Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Never go to concerts or go outside or do anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

25% of muslims in Norwegian schools supports ISIS

https://norgesavisen.no/sjokkstudie-25-prosent-av-muslimske-elever-i-norge-stotter-terrorgruppen-is/

They can gently caress off and die!
The article says the questions "are not linked to 'ISIL' or the violence the organization is exercising?" Huh?

And the survey interviewed little kids, not high school students?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The vast majority of young Arabs are increasingly rejecting Islamic State and believe the extremist group will fail to establish a caliphate, a poll has found.

Only 13% of Arab youths said they could imagine themselves supporting Isis even if it did not use much violence, down from 19% last year, while 50% saw it as the biggest problem facing the Middle East, up from 37% last year, according to the 2016 Arab Youth Survey.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/12/vast-majority-young-arabs-isis-shunning-poll

quote:

Recent attacks in Paris, Beirut and Baghdad linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have once again brought terrorism and Islamic extremism to the forefront of international relations. According to newly released data that the Pew Research Center collected in 11 countries with significant Muslim populations, people from Nigeria to Jordan to Indonesia overwhelmingly expressed negative views of ISIS.

One exception was Pakistan, where a majority offered no definite opinion of ISIS. The nationally representative surveys were conducted as part of the Pew Research Center’s annual global poll in April and May this year.

In no country surveyed did more than 15% of the population show favorable attitudes toward Islamic State. And in those countries with mixed religious and ethnic populations, negative views of ISIS cut across these lines.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/17/in-nations-with-significant-muslim-populations-much-disdain-for-isis/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Heinz Hynkel posted:

"I det som må ses på som et gedigent nederlag for norske myndigheter og rødgrønne politikeres innvandringspolitikk de siste 50 årene, så viser en nylig undersøkelse blant skoleungdommer på Østlandet at over 25 prosent støtter den muslimske terrorgruppen Islamsk Stat (IS)."
"– Spørsmålene er ikke knyttet til «ISIL» eller den volden organisasjonen utøver, sier Kragset.

– Undersøkelsen viser at det er flere ungdomsskoleelever som støtter Syria-farere. Er det grunn til å tro at vi har en ung generasjon som nå vokser opp med en ny type holdning?

– Nei. Jeg tror dette viser at ungdomsskoleelever ikke er like reflekterte eller har like stor kunnskap om det som skjer i Syria, som videregåendeelever."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
authoritarian measures would do a lot to stop islamic terrorism, i think, but to be effective you'd want to be like china: strict controls on immigration and state control over communications + internet. not sure the pepe boys would be fans of the latter though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i mean it's pretty obvs that islamic civilization was superior at one point, just toggle the economy mapmode in crusader kings II.

constaninople is hard to beat but the muslims have baghdad and granada

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
scientists invented peaceful nuclear power and the atomic bomb

the duality of man

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

935 posted:

Could it be that Islam in the Middle East is going through their dark ages right now, suppressing knowledge and repressing their own people and shunning the advances in the rest of the world? Historically what does it take to bring a region out of a dark age?
funny enough it would mean resurrecting some form of pan-islamic caliphate

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Secular Humanist posted:

Actual terrorist attacks are kind of just part of the problem though. I mean, people get exploded at ariana grande concerts for the same reason women in the middle east have to wear black trash bags everywhere. There are fundamental problems with mainstream islamic ideology that need to be intellectually terminated. Westerners can help by at least trying to support actual reforming muslims, who admittedly are not very visible due to the whole "constant threat of being decapitated" thing, instead of opportunistic theocrats like linda sarsour who exploit our good nature and dupe useful idiots into embracing the hijab out of "solidarity with women" (loving lol). Liberals have completely failed on this topic, which is now a feebly unhot take but is truer than ever.
the left is detached from reality but the main reason i don't think (conservative sunni) islamic/islamist ideology should be terminated is because it's war i think you'll probably lose. better to encourage non-violent forms of islamism. but that's not that different or more conservative than mormons in utah, and mormonism is similar to islam in a lot of ways.

islamism is responding to failure of secular systems to accommodate islamist political participation. keep in mind that secular arab regimes have dished out extreme amounts of violence against non-violent islamist movements like the muslim brotherhood -- to the point of massacring them in egypt after the military coup.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Luxury Communism posted:

Actually, I think "Islam: At least we aren't the Mormons" could be a very effective branding strategy.
if you were just going by the text, the book of mormon is warhammer 40,000. jesus comes back and he's pissed. the good guys do a lot of smiting.

but the real similarity between them is how mormonism and islam relate to political power: joseph smith wanted to form a state. commenters at the time referred to smith as a "modern mahomet," because smith like muhammad were both visited by angels. they both added new books to the bible. they both reject the trinity. they're conservative in dress. and in the early days of mormonism they clashed with the U.S. government and massacred people, and got massacred themselves.

DrPlump posted:

It is a complete minstrel show that only exist because why people offer meager funding towards it. Reformist Islam has no mainstream support from any Muslim nation. Meanwhile the Saudis are funding all sorts of cut off their clits extremist groups all over the world.
you're correct -- reformist islam does not if you mean maajid nawaz's kind of islam. but violent salafi jihadism doesn't have mainstream support from any muslim nation. but those are not the only two options. there are non-violent conservative forms of islamism that have more support -- and that's ultimately where i think the future is.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agag posted:

Mormons? Hell no.
they're pretty friendly

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agag posted:

What makes you think the West could do any of these things, or influence Islam in any predicable way? It seems like all we can do is kill people and see if that helps. (It doesn't seem to help)
:shrug:

i actually have no clue, except to say the West can more easily shape political factors than religious ones. in any case, i live in texas where there's a sizable muslim population that is pretty conservative, but it doesn't seem to have the same social and integration problems that some other places are facing. the worst ISIS recruit to radicalize from my town was actually a convert and a wealthy son of a physician, who became one of ISIS' top ideologues (another wealthy son of a physician to come from here is richard spencer lol). and i wonder why that is. but it's relatively easy here to get a job, a house, and to practice your religion in private. i might be wrong but it seems alright. basically, it's a good place if you want to live a conservative, family-oriented lifestyle.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Uhh, the first thing people ask when somethign like thsi happens is "who did it?" That's like question one for any sort of murder or attack.

Intentionally hiding things just breeds distrust of the media and opens the door for mistrust and misinformation.

The MSM has gotten complacent and lazy with their borderline monopoly and closed-off system. It thinks that since the public has no choice, they don't even have to try to gain the public's trust. But this isn't true and the more frantically they spew exaggerations and overblown BS the worse things are goign to get. The worst case scenario being something like what you see in places like China, where nobody trusts the government or news media, and ridiculous rumors spread like wildfire since any official denial just makes people believe it even more.
streisand effect

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

We keep getting mass shootings because our institutions and workplaces treat people like poo poo and Americans are atomized and miserable. The only reason we don't have more ISIS shootings vs. mass shootings is that Americans have become so poisoned culturally that they have no communitarian values left and without any accessible political or political/religious ideology they just sort of randomly lash out
i agree. which is why political/religious ideologies are so attractive. the mass shooters are often thinking in similar terms to ISIS terrorists (and are sometimes both). and the process that makes elliot rodger think he's going to create the apocalypse by murdering random college students is a similar mindset to the omar mateen guy in orlando.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 23, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Secular Humanist posted:

I know my av confuses things sometimes but I *am* a liberal just fyi. And it's not that I think american conservatism is more supportive in a genuine sense, but they do kind of end up being the supportive party from the perspective of muslim reformers. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is relegated to fox news for some mind boggling reason. Liberals have seemingly left her out in the cold, meanwhile bernie is tweeting about "standing with linda", who has publically smeared virtually every reform muslim with any influence in western media, while singing the praises of sharia law no less. Both sides are confused on Islam and the reason I'm hard on the left is because they're the ones actively supporting the worst elements of it (usually, probably always, unwittingly). The left has no balls to speak honestly about it, so it creates a vacuum for genuine anti-muslim biggots like pam gellar to swoop in and kick the fear mongering into full gear.
yeah i agree and think that liberal orgs like the SPLC including reformers like ayaan hirsi ali and maajid nawaz on the list of "anti-muslim extremists" is ridiculous. and the result is that it does what you say it does.

i disagree with nawaz though, because i think a society can only be truly liberal if it allows individuals to express their own illiberalism (as long as it's legal). and if we must tolerate illiberal versions of political expressions (say with self-described communists or fascists) then we should also tolerate religious versions. so sam harris saying that a liberal society should force people to be liberal / secular -- that often doesn't work out very well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Agag posted:

Ali literally said Islam needs to be destroyed. Nawaz owes his whole career to Sam Harris, who thinks Islam needs to be destroyed for science.
ayaan hirsi ali is obnoxious and says crazy poo poo all the time. i don't think any muslims listen to her despite her promotional image as some leading figure. but casting her out so she only appears on The Blaze or wherever isn't going to help. she's just going to find a ready audience of people who will never challenge her.

The Landstander posted:

Nawaz is a pretty big free speech guy, though - I can even recall him defending that nut Anjem Choudary on a legal basis. He's very much about "intellectually destroy Islamism (which is separate from "Islam")" as a thing - take it or leave it - but I haven't really heard him say to shut down wacky Islamist groups in Britain and stuff.

I've read some of Shadi Hamid's responses to Nawaz's framework, which is in line with what you seem to be saying fwiw, it's an interesting argument - though I'm very much on the outside of it. The term "Islamism" itself seems to have gotten much more of a foothold in the dialogue in the past few years, which seems good.
ah i stand corrected. looks like nawaz opposes burka bans, as well. that's cool.

and yeah i've deffo been reading shadi hamid -- you spotted it

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 23, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Secular Humanist posted:

Lol "proven fraud". You sure know a lot about her, and no doubt research her in good faith.

And linda sarsour literally advocates for sharia law in western society. I dont really feel like splitting hairs about what "theocrat" means to you. She wants her dumb religion to control other people.
what does she mean by sharia law though

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lsarsour/status/460997541925244928

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Secular Humanist posted:

so she is either insanely ignorant of her own religion or is a huge obscurantist? possibly both?
i know, it's a crazy thought, but what if sharia isn't a body of codified law but a hodgepodge of different practices that are subject to tons of different interpretations contested and debated constantly by muslims.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

de_dust posted:

I'm starting to think that a religion started by a desert dwelling caravan raider may not be compatible with modern Western civilization.
but in the coming post-apocalypse, accept no substitutes

Snatch Duster posted:

There is a fundamental difference between Jesus and Muhammad.

One was a warlord that preached conversion through conquest

The other died on a cross to save his people.

To not acknowledge these differences is disingenuous at best.
there is a difference. but then the angel moroni decided to pay the prophet joseph smith a visit and blew up that framework real good

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snatch Duster posted:

Yep. They nice folks but really weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbr8IA1R5DE&t=12s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i mean say what you will about jihad or mormonism, at least they keep people busy and are a way of organizing society. a lot of westerners today are underemployed and fritting away their time on the dole or through playing video games.

but in radical islam? it's all jihad all the time.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my rule for D&D

if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i went into D&D and got brutally pistol-whipped by a makarov wielding communist. he was shouting gibberish. incomprehensible. but i just stood there and took the beating. because ultimately, i don't care about other goons, or even myself. i only care about the posts -- the more extreme the better. and from the beatdown, i was reborn.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af59U2BRRAU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

unpacked robinhood posted:

They probably have a catchall exception for this
the guys with infidel patches and pork-scented bullets in their AR-15s have more faith in the magical talisman powers of pork than muslims do i think. it's forbidden to eat pork if you're muslim but you don't go to hell if you come into contact with it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/edwest/status/867255762271305729

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

And then there's male feminists, hoo boy. A lot of them are huge creeps who wind up being rapists. I would NOT trust guys like that, folks.
i've known people like this. one person i know, the most left-wing radical person i know, would be ultra-feminist but also act out sexually a lot. hire prostitutes. extremely anti-racist, which might sound good but it was this interrogatory kind of thing: what do you mean you didn't see 12 years a slave? it's the kind of anti-racism that is dogmatic and contradictory to a point that it's impossible for anyone to live up to; he had a right-wing authoritarian father in law enforcement who i've heard make watermelon jokes. so it's rebellion but if you also grow up in that environment, you're going to have a lot of latent racist feelings buried in there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Snatch Duster posted:

"Huurrr. What about the Crusades?"

the crusade battles is missing the 1204 sacking of constantinople when the catholics got antsy and decided to give those byzantines the what-for

and a few other ones

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
give spain back to the moors!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OA_TU_XD0

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wow, poland, beacon of civilization

poland

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

afeelgoodpoop posted:

wow just as i thought.... a mentally ill man attacked by idiot tuff boys. can't wait to see what his "victims" look like.
https://twitter.com/ThornCoyle/status/868526848694558720

https://twitter.com/digiphile/status/868647470804422656

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the problem for the right-wing activists doing these "free speech rallies" is that they're unorganized and directionless like occupy wall street. the purpose of a "free speech" rally is just to rally, like how to "occupy" became just about occupying while being divorced from any real goals. you've had your rally -- now what? have another rally! meanwhile, a bunch of conflicting interest groups on the fringe right have piled onto it, like how every left-wing showboat issue had to have a slice of occupy.

if that wasn't bad enough, the aura of violence has been attracting dangerous people who are showing up precisely because there's an opportunity for violence, similar to the crazies and drug addicts who started showing up to occupy camps. and while the protest groups claim the crazies are not "one of us" they're still acting as a lightning rod for them. if they put away the sticks, batting helmets and american flag shields, it'd just be bougie pro-trump rallies; so they can't do that.

and in both cases, you can be sure tim pool will be there livestreaming it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 28, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's a pretty common reaction from parents who have lost their children to killers and is part of the grieving process. Holding on to anger at the killer prevents the process of accepting the loss of a loved one and adapting to a life without them.

Dongattack posted:

"We will forgive that terrorist SO HARD! Everything is solved by forgiveness and understanding :sludgepal:"

Muslims: "blow up more children lol, they seem to like it"
Watch the video. They never used the word "forgive."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Luxury Communism posted:

Any adult male who is an unironic Ariana Grande fan is more suspect than an anime avatar imho
Fact: I had never even heard of Ariana Grande until a terrorist attacked her concert. Just 90s eurobeat and grating, unpopular industrial music for good ol' Brutalist McDonalds over here

• Locked thread