Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So, for the OP, "Desi - CYOW/CYQT, ATPL, FI, FII, MEI, Mitsubishi MU2"

Speaking of the MU2, there was a bit of an interest in the plane when I got the gig, thought I'd follow up now that I've got about ~150 hours on type. For one, I can say without a doubt, I don't know jack at 150 on type and this is after receiving top notch training and flying with some of the highest time MU2 pilots in the world as my captains. This thing is one hell of a machine that is an awesome medevac platform. I came in with 1700TT and 600MPIC and all that counted for effectively jack, as this plane is, in a word, humbling. It is an extremely high performance (in its class) and unstable airplane that demands constant and active monitoring and flying. If you rest for a minute, or get lazy with your scan for just a second, you will see the consequences immediately. If you have an emergency and are not prepared or well trained enough to handle it.... well, the airplane's accident history can address that. But if you respect the machine and fly it precisely and by the book you get incredible performance. We fly these things flat-out per SOPs and as a result are usually cruising up to FL280 over 300kts GS and I've seen just over 400 on occasion. We can hold 250kts to the 10 mile fix, haul the power back, dirty it up, and put it onto a remote gravel strip in a reserve hundreds of miles from civilization (look up CYPO and CYER) without breaking a sweat. On the flip side, we pick up our patients and bring them into dense airspace and mega-airports such as CYYZ, CYOW, CYTZ, and the like, where we can mesh into the flow of traffic without issue - heck, coming back into our base I've heard Q400's being told on multiple occasions to "keep your speed up as long as safely able, you're being followed by a medevac Mitsubishi that is gaining."

Suffice to say, I'm having fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

AWSEFT posted:

Have a great buddy whose dad owned an MU2. He always tells me how awesome an airplane it is and how much he likes it. Years later he told me it was the MU2 that killed his dad.

Something about the how the engine pulled itself to idle, on an approach, because of a faulty ITT sensor. Even with all of his experience it dragged him into the ground.

That being said, I now pilot an airplane shaped computer. A computer that can (and has) killed people.

Yeah engine outs in this thing are no joke, but manageable with practice/training, hence why the accident rate went down so much after the SFAR/Type Rating. You have multiple things going against you in a low-level engine failure. The wing, for one, is tiny, so in order to be able to land at sane speeds they put massive flaps that increase the surface area by 40%; if you retract them immediately as part of your engine failure drill as we are all taught, well you just dumped a massive amount of lift. Conversely if you leave them down, that is a huge amount of drag for one good engine to overcome. So the solution is a new engine failure drill that sets minimum airspeeds for flap retraction from 40/20/5. Similarly, 40 flap approach speeds are well under Vmc, so there has also been a shift in training to just do higher-speed flap-20 approaches to mitigate this. Even in this new higher-speed configuration we can stop on a 3,000' strip without breaking a sweat. Oh and then there is the whole issue of roll-spoilers to add into the mix - don't roll unless you absolutely have to until you've got your airplane cleaned up after an engine failure so as to not destroy much needed lift. So yeah, its weird and squirly and engine-outs need to be practiced.

SCOTLAND posted:

Just curious if they ever fixed or reinstalled the autopilots? Also coming in with that much mpic is great, I couldn't upgrade on the mu2 so I got moved to the king air instead after a year or so.

Yep, all 5 MU2s have functional autopilots. They're not very good but they do work. I find most of the time its easier to just hand-bomb the thing. How long ago did you work here? It's utterly insane up here right now and they cannot staff the airplanes as nobody that has 500mpic is looking for a job. I'm toying with the idea of leaving for the regionals or just asking for a big sack of money to stay a year.

Desi fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 16, 2017

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

KodiakRS posted:

6am check orals suck. On the plus side I'm pretty sure the examiner is so tired that's could tell him our fuel tanks hold 10,392lbs of bananas and he wouldn't notice.

My CL-65 type ride was last week from 1am-6am...

On that note, I got a new job since I last posted. No more bombing around Northern Ontario in an MU2, I'll now be exploring the eastern United States from my YYZ base in the (relative) comfort of a CRJ200!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

vessbot posted:

Hey I was in YYZ just today in a CRJ200. However I'm just far enough from my turboprop days to be a professional complainer of its discomforts.

Congrats!

Hah, 25 hours in and I'm starting to find some things to complain about. For example, I have yet to find a way to look cool climbing into the flight deck.

MrChips posted:

Jees, that was a pretty loving quick transition from A to B to C, well done!

Yep, 4 months. I mean I was having fun and the company was great, but I was miserable in YQT. I'm a much more YYZ type of person.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
This discussion is so much easier and/or depressing on the Canadian side depending on how you look at it. Junior regional base? YYZ. Senior? YYZ. Mainline? YYZ. Corporate? YYZ. Basically, as an airline pilot in Canada, you're probably going to spend a chunk of your career in Toronto as the YUL/YVR/YYC bases some airlines have are hilariously small.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Speaking of CRJ-200s... Day 3 stuck in STL for an AOG. CrewSked wants to keep me here to ferry the thing back to base... eventually. The rest of the crew is getting deadheaded out as they're into days off and keeping them here is expensive. I'm running out of Netflix.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

KodiakRS posted:

We had them in our Seminoles. There were two types of pilots, those of us who would start them on the ground so we could find out if they were going to start a fire before we got airborne and those who would start them in the air because the company claimed it reduced the chances of a fire.

That was probably the first "gently caress the company I don't wanna die" choice I ever made.

Heh I did the exact same thing when I was an MEI. I remember one particularly cold morning when we turned it on and got a massive plume of smoke from under the nose that didn't go away immediately when we killed the heater. I shouted "MAGS, MIXTURE, MASTER, LETS GET THE gently caress OUT" to my student and backseat observer student. Turned out to be oil or some poo poo in the combustion chamber somehow but I stand by my bailout decision because gently caress that deathtrap. I also realized that because of the Piper one-door situation that I, the "Captain" of the vessel, had to be the first man off the ship. Made me feel qualified to be an Italian cruise ship skipper :dance:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

It was certainly a lot of work. I feel like there's a difference between the Canadian and US regulations and standards, because although it was a lot of work, I don't feel it was difficult or tricky in the way a lot of American pilots have said.

In a way I felt like the flight test was less stressful than any of the others I've done. It was built around actually teaching a lesson (plus some other randomly-chosen exercises) after being told where the "student" is in their training, so it felt a lot more like a flight that would actually happen, instead of a CPL flight test which is an amalgamation of all the situations that might happen on any given flight.

Canada, the rating is easier but you are effectively an "apprentice" still as a Class 4. America, the rating is harder, but you're on your own. For some context for our freedom-lovin' friends, in the land of Maple Syrup we start as a Class 4 Instructor and must work for a school and be closely supervised by a Class 1 or 2. After 3 solos and 3 successful flight tests you become a Class 3 and can work with minimal-to-no supervision. After 10 flight tests (no solo requirement, but an hour requirement I forget) you can do a written exam and a ride and become a Class 2 and start supervising. After another exam, more hours, and a ride you can become a Class 1 and teach Class 4 Initials. Each step typically comes with a significant pay raise. I bailed on instructing as a Class 2 despite having the hours to go Class 1 because I was just way too done with instructing after 1500 hours of Dual Given.

Interestingly, there is a mass shortage of Class 1 and 2 instructors now as everyone seems to be jumping to better jobs straight from Class 4 or 3. I've gotten some unsolicited but impressive job offers that I'm in no way interested in. I have a friend who decided to become a career instructor (he's a crazy person) and is running a flight school for $120k+ despite having like maybe 5-6 years experience

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

AWSEFT posted:

SFU study busts myth about facial hair on pilots

Only up to 25k. I don't see any US carriers or the FAA moving on this.

Weird that its making news now. I fly for an AC Express Carrier and have been rocking a beard for just under 18-months. Policy went into effect around the same time as Mainline.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrYenko posted:

Centers can (and frequently do) have frequency cross-coupling turned on, which as an example repeats frequency A onto frequency B and vice-versa. Sometimes these freqs aren’t co-located, which effectively repeats your transmissions over a wider area. This is mostly done when sectors are combined, so that aircraft transmitting can hear each other, and reduce stepping all over each other.

Canadian Centers do this as a default I'm pretty sure, while most American Centers I've dealt with do not. It gets irritating as hell only hearing one side of the conversation. What really makes me roll my eyes is when you get a controller who makes a comment like "y'all are stepping on each other, one at a time!" when I'm clearly the only one I can hear trying to check on... sorry I can't hear a frequency I'm not tuned to?

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Funny we're having this discussion about time-over-fixes, I just saw a memo our company put out about YYZ Approach implementing such a procedure for the early morning arrivals before the lifting of the 07:30LT arrival curfew. Early morning arrivals will be assigned a time to cross over one of the "bedpost" fixes on the various STARs that is to be followed +/- 2min. If you are early, you hold; late, you rock on through at max forward speed. Apparently we'll be getting the times through our company either printed on the OFP or via ACARS.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

I always say the 200 is just as unpleasant to fly as it is to ride in.

Can’t wait until it’s behind me.

The 200 is a piece of poo poo... but its MY piece of poo poo!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

Ooph.

In landing news, I rolled a 700 on after not having flown one since September. Even remembered the brakes are touchy and didn’t slam anyone into the tray tables. V proud of myself.

Related: The 700 shits on a 200 so hard.

Slats are a crutch. Hard Wing master race. The -200 is the pinnacle of aircraft engineering. Fight me.

Serious note though, Canadian regional industry is going through a bit of a shuffle. The mothership just put forward a proposal to move the 14 CRJ1/2s from my poo poo tier regional to the much more established regional, as well as extend contracts and buy new airplanes and poo poo. The better regional has offered us all jobs with seniority protection which is incredible, but I definitely won't have the seniority for the left seat or possibly even the jet out of YYZ base. All of this is predicated on said better regional airline's pilots agreeing to a 17-year extension to their contract. Apparently poo poo's not going well, and rumours are abound about what the mothership's Plan B is. So basically, my life is :kingsley: right now. Ah the airline industry...

Desi fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

vessbot posted:

I dunno, everyone always talks about the weirdness and whatnot of landing the 200, but for me it came much easier. It was my first variant and I took to it like a duck to water. After switching to "the heavy," it took me a bunch of months to get consistent.

edit: but only recently it dawned on me that our 900's GPWS doesn't say the heights below 50, whereas the 200s say "thirty, twent, ten..." so that may have something to do with it too.

I flew the MU2 before I started on the deuce and had to relearn to flare. The MU2 would come in reasonably nose up while the 200 behaves a lot more like a 172 with the nose-down-dont-pile-drive-it-into-the-ground attitude. Interesting about the callouts. I once had to land a 200 without them, as one rad alt was deferred and the other one crapped out in flight. You forget how much you rely on that thing til its gone. I find I'm doing finesse changes almost with ever 10' callout. Fun side note, with no radalt signal, your GLDs dont go up. So float-float-float, then poo poo pull the speedbrakes on rollout. Good times.

e.pilot posted:

No need to fight you if you’re in a 200, I’ll climb 1500fpm+ to cruise and fly away at 0.83.

And the packs system will actually keep me comfortable while doing it. :c00lbert:

Next you're going to try and tell me that you can keep the wings warm at idle thrust, like some miracle plane.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

hobbesmaster posted:

Please tell me this was intentional.

Yes it was. That crash defines the -200. From a lack of performance whilst being empty, the two douches flying it, everything.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Sitting here, waiting for the results from a vote at a rival airline to come in that will decide if I still have a job or not. Nobody ever said airline life was going to be stable, that's for sure.

Although serious kudos to ALPA even if this thing doesn't go through. They negotiated for all of us at the regional that would close to be brought on at the bigger-better regional AND arrange seniority/pay protection for us all. I may not be able to hold a Captain position, but I'll be the highest paid regional FO on the continent. I'm fairly sure this is unprecedented outside of a merger situation.

Desi fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 31, 2019

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

hobbesmaster posted:

It looks like the CRJ-705 has a forward lav but its actually a CRJ-900?

CRJ-705 was basically to Jazz/Air Canada what the CRJ-550 is to GoJet/United. It was, for all intents and purposes, a CRJ-900 but with one seat removed and certified under a different type as the Air Canada scope limit was at 75 seats. When that scope was relaxed, each plane was promptly shipped back to Bombardier to be re-typed as a CRJ-900 and as such the CRJ-705 is no more. I expect the exact same thing would happen if United is able to get their scope limits relaxed.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

quote:

The observer was a licensed commercial pilot with type rating for Beech King Air planes. He was in the process of obtaining a type rating for Embraer jets and had accumulated 64 hours of simulator time.

Homeboy had 64 hours in the sim for his initial?! I mean, my airline is known for having a particularly poo poo training department so maybe I'm a little skewed, but we got 5 x 4hr sessions plus a ride so 24 hours total. So he was either poo poo at it, or the airline likes torturing pilots.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

Me but I’m INS with DME/DME RNAV master race. :c00lbert:

CRJs only have GPS for RNAV, those CRTs are awful. I’m so glad to not be flying them anymore, doubly so this week.

#notallCRJs

I fly CRJ 100/200s and our entire fleet has Dual IRS, DME-DME, and 1 or 2 GPS. We were able to do RNAVs just fine during the Great-GPS-Outage-2019 but kept getting Radial/DMEs because SkyWest's birds aren't able to GPS-less RNAV and ATC assumed our gend... uh... capabilities.

It was pretty fun actually. Blast from the past. I'm not even that old but got to old-guy-rant with FOs who blank stared at me after accepting a radial/dme clearance.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

vessbot posted:

Radial/dme clearance, as in direct to that fix? I got a few of those the other day and the controller quipped "old school," and I didn't wanna congest the frequency by explaining that not really, we can only do that using our degraded RNAV, and if it was true VOR only navigation he'd have to vector us onto a radial intercept first.

I don't know if that's what he really meant in this case, but I've had times before (in a VOR only airplane, filed as such) where they unequivocally thought that I could do that. "But that's an intersection of 2 VOR radials, and you've got 2 of those onboard, don't you?"

It was Cleveland Center who gave us a reroute as we were approaching the YQO VOR as filed, "After Aylmer (YQO) proceed to Aylmer 270 at 59, then direct Detroit (DXO) VOR." There was a way to punch it into the FMS but I couldn't remember at the moment so Tune/Green-Needles/ID then fly til the DME said 59 it was...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So 8 years and 7 months after I did my first ever flying lesson (because maybe having a PPL would be neat) I've got an interview scheduled with a major legacy airline (the big red maple leaf).

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Arson Daily posted:

Goongrats and good luck!

PT6A posted:

Congratulations!

e.pilot posted:

:confuoot:

Thanks, all! Now I just have to not screw it up! Crazy that I've been in this same thread (albeit not super active) since my first days flying, now here we are!

Potato Salad posted:

When did you know that professional piloting was what you wanted to do?

I'll try and TL;DR a long story. Basically I always wanted to fly but come from a fairly working class family. Coming out of high school, a local college flight program or going away for a government subsidized college flight program was just not feasible. Instead I went with Plan B, politics, and started driving my father's taxi at night to pay for a degree in Political Science. I was actually fairly successful in that world, starting off as a volunteer intern and finishing off as a non-political adviser to two different Prime Ministers. But after a few years, I was bored. I started to learn to fly originally just for the heck of getting a PPL and then the bug caught. Picked up a CPL, tried to join the RCAF, and then became an instructor all while still working for the feds. I was actually fortunate enough to be able to take a one-year unpaid leave of absence to work as an instructor while having a safety net, but really, about 6mo into that LOA, the bug had fully set in and I started planning an exit strategy to fly full time. Moved to teach Multi and IFR, then moved again to do a stint flying Air Ambulance in the north, then finallly got a job flying the mighty CRJ200. One year as an FO, then one year as CA, and we're at today where I've been given a shot at the Big Red Machine!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Two Kings posted:

Nice work Comrades! The Soviet Sully.

Comrade Sulski! :ussr:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Rolo posted:

Work wants me to do CLT-MIA-CLT on Wednesday morning.

OK YEAH.

Last year during whatever hurricane hit RDU the mothership cancelled everything our regional had planned in and out of there. One day I noticed an OFP on our system for a flight for a flight into RDU. Hm. Curious. Hurricane is dying but still pretty fierce. Who the hell is the skipper on this leg?! Oh, yep, crazy old resident middle-aged Russian guy. I asked him later WTF and he just said "Give me gas for far alternate, I try." Crazy fucker was allegedly one of the first airliners to land back at RDU after they partially reopened. Apparently there were like 3 people on that flight. :ussr:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So I work for a smaller poo poo-tier regional. But you know what - hardship breeds a camaraderie between the pilots/FAs/mechanics. We've got good people. We had a party where one of our favourite line mechanic's truck got broken into and $3-4k worth of tools were stolen. Within less than 24 hours we have raised $3,200 for him to replace them with small $10-100 donations. Warms my cold, dead, heart.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
A few days ago I signed an offer from Big Red, you know, the Major from up north with a big ole' maple leaf on the tail. Late January start. I'm still in a bit of shock that its time...

I did my Intro Flight just about 9 years ago "just for fun," became a part-time flight instructor "as a hobby," and eventually decided to abandon my reasonably successful career to give aviation a go about 4 years ago. At the time, I said to myself "in 10 years I will look back on this as the smartest, or the stupidest, thing I've ever done." Never did I imagine I'd be here so soon. What a ride it's been though. I've taught more people than I can count to fly. I've cashed <$20 paycheques. I've flown a plane known as the "widowmaker" (the MU2) on MEDEVAC missions, I've had "wtf am I doing with my life" moments thousands of miles from anyone or thing I care about. I've been able to fly and then Captain an RJ around the continent. And I've made some downright legendary friends along the way.

I'm being a bit sappy, sue me, but this whole thing started when I was bored in my cubicle one day and Googled "[local] flight schools." And now I'm on the eve of starting the job I dreamed of as a kid. I've been in this thread more or less since the beginning, at times more active than others, but all y'all were part of the ride!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

CBJSprague24 posted:

So, with everything I've seen/heard about still needing a chunk of time to get on at a regional in :canada: (especially watching the people on Ice Pilots try to do it Buffalo Joe's way)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxFhKo7sYWM&t=118s

...how in the hell did she get to Sunwing in 2-3 years?

Its really nothing as nefarious as the others has suggested. She says it herself - Cadet Program. A couple of the airlines in Canada, Jazz and Sunwing specifically, have been experimenting with picking the top x-number of students every year out of Seneca College and pumping them through a type rating and sticking them online with extra monitoring and mentorship. Plenty of white dudes going through that program too. I'm not the biggest fan of the program personally, as I don't think the academics and the airline training provided these candidates matches the calibre of the European model its based on but it seems to have not failed yet and its been going on a couple years. Actually if I'm honest, Seneca produces the most boring pilots to work with - all they have to talk about is flying; Canadian ERAU basically.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
In other Airbus related news... I got assigned the A330 at the Big Maple Leaf about a week ago. Deep into the books but I keep waiting for them to realize they've made a mistake. I drew a seniority number so low in my class I was convinced I'd be getting the E190 but apparently I had "significant jet time" (compared to my class of Dash drivers I guess?) and I got put into it out of seniority order due to a weird clause whereby the company can overrule seniority for the newhire class for operational needs. Hey, not complaining. Lookout Europe, here I come!

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Rolo posted:

I had someone tell me yesterday that the bus is great because the yoke doesn’t get in the way of your cheesecake.

I've been using a similar saying but making it a bit more French. "The lack of a yoke ensures flying doesn't get in the way of eating your Creme Brulee".

PT6A posted:

Congratulations, that’s loving awesome! I’m sure they took a look at the MU-2 time in your logbook, double-checked to make sure you’re not dead, and reached the conclusion this guy knows what he’s doing

That's basically the North American aviation training system in a nutshell, no? The Europeans/Asians put you through the wringer in the classroom and stick you on a narrowbody. In NA? "Oh poo poo, youve survived 250hrs? Here's a CPL" ... "Oh poo poo, youve survived 1,500hrs? Here's an RJ" .... "Oh poo poo, youve survived (mystery number)hrs? Heres a mainliner"

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

KodiakRS posted:

Well it looks like those of us in the 121 world are probably not getting furloughed* until October, thanks american tax payers!

*Assuming ceo's don't reject it because of the provisions the grants/loans require. Also, assuming you don't work for CPZ or AX in which case: You poor bastard, you have my condolences.

Here's hoping the Canadian bailout has the same clause. Crazy how I went from ontop of the world a few short weeks ago to getting a furlough notice...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
And furlough cancelled! Well, deferred, as part of the Canadian Federal Government's wage subsidy program! I mean, 75% of my meager first year flat pay is not optimal, but beggers can't be choosers. Beats unemployment. Keeps me on benefits. Continue to accrue time to step up to the next pay step. No idea if I'll have to switch birds in the upcoming mass shuffle of an equipment bid but I think I'm safe on the A330. I'll definitely complain slightly less about paying my taxes next year :canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-hiring-wage-subsidy-1.5525926

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrChips posted:

That's got to be a real relief, for sure. The company I work at has all but shut down, my last day of work was the 16th of March, and we just got layoff notice today officially. I'm gonna be fine in the short term, I did what all the old salts tell you and had an emergency cash fund of a year's worth of expenses, plus I am eligible for CERB as well, so that's gonna help.

In the meantime, I'm just going to try to stay positive, get some exercise, cook some new things and drill myself on French, since I figure that being at least conversant would be an asset if/when Little and/or Big Maple Leaf and The Other Guys start hiring again. Between the end of this pandemic and then, well...I will worry about that when the time comes.

My dumb rear end tapped my emergency fund for a downpayment on a YYZ condo last year and has only partially replenished it so I'm pretty stoked about the CEWS and CERB. Legit proud of how the government (both federal and provincial) are handling this whole mess.

As for the French, its an asset for sure, but from what I can gather nobody really cares when it comes to the pilots. I'm like, somewhat bilingual. My french improves the more I drink, but even sober me can get do PAs in French, and literally nobody seems to care at all.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

I love how every aviation authority has turf wars and wildly different procedures between different regions/offices. Somehow it's comforting knowing it's not just Transport Canada.

From my instructor days, friggen TC has different interpretations of instrument time between regional offices. :bang:

The Canadian regs only require you to log the flight rules under which the flight was conducted, not the meteorological conditions. Ontario Region, correctly IMO, lets you log every minute of an IFR flight for the purposes of licenses/ratings. Quebec I believe was okay with air time. Prairie and BC I think wanted a drat stopwatch everytime you were in and out of clouds. I used to teach at a well known Ontario IFR mill that had students from around the country. It was a regulatory shitshow.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

TC gave me the go-ahead to e-mail them all my poo poo for my instructor rating upgrade!

At least when this poo poo is all over I won't have to deal with class 4 supervision requirements (if I still have a job...)

The job of a Class 3 instructor is an order of magnitude better than Class 4, albeit still pretty lovely. By now you have a reasonable idea of how to teach and don't need someone constantly micromanaging your poo poo, so its nice to have the powers-that-be back off a bit. That being said, don't be afraid to keep using those resources. I did some time as a Class 2 and was always more than happy to have frank closed-door conversations, offer second opinions, or even go on non-required supervisory flights if and when the situation warranted - but it would be up to the Class 3 to ask, I wasn't going to insert myself into your business the same way as I did with the Class 4s. Plus you're a shitton more marketable if you do get laid off.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

My province has announced plans to start re-opening things.

Ontario? The not-a-plan leaves a lot to be desired...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Alberta.

I was making fun of Ontario because, hey, we may have elected a moron, but he's not as bad as Doug Ford.

But he is, in fact, worse.

Tell 'em you guys will burn 100% Grade A Alberta Beef AvGas and you'll be at the top of the list! And yeah, colour me surprised that the former hash dealer brother of the former crack smoking mayor of Toronto Doug freakin' Ford is handling this thing better than most of the continent. Yeah I'm antsy for details on how/when we reopen, but compared to some of the dumpster fire governments we have around, you know what, won't complain.

On a side note, I've got a lead on an instructing job as soon as schools reopen. From regional Captain, to mainline widebody FO in training, back to flight instructing. Man, these last two months hit hard :bang:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

The Slaughter posted:

Holy gently caress, even when I knew a yuug displacement bid was coming today, I didn’t expect just under 5000 pilots.

I am so hosed. At least I have to October 1st but this is like a bandaid being ripped off slowly. Godspeed goons, the pilot shortage sure didn’t last long.
I think I’m gonna have to start applying for jobs outside aviation sadly if nobody calls soon.

Welcome to the furlough squad, Star Alliance bro. I've got leads on instructing jobs but most likely will leave aviation til I get the call back to Mapleflot. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to take a lovely flying job - my eventual position back to the Big Show is guaranteed so my resume doesn't matter, and I can probably make more money as a trucker or something when compared to the poo poo-tier flying jobs. Plus I no longer have any interest in lovely life-risking positions in the north.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Animal posted:

This is what I would do if I was on furlough from one of the majors. I would bum around doing whatever gigs pay the bills. If I were single and debt free, now would be a good time to backpack. Do you keep your travel benefits?

We do for 12 months with some limitations, namely no flight deck and nothing reciprocal (JS, ZED). I was thinking the same thing, but my dumb rear end bought a condo so now I have mortgage payments. I may see if I can rent it out and go live on a beach in the Caribbean or in SE Asia when the restrictions start lifting.

CBJSprague24 posted:

As I said in a presentation I did for a handful of my company's employees a couple weeks ago, the airline industry ground to a halt, but the clock kept moving. I wonder how many jobs are going to be created by the fact that people are going to hit retirement age whether they fly or not (assuming those pilots don't go for a buyout or early retirement).

We had about 200 of the old-boys take early retirement, out of a total group of about 4,500 so call it a 4.5% staffing reduction off the top of the list. Apparently that was about ~80% of the guys that were eligible for it. My glass half-full view is that this may help us as things ramp back up, as the retirement wave has been accelerated. We were also very understaffed by about 900 (20%) going into this so things are lining up for a decent recovery timeline given we only need to get back to 75.5% of where we were before.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

The Slaughter posted:

Unfortunately, United isn't huge on early retirements and haven't offered it yet. We'll see if any even get offered. As for the retirement situation, there are some but not as many as you'd think. 218 more this year, 420 next year, 420 the year after that, 498 the year after that. December 2025 still only gets us to 2016 retirements. When you just displaced 4500 pilots, wellllllllll...... we hit 4561 retirements in Dec 2028.
I'm thinking this is a 5 year furlough for me, but that depends on the recovery curve, what they decided to do with the max, if they decide to bring any 757s back into service or 767s as international recovers....

That's a raw deal. To be fair our union guys had to agree to 55 hour blocks and in exchange we got the early retirement packages and a cap of 600 furloughs til September (the deal was signed early March). Not to beat on the optimism drum too much in these lovely times, but there are some wildcards out there - Cargo has been huge for us. They ripped the seats out of 6 widebodies and are hauling a monumental amount of cargo. Combined with the belly-freight only flights, something like 20+ freighters a day. There was a conga line of 4 triples into NRT and PVG alone the other day. They pulled off SYD-YYZ non-stop on an 87. I wouldn't put it past UA to start going after Atlas/Kalitta/etc's lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

ausgezeichnet posted:

A friend of mine gave me access to the SWA pilots forum a million years ago and I check it it once in a while. It is mostly a MAGA wank-fest and yes, there is a Plandemic thread that currently has 69 posts about how the Gubmint conspiracy... Michael Flynn... Deep State... you get the picture. Not exclusively restricted to Boomer posters, though.

Well its good do know that the crazy boomer pilot airline-specific forums go south of the border too. Dear god some of these guys are so out of touch - if I have to hear one more old dude tell me all about how he knows about that furlough life because he got laid off from the DC3 in nineteen-dickety-four I may snap. Even at 14% their mortgage payments were a fraction of todays. And we're paid less today than they were then... Don't even get me started on the armchair epidemiologists.

I'm seriously thinking of stirring up the pot by going over there and proposing to the group that we quarantine all the pilots over 50, you know, for their protection. Us young'ns will look out for ya. Need to acquire a bowl of popcorn to watch the shitshow that would unleash :banjo:

/rant

Sagebrush posted:

my last logbook entry is March 9th

January 26th over here, and I allegedly do this for a living. Perfect storm of starting at a new company and some dude eating a bad batch of Bat Soup.

Desi fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 12, 2020