Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

You studied 18% too hard

25.7%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm impressed an 80 year old with limited mobility got 9 coins into the engine from the stairs.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm going to start glider training soon I think. Is there any reason to think it'll screw with my powered flying skills?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

An Air Canada pilot attempted to Harrison Ford onto a taxiway with 4 waiting passenger jets at SFO:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/10/exclusive-sfo-near-miss-might-have-triggered-greatest-aviation-disaster-in-history/

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Truga posted:

Sounds like a perfect cue to remove pilots from autopilots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzD4tIvPHwE

I mean, at least the Air Canada moron went around.

edit: ok I guess that video wasn't really an auto-land attempt.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 11, 2017

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

2) TruTrak Autopilots, a huge player in experimental, just got their first STC for 172s and 177s a month or two ago. They are a dead simple autopilot for around 3k installed. Come on pa-28???

Everything I'm seeing says $5k plus 2 days of labor by your friendly neighborhood A&P, so probably figure more like $7000.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

Pic from my ride this past weekend. Nice maintained 2003 172. To save money I'll be training in a 152, it'll probably be old as heck right? :/ It's no Dreamliner

Learn to fly in an aircraft without lots of bells and whistles and save the money on the time. When you get to fly airplanes with nice gadgetry it will be a treat, but not something you feel like you need.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Unusual Attitudes really aren't bad if you get a CFI who is gentle with the setup for the recovery, too. My initial CFI would jerk you around, but all the ones I had after would do them gently in part because they felt you'd actually get more disoriented with calm maneuvering. (Goon CFIs- agree or disagree?)

This is a pretty interesting question. I think a gentle transition to disorientation is the most likely thing to happen in real life so you could argue that's the best way to do it in training. But in training you are deliberately not looking at anything at all, so it's already kind of a weird and unrealistic setup.

That said, my CFI was aggressive with it and I think it was a lot of fun for both of us that way (I don't have airsickness issues). :)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

I completed my PPL oral with my examiner basically skimming everything because I was ahead of all his questions (have a great CFI) but my practical has been cancelled twice due to thunderstorms

gently caress florida

No big deal, just increase your personal minimums!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I think it's pretty stupid if you have the option to have a radio. It's an extra safety net you are avoiding.

A portable radio is like $200.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sanchez posted:

but receive-only capability costs $200 and requires very little effort.

No, you can get a transceiver for $200:
https://www.pilotmall.com/product/Yaesu-FTA-550-AA-Handheld-VHF-Transceiver/transceivers
https://www.pilotmall.com/product/ICOM-A14-Transceiver-Li-ion/transceivers

A bit more and you get a NAV receiver of unknown usefulness:
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2893
http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/avionics-and-radios/aviation-radios/sporty-s-radios/sporty-s-sp-400-handheld-nav-com-aviation-radio.html

In the context of aviation these things are very cheap.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Do any schools have strictly ground instructors? Do you need to be a CFI to do ground instruction?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Were those guys being fake-angry at everything or do you think they were actually that annoyed with their instructions?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

And what's wrong with Air France :colbert:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You can also replace all of the skin-contact parts of most headsets fairly cheaply if you want to.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Who is your insurer Apollo? $450 is less than half of what I am paying for a 172 but I think I have way less hours than you.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Desi posted:

Heh I did the exact same thing when I was an MEI. I remember one particularly cold morning when we turned it on and got a massive plume of smoke from under the nose that didn't go away immediately when we killed the heater. I shouted "MAGS, MIXTURE, MASTER, LETS GET THE gently caress OUT" to my student and backseat observer student. Turned out to be oil or some poo poo in the combustion chamber somehow but I stand by my bailout decision because gently caress that deathtrap. I also realized that because of the Piper one-door situation that I, the "Captain" of the vessel, had to be the first man off the ship. Made me feel qualified to be an Italian cruise ship skipper :dance:

One of my proudest moments in aviation was when I scooted my seat in a 172 forward so my rear seat passenger could get out before me after landing (on the downwind runway because it was more convenient) in a hurry after my front seat passenger puked all over everything.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

i want to get my floatplane rating so bad, i'm even in a place that has multiple seaplane bases, but I'm already in so much debt

aaaaaa

It's only like $1500 you won't even notice it!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

Nah if I do it I'll do it here, there's a lot of great floatplane ops around Seattle and an acquaintance works as a CFI for one of the companies. I wouldn't bother to take the checkride, either, zero point unless you plan to buy a floatplane, since nobody will let you rent one solo except for one operation here that I have no intent of rejoining.

Probably does not apply to you, but passing the seaplane checkride counts as a BFR.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What's the story?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Animal posted:

"Did you know some people in France said the same thing about England and the colonies during our war of independence?".

This is good.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Watching some videos of Airventure arrivals and really wishing I was there. Maybe next year.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

skooma512 posted:

How much are one of these discovery flights?

I'm life long simmer and I probably wouldn't qualify for a full medical for a big boy license, but it would be fun to go up and get a taste of flying.

Some places have a special deal for like $99, but expect it to be $100-250. On the higher end of that you should expect (and receive) at least an hour of real intro lessons with a bunch of hands-on time.

FYI, you may qualify to fly under BasicMed. Look it up!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My 172G (O-300) has been sitting for more than 2 years. Should I pull the spark plugs off and put some oil in the cylinders before pulling it through a few times and starting it? Or is pulling it through a bunch of times adequate? There's no rush so I can take my time to do it as gently as possible to the engine.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

The Russian decree to please go easy on the auto brakes sounds like my chief flight instructor saying no please don't use the landing lights unless you have to because bulbs are expensive

You say but I wanna and he says ok

Haha, I was told to use the lights sparingly on the first rental I did my initial training in, but to be fair to the owner, that thing went through landing and taxi lights every 20 or 30 minutes of use. He was an A&P but couldn't figure it out and got so fed up with the lights burning out that he eventually sold that plane mostly for that particular reason.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Two Kings posted:

How is withholding parts from civilian aircraft because you are mad at their government in anyone’s best interest?

It seems like the only result you’re going to get is potentially killing a bunch of innocent people who don’t know any better when they book a flight.

The government in charge of regulating those aircraft could ground them, you know.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man I just slept for 10 hours. It was just a PPL checkride but man was that day draining, holy poo poo. But I'm really happy now. Also makes me feel a little bit closer to my late dad; he regretted never taking up lessons and really wanted to fly around with me. We would have flown around together a lot and of cancer hadn't taken him out this year. I could have taken him up if getting the medical hadn't taken so much time because I took SSRIs in the 2010s.

Oh and @AWSEFT can I get myself added to that cool OP?

Congrats!

And AWSEFT if you're updating the OP, add ASES to mine :)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Rolo posted:

Oh wicked what did you do it in? I’ve been wanting to get it forever.

Did it a while ago in a Piper at Jack Brown's in central Florida. I timed it so it counted as a BFR too. It was a blast, so much fun. I'll probably never use the rating but it was worth it just for the sake of doing it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Some nightmare fuel courtesy Reddit:

I do not like this.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does that thing have 100 degrees of flaps? What is that aircraft?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

That makes a lot more sense than degrees, but then why would you need so much precision?? Flaps 37 degrees! Flaps 54 degrees! No, poo poo, I meant 55 degrees, gently caress!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Is 1337 speak still considered "cool" because I got this yesterday:

(Edit, and yes taking this picture is what made me realize the last crew left the transponder on)

I'm at maximum BRT over here.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why are there sparks outside :downs:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

vessbot posted:

I would venture to say that most passenger flights are not known to have sparks outside, so it's a pretty reasonable question considering.

Yeah, that’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

I know. It was more the way he said it that made me laugh.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

A 727 flew over my house last night at 3am, annoying my dog. It was a cargo plane according to flightaware.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Biscoff are fuckin good, though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

actionjackson posted:

where are some good places to learn about commercial aviation? I finally found a solution for my fear of flying (ativan + beta blocker) and I need a new hobby. I sometimes browse the flyertalk forums. suggestions for youtube channels?

Just a couple to get you started

Mentour Pilot
74 Gear

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I flew around in Ospreys for years. Nothing really scares me now.

I'm not scared of flying at all, and I'd absolutely take a ride in a v22, but I'd be getting my affairs in order first.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Sometimes I see those balls where there's no airport or even a helipad. I wonder what that's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm going to have to try this gummy bear experiment.

Do I need an STC to install gummy bear vortex generators?