Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

I love James Cameron's films, but his comments about Wonder Woman were dumb.
The fact that WW wasn't some troubled or "macho" character is exactly what was so great about her. She was feminine and a supreme badass. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tenzarin posted:

She saves her love interest.
She's got Diana beat there.

On the topic of Suicide Squad, everything I've read says it was nominated and won for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. There's no mention of a second Oscar.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 25, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought the author of The Hunger Games was a libertarian survivalist or something.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Here's the "bonus' scene that comes with the bluray. It definitely feels like sequence that was supposed to go mid credits.

https://twitter.com/YahooMovies/status/902184606174248960/video/1

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inescapable Duck posted:

Any indication as to what artifact they're talking about? First thought, maybe the Mother Box that would eventually become Cyborg.
That's what I'm guessing it is. They said the bonus scene is supposed to connect WW to JL.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hiddenriverninja posted:

Rewatching the first fight scene after No Man's Land in the office building, there are a lot of little touches that I love, like Diana sliding across the room with her shield to close distance and holding the godkiller sword by the blade to beat a dude up with the hilt :allears:
i got the digital version today too. Two little things I hadn't noticed in theatres are when Diana is climbing the ladder to exit the trench she's still wearing her black robe and it slips off to reveal her shield and her full outfit Also, when she's in the cabinet room and all the guys are shocked to see a woman there, some soldiers sitting next to the colonel that Steve wants to talk two are staring and pointing at her. The camera turns to Diana and she gives them this look like "yeah I see you pointing, what do you want?!?" And after her fight with Ludendorff, I don't know if it was makeup or what, but you can see that she was sweating. It's a small but cool touch. She hasn't awakened her full powers yet so fights like this still take a toll on her.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 30, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jenkins on the WW sequel:

quote:

“The greatest thing about making this [the first Wonder Woman] movie was the fact that you’re really building to the Wonder Woman that we all love, but not until the end of the movie. The most exciting thing about [the sequel] is literally seeing her loose in the world now, living those classic stories. Here’s Wonder Woman, and what can she do? It should be a totally different movie, but a grand and now full-blown Wonder Woman in the world.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The film is not theodical, because Diana is not all-powerful.
Theodicy is premised on God being all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-good, correct? It wouldn't work with the Greek/Roman pantheon since their gods don't have all those qualities would it?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tenzarin posted:

It would have to be after JL so that leaves space aliens, saving whales, global warming, or ISIL.
Maybe some sort of Cuban Missile Crisis like stand off threatening global annihilation that's the result of rising nationalism and populism around the world. Diana disarms and defeats both sides with the power of love instead of hate and fear.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's a movie that occurs within the DC universe. Why wouldn't Ares be just as real as Steve Trevor, Bruce Wayne, General Zod, or Doomsday? Sure he can represent Diana's struggle as she comes to grasp with what reality actually is versus her idealized version of reality but I don't see why he can be a real, physical entity.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

But Ares was still real in the sense that he was an actual entity of some kind.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hmm so are you suggesting that Diana is like Captain America? A human who has been given super human abilities? But by whom and why? And why the whole Greek mythology background? And are you just referring to the Diana in the movie or the comic too?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Drifter posted:

How do you know she was born human, and gods don't exist yadda yadda? I tell stories to friends about my dead grandparents.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why we can't just take her origin story and the whole movie at face value. It's a comic book movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Wouldn't Diana, having been sculpted from clay, be a golem?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's true, golems can't speak and are only capable of basic tasks.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

....... and two and a half months later:

It made $1.9 million on its 14th weekend. The Avengers and The Dark Knight only made $400,000 on the same weekend and The Force Awakens didn't even make $1m on its 14th weekend. Holy gently caress this thing has legs.
I was going to comment that it just opened in Japan last week but then I realized that was domestic, not international. Wow.

Speaking of Japan, it's made $7.5 million there in the past week.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Are Wonder Woman and Justice League the first major films where Gadot's character isn't "sexy Jewish lady/Mossad agent"? In the Fast and the Furious movies and Date Night it's specifically pointed out that she is Israeli and is/was with Mossad. In Keeping Up with the Joneses she says she's Israeli and it's heavily implied she's a Mossad agent. In Triple 9 she's a Russian-Jew. I haven't seen Criminal or Knight and Day (lol at her and Cruise sharing a scene together. I imagine it'd be all close ups or them sitting) so I don't know what her character is there.

Yes she has an accent but surely there's another character she can play.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 6, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, Batman vs. Superman was earlier and she wasn't a sexy Jewish Mossad agent in that.
Oh right I forgot about that. Duh.

Guy A. Person posted:

Not that I disagree with her previous typecasting being bad, but it seems odd to complain about at this point. Like now she is Wonder Woman and in one of the most successful films of the year, I think she has successfully broken out of the typecasting (she will still be a sexy "exotic" lady forever tho probably)
I didn't mean it as a complaint. I just thought it was almost funny how she was typecast in such a specific role. And yes, it's great to see that she's hopefully broken out of that.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 6, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sir Kodiak posted:

I wouldn't count on it. After Batman Begins, Nolan got to direct The Prestige. Following Wonder Woman, Jenkins is directing a TNT miniseries.
And Chris Pine is starting in it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lol so basically every blooper clip she's in

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Chris Pine's nickname for Gal was Giggle Gadot.
Their promotional interviews together are awesome.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMQBNSMfcc

Reshot/Extended/Deleted scenes

Personally I think the boat scene that appeared in the movie was better than this one. Also, I just noticed the brief glance Steve does when Diana takes off her cloak in the department store.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 10, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think having Steve distracted with looking for food is part of what makes it seem awkward. The final version where the two of them are lying together is obviously more polished but also let the characters form more of a connection; in my view anyway.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Excellent and good for her. :)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Considering that the Greek gods are "real" in the DCEU it'll be interesting to see what Aquaman's origin story is.

I noticed during the retelling of the Amazon's history to young Diana, when Poseidon was struck down his trident was thrown off to the side. I wonder if we'll see it in Atlantis.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wdarkk posted:

Do you have a good screencap of it? It'd be interesting to compare it to the one Aquaman uses.
In WW it's a traditional three pronged trident. Aquaman's has five prongs.

Screencaps

Aquaman in JL

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was thinking that we might see the original trident as some sort of almost sacred relic.

Also, this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/908539706077462529

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

When they make Batman Beyond this should be how the bat signal works
and the wings flap and the bat flys around :3:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That's pretty cool. I hadn't thought about how there was no modern superhero film with their own specific theme. As soon as you hear that electric cello you instantly think of WW.

I liked how they showed the modification of the theme being used in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

[quote="“teagone”" post="“476566769”"]
‘Wonder Woman’ Wraps Up With $411M Domestic, $819M Worldwide box office. Amazing run. I imagine the hype train for the sequel is gonna be huge and push Wonder Woman into the billion dollar box office.
[/quote]Amazing. Does anyone know what the initial projections were? I seem to recall after opening weekend people began to speculate it was going to surprise everyone with its box office take.

I have no idea why the quote turned out that that. Maybe it’s an iOS 11 thing?

• Locked thread