Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

I've never been summoned for jury duty. I think I'd actually enjoy it. :(

I got jury duty for a month once on a massive wrongful death lawsuit against Chrysler. It was pretty interesting/rewarding except for the whole not being paid part, although I was 18-19 and wasn't severely impacted by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I can't quite identify what he had in his hand..

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There is some small satisfaction to pulling up to gun ranges (which are mostly in the extremely Republican suburbs here) with my Bernie Sanders magnet on the back. But yeah the whole political gun culture disgusts me, especially the thinly veiled (or overt) racism that pervades it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

At least for the only cool part of Illinois (Chicago) you're an hour or less from Wisconsin where you can store whatever cool guns you want so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Plus AR15s and what not are already illegal in Cook County anyway.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I dunno, it's usually Indiana that gets singled out by Chicago for supplying crime guns. I rarely if ever have heard Wisconsin referenced in the same way.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I see what point you're trying to make, but I'd maintain that the violence we see in Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. is the result of concentrated poverty, segregation, etc. as opposed to simple gun availability. Not that guns don't make it easier for violence to be deadly (they certainly do).

I live in Milwaukee and driving through the most impoverished neighborhoods is absolutely gut wrenching. We've got a huge segment of society that has basically been deliberately abandoned and whom most white Republican voters could give two shits about.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

vains posted:

im like 99% certain that you cant legally buy a gun in state 'a' if you're not a resident of state 'a' unless the weapon is shipped to an ffl in the state where you are a resident. once the gun arrives in whatever state you're a resident of, it is still subject to the laws of that state.

i guess it might help to know a few gun laws before you start beating the gun control drum.

i think its fair to say that most voters don't give a poo poo about them.

You can only buy a handgun in a state that you're a resident of or in the case of active duty military a state that you have PCS orders to AFAIK. But on the other hand it's not difficult to see how someone has connections in state A. buying guns for state B.

For example locally we have very open laws (basically nothing stricter than current federal law) and a gun shop that is notorious for being the source of crime guns, given that Milwaukee is only 70-80 miles or so from Chicago so I'd have to imagine that a significant amount of illegally purchased firearms make their way from Milwaukee to Chicago with its relatively strict laws. Chicago borders Indiana so it's probably even easier for people to buy guns there and bring them to Illinois.

quote:

Is anyone suggesting that criminals (most of whom likely have criminal records) doing the shooting in Chicago (or any other city with more stringent firearms restrictions) are going out and directly buying guns in other jurisdictions?

No, but they have people with clean backgrounds willing to make straw purchases. There's a lot of connection between gangs in Chicago and Milwaukee for instance and I'm sure most other midwestern cities as well.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the obvious solution is steps that look at reducing crime itself, but that involves addressing our massive systemic issues concerning race, income inequality and the justice system and lol there aren't 10 votes in the Senate for that.

Yeah, and as a gun owner I agree with more stringent background checks. But you've lost me at banning specific firearms; I'm overall a generally liberal democrat voter but I'm sure as hell not willing to give up my AR15 as a law abiding person.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 8, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Didn't Canada scrap their registry because it was worthless? Also didn't California institute a registry before enacting actual bans on certain weapons? It makes for a valid slippery slope argument among gun owners.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, that's ridiculous with the tracing paperwork but we do have examples of states using registries (California) and then later banning said firearms.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Eh, I'm a solid democrat voter and have an AR15 plus a few handguns. Granted I'm definitely in the minority of gun owners.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So around 30% of Democrat voters in 2016 owned guns.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Maybe address systemic racism, poverty and a lack of proper mental health care? Or why a certain segment of men in our country feel so isolated and angry at society that they're willing to lash out and murder 50+ people. Instead we're just going to jerk off to yet another pointless gun control debate.

Even if you did somehow ban basically any firearm other than hunting shotguns and bolt action rifles it would be a bandaid at best.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Now you're just going to get people refusing to seek treatment for their illness because they're afraid of losing their rights and being ostracized. Plus if you've been adjudicated mentally delinquent you're ineligible to own firearms already.

I'm sure plenty of us here have had or are undergoing mental health care and also own firearms; just because you have mental health issues doesn't mean you're necessarily a danger to yourself or others. But I agree: people who are a danger shouldn't possess firearms during that time but it's a rather difficult topic to crack when you factor in things like HIPAA and other privacy issues.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is gunchat, afterall. People gotta cling to their murdertoys for dear life. Rationality is out the window. We just have to accept that people are going to get massacred periodically. Sometimes it will be schoolchildren. Sometimes sodomites at a gay bar. Sometimes good god fearing country music fans in vegas. Guns aren't to blame, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nice_attack

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That’s pretty much how I feel...

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

Are people in here denying that gun control as we know it today was truly started by the Democratic party to prevent black people from owning guns in the racist Jim Crow south?

Are you one of those who tries to tie the racist southern Dixiecrats to the modern Democratic party?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

:lol: if you think these are strong feelings.

A voter registration card isn't held equally by democrats? :thunk:

My Florida, Mississippi, and Texas CCWs all have had photos on them. CCWs are state issued licenses, how can they not have pictures on them? They would be useless otherwise.

Then get a state ID.

Hey, just like gun laws!

My WI permit doesn't have a photo. It's a shame being a moron isn't banable here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

North Carolina legislature had a study on "how do minorities vote" and then started restricting based on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0W8_qn0Aw

He's a US Congressman.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Behold how dumb this video is, and despair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9cj_AWPPI

That's not dumb, the message is chilling and terrifying. It almost sounds like the NRA is calling for violence.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AlexanderCA posted:

The thread title has been bothering me for a while.

:golfclap:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Expanded social programs and actual taxes would be a good thing

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

there's no need for anyone to buy as many weapons as he did

I really don't understand why you're focusing on this. Just because you have 50 guns doesn't mean they're all going to be useful to a single active shooter (barring them running around with a wheelbarrow?), it's sort of irrelevant beyond the first few firearms. Now if some nuts are outfitting their crazy right wing militias by buying 50 guns a year, then yeah that's a more realistic problem.

quote:

The fact that whiteman did with just a bolt action doesn't negate the fact that easier to fire rifles with a hell of a lot larger capacity can be had for dirt cheap today compared to 1966.

You could buy semi-automatic firearms through the mail in 1966. Actual machine guns could be had for a few hundred dollars.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So you're saying nobody collects firearms and that it isn't a valid reason?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

If stamps were frequently used to kill large numbers of children at once, I'd demand a better justification for buying them than "I like looking at them laid out neatly in a row," and I definitely wouldn't include it on a list of "valid reasons" for buying stamps that is supposed to counterbalance mass murder.

:allears: Can you be any more smug? It's a constant in your posts, I've never ignored anyone in GiP but the urge gets stronger and stronger.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I'll never be an NRA member. I wish there was a more viable non-partisan/left leaning equivalent to the NRA that I could become a member of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SimonCat posted:

Remember when all the people in Madison protested against Scott Walker, singing songs, holding up signs with cool memes and sick burns on them?

This is about as effective.

You could argue that the Act 10 protest lead to his recall. He just happened to win the recall election.

• Locked thread