is: The third act is bad. The first is okay. The second is fantastic. BvS kinda screwed up the ability to have a sensible ending that stands on its own. WW punch scenes are good. WW sword fights are bad. Gal Gadot acts much better in WW than in BvS. Chris Pine acts good.
Does Chris Pine sing any songs in this movie?

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure you walked into the movie with no bias at all, and your opinion is well thought out and valuable. We can all pray that the stuido listens to good insightful criticism like "dialogue was mediocre." "the villains were stock villains".

:lol:
tbh that is more insightful and clear criticism than what MoS and BvS ever got from notmysupermans and professional critics alike.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

It would be amusing if she were 100% bulletproof and didn't even know it and was wasting all this energy dodging and blocking bullets

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dublish posted:

I agree with Shimrra that the movie doesn't take its setting as seriously as it could. The scene in No Man's Land, as good as it looked, goes out of its way to portray trench warfare as a playground- there's no barbed wire, no artillery, no casualties, and all it takes for a successful attack over the top is a little bit of élan provided by Wonder Woman. I'm still trying to come up with a reading for this.

Do you treat Wonder Woman as a fairy tale? Maybe a Princess Bride-esque story told after the fact by either an observer or third party, where the details are embellished for the sake of storytelling clarity?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve2911 posted:

Satan has the most adorable moustache.

What a stupid fun dumb wonderful movie. A million miles ahead of all the other DCCU films. I forgot what it was like to have a plot structure or characters in these things.

:crossarms:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has he really changed the world, though? Like in the context of the DC movies, for the "present day" to be recognizable, it's still going to be a capitalist-dominated world with corrupt billionaires and dysfunctional governments and international terrorism and all that. Throughout BvS he's still mostly doing "rescue" operations, saving people from bad things that have happened, which is good, but he's not shaking the fundamental pillars of power. Even Luthor is just one guy, when he's put in jail at the end that's not the end of Silicon Valley douchebags.

Hes changed the world by making himself known as a dude who is an alien god, who cares about humanity. He changed the world by saving all of humanity from being murdered, probably twice. Like, he's not going to put the world into a bottle or anything or become a dictator, what are you thinking he should do to change the world, carve out his own country, Supermanistan, and lead by example?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Putting aside whether it is or not (it's not), suffering through goons rehashing the same arguments about it and gushing over it in every thread is well past its use by date.

I liked WW quite a bit. It has a weak third act but the first two acts are phenomenal. WW going over the top on No Man's Land and storming that occupied village are the best things the DCEU has offered, easily supplanting the first part of BvS.

Really though the only reason many of us rehash arguments about MoS and BvS being good is because idiots who complain about them have less a grasp on reality than an average Fox and Friends debate. Then they compare them to other movies in the same genre, only the comparisons are about things that never happened in the films. Or they just constantly say "but my superman would never! . . . !!!"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm at the point where I wish they would end them in a different way.

*record scratch, freeze frame*
". . .You might be wondering how I ended up this way"

Wonder Woman will return

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Also, can we just do away with this whole notion that Diana ignored the Holocaust or something? Nothing in this film says anything about what Diana did in the years between World War I and now. She could have sat it out, or she could have been involved. This isn't a spoiler, either.

Maybe when she said she left the world of Man for 100 years she just meant she didn't fall in love with anyone else for that long, until she met Bruce about 100 years later.. :heysexy:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 7, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tenzarin posted:

Wonder Woman did the unthinkable, crossing no man land while being completely immune to bullets.

Truly an inspiration for our times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey, Forrest Gump is really fun. :mad: Screw those LotR movies, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like Superman dying once in the current continuity is enough.

"We can go darker." - Zack Snyder

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mars4523 posted:

Still, it's a pretty good movie. Not a great movie, and not as good as Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (which holds together much better throughout) or Logan (I just really like how that movie uses the beat of the score to emphasize the growing tension of the scene), but for D.C. it's a huge step up.

:rolleyes:
I get you prefer the happier tone and less internally conflicted character arcs, but c'mon. Quit this poo poo. Unless you're only talking about Suicide Squad, in which case carry on.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 10, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mastershakeman posted:

damnit, where? I don't remember that

As child Bruce, surrounded by bats being lifted into the light after falling down into the cave during his parent's funeral. His dream.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Read an article earlier that said BvS, MoS, and Suicide Squad saw drops in the high 50s to low 60s for the second weekend. Wonder Woman only having a 45% drop is insane. Movie's got legs, hope to see its box office success go even further.

MOS had a 45% drop for its second week.
BvS had a 69%.
Don't care what SS had. Hopefully worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't get that. We've seen behind the scenes of Snyder directing the action scenes in MoS and BvS. Why would Jenkins, as also a director, not direct those herself?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

It mostly avoided that loving terrible sliding stutter step movement that looks so weird and weightless whenever superman moves fast over a short distance, up until the end at least.

The action would probably have looked great if every goofy flip hadn't been in slomo. The first time she deflected a bullet in slowmo was great. By the end I never needed another.

The superspeed is MoS and BvS is loving awesome, get out of here. :mad:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

When Faora did this in MoS to that group of soldiers, it was loving awesome.

fuk yea

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

It is not very good. It's the worst action Snyder has ever done.

Also Wonder Woman's action scenes are great because what those scenes are about is great. So you can divorce it from context and study them, but that would take away the main reason why that scene rules.

That No Mans Land scene is pure visual storytelling, just how a good action scene should be.

*overlays Chariots of Fire song over a Friskies cat food commercial*
"drat. That's...that's just the best action scene I've ever seen. It's beautiful."
*bunches of floofy kittens clumsily slo-mo slide into a wall*
"...pure visual storytelling."
*sheds a tear at revelation of pure art*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrJacobs posted:

Her tactical expertise is to just keep attacking the problem from the front in both movies she's been in. She's the team's wolverine, not the teams tactician.

To be fair, Doomsday is the type of thing you HAVE to fight from the front - and she did chop of his hand, not her fualt it grew into a bone sword. She also didn't know what the gently caress was going on beyond some grey gorilla is energy ground-pounding up a city.

And with Ares, well, it's kinda hard to go one on one with something that is attacking you and NOT be head to head. It's not like she's Predator or something. She also theoretically has years of training in classical warfare from her Amazon schooling. She'd probably make a great Captain to Batman's General in times of battle, but she should clearly be be the public voice of the JL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

When? I didn't spot any when I watched it.

That's because it was moving too slow for your non-Kryptonian eyes to follow it.

• Locked thread