Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

If Trials came back it would have to be something extremely different. My two ideas would be “3 Exotics per player” or “All light powers removed”

Honestly a mode where you can equip exotics in every slot would be really nice. It wouldn't even be that ridiculous either since most exotic armor/weapons aren't that powerful anyways, and it would let people have fun finding interesting synergies and playstyles that would give PvP a good shakeup. They should have a section in the crucible director where the weekly mode alternates between that and Mayhem. Then have normal quickplay alternate between Clash, Control and Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

galagazombie posted:

Personally I'm kinda disappointed we're getting yet another Hive expansion. They've been run into the ground at this point and it's irritating to hear the game keep fellating them over how they're so much cooler than us and everyone else after we've kicked their asses at least 5 campaigns now. I at least really liked how Calus poo poo-talked them in the new lore.

D2 base game was Cabal. First expansion was Vex, second was icy Hive, third was Fallen/Skorn/Taken so you have a point but they needed to repeat something and it looks like they're doing a Siva/Taken-style twist this time with the bosses from other factions being featured as nightmares or whatever they are, so I think it's going to be a semi-new race of sorts like Siva and Taken were.

Rumor has it that they're saving the new enemy faction for Destiny 3 and it will be whatever's in those triangle ships at the end of the campaign and Fallen & Cabal will be our allies in fighting them which is kinda cool.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roman posted:

Here's my hot take: Destiny 2 is better than Destiny 1 now.

I think some stuff is better and some stuff is worse. Would anyone really consider PvP to be anywhere near as good as it was in D1? D1 definitely had much better map variety and content as well, but then again D2 PvP does seem to have more variety than I remember D1 having so who knows. Personally I just miss a lot of D1 maps :shobon:

Rubellavator posted:

I dont know where the "we want more races of bad guys" thing comes from the game already suffers enough from a lack of focus with having 4 different alien races plotting to end all life as we know it.

I don't think many people are asking for more races? In my opinion the enemy variety (and AI) is already leagues ahead of other shooters. With D1 I hoped that they would increase the weapon variety since it was a bit stale for a space shooter at launch, and since then they've done a really good job of expanding the weapon pool with sidearms, swords, submachine guns, grenade launchers, bows, linear fusion rifles, trace rifles etc. and I'm excited to see what else is added to the series in the future. They showed some new melee finisher mechanic for Shadowkeep and I like the way that they slowly expand stuff like this.

xzzy posted:

Bungie should to develop a social space where you can interact with the enemy types. Sit down at a table with a vex goblin, get a cup of tea and really get to know the guy, understand his backstory and motivations. Then in the future when you meet on the battlefield you have a real respect for where he's coming from. That's how you make an interesting enemy.

Getting the "Respawning restricted" warning as a Vex goblin runs to a gatelord and starts beeping that you mistook his uncle Clyde's brain juice for milk and consumed him as part of a beverage.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What did we all use in the D1 days? Discord wasn't a thing but I remember that we'd just hop into chat somewhere and ask who was down for Trials/Nightfall/Raid and there was always people online so it only took a few minutes to have enough for a full team. Was it IRC? I remember going lighthouse in Trials with a couple goons and nobody using headsets, just typing the odd callout instead.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Dude imagine coming back into this from vanilla.

I get angry at how funky it all is having just missed a season.

You need a degree in Bungie Science to know what to do.

Luckily the things to do are all pretty fun save for the Season of Drifter stuff.

Yeah, I think Datto pointed this out during the Shadowkeep reveal when he said that the game has got a lot wider in scope, but not deeper. So while there's an overwhelming amount of activities and things to do, there's not much to them and core pillars of the game like Strikes & Crucible have been completely neglected. I really do think it would save Bungie so much time and effort if they stopped trying to come up with all these different sorta-horde modes and just made a proper horde mode that worked on Crucible maps and had matchmaking and that was it, no more time and resources wasted designing minor variations with odd quirks and small locations only valid for that activity.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That map owned so much

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Do you need to complete these Saladin challenges to unlock additional armor pieces in the loot pool? Been fine but hovering around 50% grenade kills needed when I'm only 700 light so it's going really slowly. I've handed in a bunch of tokens and completed all the bounties for packages from Saladin but just keep getting boots over and over again when I'd really like a single helmet or chest piece for when Shadowkeep introduces transmog.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the info. Which piece of armor does this current super/melee/grenade step unlock? Is it chest or helmet? I think I'll call it quits after I've got these grenade kills.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks everyone.

haveblue posted:

On the plus side, your unlocks should persist into future season 7 IBs so you have 2 more weeks before Shadowkeep in which you can finish the quest and grind armor.

So I can finish the current step for the class item and the next time IB rolls around I can continue from that point and instantly start with the chest step, rather than starting from the beginning again (for that character, at least)? This will stay in my pursuits tab until Shadowkeep launches with progress from each IB carrying over to the next? That's not so bad if so, gives me a chance to hopefully snag stuff for more than one character as well.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Yes.

The next quest steps go much quicker than the grenade one too.

Also there's a chance that Shadowkeep will make all the current armor obsolete anyway!

That's a relief and yeah, I expect them to become obsolete in practical terms, but not aesthetically. I just want some chest/head pieces to use with the new transmog system for when Shadowkeep lets players change the look of armor they use.

Speaking of, I really hope Faction Rallies come back. I never got a chance to participate but each vendor had some nice armor sets. I don't know why they don't just make them like they were in D1 so they're extra things to do and work towards from the tower? Wanna get all the New Monarchy gear.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

I think it has a lot to do with trials disappearing. Those bags on the final round of the final game really broke people.

Final round self rez Warlocks getting noped by golden guns would rage people out as well, especially if multiple members of their team tried it together.

ToO owned so much. Would anyone miss Comp if they replaced it with that? The bomb mode sucks anyway.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Judge Tesla posted:

Forsaken was just that drop.

Forsaken was bigger than TTK, I think. Shadowkeep is looking like it might be bigger as well? Twice the size of the moon in D1 means it will definitely be bigger than the dreadnought. If D3 is started from scratch again like the rumors suggest (it's not just the tower blowing up again, but Earth is completely lost as well according to one leak, and humanity allies with the Fallen and Cabal) then it's going to be yet another monumental drop in content that will take years to recover from. The recent Shadowkeep reveal had them talking like they don't want to start over however because they know how dumb it is and how WoW was all the better for continually building on the same game rather than pumping out sequels and starting from scratch, so who knows if they're gonna keep building upon this or wipe the slate clean yet again.

If you look at content spreads however, who knows? In D1 expansions they always included new crucible maps and strikes along with the story/gear/location but in D2 new crucible maps and strikes have been a rarity in favor of yet another variation on horde mode. I'd really like to see a renewed focus on crucible maps and strikes, Shadowkeep doesn't need a horde-wannabe mode because none of them are as good as the real thing anyways but the crucible/strike pillars of the game have been ignored for far too long and need a huge content boost.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

It sounds more like artifacts are going to replace activity mods. Activity mods don't go away when a new season starts, though.

Yeah the introduction of artifacts sounds cool but knowing that they go away each season is already frustrating. I wish Bungie would stop removing content or making it obsolete. I'd rather get to keep artifacts and switch between different ones depending on activity etc. and how useful they are for it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They’re bringing back widows court and twilight gap but it’s unclear if that’s for all the modes or just the new 3v3 thing they’re working on

This is good but didn't he also say that they're removing some maps from PvP as well? I'm not sure that pulling more maps is a good idea until they have more to add.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah but if you remove them all you're only left with a few maps and the repetition is bad enough already. Not gonna complain about the likes of Midtown and Equinox getting scrapped but still.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CheeseFactory posted:

And burning shrine. gently caress burn out. Gimme the sun

Yeah, it sucked that they did that because they thought it was imbalanced or whatever but it actually added a lot to the map and the importance of flipping spawns. It also just looked really freakin' nice, and the original had more space outside before you were out of bounds. D1 version of Shores of Time was better as well. Did all the crucible map designers quit during production of D2? D1 maps felt like they were designed by the people that made Halo, whereas D2 maps feel like they were designed by people that made COD.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Absolutely brilliant troll by Bungie.

"We're removing Countdown, and with it, some underperforming maps".

What maps, you say?

The first four to be removed from all playlists are:
Dead Cliffs
Legion’s Gulch
Retribution
Solitude

Lol

How those get removed but junk like Equinox, Fortress, Vostok and Meltdown get to stay makes no sense. They shouldn't be removing 4 if they're only adding 3 either, at least replace with an equal number.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They did clarify though that these maps are not going away forever* but are going back to the shop to get spawns and flow fixed up. Their goal is to have a few maps go in and a few go out, each season.

*They said this about Faction Rally and Trials though soooo

Emperor's Respite seems to be gone for good, so I don't have much faith they'll fix other maps either. It wasn't that great but it was nice having a map set on the Leviathan, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Really? My bad then, never play Rumble. The way they seem to want to handle content (adding and removing) going forward doesn't seem like a great idea, though. At this point in its lifecycle D1's PvP had a stupidly large amount of content.