Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I've joked to friends and co-workers that what we need are a handful of people who phone up the airport a thousand times a year to complain that the airplanes aren't loud enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Desi posted:

My CL-65 type ride was last week from 1am-6am...

On that note, I got a new job since I last posted. No more bombing around Northern Ontario in an MU2, I'll now be exploring the eastern United States from my YYZ base in the (relative) comfort of a CRJ200!

Jees, that was a pretty loving quick transition from A to B to C, well done!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Huh, cool. I wonder if there's a Canadian equivalent to that code, I've never seen anything like it in the remarks section of our METARs.

Yeah, we don't really have anything like that in our METARs here, even from the AWOS stations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

How do pilots from other countries react to this stuff when they're flying through the US?

I tell them, "no, we get our news from the government here in Canada", then flick my newspaper and try not to laugh my rear end off as everyone else in the pilot lounge smirks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm confused what a circling approach is. They're set up on the ILS for runway 6, then at the FAF they turn on a DME arc to intercept runway 1 visually?

Meanwhile, these clownshoes managed to not be able to maintain an airspeed for a whole half-hour, and were fighting to maintain altitudes the whole time, too?

A circling approach is used when an airport has an instrument approach, but for whatever reason (weather, airport condition, terrain, etc.) it is not possible or safe to land straight in from the direction you're coming. The idea is you see the airport, fly a low-level circuit to the appropriate runway, and land. Circling approaches are pretty common at smaller or remote airports where there might only be one runway, and they typically have much higher minimums than a standard non-precision or precision approach, which vary based on the speed category of your aircraft (faster aircraft need more room to maneuver, and as such need more protected airspace to complete the maneuver).

Where you break off to circle can be at the final approach fix, or you can go all the way down to the circling minima - it all depends on when you can see the airport.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

In my best :spergin: Airliners.net voice: :spergin:

their airplanes are dirty their uniforms are outdated they fly too many boeings they dont fly enough boeings they have air in their name their name isnt french enough their name is too french

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Usually takes about 6-8 hours to get proficient learning to land on the water.

Or as we say here in Canada, "certified dangerous".

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Jesus Christ this. I have to wear an 1100 dollar noise cancelling headset to not do damage to my ears just to be at work. Airplanes are great!

What?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

you have to think like an Airbus to get it to do what you want.

F/CTL ALTN LAW (PROT LOST)

-ADD COFFEE

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Flying west of 105° W is just the best

:yeah: loving right it is!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

No, it comes down to economies of scale almost entirely. Cessna's production numbers, amongst others, are but a shadow of what they once were. In 2017 Cessna delivered 129 172s. In 1976, they delivered 2047 of them. That's an enormous difference in terms of manufacturing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It's not a universal tradition though. I was never drenched after my first solo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You guys have no idea about uncomfortable aircraft until you fly the Grumman Cougar. That thing was miserable if you were over, say, 5'9" tall (like I am); my head would sit up against the roof, and there was no way at all to adjust the seat height since you were basically sitting on a rail fixed right to the wing spar.

I have no idea how my 6'7" classmate managed to do his multi/multi-IFR ratings, not without extensive visits to a physiotherapist at least...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

LMAO I was just talking to a friend of mine who is an electrician, and he was telling me that yesterday he got an email from Pacific Coastal Airlines asking if he knew any pilots that might be seeking employment.

The sheer desperation of it is hilarious, not the least of which because those scab fuckers poo poo in their own bed and now they have to lie in it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Also when it comes to solo flights, don't just go up there and aimlessly bore holes in the sky. When I went through college there were more than a few students who did that from time to time. Not only is it a waste of your money, you aren't doing yourself any favours for later on when you are building on those skills you should have been practicing. If your program is any bit as structured as the one I went through, your syllabus tell you what is recommended that you should be doing on whichever solo flight you are doing.

Beyond that, you should be briefing with your instructors beforehand in any solo flight, so you can get an idea what they want you to work on, and also to act as a pre-game plan. It's good practice for later in your career too, where all your flights will be briefed to the fullest, without anyone holding your hand necessarily.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Two Kings posted:

I wonder if the French put a very large boot on one of the main landing gear.

When someone seizes an airplane, they typically attach a tug to it, deplane everyone then tow the aircraft to a remote stand. I've seen this happen more than a few times, including when Mexicana shut down,and one of their creditors seized one of their A319s over unpaid bills.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

b) you are deliberately messing with the computer to trick it into doing something abnormal, or

That's basically what an assumed temperature derate is though?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Before or after said turbofan corelocked in a vain attempt to reach four ten baby

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Via Air's Chairman is also a line captain: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-ne-sanford-airport-via-airlines-20181121-story.html

(e- And a former Israeli fighter pilot, as it turns out.)

Call me cynical, but any time I see "central Florida" and "aviation" in the same sentence, my mind immediately and directly goes to "fraud on a massive scale".

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guys if you keep saying his name he will show up like Beetlejuice.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I pretty much hated her. In the dealings I've had with her, I found her to be unpleasant and often downright abusive at times, and I don't care if you're literally god's gift to aviation, that kind of attitude doesn't fly in my book.

Ever since she literally suggested when I was doing my multi-IFR ride that it would be a good idea to use maps blocking the windscreen as a view limiting device. Yes, including on her side.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yes, we were. However, I will refer you to Schedule 8 of Part 428 in the Flight Test Standards, pertaining to flight test examiner duties in an instrument rating flight test:

quote:

(b) The examiner shall take no part in the operation of the aircraft except:
(i) as required for the purpose of testing certain prescribed exercises,
(ii) to perform the duties of a safety pilot while the candidate is donning and wearing a view-limiting device unless another qualified safety pilot is performing the duties of a non-flying pilot in the case of an aircraft requiring two crew members, or
(iii) where intervention is necessary in the interest of safety or to avoid unacceptable delay to other traffic.

If she can't see out either, that precludes her from acting as safety pilot, which is part of her duty as a designated flight test examiner.

E: And beyond that, do you think a couple of LO charts jammed up against the windscreen would constitute as a "suitable view-limiting device"?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 16, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Again, I don't give a poo poo about any of that good stuff. All of it is overridden by the fact that she is a manipulative and abusive person who treated her employees like absolute poo poo back when she had her own flying school (unless it's still open, that is, in which case she's still abusing her employees). Get over this mentality that she's going to make you stronger by her attitude - it's 2019 for gently caress sake, her sort of poo poo doesn't fly in literally any other industry, why do we tolerate it in aviation?

Also, ask anyone who flew back in the day at blue and teal about their experiences with her. Guarantee you they will say nothing positive.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I think the question here is less about post-stall and more about the approach to the stall in the exercise itself, rather than what is best practice for recovering from a stall. I always went with the idea that while it is important to show and demonstrate stalls and recovery in their most basic form, it's even more important to teach students to recognise and recover from stalls with the aircraft in a plausible, real-world type of scenario. I would question the benefit of showing a student what is effectively a low-speed accelerated stall by going full aft on the control column, because while it does get the aircraft to stall far more readily, what is the real-world benefit in doing that?

Transport Canada has an excellent document on this, it was my guide for any exercises: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-publications/tp13747e.pdf

Also in something completely unrelated, I know it's kind of hilarious to see great big TAFs, but this has to be the shortest one I've ever seen:

TAF CYYC 032038Z 0321/0418 VRB03KT P6SM SKC RMK NXT FCST BY 040000Z=

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I've always said that the day I feel like I know everything there is to know about flying is the day I walk away from it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Regarding the MAX, I find it plausible to think it's not a fundamentally flawed aircraft but there could be something like occurred with MU-2s in that there's a particularly difficult or counterintuitive response to a certain abnormal situation. Does that mean it's broken per se? No, but also Boeing can't simply ignore the issue. I'm not sure if grounding the fleet is necessary but it's probably prudent.

Well, it is and it isn't. The MAX has all kinds of poo poo in it that would never fly (:haw:) today in any clean-sheet aircraft, like the warning system, the overhead panel straight out of the Flintstones and all kinds of structural engineering convention that has long since been confined to the wastebin. Add a set of larger, more powerful engines (and all the associated issues with that) and increase the aircraft's size and gross weight far beyond what the original design had anticipated, and you have a recipe for an aircraft that has some rather messy handling characteristics and operating procedures.

Now I'm not saying that Boeing didn't spend a huge amount of time anticipating and dealing with said issues - they absolutely did, and the aircraft was very rigourously tested - but it's entirely plausible that they and the FAA missed something in flight testing and the certification process, and when it seems (to me at least) like Boeing is putting bandaid fixes on bandaid fixes to meet an equivalent level of safety, it would indicate that maybe the design has run out upgradability. Personally, I have no horse in this race, but it would seem to me that maybe we are long overdue putting the 737 family out to pasture and going to a clean-sheet design.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Not much more to say than that. Too bad it didn't last long :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

And it's not like an airline can go and say, "gently caress you Boeing we're buying A320s instead!" because Airbus have a backlog for the A320neo that's even larger than Boeing has for the 737 MAX.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

cigaw posted:

if they'll ever realize that a pilot wanting to fly instead of commiting to indentured servitude is actually reasonable

This will never happen in Canada, even though we are in the beginnings of an actual bona fide pilot shortage here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

That reminds me of an old guy I used to glide with back when I was an Air Cadet. He would fly his Piper Dakota down to our airfield and never close his flight plan, which inevitably caused a radio search and a visit from the RCMP.

The ironic thing is the guy was a shift manager at Edmonton ARTCC, so you'd think he would know better...

E: I also made a mistake like this one time, but not forgetting to close a flight plan; I forgot to open a flight plan. I had filed a VFR cross-country flight, but due to a combination of circumstances, I was unable to actually go on the trip. I didn't even think that I should call FSS and cancel my planned trip, until they called my cellphone and asked what the gently caress was up.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 1, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

So is air travel going to suddenly get much more expensive due to the pilot shortage or will the government intervene?

Or will all regional flights in 2025 be flown by 20 year old Chinese nationals?

You could literally double the salary of every pilot and flight attendant at an airline and it would bump your ticket cost by maybe 5-10 percent at the most.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Not gonna lie, having a Cessna 172 type rating on my license would be hilarious and awesome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just use Google Sheets, with a form to enter the flight(s) into the sheet automatically, and then make a paper copy every once in a while.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Late on uniform chat, but the school I went to for my commercial was pretty chill about what you could and couldn't wear; basically the rule was "dress, or have with you, the clothes you'd need to spend a night outside in the current conditions." There was no dress code for the students, but we all informally had one where if we were going on a cross-country flight, we'd wear slacks and a dress shirt or similar. Nowadays, students and instructors alike all wear the full uniform, which is something we kicked around in my last year as a student body, but the overwhelming consensus was "professionalism doesn't stem from the clothes you wear". I was of that opinion then, and I definitely am of that opinion today; uniforms don't do gently caress all for how people conduct themselves.

Also back when I was in the Air Cadets getting private license (and also tooling around at the gliding zone), we had to wear flight suits, and let me tell you, I would have killed to wear normal, comfortable clothes in the airplane.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

I still wear reasonably sturdy footwear and long pants on every flight, because even in summer you don't want to be hiking a mile or two in shorts and Birkenstocks in the event of a forced approach.

Never mind that, even just making a precautionary forced landing at night in some godforsaken small-town aerodrome in the middle of loving nowhere, with only a shed and a payphone for facilities, you're gonna be pretty miserable if you're cold/wet/whatever waiting around for help to arrive in the morning.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Rolo posted:

I’ve been in CYUL for one day in August and I want to move here.

Should I move from NC to CAnada?

Go back in February and ask yourself this again.

yeah Montreal owns

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dominoes posted:

machine-learning

:rolleyes:

The less aviation or anything else for that matter has to do with Excel IF THEN loo...err sorry, *~*MaChInE lEaRnInG*~*, the better.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjKSAp2ssY8

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

It's not severe until your feet come off the rudder pedals and your knees crack the trim pad on the bottom of the instrument panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

vessbot posted:

Just keep him away from a.net forums, and he'll be OK.

A four-year old might improve the level of discourse over there though!

e.pilot posted:

Get him in a glider once he’s a little older, you can solo a glider at 14 instead of 16 like a power airplane.

This tho. Gliders own hard and everyone should fly them!