Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Likely, since Amazons are well known for their stature. Which is why I like that Gadot's costume puts her in I think 3" or 4" wedges so she's just as tall, if not taller than Cavill's Superman.

I remember reading a thing that every character in BvS is either taller than Cavill or made to look so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kelly posted:

Gal is also very slender which elogates her entire look. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are far broader which has the opposite effect.

Regarding Charlize Theron, she is loving badass. I saw a featurette about her doing stunts on Atomic Blond, and there are entire sequences of her with no cuts just wrecking dudes. She's incredibly athletic - I'd love to see her on the sequel.

Yeah, Affleck is built like a tank, which belies how tall he is. To see a really exagerrated version of the same effect, look at former UFC fighter Shane Carwin, who stands about 6'2. Yet, due to how much muscle he's carrying, he has the proportions of a man of 5'9

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

I agree with everything James Cameron said about WW, and I usually think he's just an arrogant rear end in a top hat.

Also, this tweet speaks volumes about Patty Jenkins' insecurity:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062

Just :lol:

You judging somoene's public defence of their film against a public criticism as insecurity also speaks volumes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Oh boohoo. She's trying to build publicity off of Cameron's name, you twat. It's the worst form of virtue signaling. And Sarah Connor — in both Terminator films — was a much better female character in every aspect.

She's trying to build publicity by responding to the public criticism that another public figure made?

Virtue Signaling is a stupid term in pretty much all contexts, but I don't think that's even what it means when used by people who think it means something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Yes. She would have never responded like that to somebody other than a household name like James Cameron for publicity reasons. Sure you know that controversy sells, dummy.

Someone else's criticism, someone of lesser stature, wouldn't have gained as much publicity as Cameron's in the first place, and thus wouldn't have necessitated a response.

Do you think it's just possible that the director of a film might want to actually defend her work against a criticism she felt was unfair? Or does your own lack of sincerity prevent you from seeing that as a possibility?

RedSpider posted:

This is already trending on twitter. There's plenty of verified accounts virtue signaling themselves by trashing Cameron over an honest assessment of an incredibly cliched film.

Or people just like the film and disagree with Cameron.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think Cameron's motives were for publicly criticising the film?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

No, I think she's trying to improve her stature in Hollywood (virtue signaling) by publicly going after somebody like Cameron — who's a better filmmaker — with claims of sexism. She even mentioned her other film Monster Ball FFS.

She didn't actually claim he was sexist. She said he had an understanding of female characters limited by his gender. Briefly examining his films, she may be onto something, or may not be, that could be an actual discussion if you were capable of thinking anyone was sincere.

She also didn't 'go after him' she responded after he publicly criticised her film. What do you think his motives were? I doubt you think it was something so base as publicity. Because, if you want to speak disparagingly of James Cameron, just for arguments sake, he's the one who hasn't released a movie in 8 years and, just to speculate, might be missing relevance a little.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Since when can't men criticize female characters, you dumb twat? Especially someone like Cameron, who's written plenty of stronger female characters than WW?

She didn't say he couldn't, she said his view was limited.

Also, writing good female characters (albeit nearly 30 years ago) doesn't insulate you from criticism or suggest that your view on the subject is beyond reproach.

You still haven't told me what you think his motivation was, despite being very confident about hers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Cameron correctly stated how WW sexually objectifies women. It's a regressive film. Maybe he was merely suggesting that future female 'superheroes' should be more than surface-level eye candy in the future? (like Sarah Connor)

That's what he said, not why he said it. He also didn't state how it objectified women, merely that it did. He also plugged his own characters and work, and a fair bit more forcefully than Jenkins plugged her film Monster. If anyone in the situation comes across as insecure, it's Cameron.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 25, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I personally get all my feminist theory from old, wealthy white men.

Only if they wrote good female characters thirty years ago (which sort of understates how much Linda Hamilton owns the gently caress out of that role) and then disappeared under the ocean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McSpanky posted:

They're not though, one's being inclusive and one's being regressive. Jenkins' perspective is that there's more than one type of strong woman, overcoming loss and pain to find personal strength is fine but women characters should be able to be more than that and Cameron nigh-literally went "NUH-UH THAT'S DUMB".

While congratulating himself on Sarah Connor. Which is sort of problematic in its own right, considering how much Hamilton herself brought to that role.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's sort of interesting to hear a bunch of people denigrating the importance of fictional role models, people who are overwhelmingly white men, and thus cannot even imagine not having a shitload of role models.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The complaints are about what a shallow role model WW is, or at least how shallow and evasive the discussion about her is. Is she actually that great a leap from Hunger Games protagonist? Should we even have a female counterpart to Tony Stark, one of the worst used characters in the history of popular culture?

Every popular role model is terrible. Whether they're a comedian/philandering coke addict, an athelete/wife beating degenerate gambler, or a fictional character who never quite makes a point as well as they should.

It's not that Wonder Woman is better than the Hunger Games, but a genuinely powerful lady superhero has never actually been this popular before, and is, if nothing else, a nice novelty. It's such a common place thing for a male superhero that you, an adult, have probably forgotten which part of your identity is based on aspiring to that idea as a child.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So you're promoting a Ivan Karamazov - esque stance that popular role models bad and corrupt, but we must deceive children into believing ideals that we don't.

No. Turns out you're as bad at reading posts as you are at reading movies

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

....... and two and a half months later:

It made $1.9 million on its 14th weekend. The Avengers and The Dark Knight only made $400,000 on the same weekend and The Force Awakens didn't even make $1m on its 14th weekend. Holy gently caress this thing has legs.

A perfect example of 'right place, right time'

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Aquaman in JL

My god Jason Momoa is beautiful. It's unfair that he didn't get to be in a better Conan movie, because, in terms of casting, he's pretty much perfect.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

'Wonder Woman' Wraps Up With $411M Domestic, $819M Worldwide box office. Amazing run. I imagine the hype train for the sequel is gonna be huge and push Wonder Woman into the billion dollar box office.

That is pretty amazing. It ended up well ahead of either of the Marvel releases of the year. It probably helps that both of them were sort of functional/redundant.

• Locked thread