Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DC Murderverse posted:

forrest gump can bite me

...in the rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super Fan posted:

What exactly does she hate about CB movies and how is WW any different?

I'm making an assumption here, but maybe she's not super into big action movie spectacles and is more into dramas? I have friends like this. Things I observed/noticed in WW that are typically absent in other CB movies were the more sensual aspects of film, both serious and comedic. The whole "pleasures of the flesh" talk on the boat, the Steve "above average" scene, etc., and the romance being really effective and genuinely affecting (imo). Sorta comes with the character I suppose, but the film embraced those kind of elements, which are things you might find more so in a romantic drama/comedy. This is a big reason why I enjoyed the film as much as I did, personally.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 9, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

]In addition to the fact that the hero was a powerful woman raised by powerful women. It's empowering.

Oh yeah, I was pointing out things that (I think) weren't as clear/obvious to a dude as to why a woman would be more drawn to liking Wonder Woman over other comic book movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LionArcher posted:

And no mans land is a more emotional honest beat than anything out of the marvel universe.

Very true.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

The sex discussion on the boat was improvised! What?

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/9/15772134/wonder-woman-improv

One of my favorite scenes. That's awesome knowing it was improvised, haha. Both Gadot and Pine are really witty.

Sirotan posted:

This was probably the worst scene in the whole movie for me. The action came to a dead stop and then they have a conversation that felt really forced and corny and went on for ages. I guess now I know why! :v:

I personally thought it was a great character building moment that helps bring up the foundation for the relationship between Steve and Diana in a way that's funny and alluring. It's moments like those you don't see too often in a CB movie between a hero and their potential love interest, and it was refreshing imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Snyder's cameo have been found

I want a replica copy of that photo of Diana, Steve, and everyone so bad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I'm pretty sure this will be a flashback. Apparently the Amazons, Atlanteans, Kryptonians, and some humans all fought against Apokolips in the past.

It's one of the ideas JL is introducing that I'm unambiguously in favor of.

That sounds loving dope. Hope that's true.

[edit]

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently in the comics he came back from the dead multiple times. One time they pulled a Rick-And-Morty maneuver and just brought in a double from an alternate universe where he'd survived.

Here's hoping the DCEU films eventually diverge into a Flashpoint-inspired narrative. That way they could get more Pine :allears: and hopefully Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Flashpoint Timeline Batman.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 11, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

The movie did a really, really poor job of conveying this, if that's even what it was trying to convey.

I feel like that reading of the ending outcome was clearly enforced when we see Diana looking over to the trio of awesome and them hugging it out after they ran out of ammo in the fight with the German soldiers, ready and willing to accept their fate. When the conflict is over, it's like a that trope when someone is in a situation where they're almost about to die, but miraculously live. They gratefully celebrate such a fortunate thing.

The film also explicitly tells us Ares isn't directly manipulating the German soldiers either; they're just following orders, as soldiers do. I suppose the film could have given us a bit of perspective from the German soldiers loading up the bomber, with a small bit of dialogue between some of them discussing the armistice and why they're still doing what they're doing. But I felt Ares' monologue was solid enough explanation of the situation imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

The film really doesn't play it this way, though. Once Aries is gone, the German troops do an instant, complete 180°. There's no trepidation or dawning realization, it's just instant brotherhood. Yeah, Aries says he's not mind-controlling anyone, but he's very obviously got a vested interest in convincing Diana of that, and the events immediately following his death seem very strongly to imply that he was lying. So, either the film muddles its themes at the very end, or does a really poor job of conveying what it meant to. Either way, a good movie was let down by a kind of disappointing, muddled ending. It's still a good movie, it's just not perfect, but no movie is.

It's just a matter of reading the outcome on a literal or thematic level I suppose. I've mentioned this before, but I thought it's pretty clear the reason the German soldier and the Native American dude hugged it out at the end was because they both had just seen some batshit insane, fire and brimstone poo poo with actual gods battling out before them. They were on death's doorstep. Diana saved them all, and they survived. At that point they weren't a German soldier, or a merc for hire in the midst of a war anymore. They were just mere mortals, alive and well. What else can you do but open your arms to another human being in that kind of situation? It's sending this message that in the end, love and compassion conquers war and violence.

Phylodox posted:

He's a god, who knows what he can do? He can shoot mind visions through the lasso.

The lasso is divine in nature, and is used by a culture created by the gods. The film firmly establishes the rules of what the lasso does, and never implies that gods are unaffected by its power.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

I agree, though I feel like the movie could have illustrated this more clearly. Unless I'm misremembering, we don't really get a good picture of how the ordinary soldiers experience the fight while it's going on.

Yeah, I'm with the notion that the film could have maybe shown some of the emotions one or two German soldiers were going through during the ending to further illustrate the point. Not having that doesn't make the message any weaker or unclear to me, but I understand what it could have added.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

57 million weekend domestic. If my math is right that's only a 45.7% drop.
Total is 205 million domestic. Foreign 230 million. Total 435 million
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=wonderwoman.htm

Read an article earlier that said BvS, MoS, and Suicide Squad saw drops in the high 50s to low 60s for the second weekend. Wonder Woman only having a 45% drop is insane. Movie's got legs, hope to see its box office success go even further.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 12, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

MOS had a 45% drop for its second week.
BvS had a 69%.
Don't care what SS had. Hopefully worse.

Second weekend box office I think was what was being measured, where MoS had a 65% drop http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=superman2012.htm

[edit] I guess all DCEU films had drops in the 60s, not sure where I read 50s.

[edit] Oh wait, it was the Deadline article saying it's typical for an MCU movie to drop to 50% in its second weekend. This article: http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-whipping-tom-cruise-mummy-weekend-box-office-1202111169/

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 12, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just remembered that one rumor from way back that Amazons were descended from Kryptonians. Haha, good times.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Not that it ultimately matters, methinks, since the action in WW was generally pretty great. :buddy:

Agreed. :haw::hf::haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ShineDog posted:

It mostly avoided that loving terrible sliding stutter step movement that looks so weird and weightless whenever superman moves fast over a short distance, up until the end at least.

When Faora did this in MoS to that group of soldiers, it was loving awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Something something bringing political rhetoric into film, can't separate art from the artist, etc., etc.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Let's not derail this thread with an argument over Israel/Palestine.

Yes, let's not do this please.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

EDIT: wait did you mean Captain Marvel as in Shazam?? Maybe I was being pointlessly bitchy

I'm guessing MCU Captain Marvel.

I've been reading Captain Marvel comics since the announcement of Brie Larson being cast, and was super excited to get into her books at the recommendation of some goons. But thus far my overall impression of the character has been lukewarm. Not a huge fan of the writing, but the art is alright. The character just doesn't affect me like Wonder Woman does. Brie Larson though :allears: Hope the film presents Captain Marvel in a more compelling way.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BobKnob posted:

The Marvel heroines weren't just chosen for their ability to look good on posters.

Marvel marketing made drat sure to include rear end and cleavage shots for their posters, and to highlight Black Widow and Gamora's figures with unnatural poses. It's fine that you didn't like the movie or Gal Gadot as the lead, but you're heavily in the minority regarding Gadot's performance. Even the Red Letter Media guys, who have a penchant for making GBS threads on the DCEU and have ridiculed Gal Gadot's acting in BvS, felt Gal was pretty good in WW.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BobKnob posted:

I was saying that while every major Marvel actress has a decent or even spectacular film career, Gadot's biggest film before the DCEU was a bit part in the Fast and Furious franchise.

Why single out actresses? What was Chris Hemsworth's biggest film before he landed Thor? Or Henry Cavill's before Man of Steel?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Which isn't to say I'm not a bit apprehensive for Justice League as well. At the end of the day, there's still gonna be five dudemenguys on that team (six counting the inevitable Green Lantern in the sequel) with one single woman, which doesn't fill me with confidence that Diana isn't going to be afflicted with the same Team Chick syndrome that Black Widow and Gamora got the brunt of. Hopefully Mera makes more than just a cameo?

I can almost guarantee Diana is not going to be relegated to "Black Widow/Gamora" team status in JL. No way. If anything, I have an inkling all the guys will answer to her. I also feel like there's likely going to be a choice set piece in JL where both Diana and Mera wreck Parademon fools together.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Diana ended up leading the JL in this iteration. Superman and Batman are dead / unreliable / have secret identities to protect but Diana can just be baller constantly.

Yep. In my pre-BvS speculation, I even remember reading rumors that Wonder Woman is going to JL's formal leader in the DCEU. Dug through the archives and found a post I made in the BSS Movie thread back in 2014 where I made that assumption, haha:

quote:

They're not aping The Dark Knight Returns verbatim though, they're just using parts of it as inspiration for how they're portraying this iteration of Batman. In relation to that, weaving parts of of The Death of Superman into Dawn of Justice makes kind of makes sense considering what Man of Steel had laid the groundwork for. This is pure speculation, but if Snyder/Terrio write Dawn of Justice where the public opinion of Superman is wholly or even partially negative, whether that's due to the level of destruction he was a part of or if Lex Luthor slanders the hell out of him, the only way Clark can convince the public that he's not the enemy is through self-sacrifice.

While it might be a bit heavy-handed with the Christ metaphor again, it does make a bit of sense. It'd be a poignant mark in the narrative at least, where the public scolds him but he's the only one who can save them. Maybe Batman knows this too. Superman dying could also be what sparks the Justice League to form. I do remember reading somewhere that it's rumored to have Wonder Woman spearhead the Justice League in films and be its formal leader. Either way, I hope the rumor is true if only to read how angry everyone will be in the aftermath.

What's funny is the post in response to my speculation made by one of the BSS mods:

quote:

They're not going to loving kill Superman before a goddamn Justice League movie.

:smug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Well, if that's the case it'll probably happen during the reshoots, 'cuz so far the trailers have mostly focused on JL being the misadventures of cranky Batman playing off against the wacky gang he picks up, while Diana hasn't done much in them but make poses and snark against...again, Batman.

One trailer was a comic-con tease with very little finished footage, and we only recently just got one official trailer. I'd wait until JL marketing goes full throttle before passing judgement on whether Diana has a significant role in the film. She will. We know she already has a direct connection to the JL plot through the motherboxes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hooah posted:

Popping in with a small, stupid question. Where/how did Diana's Amazon outfit change into her Wonder Woman one? I just saw the movie last night and it seemed like the first time we see the WW one is when she comes out of the trench, but I don't remember any mention of it previously.

You get a glimpse of the armor after she picks up the sword/shield/lasso. Also when she meets Steve before they go to the boat, Steve says "nice outfit" when we get a peak at her boots.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

and how her very presence didn't cause a huge international incident. a demi-god brutalizing the german army without any knowledge of the conflict at large. she just trusted some random blonde guy on who to kill. "me good, them bad".

A lot of the set pieces that happened in the film were in remote and/or covert locations. Storming No Man's Land would likely be an unbelievable story that most soldiers on the front would consider a means to inspire, not really an actual thing that happened. Even the town that was liberated was a relatively small village that Etta had trouble finding on a map.

[edit] What was the name of town Diana and co liberated again? Was it Veldt?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 17, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reading this and remember the scene is making me all :smith: "I can save today. You can save the world." Steeeeve!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ungulateman posted:

soldiers legit thought that angels descended from the heavens and cleared a path for their charge across no man's land during ww1 (presumably because they were dehydrated, suffering from dysentery and/or breaking down mentally), so there's no particular reason to think anyone would believe the story of the Wondrous Woman

Steve also calls Diana "Angel" as a nickname in the comics. I can't recall if he ever did so in the film though. I thought he was going to on the beach, since his first glimpse of Diana as his plane was sinking into the ocean was fairly ethereal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spooky WW1 angels!

In some versions they were ghosts of Agincourt archers and not angels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_of_Mons

Would have been cool if the film acknowledged or referenced this in someway, which would have made an easy entry to coin Diana's "Angel" nickname from Steve.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 18, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

WW had a spectacular 3rd weekend, only dropping 30%.

Domestic is now 274 million, Global total 570 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4300&p=.htm

It's looking like it'll overtake BvS sooner than I expected ...

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...ad/Man-of-Steel

It ain't slowing down :stare:

This is amazong :allears:

[edit] I was going to correct that typo, but nah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I like how overtaking BvS is treated like an actual goal.

The goal of a film, any tentpole/blockbuster film, is not only to be critically successful but also commercially successful. That's the movie business. So, yeah. Wonder Woman clearly is a success among fans and critics, so why wouldn't overtaking another film's box office returns, especially one in its own franchise/series, be an actual goal?

[edit] There are exceptions though. Like Transformers. Their goal is to be complete poo poo but still have large box office returns.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wonder Woman isn't a tentpole film. BvS and Justice League are the tentpoles in the franchise, they had much bigger budgets and masses and masses of tie in merchandise. WW is the hammock between the tentpoles which means they expected the popularity of the bigger films to carry it along.

Uhh, what? Every DCEU film is a tentpole film for WB. WW is one of their Summer tentpoles, along with Dunkirk.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was going by the technical definitions of 'tentpole' and 'hammock'. The amount of merchandise the film is expected to sell is usually a big part of what makes a films a tentpole these days.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tent-pole_(entertainment)

Except every news outlet has described Wonder Woman as a summer tentpole film, because it is. I've seen plenty of WW merchandise out there. Maybe not as much as BvS, but it has its share. And, sort of relevant, if you read Uproxx's article about WB not promoting WW enough, Vanity Fair debunked that:

quote:

“You Aren’t Imagining It, ‘Wonder Woman’ Really Isn’t Being Well Promoted” reads a headline for a Donna Dickens piece on Uproxx comparing the number of trailers and promotional videos for Wonder Woman relative to last summer’s Suicide Squad and next fall’s Justice League. “The lack of marketing worries me,” writes Shana O’Neil at SyfyWire. “It worries a lot of people who are invested in the success of female superheroes in film and television.”

So… is Warner’s really burying Wonder Woman? Five weeks is a long way out in movie-marketing land. Especially during the crowded popcorn season we’re entering. Let’s look at some data: according to iSpot, which tracks TV advertising, W.B. has spent $3,043,212 so far on ads for Wonder Woman. At five weeks out, the studio had spent $2,645,643 on ads for Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman ads aired during the Kids Choice Awards and the N.C.A.A. finals, and there were promotions for the film at South by Southwest and Wondercon. On Thursday—perhaps hearing the call from fans—the studio dropped two new trailers for the film, one heavy with action and another with wit. So far, at least, Warner Bros. seems to be giving Wonder Woman a fair deal. But if the studio falters in its release, it’s clear there will be an army of braceleted fists shaking about it.

[edit] Also relevant, Bloomberg had an article estimating Wonder Woman movie toy sales to bring in 100 million in revenue—less than many of the traditional male superhero tie-ins but still a significant amount of revenue. Article was published on June 5th https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-05/wonder-woman-s-secret-power-bridging-the-boy-girl-toy-gap Here's a choice quote:

quote:

At a Detroit area Walmart last week, Wonder Woman dolls and accessories outnumbered the collection of Spider-man stuff. Clothing items were displayed throughout the store and products even included ready-to-bake cookies from Pillsbury. Target, GAP, Kohl’s and Amazon.com will also carry Wonder Woman merchandise; globally, the product line will include themed underwear, camping gear and home décor.

Walmart led the merchandising blitz for WW by launching several toy lines in their stores back in March. And WB/DC also launched an online store specifically to sell Wonder Woman-centric merchandise online: https://wonderwomanshop.com

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

$3 million on TV ads for WW is a pittance. WB dropped $28m on TV ads for BvS and there were an additional $18m of ads paid for by sponsors like Dodge and General Mills and all the toy companies that brought the total ad budget for BvS to $46 million. Fox spent over $23m buying ads for Deadpool.

WB also didn't put that much $$$ behind advertising Suicide Squad compared to other movies, it was a cheap move for Vanity Fair to draw that comparison.

Those estimates were 5 weeks out of the film's release. AdAge reported that, again based on iSpot.tv estimates, the total amount WB has dropped on TV ads for WW to this point is about $24.8 million http://adage.com/article/media/s-a-critic/309360/

quote:

According to iSpot.tv estimates, the studio thus far has invested $24.8 million in national TV inventory, which is within shooting range of the initial outlay for Warner/DC's 2016 release, "Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice." The comparable TV spend for that film, which introduced Gal Gadot in the Wonder Woman role, was $29 million.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Well why didn't you post that link in the first place.
I'm betting that the co-branded ads are still way way less than BvS (there's not a lot of chances for product placement for a film set in WW1) so the total ad spend will still be down.

Because the first article I linked still got the point across. And the article explicitly mentioned that's how much was spent 5 weeks still out from release up til that point, not the total TV ad budget.

For a start you'd expect a superhero movie that had just come out to have more merch on the shelves than a superhero movie that wasn't in theatres for another month yet, especially since Marvel has been downplaying Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-Men toys for the last few years. I'd be interested to know if there was more Wonder Woman toys than Batman or Superman toys in those stores, the article very carefully didn't mention that.

(The various stores I visited last week had a more Spider-Man: Homecoming toys than Wonder Woman movie toys but they had more BvS and Avengers toys than either.)

Wonder Woman transcends general movie merchandising since it has girl-oriented merchandising too, or did you miss that part of the article:

quote:

Then there are the girl-oriented tie-ins, like Wonder Woman-branded cosmetics, jewelry and purses. The female Amazonian princess, with her golden lasso and sword, could earn up to $1 billion from global sales of licensed merchandise, said Karina Masolova, executive editor of The Licensing Letter, which tracks licensing revenue. That would put her ahead of Superman and on par with Batman, who gets an advantage from his assortment of weapons and vehicles.

Just because whatever stores you visited don't have an abundance of WW merchandise on display does not mean WW is lacking any.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've been talking about merchandise specific to the WW movie this entire time, or did you miss that?

No? I'm talking specifically about WW merchandising tie-ins too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Bloomberg article you linked to said "toy sales this year for Wonder Woman, strictly tied to the movie, will be about $100 million" but overall WW merch sales will be perhaps $1 billion.

Edit: just to be clear, my argument has been "There's a lot less merchandise specifically branded for the WW film than there was for BvS", I wasn't commenting on the general amount of generic WW merchandise.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the article reads that toys (i.e., action figures, funko pops, dolls, stuff like that I'm guessing) tied to the movie will bring in roughly $100 million. And then girl-oriented merchandising tie-ins (cosmetics, jewelry, purses, clothing, etc.) to the film could bring in an estimated $1 billion in revenue. Did more searching and another site using the same source, posted this:

quote:

Merchandising around the film featured standard superhero toys, but also ties to more women-oriented products such as branded cosmetics, jewelry and purses, which could bring in as much as $1 billion worldwide in sales, Karina Masolova, executive editor of The Licensing Letter, told Bloomberg.

But then the graphic used in the Bloomberg article that posts revenue from 2015 shows WW merch in comparison to Batman and Superman merch so :shrug:

My point still stands though. Just because you don't see more WW movie merchandise in the toy store compared to BvS merchandise doesn't mean there isn't any. The articles I've linked clearly show the WW film does have the amount of merchandising tie-ins to be considered a tentpole film based on Wikipedia's definition of the term. Not that the film even needed to be proven or justified as such, but I wanted to.

[edit] I just realized you probably thought when I typed out WW in previous posts, I was just talking about WW in general. No, whenever I typed out WW, I meant in regards to the film. Guess I should have italicized like you did, or added "movie" after. Oh well.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You chopped off a whole chunk of my argument! Your whole thing I was arguing against was that you mentioned Wonder Woman isn't a tentpole film since you felt it lacked the merchandising tie-ins in comparison to BvS, relegating WW to "hammock" status because you hardly saw any toys or action figures for the film in stores. I took that as you implying that maybe you felt WB didn't provide Wonder Woman with adequate advertising/promotion. That's why I brought up the whole Uproxx/Vanity Fair thing. I also cited several other articles that presented evidence contrary to this idea that WB didn't promote Wonder Woman hard enough, either through ads or merchandising tie-ins. [edit] This is a dumb debate, so I'm gonna stop bringing it up haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 19, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wish someone would name and shame the execs or whoever that were confused about the No Man's Land scene and wanted it cut out of the film/replaced with something dumb. I want to revel in the schadenfreude of the internet burning them down into ash because of how goddamn stupid they were for even suggesting to remove that iconic (imo) setpiece.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cool bit of trivia: Chief (the Native American dude who helps Diana and Steve out) was also a demigod: http://io9.gizmodo.com/wonder-woman-actor-says-chief-is-actually-a-demi-god-1796389983

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Note that it took Man of Steel 93 days to hit the $291 million domestic mark but WW got there in just 21 days and is still going strong.

Ridiculously strong:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BrownPortlyDinosaur.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's ok, you can like Wonder Woman and Man of Steel. Both are great films, and are in my personal top 5 superhero/comic book movies.

• Locked thread