Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't like Gal Gadot's performance as Wonder Woman (she's got the look, though), but I'm hoping this ends up good.

I really don't care for Henry Cavill's Superman and I still enjoyed MoS.

The trailers make Wonder Woman look like a more "traditional" summer blockbuster and I don't know if that is good or bad. Do they have a date for when they lift the review embargo/host a press screening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Embargo lift date is in the OP :negative:

I have failed you Teagone.

You can lead a poster to a good OP, but you cannot make them drink.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Collider rounded up a chunk of spoiler-free twitter reactions. So far, seems like most agree it's the best DCEU film and the one fans have been waiting for.

Critic doesn't realize Snyder has both a story and producing credit on WW. :rip:

To be fair, Stan Lee has both a story and producing credit for every Marvel movie and I doubt he did much of either. They give those credits out like candy.

I'm kind of wary of the fact that the reviews all say the best things about Wonder Women are:

1) It's empowering for women

and

2) It's not "depressing" like the rest of the DCCU.

Weak plot beats, stories, editing, and character arcs were the problems with the other DCCU; not too much depression. And #1 is great and all, but saying that it is the BEST aspect of the movie is kind of a damning with faint praise situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Perusing Twitter more, a lot of critics seem to have really enjoyed the chemistry between Pine and Gadot. Common critique I'm reading is a weak third act, but the build up is solid. And most are praising WW's character.

The VF and THR critics both said that the first third was weak and didn't mention the last act.

I want this to be good, but I feel like some people are taking the wrong lessons from the failure of some of the DCCU movies. I'm not even a huge fan of the DCCU outside of MoS, but when more than half the initial impressions make sure to mention that they "learned to fix the DCCU by not making it depressing this time!" I get a little nervous that they didn't fix the actual issues.

I think the fact that this is a Patty Jenkins flick and they have a new creative team for this one might be the reason everyone says it "feels" different and that could be a good thing. I'm very interested in the full reviews.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I am going to be disappointed if Wonder Woman doesn't fight any of those rolling death wheel things from the old Justice League cartoon episodes where she fights in WWI.

I have never seen the cartoon and now I want someone to post an example of this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Those first 30 seconds were not great, but I really dig everything from the table kick and afterwards.

The rifle smash and the oomph on the table kick were awesome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's PG-13 so they're not even going to get 1/10th of the misery onto the screen. You can expect some wood-lined trenches with dirty guys in them and a curiously corpse-free No Man's Land. I guarantee it.

If they retcon the German army into aliens or robots, then they can show blood.

They could also do one scene with a non-procreative backside nudity or one instance of gently caress that does not describe a sexual act.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Saw it. Spoiler-free random thoughts.

- Better than BvS and Suicide Squad; worse than MoS.

- There are quips ahoy. Some are pretty funny, but some of them are weird Austin Powers jokes "Wow, strong lady make me horny!"

- Chris Pine and the German general are surprisingly good. Gal is pretty meh. Robin Wright is amazing. Everyone else is pretty forgettable.

- There are a couple of really good action scenes, but unfortunately the really good ones repeat themselves over and over. (Deflect bullets with shield, run, throw something, run, deflect bullets, run)

- They literally do a "welp, we've got 15 minutes left. Drop in the CGI final boss from a video game."

- WWI is apparently a terrible war that killed about 20 people.

- Some really well shot scenes.

- Definitely "feels like a Marvel movie" compared to the other DCCU films, but not as well done as the top-tier Marvel stuff.

- Agree with what someone else said; very strong Thor 1 "fish out of water" vibes for the first act.

- The CGI for Wonder Woman jumping or moving long distances vertically never looks good. I don't know why. It really stuck out to me. It looks like a "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" cartoon pasted into real life.

Overall, probably a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Was decent fun. I'd recommend seeing it in theaters, but if you originally weren't really excited it is probably fine to wait for streaming/DVD.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

Well, at least it killed more people than the Alien Invasion of New York, the attempt to turn a European city into an ELT, and a terrorist suicide bombing in a crowded market place, combined.

WWI was a real event. It has a Wikipedia page and everything.

It's just kind of funny because Chris Pine spends the first half of the movie going "You don't know what the real world is like! This is the war to end all wars! The slaughter out there..."

*Every German and British soldier in No-Man's-Land gets shot in the leg/shoulder and crawls back to the trenches*

That's a weirdly defensive post about a movie I'm assuming you haven't seen, my dude.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gyges posted:

Oh, not defending it at all. Just making a joke about the stupid low death counts in these Comic Book movies about wars and conflict and stuff.

You'd think they could at least work in the cliche scene where they have people pouring over a newly posted long list of newly confirmed dead for their friends and loved ones.

Ah, sorry. I thought it was another "lol cars" joke.

They do have people getting hit with gas, but it is very silly. I don't know how to properly describe it, but they get hit with this new poison gas and they do a "TV fall" where the millisecond the gas comes near them a group of 10 people all instantly ragdoll and fall down on top of each other.

The most "brutal" stuff from the war is all guys getting punched or having stuff thrown at them by Wonder Woman. A lot of her battle scenes have really good weight to them.

Also, a disappointing lack of lasso and invisible planes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghosthotel posted:

Yeah so major spoiler about the "walking away from humanity bit", and just the entire ending in general. This is probably my biggest disappointment with the movie.

The movie seems to be building up to a point where Diana realizes that everyone involved in the war is doing bad poo poo and Ares tries to convince her that even though he's the god of war he only ever gave men the inspiration for cruelty and never forced them to engage with it.

This is thrown out the window when Steve Trevor heroically sacrifices himself and Diana realizes that actually mankind is good and evil can be defeated with the power of love. That's explicitly said by Diana like twice during the ending btw I'm not saying it as a joke. So after defeating Ares the war just sorta magically ends and it's completely unclear as to what exactly made her step away from mankind except maybe being heart broken over Steve's death.

I didn't want to mention it because it could possibly be considered a spoiler, but "the power of love was the greatest power of all" was really silly. I didn't even notice she said it twice, though.

I think we are meant to believe that Ares is sort of telling the truth and that there are lots of bad people out there, but there really isn't any reason why she had to "walk away" except that it already happened in BvS.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

Can't remember but, is it said directly in BvS (or I guess here) that WW "walked away from humanity" immediately after WW1? Maybe she stuck around to try to help rebuild then when it was obvious that even without Ares the world still birthed fascism and even more war so she left around/before WW2*?

* christ this is potentially confusing haha

It's made very clear that she walks away at the end of Wonder Woman. Long before WWII.

I think in BvS they just say "the war" caused her to do it, but even there it is almost explicitly meant to be WWI.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

Ah yeah that's true, it's just dumb that she just randomly leaves after seeing heroism in war then.

I mean... the heroism results in her boyfriend dying and he only had to be heroic because men were evil (or kind of evil or maybe neutral and influenced by Ares), so it's not like it was a great experience.

Still doesn't really make sense to give up on humanity because of that, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jimbot posted:

I do find it kind of ironic that they decide to lighten the tone of these things during some of the darkest chapters in modern history. But people love their wars and conflict, so showing them in any kind of challenging of negative way is a big no-no. Would it be reductive to say Wonder Woman walks away from mankind because her boyfriend died? Or is it presented better than that? I can see what they were going for from reading the spoilers, since Superman did a similar thing and perhaps Wonder Woman comes back into the fold at the end of BvS because she's tired of good men sacrificing themselves, or something like that..

I think the message they were going for is:

- Ares started WWI, but bad people exist.
- Diana had no exposure to pure evil before she left the islands.
- She thought Chris Pine was the greatest and representative of all humanity.
- Chris Pine dies because of the badness of evil people (and maybe Ares)
- Her boyfriend died and she has seen evil, so now she is disillusioned with the world and decides not to fight.

It pretty much is "because her boyfriend died." But I think they were trying to use him as a metaphor for "goodness" being killed in WWI.

Honestly, it seemed like they were just trying to find a way to make sure it jived with the end of BvS and wrap everything up so they can time-skip back to the present.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghosthotel posted:

Imagine interacting with that guy in real life.

You know that nobody actually does.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anyone who's seen the movie: how much bondage is there?

She only uses the lasso twice.

And only one of those instances is even remotely horny.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Now that more people have seen it, I want someone to confirm or deny the validity of my complaint.

The CGI when Wonder Woman jumps or moves vertically very fast looks super awkward; like a cartoon edited into live footage. It really stuck out to me, but I saw it by myself and don't have anyone to tell me if I am being weird or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HannibalBarca posted:

how much of an affront to history is it

My WWI is rusty, but I think it is almost entirely historically accurate.

He is the commander of the German forces, is granted magic mustard gas by a super-powered god, hears voices, and was thrown out a window by a woman in a short skirt.

It doesn't go super in-depth, but it is the basic stuff from your high-school history textbook.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You absolutely don't need to see BvS to get Wonder Woman (but there are some references to BvS and she gets a letter from Bruce Wayne).

Anyone saying that you NEED to have seen BvS is wrong.

However, the movie does a really terrible job of the "loss of innocence" and "walking away from the world of man" themes. If the reviewers are talking about that, then they're right.

That whole theme is really really neutered because they were trying to make an ending that jived with BvS and simultaneously wrapped everything up so they could time skip back to the present.

Spoiler:

Turns out that Ares started WWI, so Man was actually not as evil as she thought. But her boyfriend died in an act of heroism and she become too emotional to continue being in that world without him in it.

It's still a pretty good movie, but there are some really weak characterization/plot issues that arise from needing to transition cleanly from Wonder Woman to Justice League.

They also completely waste the setting. I don't really care about the WWI aspect of it, so it didn't really bother me. But if you were hoping for a very realistic or period-heavy (lol) Wonder Woman movie, then you will be disappointed. They could have set the movie during the Vietnam War and had to change almost nothing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RedSpider posted:

There is simply no way this film deserves a 97% RT score. Something is fishy.

RT Score is not a value score.

A movie that 97% of critics gave a C will receive the same RT score as a movie that 97% of critics gave an A+.

WW is definitely not a 97/100 movie, but I can see most people giving it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

(There is also probably some reluctance to trash it given the nature of its spot as the first major female-led Superhero movie of this generation.)

It's not a bad movie, though.

Not a great movie either, but definitely not horrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Are there any reviews up from non comic book fans/wonder woman fans?

Yes. Go check Rotten Tomatoes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Chris Pine the only member of her team to die or does everyone in "the photo" bite it as well? (besides WW of course)

Kind of a spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.

But Pine is the only major character that does it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neo Rasa posted:

Fresh seems about right, not a particular great movie but good and fun to see once.

That is how I would rate it.

I think that it definitely benefits from seeing it in theaters and probably won't be an especially great Blu-Ray watch.

Kind of like Avatar, there are aspects of the sound design and (semi-gratuitous) slow-mo visuals that really work better on the big screen.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

biracial bear for uncut posted:

People that have seen the movie: Are there any actual devices/machines/mythical beasts in the regular army battles that Wonder Woman has to stop that said army dudes can't handle or does she just effortlessly destroy everything up until facing off against Ares?

No.

The closest thing is:

The German general gets a pill that "reverts him to his previous strength" and apparently he was a super-soldier as a young man? It is not really clearly explained why he is insanely strong or why they didn't just say that it would give him super strength.

They also have magic mustard gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

Seeing this on Tuesday next week. I wanna read all the spoiled stuff so baaad.

The spoiler-free summary of all those posts is: The third act is bad. The first is okay. The second is fantastic. BvS kinda screwed up the ability to have a sensible ending that stands on its own. WW punch scenes are good. WW sword fights are bad. Gal Gadot acts much better in WW than in BvS. Chris Pine acts good.

Now avoid any other spoilers.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2017

• Locked thread