Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Yeah, until you’re a pilot you don’t realize how frequently the weather is poo poo.

Starting my PPL was a huge wake-up call that, hey, there's this giant sky above me and it does lots of weird poo poo all the loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yep, call up the KSQL ATIS right now and hear it for yourself: 650 593 0613

I flew out of RHV with a friend (he was the PIC, obviously) on the weekend. A nice little airport and the flight school syllabus has a run from SQL to RHV through the PAO, NUQ and SJC airspaces as a challenge coming up so I'm looking forward to that. Have you seen the insane website by the insane man who has been trying to get it closed for at least twenty years? http://www.reidhillview.com/

It is getting closed unfortunately.

My solo xc has gotten cancelled 3 times in a row on account of a whole bunch of things. It's frustrating.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did my first solo xc today! I got my flight following and got a bit mixed up between frequencies when I got handed off to approach. All worked out in the end, just asked where I should be.

Fun!

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well I did it y'all, got my license to learn today :)

It's been an incredibly stressful, exhausting, and demanding two weeks of checkride prep as I didn't fly for 3 weeks on account of being on vacation. My checkride date got moved up a week, leaving me with 2 weeks to prepare.

Lots of tears, sleepless nights, and hard work and I finally did it. Feeling more relieved than excited but thrilled that I was able to do it with the support of my instructor, flying community, family, and friends.

On to instrument rating! (After a good break) :)

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any SF Bay Area folk here? Just finished my PPL and itching to get my IR. Couple questions:

- What's a good IR trainer? Been flying 172s and maybe considering switching to DA40s for the fun factor.

- Any suggestions on great CFIIs at KSQL or KPAO? Been doing my training at KHWD but my commute is kinda painful.

- Anyone looking for a safety pilot or in the same boat to get their IR?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

I lost it twice during Private (big whiff of exhaust during slow flight on an already long day, one time too many through Unusual Attitudes on a hot day). Each time, I pulled the mic as far away from my face when I knew it was a matter of time.

Diamond protips:
-DA-40s are a good time until you're flying when it's 85 degrees outside and chug an entire bottle of water upon landing because the cabin's boiling. Pack a hat and a drink if you go on a warm day.
-The seat does not move in that airplane, the seatback is angled, and the pedals only move so far. If you're under about 5'8" or so, you might need a Confidence CushionTM.

Good tips! I've flown a DA40 once with an instructor and can definitely relate to the heat. Not pleasant. But there's something about it that makes me feel like I'm flying a ship from Star Wars so :shrug: haha

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking of heading down to KMRY from KHWD this weekend. Anyone else done this flight and have any tips?

It'll be the first time I park at a Class C airport. I'm assuming I need to call clearance delivery for departure clearance and ground for taxi instructions?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well worst case I'll call up clearance and get told to contact ground, so no big deal haha.

Looking like my flight might not even happen anyways though :(

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ended up making it down to KMRY today. Decided to just land and fly back instead of hanging around. It was a beautiful flight and the clouds cleared up enough to make it.

On the way back, traffic was showing something flying incredibly fast off my left wing. Got a traffic warning from approach that it was a fleet of 4 F35s! Highlight of the trip :)

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Well as a counterpoint/palate cleanser, here is an excerpt from my flight school's statement on the matter:

and we have a custom call sign too and I think it's cool :colbert:

Super impressed with the way that place is handling the entire situation - one of the few statements that makes me feel hopeful and ok.

I never use the custom callsign :(, too used to the N number

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I haven't scheduled mine yet but I'm going to pretty soon. Any trick questions or unexpected stuff?

I used Sporty's and a test review handbook that was useful. Test questions were either straight out of the book or extremely similar.

There's nothing on there that's super weird. The "hardest" part were the questions that require you to measure poo poo out, but I got one of those and it wasn't hard.

tldr; if you've been studying and know your poo poo, you'll pass easily.

EDIT: "know your poo poo" is a dumb way to phrase this and this post could be more helpful.

The test review handbook I used was Jeppesen's Private Pilot Test Guide. It summarizes a lot of the information and has example test questions. I went through the entire book over the course of a week and felt really comfortable.
I used the Sporty's questions to test myself. If you have Sporty's, take the test and once you get their endorsement and/or get a 90, go take the test ASAP.

Don't take too many practice tests - it's easy to see the same question multiple times and get used to the wrong answer. Overall, I ended up taking 3 practice tests (which I believe was enough to get the Sporty's written endorsement, though I just had my CFI endorse me for it anyways) and then took the test a couple days later. Ended up with a 96.

Don't stress about it too much. It's an easy test - you'll do great!

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 5, 2020

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't find one in the thread so I created an Aviation Goons Discord server here: https://discord.gg/dgs64Bg .

Hope to see y'all there - this is one of my favorite threads and it would be shame to lose out in case the forums go down.

EDIT: Previous invite expired - link above should be valid.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 24, 2020

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Can we get a new discord link?

https://discord.gg/FmCNyHq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008