Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY&hd=1
► COMIC-CON TRAILER | ► ORIGIN TRAILER | ► FINAL TRAILER

After decades of not having her own feature film while both Batman and Superman have seen their fair share, DC Comics' Wonder Woman is finally set to make her first-ever solo appearance on the big screen next month. Wonder Woman marks the fourth entry into the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) series of films, sharing its continuity with the likes of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad. In this live-action adaptation of William Moulton Marston's epic heroine, audiences will see the origin story of The Amazon Princess unfold for the first time. Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of Themyscira, trained warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when a fighter pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive war raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home convinced she can end the conflict. Fighting alongside man in the war to end all wars, Diana will discover her full powers and her true destiny.

Directed by Patty Jenkins (Monster), with the story by Zack Snyder, Jason Fuchs, and Allan Heinberg, the film stars:

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince
https://zippy.gfycat.com/BriefOblongArcticfox.webm
Chris Pine as Steve Trevor
https://zippy.gfycat.com/FlimsyHomelyHorse.webm
Connie Nielsen as Queen Hippolyta
https://zippy.gfycat.com/PeskyFearlessAfricanmolesnake.webm
Robin Wright as General Antiope
https://zippy.gfycat.com/HarshAngryDotterel.webm
Danny Huston as General Erich Ludendorff
https://zippy.gfycat.com/IllfatedTintedCats.webm
WONDER WOMAN HITS THEATERS WORLDWIDE IN JUNE

The review embargo for Wonder Woman doesn't lift until May 31st 29th, but general reactions I've read online seem fairly positive. The trailers have all looked great, and I've been onboard the "Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman" hype train since she was cast. But while I am looking forward to the film, I'm also keeping my expectations in check. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst and whatnot. Considering all the alleged shenanigans that went on behind the scenes at WB with Suicide Squad in the aftermath of Batman v Superman's critical response, it's hard not to think that studio execs might have meddled too much with this movie as well. I really, really hope I'm wrong though. If there's one critical darling to come out of the DCEU that's both a box office success and a universal hit among moviegoers, I'd love for it to be Wonder Woman. It'd sure as hell be fitting.

As an aside, if you want to get your feet wet in Wonder Woman lore before you go see the movie, I recommend reading Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals by George Perez, or watching the 2009 animated film that's loosely based off Gods and Mortals, which just got a "commemorative" re-release on blu-ray/digital this month. Either or, both are really good! :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

And that's a great looking OP, teagone.

Thanks! Figured I'd give it a little "oomph" since I haven't made one in a while, and also because it's Wonder Woman :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Probably a newspaper publication headline like "She's a wonder!" or maybe "She's the 8th wonder of the world! Wonder Woman!" after word gets out how she stormed no man's land into the fury of bullets and mortar fire without getting hurt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't like Gal Gadot's performance as Wonder Woman (she's got the look, though), but I'm hoping this ends up good.

I really don't care for Henry Cavill's Superman and I still enjoyed MoS.

The trailers make Wonder Woman look like a more "traditional" summer blockbuster and I don't know if that is good or bad. Do they have a date for when they lift the review embargo/host a press screening?

Gatts posted:

I think May 31st is when it lifts

Embargo lift date is in the OP :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Collider rounded up a chunk of spoiler-free twitter reactions from movie bloggers/critics. So far, seems like they all agree it's the best DCEU film and the one fans have been waiting for.

http://collider.com/wonder-woman-reviews/

[edit] Don't mind Anna Klassen though.

Critic doesn't realize Snyder has both a story and producing credit on WW. :rip:

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, Stan Lee has both a story and producing credit for every Marvel movie and I doubt he did much of either. They give those credits out like candy.

I'm kind of wary of the fact that the reviews all say the best things about Wonder Women are:

1) It's empowering for women

and

2) It's not "depressing" like the rest of the DCCU.

Weak plot beats, stories, editing, and character arcs were the problems with the other DCCU; not too much depression. And #1 is great and all, but saying that it is the BEST aspect of the movie is kind of a backhanded compliment.

Perusing Twitter more, a lot of critics seem to have really enjoyed the chemistry between Pine and Gadot. Common critique I'm reading is a weak third act, but the build up is solid. And most are praising WW's character.

[edit] Also, tbh I'd think Zack Snyder would be more involved with the production of a movie than Stan Lee would. Extending a producing/story credit to Lee on MCU films seems more like a courtesy really.

[edit 2] More twitter reactions, still spoiler free http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-re...dium=socialflow

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm fully aware that this is going to make me sound like a whiny rear end in a top hat, but I'mr really not looking forward to re-litigating the "how terrible is BvS" issue once Wonder Woman comes out and is much more everyone's bag.

Like it's going to take all of my willpower not to respond to everyone on the internet saying "finally, a good DCEU movie" with "i'm sorry you have bad taste".

I'm trying so hard not to respond to Alisha Grauso on twitter (editor-at-large for Moviepilot, a site I sometimes write clickbait articles on for kicks) because she claims the worst parts of Wonder Woman had Zack Snyder's fingerprints all over them. I suppose she had her Snyder detector on at maximum to know exactly when and at which point in the movie that was influenced by Zack Snyder himself. I'm guessing it was all the slow motion bits.

Someone did call her out on that in another tweet, and then she went into full defensive mode bringing gender into the issue... :munch: Can't wait till the embargo on full reviews lifts.

[edit] Can't stop reading twitter. All the positive reactions are encouraging, and I'm struggling to hold firm on keeping my expectations in check. But if the full reviews are all glowing, then poo poo, Ima go full loving fanboy.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

50 second action clip. :stare:
https://twitter.com/timgonzales/status/865739833695666176

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

Its good but not holy poo poo good but quite good.

I got my start reading comics with Wonder Woman. Seeing her come to life on screen like that is definitely "holy poo poo good" for me. I gotta calm down though and not watch anything else and maybe read one or two reviews when the full embargo lifts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This is awesome. I've been saying for a while now I'd love a Wonder Woman action RPG game in the style of the God of War series. You can even use Kratos' chain mechanics for WW's lasso. Someone (Rocksteady Studios) make it please!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

God of War is not an rpg.

I more so meant a Wonder Woman game that's like Bloodborne/Dark Souls, but styled like God of War with similar combat mechanics.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Either or, I just want a Wonder Woman game where I can lasso fools and throw them through buildings. Bonus points if I can equip different armor, swords, and other weapons.

[edit]

Some history nerd pointed out that tank is a WW2-era allied Soviet tank, hehe. Still a great poster. If I had to hang one up in my office though, it'd be the one with her glowing lasso.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This is part of a triptych that I really want hanging on my home theater wall now.

https://twitter.com/IMAX/status/867033135455797249

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe in the movie Diana favors her aunt's more aggressive/headstrong attitude more than her mother's passive/reserved nature, and looks to her for guidance instead? Maybe Antiope is the one who convinces Diana to sneak out at night, take the lasso, shield, sword, armor, and head into the world of man.

[edit] I agree though, would have been cool if all three were facing forward. But I still like the set all the same.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

New review embargo lift date
https://twitter.com/rejects/status/867405966291161089

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yes please, anyone who has gone to a screening recently, please post your review/thoughts with spoiler tags on :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Can't help but laugh at guys who are legit upset about the women-only WW screenings. Idiots. Someone also compared it to the Holocaust unironically on twitter. Cross-posting that tweet from BSS movie thread.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Starius/status/868000722364878848

It's actually two screenings so it's twice as bad as the Holocaust.
:lol:

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 27, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reminder that the review embargo lifts tonight. I'll read maybe one or two.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

30min until reviews start pouring in. Brace yourselves!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

18 fresh, 1 rotten so far at 96% https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Isn't rotten tomatoes owned by WB?

Yes. RT works as a review aggregator though, so, yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roth posted:

Really happy to see the positive buzz continue. I was worried it would be like BvS where the early comments were all positive, and then the reviews came out and were overwhelmingly negative.

From what I remember, unlike WW's wholly positive social media reaction, early buzz for BvS that was positive came mostly from fans and not critics or movie blogs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

All these positive reviews! My hopes and dreams are coming true :unsmith: Can't wait to see this next week.

[edit]

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 30, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman's poster game has been real solid. So many great ones.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seeing this on Tuesday next week. I wanna read all the spoiled stuff so baaad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The wait was unbearable, but I finally was able to see this. Initial impression out the theater is yeah, this is a great movie. I'm biased though, but whatever. It's everything I wanted and hoped for. Gal Gadot is such a perfect Wonder Woman. She is Wonder Woman for me :allears: I loved everything about her performance, and her/the story's take on the character. As a fan, I couldn't be happier. And Diana storming No Man's Land has now supplanted the scene in Spider-Man 2 where Peter saves the train as my absolute favorite superhero movie setpiece.

And drat, Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright gave off such a fierce vibe whenever they were on screen for me, especially Wright as Antiope. Just like the way the carried themselves put me in awe; they both were so badass, haha. Chris Pine was solid, as was the trio of multicultural misfits. They were a lot of fun. Every joke and bit of humor landed for me, and seemed like it did for everyone else in the theater too. Lots of laughs. I wish there were more fun interactions between Diana and Etta though. Loved the inclusion of sensuality throughout the film too; was really happy to see the film didn't shy away from romance just because it's a superhero comic book movie. As for the story, all I can do is echo the sentiment that the first and second acts are really, really good. Everything on Themyscira, and Diana's initial foray into the world of men, was pitch perfect and hit all the notes just right. I totally get how the third act of the film falters a bit for some — just a bit for me mostly with the Sir Patrick is Ares reveal that I saw coming, but the buildup couldn't have been any better imo. It was fantastic. The payoff in the end, even with the hokey Ares stuff, was still better than any third act I've seen in a superhero movie recently, mostly because of how convincingly Gal Gadot was able to emote pain, loss, exertion of strength, etc., and also because of how gorgeous the visuals were. This is a really good looking film, where some of the greatest and most beautifully composed shots were during the climax and ending. Can't wait to see it again.

Wonder Woman is easily the best DCEU film, no doubt. It completely overthrows Man of Steel to take the top spot for me. But, since I am biased, this is legit my favorite superhero movie now, hands down. Big ups to Patty Jenkins and her crew for making such an awesome movie. Knocked it out of the park. Hopefully Justice League follows suit :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

Maybe when she said she left the world of Man for 100 years she just meant she didn't fall in love with anyone else for that long, until she met Bruce about 100 years later.. :heysexy:

Bruce totally earned some brownie points with Diana points for finding the original photograph of her, Steve, and the trio of awesome. Dude putting those detective skills to proper use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Native American dude and the German soldier hugging it out at the end came off more like them non-verbally acknowledging that the situation they were both in earlier was hosed and they're grateful to be alive. What more can you do in that kind of scenario than open your arms to another human being.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Toady posted:

Her arm is visibly bleeding after the fight on the beach.

Right. DCEU Diana is not impervious to bullets like the way Superman is, which is why she uses her shield and gauntlets. The film implied she heals fast though. Amazons are like Tolkien Elves in that regard; they possess immortality, can survive injuries that would probably kill a normal human, but they can also be slain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

The impression I got was that Diana is the only superhuman owing to her being part god and all the other Amazons were "peak human" mortals?

We see Diana get a flesh wound from gunfire, so we know she can be injured. But yeah, she's the only Amazon in the DCEU who has superhuman strength, pseudo-flight/superjumps, and can harness lightning/energy because she's the daughter of Zeus. Though like other Amazons, she can be killed.

[edit] spoilered that just in case I guess?

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RIP, post is not edit. Don't mind this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Why doesn't anyone just shoot Batman in the mouth?

Or the eyes. Like in Iron Man 1, why didn't someone who was in point blank range in the cave just put the barrel of their gun inside of the proto-Iron Man helmet's eye hole? :razz:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

There was some panel from the comics where Batman is like - I make this symbol yellow and bright so the bad guys aim here.

Same thing for Cap's shield painted like a target. Wonder Woman's shield kinda functions the same; a bright and shiny object to direct attention toward. If you wanna get nerdy, she's fast enough to maneuver her shield to wherever the German soldiers were aiming anyways. And she was clad in Amazon armor so yeah. The No Man's Land scene owns because it's pinnacle superhero courage and defiance on display. She becomes a paragon fighting for those who can't in that moment, and inspires others to do the same.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

She is immune to bullets, Ares says this. Only a god can kill a god. Bullets arn't gods.

She's a demigod. The half god part is why she has the power to slay a god. But she's also part Amazon and clearly can be wounded. If she were immune to bullets like Superman, she wouldn't bother with the shield or gauntlets.

Looper posted:

Lots of the cinematography was shockingly ugly

Whole film looked great to me. Maybe an overuse of slow motion/bullet time, but I don't mind that sort of thing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

If she weren't immune to bullets she'd just explode into a cloud of gore when walloped by doomsday or some flying debris.

No! We must understand the lore like the goony nerds we are. She doesn't explode into a cloud of blood dust when punched or thrown into a concrete wall at super speed by Doomsday because she's a demigod. Achilles in Greek myth was a demigod and the dude still died :colbert:

[edit]

Tenzarin posted:

There's no part where they call her a demigod of say she is part Amazon in the movie.

It's revealed she is the offspring of Hippolyta (not a god) and Zeus (a god) in the film — it's her New 52 origin, where Hippolyta lied to Diana about her birth, saying she was born from clay, but in truth she is the natural born daughter of Zeus, carried to birth by the Amazon Queen. According to Greek myth, that makes her a half-god. A demigod. Part Amazon from her mother's side, part god from her father's side.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bruteman posted:

I wasn't expecting that and it was :3: Got an honest laugh out of me.

I though the movie, plot, etc. was just okay overall, but it's filled with little touches like that really made me like Gadot as Diana.

I like the ice cream part too. Which was pulled straight from the comics. "You should be very proud!" Totally made that ice cream vendor's day :3:

Tenzarin posted:

Then they got several lines in the movie wrong.

Which ones?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

For what it's worth, the RLM guys — who have mostly shat on DCEU films in the past — really liked Wonder Woman. Jay more so than Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoUnOxqr40

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

John McClane jumped through a window and never got any additional injuries. Plate glass is a joke in fictional universes.

Maybe John McClane is a demigod. You don't know.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

To be fair, Antiope's death doesn't teach her anything or instill any significant character development in her, and her drive to be Wonder Woman is shown to have come from other sources.

But in that case, why is the scene in here at all? Because we needed to keep the requisite blueprint of an archetypal superhero's journey, even if bits and pieces of that blueprint aren't actually needed? It's not like Diana was any less selfless or adventurous or proactive before Antiope died, unlike a lot of other heroes who require a motivating death of a loved one. Literally no one ever mentions Antiope again after that scene, because all of Diana's motivating forces are coming from elsewhere. So what does this death actually add, in this storyline?

In addition to what Ferinus said, on a surface level, it adds the origin of Wonder Woman's tiara :D It belonged to Antiope, and from what I remember, Hippolyta gave it to Diana as a parting gift, to wear it proudly in the world of man, and to honor the memory of the greatest Amazon warrior among them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

But SHE was the greatest warrior among them. Hippolita makes sure that happens when she realized Diana must learn to fight. Maybe she didn't learn some kind of ultimate Amazonian martial arts technique to become the greatest Amazon warrior or some anime bullshit like that.

No yeah I know that. Hippolyta told Antiope to "train Diana harder than any Amazon, to become even an greater warrior than you." Something to that effect. What I meant was that Hippolyta essentially said "wear the tiara to honor your Aunt Antiope who taught you how to be a badass."

• Locked thread