Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I wonder if she's ever going to actually hit anyone with her sword or if she's going to do the Masters of the Universe 1987 thing where she swings it around in every battle but never draws blood, because that poo poo is ridiculous.

I guess the massive reaction to Batman killing people in BvS gave them second thoughts but they'd already established that she carries a sword so they were stuck with it. And maybe she slices and dices her way through a whole bunch of dudes but they just held off on showing that in the trailers.

I guess we'll find out either way on the 31st!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLlwgBuKymo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Superman killed Zod in Man of Steel with the appropriate emotional impact that the regretfully necessary act of justified homicide in the defense of others should have on a morally centered person and was called a monster. People asked why he couldn't be more like the happy and reassuring 70s version, who threw his harmless captives into antiseptic pits never to be seen again with the triumphant cheer of the underdog getting his revenge at the end of a teen comedy?

People were expecting escapism (which was an entirely valid expectation given how the character was depicted over the previous 75 years) and MoS steadfastly refused to supply it, and in fact rubbed it in the audience's faces how terrifying and brutal and traumatic it would be if super villains and super heroes actually existed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Does Wonder Woman have post credit ending scenes?

I just googled it and apparently not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darth Brooks posted:

It would help if he is put in a similar situation again and goes "No, I've learned from my mistakes. Here's a solution" and it needs to be something that neither the audience or the villain expected.

It'll probably be his fight with Darkseid in the climactic scene of Justice League 2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

'Wonder Woman' set to conquer the box office — and may break the superhero movie mold

Just days before its debut, "Wonder Woman" is gathering momentum, suggesting it could exceed expectations at the box office — and finally put to rest what analysts say is a tired notion: That audiences are reluctant to see female superheroes on the big screen.

"Wonder Woman" is the most anticipated film of the summer, beating out titles such as "Spider-Man: Homecoming" and the latest "Pirates of the Caribbean" installment, an annual survey from ticket-seller Fandango showed this week. Meanwhile, "Wonder Woman" is also one of the most talked-about movies on social media.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/wonder-woman-set-to-break-the-superhero-movie-mold.html

One of their data points is that WW has generated a huge number of 'new conversations' on social media. Nearly as many as Baywatch! ...... um ......

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

They have statistics for negative tweets? How is this a reference for anything?

Yeah the entire box office projections industry sounds like someone invented a job title and is trying extra super hard to justify their pay cheque. "Look at all the statistics we've collected!!" But then again the pointless job justification industry has been a massive part of Hollywood for many many decades.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenzarin posted:

Please don't ignore Halle Berry.

BrianWilly is saying that WW is the first female superhero

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SleepCousinDeath posted:

How could you forget FANTOMAH

It's literally impossible for me to forget Fantomah, even if I get amnesia

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just kidding that's not my tattoo :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, I just got back from seeing the film earlier and lots of people seem to have gotten a mixed message about the villain was doing and the effect it had on the war.
Ares didn't cause WW1 or impel the humans to keep fighting - he only gave them the ideas for the weapons, it was their choice how they used them. His goal was to prove that Zeus' creations were flawed so he sped up their weapons tech research to allow them to gently caress themselves over quicker and more efficiently. He did have some direct influence but as far as we know that was confined to pushing the armistice, the goal there being to stretch things out with a tenuous peace which could end at any minute rather than have the war end too quickly and decisively.

The film also specifically explains why it had to be set during WW1
The Amazons have a prophecy about Ares returning during the war to end all wars. The sudden change in the way battles were fought was also supposed to be a sign that Ares was back in the game, it was a major factor in Diana deciding to leave Themyscira. The film doesn't explain WW2 or mention it at all.

The part where Diana "leaves the world of man" also happened somewhat differently than what we were expecting but that involves spoilers on the end of the film so maybe we should hold off on that discussion for a week

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

So the movie handles itself pretty well? It sounds like your view is contradicted by others, though, regarding the war stuff.

All this earlier talk had me kinda down on seeing it. I really enjoyed the soul searching of the first two films, but I'm down for new themes in a new movie if it's done well.

The ending doesn't quite stick the landing but the first act is solid and the middle act has lots of fun character moments. If you're a Wonder Woman fan then all the stuff on Themyscira is about the best you could expect in a WW origin movie, from what I hear on social media the WW fans are over the moon.

As far as the soul searching goes in comparison to the other films, it's pretty much the inversion of Superman's arc in MoS and the flipside of Batman's arc in BvS where she starts out super positive and certain of her role and what she needs to do and that slowly gets that stripped away until she's not sure of anything. It gets resolved in the final confrontation but that felt rushed and overcooked to me.

Ghosthotel posted:

The movie directly contradicts this though.

When Diana thinks she's killed Ares she's confused as to why the fighting keeps going and then when she actually kills him it straight up stops altogether. The movie definitely sets up the first part of your post and I wish that's where it had actually gone but then we got soldiers smiling at each other like old friends moments after Ares died.

Yeah but Diana is still operating under false information at the point where she kills the other guy and expects everything to stop, she doesn't understand what Ares was actually doing and she thinks that men are all good at heart. Also at the end of the battle when Ares has been killed all the remaining humans have survived a battle between two massively powerful supernatural forces that had been tearing up the earth and throwing lightning bolts at each other with explosions happening all around them and their buddies being torn apart before their eyes, they're just really fuckin' happy to be alive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghosthotel posted:

She's still ultimately proven right though.

She acknowledges a darkness exists in men's hearts but that the power of ~love~ is much stronger. It was only through Ares influence that the darkness took over in men's hearts so at the end of the day he's still responsible for everything. They don't show him starting the war but it's not much of a reach to assume he's responsible when you find out he's playing the sides against each other in his goal to wipe out humanity. It's basically applying "a wizard did it." to the whole war and it's pretty lame.

Actually that is a reach, he outright says he didn't do that. And they even had the lasso of truth on him during most of that discussion to underline the fact that he wasn't just making poo poo up.

Edit: but the ending was still pretty vague and felt like it had been written by committee which was the main reason I felt it let down the rest of the movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

I do agree that the themes get a wee bit muddled when we're forced to pair this up with BvS. I think what Jenkins is trying to go for here is a sense that, yes, Diana did say she walked away from mankind in that film...but that's only a fraction of the story. She can have walked away, but still be fighting. She can have given up on people, but still believe in them. This final act tries its utmost to make it so that it's not an either-or situation, that these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. It almost gets there, with the whole "there is light and darkness and I accept both" compromise. But I think the themes just get that little bit too confused and unclear at the end so that it's not exactly a wholly satisfying conclusion either way.

Which is a pity, but ultimately not a very big deal to me; the rest of the film hits so many highs and gets so many rights that I can hardly be arsed about how the final ten minutes line up to a less good film. That's not necessarily a dig at BvS either, that's just how shared universes are gonna work no matter what, and DC is finally throwing its A-game into the pit.

Yeah it's really starting to feel like WW's line in BvS is going to get the "Darth Vader killed your father" treatment where it was only really true in one very specific sense.

Also she does say at the end of the film that she decided not to return to Themyscira.

BrianWilly posted:

Which reminds me that I don't understand people saying WW doesn't kill anyone, 'cuz yeah those two dudes are super dead.

Also at the very end when she goes all Super Saiyan during the fight with Ares she absolutely destroys a platoon of German dudes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

farraday posted:

Too much of it feat like it was written for an earlier script about WW2 and then pushed backwards onto WW1 when someone said it made it too much like Captain America.

Well it's a good thing that a handsome army captain didn't make a poorly heard farewell to the love of his life and then sacrifice himself ensuring that a huge metal airplane filled with a dangerous new superweapon was destroyed, thus stopping the evil Germans from wiping a major city off the map and altering the course of the war because that would certainly draw comparisons to Captain America!!

PS: we didn't see Cpt. Steve Trevor die so he'll no doubt return at some point, probably after being put through stasis for a while :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron Porkface posted:

Captain America didn't suggest that all war was solved forever

Neither did Wonder Woman

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrJacobs posted:

No, she totally did. The film might not have, but that was her total motivation for most of the film.

Yeah and we find out at the end the Amazons were lying to her about her origin and Ares' actions/intentions and that humans are a warlike species regardless of whatever she does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

farraday posted:

Another problem for me was the pointlessness of the super gas. Why does it matter if it can break gas masks if you're only planning on using it on civilian populaces? Also they already had gasses in WW1 that a gas mask wouldn't save you from.

Yeah that was another part of the movie that had a "written by committee" feel where it seemed that the script went through several rewrites and they'd either already done the pre-prod on the effects or they fell in love with certain scenes and visuals and didn't want to lose them even though they didn't really fit any more. First they establish that the super gas can break down gas masks, then they establish that it can be delivered via artillery, then they reveal that the big plan was to drop gas bomblets over London from a plane anyway. The actual point of those series of revelations was to act as heightened motivation for the characters and ramp up the tension towards the end to the point where Steve had to sacrifice himself to stop it all but they don't make a lot of sense in retrospect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hollismason posted:

It was to show how strong the gas was , it was shown that it would crack glass. Also, Gas Masks were in fact handed out to the civilian population and there were gas mask stations around London, and other major cities

Yeah I guess it was pretty hard to show the development of the gas any other way that wasn't either incredibly dull (ie: actual lab work) or incredibly disturbing (ie: successful experiments on prisoners) so they came up with that compromise. They did show an earlier experiment on a prisoner which failed but that was still pretty horrible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I was with this movie until the end. Why is Ares a British grandpa? Why did he have a moustache the whole time? The whole theater laughed at Freddy Mercury Ares, and the whole final showdown suffered for it.

Because the real enemy is the Patriarchy :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was pretty vague, probably intentionally. Dr Maru was lying on the ground in front of Diana, they talk, Diana throws the tank down sort of in front of her but to the side but they don't show where it landed, Dr Maru is never seen again in the film. Unless I missed something to show that she lived???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

Uh...it's not vague. Maru clearly got away and survived

Yeah that's not shown at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

I just saw the film again about two hours ago and Maru gets up and runs offscreen as soon as Diana has her moment of Zen. She's alive. Diana didn't throw a loving tank on her ffs.

Weird, I was particularly trying to pay attention to what happened to her and I don't remember that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They've only got the Friday domestic box office estimates listed so far but Wonder Woman is already beating Baywatch and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and is just a smidgen behind Ghost In The Shell :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BobKnob posted:

Does it turn the German soldiers into faceless, evil, proto-Nazis that one cannot be sympathetic to?

In the final fight they're mostly wearing gas masks and get mowed down by WW pretty relentlessly but once the fight is over the survivors take their masks off and we see that they're scared young men barely out of their teens so they're instantly re-humanized

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Have you ever met someone who is sheltered and homeschooled? How weird and patchy their knowledge seems? She read the 12 books about loving but if the book about watches got dropped in the ocean accidently she just wouldn't know what a watch is.

Corrosion posted:

But I wasn't referencing a watch, I was referencing the fact that she asked about the concept of "time" in relation to "the watch." I actually think that in the third act of the film and parts of the first act, Diana's ignorance to the world is as you describe and even sort of endearing given the opening scene and Diana's admission about her past self.

Like, that line about "Where I come from, we call that slavery" sounds really dumb in the trailer, but in the context of the film it's actually quite insightful. Etta says as the audio drowns into the crowd that "I actually get paid rather well though." Or makes a reference to pay. I think Diana's naivete when it is conveyed clearly and effectively is what you're asking me, but we're not talking about a watch here, we're talking about an island of women that knows biology but the concept of "Time", its passage, the notion of it, somehow that isn't there. Sure this is a gripe about motivation/naturalization, but Diana knows hundreds of languages, many of which my linguist friend pointed out were modern. That would mean there's a swiss cheese of knowledge going on. Sometimes I think that works, sometimes it makes the Themyscarians convey something not just antiquated about gods, but something about the intelligence of their culture.

Diana being sheltered works for me in some areas of the film and not in others. The third act was quite good at making this, in general, convey quite strongly. I think referencing Milton, even though that goes over some people's heads, was a good choice.

Yeah I agree on the swiss cheese thing. Using a device to keep track of time throughout the day and being told where to go and what to do by superiors/employees have been part of most civilizations for tens of thousands of years, it's genuinely odd that these concepts were somehow foreign to Diana. Especially since she lives in a martial society which is also a dynastic monarchy where pretty much everyone she'd ever known would have been giving orders or taking orders. The ancient Greeks were also pretty good at keeping time and had several different types of timepieces including water clocks and even alarm clocks, it isn't a modern concept by any stretch.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I absolutely don't think you were meant to take her not knowing about "time" to mean some beep boop literal thing where she literally didn't know what time is. Go read about like when railroads came with railway clocks in like 1850. It's an unthinkable thing today but people had protests at the idea. People got religious about it, claiming it was against god. That there was a century you just set your clock as solar noon and everywhere had slightly different times and it was a helpful guide, not some standard everyone lived by. People got initially really freaked out at the idea of time keeping being a real thing people kept to instead of just a loose helpful estimate. Like it was a huge change to society when work started at 7:15 instead of "A bit past dawn". For a long time time was just "there is around 5 hours till sundown" not "it is 2:15 and 42 seconds".

What are you even talking about, that's not what the railway time protests were about. People were very familiar with the concept of keeping accurate time at that point, the people in the other cities were just pissed off about being made to change their local clocks to match the time as it was in London.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 5, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Toady posted:

I've only seen the film once during a particularly poor theater experience, so I can't yet discuss the film as clearly as I'd like to, but I remember her being amazed not at the concept of timekeeping but at the notion of Steve carrying around a little device to tell him when to do things.

She thought he was a sucker for letting a little device tell him when he should be doing something

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fun fact: the first three days of Wonder Woman's domestic box office is more than the entire domestic totals of Catwoman, Elektra, Supergirl, Sheena, Tank Girl and Barb Wire combined.

parcs posted:

it is a really average and formulaic super hero film

Did you honestly expect them to do anything risky or out-of-the-box with this film?

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 7, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

I dunno. I don't have clear answers for any of this. I absolutely think WW is a sort of a unique film with a one-of-a-kind storyline, but I do wonder how much of that unique film is still made up of elements we've seen in a whole lot of other places.

Don't forget that large chunks of the movie are retelling stories that were first published 76 years ago and have been retold and borrowed from and referenced countless times since then. It would be pretty much impossible to do a Wonder Woman origin story without going over a bunch of stuff that you'd seen in a whole lot of other places.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the likelihood of WW beating MOS's domestic haul (291 million) is growing. Worldwide (668 million) is a little more iffy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/08/box-office-wonder-woman-soaring-past-300-million-worldwide/#5267e29db6d3

Yeah it obviously had a smaller domestic opening weekend than the other DCEU films but then it beat them all on the following Tues/Wed/Thurs (WW: $32.8m, MoS: $27.5m, BvS: $28m, SS: $32.3m). MoS and BvS had a really sharp fall off and SS only did slightly better but it looks like Wonder Woman is going to have much better legs. We won't really be able to make any predictions on how it will track over the rest of its run until after the 2nd and maybe 3rd weekends but I've got a sneaking suspicion it might even give BvS a run for its money on the domestic front.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mars4523 posted:

Then smashcut to victory day in London.

The armistice was already going to happen, Ludendorff and Maru were trying to kickstart the hostilities again and Ares was trying to stop Diana from interfering. The war didn't end because Diana killed Ares, it was already over.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also: Chris Pine has a multiple movie deal. Use god trickery to bring him back to life in modern times so he can be the fish out of water that Diana slowly teaches about the world :allears:

Apparently in the comics he came back from the dead multiple times. One time they pulled a Rick-And-Morty maneuver and just brought in a double from an alternate universe where he'd survived.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the likelihood of WW beating MOS's domestic haul (291 million) is growing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We won't really be able to make any predictions on how it will track over the rest of its run until after the 2nd and maybe 3rd weekends but I've got a sneaking suspicion it might even give BvS a run for its money on the domestic front.

The estimated numbers for WW's 2nd weekend just came out:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=dc.htm

Last Sunday it was $25 million behind Man Of Steel but at the end of this second weekend it's closed the gap to a mere $5m. It'll definitely overtake MoS soon (probably before next weekend), will overtake SS soon after that and then it's only a matter of time before it catches up to BvS. The only question now is how much it's going to beat BvS.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

Second weekend box office I think was what was being measured, where MoS had a 65% drop http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=superman2012.htm

[edit] I guess all DCEU films had drops in the 60s, not sure where I read 50s.

[edit] Oh wait, it was the Deadline article saying it's typical for an MCU movie to drop to 50% in its second weekend. This article: http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-whipping-tom-cruise-mummy-weekend-box-office-1202111169/

Yeah word of mouth and so-so reviews really killed the buzz on MoS and BvS, they had HUGE openings but then the audience went "Nah" and after about a month their ticket sales had pretty much dried up completely. Marvel films like Guardians of the Galaxy had a much softer opening but audiences kept turning up so the box office just kept chugging along and it caught up to BvS at about the 3 month mark:

If you graph out a film's box office over time it usually forms a nice gradual curve but BvS and MoS both look like a goddamned boomerang.

(Note that 2nd week drop stats don't mean a lot out of context. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 had a 72% second week drop but still made $1.3 billion worldwide. The Jack Black comedy Gulliver's Travels actually had a 47% second week increase but still bombed horribly and was a large factor in Black's acting career stalling.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm not sure. I kind of like the realization that the faceless mooks were young dudes.

It's certainly way better than the usual comicbook ending where the faceless mooks are sucked back through a wormhole, or the mothership explodes so they just stop attacking and fall down, or the hero just steps over their corpses and keeps walking.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

I just remembered that one rumor from way back that Amazons were descended from Kryptonians. Haha, good times.

Yeah, based around that empty stasis pod in the Kryptonian ship Clark found under the ice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wandle Cax posted:

It's just not her area of expertise. She's there for the story, the characters the overall tone and vision of the film etc.

Here's some photos of Patty Jenkins directing some of the key action scenes from the movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

And yeah she was probably there to film the big character moments and not so much the stunt work and big action beats. You need the director there for a death of a main character, not so much for a guy getting kicked out of the window. (Although that'd be fun as hell to film)

Here's some behind the scene footage of Patty Jenkins filming the greenscreen wire stunt work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNs85I75p7A&t=489s

I think it's the scene where Diana takes out the sniper in the church tower but I'm not 100% certain.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah i'm sure she had an input but I mean she literally would not have staged choreographed and directed the action scenes

Wandle Cax posted:

this $200 whatever million film!

I posted behind-the-scenes footage of her directing some of the action scenes and the production budget was $149 million, you're making a lot of dumb assumptions and getting really worked up about this film for some weird reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about Gal Gadot's boobs. Aside from being a pretty creepy thing to say, she's not particularly flat-chested. Unless you're comparing her to how, like, Frank Cho draws Wonder Woman, but his style is almost entirely cheesecake.

Gadot has ended up talking about her boobs on so many of the pressers she's been doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8pQMJrcNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUSzq_EA1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ziZIC6uwA

Boob trolls :haw:

• Locked thread