Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So the solution you put forward can be summarized as "live with mass shootings just like we live with natural disaster deaths"

Banning semi autos also eliminates belt fed uppers.

Banning bump fire and other gimmicks would be the tinyest start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
We can do all that in parallel. Fixing society is a difficult thing.

But what does that have to do with people needing to own deadly weapons that are particularly good at killing people? Yes maybe we can finally knee jerk into banning them, but why was there a need for civilian ownership in the first place.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If ownership of semi automatic rifles is necessary for self defense against a destructive government then we should do what I (completely seriously) tell the CSPAM thread all the time, arm and train minority communities.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
See I can't justify arguing that a semi-automatic handgun is not primarily ideal as a defense weapon since its something you can conceivably carry often should the need arise. But youre not going to be walking around town with a mini-14 for self defense and deer hunting at the same time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've spooned with a 2000lb torpedo for a month (literally). That may have skewed my view on weaponry to be more or less reasonable depending on your point of view.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Re: The NRA, they just uploaded the John Oliver clip from the Orlando shootings in which they discuss the NRA's tactics.

Wait? Like as a refutation or as an acceptance? Wth

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

How bout you quit being a little bitch because our hobby has a body count

While that is a sentiment I can agree with that would also be an argument about racing cars. Same logic apply's there, cars are regulated, but people still street race and accidentally hit bystanders. Yet much like guns 99.9% of the time people aren't driving fast with the intention of killing somebody.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Flikken posted:

I uhhhh.......what? There is no way those numbers are similar.

They're not similar. But car fatalities are high, and car fatalities in general are very high, but for a rhetorical argument it's another hobby with a body count.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You could probably use successful drivers licences and car regulation as starting point for national registry.

Because the government is definitely out to take all your cars away

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Doc Hawkins posted:

Later taken into custody...alive?! Oh, right, a white kid.

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/914523978689056769

kid saw this article last week and went 'hold my beer'

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/i/moments/914906488359079937

Twitter did a rundown of gun statistics. (I guess some of you aren't used to fancy modern stuff, so swipe left on mobile to flip pages)

Liberal conspiracy or falsified data!? Gun owners decide below.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

That's not dumb, the message is chilling and terrifying. It almost sounds like the NRA is calling for violence.

I wonder if the NRA people would cower like the alt-right if ever confronted with real violence. They've got a hero complex, but those don't hold up to drone strikes and long range rifles.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
While some of the lack of good applicants is poor pay. I'd argue that another huge factor in quality of applicants is that a lot of people view being a cop as bad because of the worst of the bunch shooting people and being racist fucks. Would I, a college educated miliant liberal, want to work in my hometown police department? No. Hell no. Despite being in a democratic town in a liberal state, its rural enough that the whole police force is known to be racist as gently caress and are a miserable lot to deal with even as an affluent white.

That mindset is driving away good applicants who would make inroads to correcting that mindset. No one wants to be the one guy in twenty with no friends at work because he's the dirty liberal who won't billy club the black man outside the local dive bar.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
How often has a suspect accurately shot from the hip? This isn't a western and the perp isn't John Wayne. Practicing snapshots from a stable position with your gun loose at your side is one thing, drawing a concealed weapon while often crouched or just at a weird angle is another, and on adrenaline.

The more I see these videos the more i'm starting to think that forcing officers to take a moment to register a weapon won't move the needle on annual uniform deaths. I'm curious, if you separate out the statistics for officer fatalities when confronting suspects already armed and brandishing, vs those who attempt to draw once already in a low intensity alternation with the police, what you'll find. I'm mostly thinking of things like these traffic stop murders. These aren't potentially armed suspects who you have been chasing through the alleys of a city. If you have a hostile suspect resisting arrest odds are he'll already have his weapon out when you come around a corner. How often will the suspect standing by his car successfully pull off a quick draw no scope, one in a hundred? assuming the officer does nothing once its no longer ambiguous if he's reaching for his wallet or his waist gun?

Maybe find a three gun and get a conservative sample size from experienced shooters to see how often they put a single shot into a figure. I want this to be analytical and empirical now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

vains posted:

made it almost impossible for one of you to kill the wrong person.

well, to be fair to the cops in this case, "kill the wrong person" could be the macro tagline of 17 years of US foreign policy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I haven't seen anybody arguing that people who bought bitcoin a few years ago or for the specific version of buying drugs are idiots.

If you are one of the idiots who took out loans to buy bitcoins in the last few months you are absolutely an idiot who needs to get burned for this. We cannot function in a consequence free world. When you decide that libertarian dream money is valid you accept that you're discarding the financial protections of the real world to gamble.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CommieGIR posted:

Bitcoin is not the same as putting a roof over your head. Bitcoin is like dumping your money on the craps table at Vegas and expecting to walk away a millionaire.

This

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
pretty sure doge coin started as a goon run spoof coin, then people took it seriously and the original spoof on how stupid bitcoin was was lost in the haze.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Tapes like this, where the cop was clearly attempting to deescallate, a hostile subject with a known weapon, and an attempt to use non-lethal means, depict a wholely valid course of action that still sadly resulted in loss of life. Those officers did their job and should be allowed to continue to do their job with the goodwill of the populace.

Whereas the dozen tapes we've had that clearly show negligent homicide have also resulted in no consequences. Those officers are still part of the system but their actions now have eroded public trust, making the job of the rest of the force more difficult.

So yeah, judge every incident on the merits and have accountability.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yes, if we create a bunch of ridiculous contortions based on obsolete documents, it will indeed be impossible to pass meaningful gun control regulation. Or we could we could not try to force a modern legal system through the lens of ambiguous 250 year old statements, stop fetishizing the people who wrote them, and join the rest of the developed world by passing provably effective gun control measures.

Can't do that, the 2nd amendment exists as a final protection of your personal freedom and sovereignty should the 1st fail. Its litterally written with the intent that a man should be armed to kill another in extremis.

Hence why banning guns is a false narrative that begins from the assumption that the "developed world" is a peaceful and equitable place where violence has place. That is going to be a non-starter for another century+.

There are many avenues of effective policy of regulation and licensing that don't involve banning any guns.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On a separate crazy note

In my mind there should be a legal path to owning just about any weapon of war, just that for things like an artillery piece that the process would take 3 years and you could only store it at the nearest army live fire range. But legally you'd still own it. You know, the 'well regulated militia' part. Go buy a SAW, you just have to keep it in a safe at a certified range rather than in your home. Now there would be no way I see of making that system fair to people without a ton of cash to burn, so it would have the effect of most existing gun regulation in that it just inhibits those in poverty from exercising their right, rather then preventing ownership.

E; I should also add that every range I’ve been too that offers full auto rentals has such garbage safety, maintentence, and weapons control that they shouldn’t even be allowed to rent anything. That’s another element that would have to be legislated and enforced by whatever replaces the dumpster fire that is the ATF

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 2, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You're right in that it absolutely wasn't "every person own a gun to overthrow the government". But it was absolutely to ensure that local municipalities would not be toothless against authority run amok. Either individually or in groups, the militia was not just a singular state level entity. The whole setup is supportive of the ethos that individuals (land owning white men) have a right to weapons to defend their communities. Its not a right to own hunting rifles, its a right (for land owning white men) to own weapons whose purpose is to kill another person. Just because the militia system was garbage and collapsed eventually doesn't remove the original intent and purpose.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ban the manufacture and sale of handguns except where specifically needed by law enforcement and military;

This part is a poor policy that no one will accept

quote:

and introduce licensing, registration (that is centrally stored and can be referenced when needed), and background check requirements on all transfers of firearms.

this part is good policy that the NRA has dedicated millions of dollars to prevent because it would reduce sales.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The whole NFA as a response to the Bonus army march too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Running on education, health care, and mental welfare would be better and do more overall good for gun violence anyway. Fix the problem without saying bad words that trigger the shrieking horde of nra lobbiests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Pay the $40 to have an FFL-ee mediate the transfer and do the NICB?

• Locked thread