Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's already moved on to talking about Hannity running a piece on Hillarys EMAILS. The dude isn't launching anything.

North Korea takes US presidents threatening horrible consequences and then either not following through or even worse having their aides walk them back as a sign of weakness, and Trump keeps insulting the head of the cult personally, so this kind of poo poo still has an impact in that it can make North Korea more likely to engage in risky behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He's already moved on to talking about Hannity running a piece on Hillarys EMAILS. The dude isn't launching anything.

He spent a total of two minutes thinking about the nuke button, pressed send, and immediately forgot about it. Leaving the rest of the world to stew all night

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

gret posted:

button too big for him to fully press down?

nuke button inexplicably continues to deliver diet coke

president is crushed under several thousand ounces of soda

skylined! fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 3, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Draw the clock Donald

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

TheNewt posted:

So yes it's horrible and would cause impeachment/destroy trumps reputation and kill hundreds of thousands of americans. But it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Flying four airplanes into buildings is an attack that would do way less damage than a single nuke, but look where that led us. The idea of getting a nuclear weapon dropped on a major city is terrifying, but it'd be nothing compared to how much we'd hurt the world and ourselves in response.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

dont even fink about it posted:

Trump's tweets should make everyone rejoice; they're all bullshit, much like everything he says, that serve no practical effect but to worsen his polling.

Twitter allows Trump to have an outlet for his crazyness that also hurts his polling. It's a win win really.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

skylined! posted:

:toxx: trump will never launch a nuke

and if he does i sure as gently caress don't want to be near the thread afterward

button too big for him to fully press down?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/948071640457535489

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
There were reports about the North doing another missile launch. Well...

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/948379495349800961

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If that isn't an indicator for cognitive decline, I don't know what is. He treats all of this like a game, as if it isn't reality with real lives on the line. He probably won't launch anything, but there are countries genuinely pissed because he does all of his communication through Twitter instead of meeting with them.

Twitter honestly needs to be shut down, it is assisting in bringing us closer to a lethal outcome.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheNewt posted:

Look even if North Korea had functional nukes and we attacked first the max they could probably have is like what. 3?

I'd be surprised if they're any large than 1 megaton either. Their last test was 250 kilotons.

Saying it made a direct strike on Los Angeles - which it probably would not do. we're talking about a pretty limited fireball. The vast majority of the local population would survive and most of the fallout would go out to sea or into the desert.

So yes it's horrible and would cause impeachment/destroy trumps reputation and kill hundreds of thousands of americans. But it wouldn't be the end of the world.

A 1 megaton weapon would still gently caress poo poo up real bad.

Here's a 1 MT on DC, the entire city and all of its suburbs are destroyed. Estimated casualties from the explosion alone are 500k.

Even a 150 kt weapon would be bad news for DC and destroy all of the parts people actually know about (in both maps my house is inside the air blast wave circle which means i would probably die without knowing what happened)

so yeah, the world wouldn't end but it would be real bad news and millions would die for essentially no reason.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hastings posted:

If that isn't an indicator for cognitive decline, I don't know what is. He treats all of this like a game, as if it isn't reality with real lives on the line. He probably won't launch anything, but there are countries genuinely pissed because he does all of his communication through Twitter instead of meeting with them.

Twitter honestly needs to be shut down, it is assisting in bringing us closer to a lethal outcome.

I wouldn't say no to a limited nuclear strike on twitter's infrastructure.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skylined! posted:

yo y'all freaking out over this - this is like absolute proof trump is never going to nuke anyone. every single threat he has ever made has been empty as gently caress.

:greencube:

Weak men lash out and abuse those they can to feel powerful rather than facing the reality that they are weak.

He does that often.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Currently taking bets on winners and losers at Trump's THE MOST DISHONEST & CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR. CNN currently looking likely to sweep the awards this year. What do you guys think? It's a regular who's who event.

edit: just set my VCR to record. Got blank tapes just for the event

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Currently taking bets on winners and losers at Trump's THE MOST DISHONEST & CORRUPT MEDIA AWARDS OF THE YEAR. CNN currently looking likely to sweep the awards this year. What do you guys think? It's a regular who's who event.

Don't forget the failing New York Times that Trump secretly still wants approval from. Plus the Amazon Post, which has had a lot of bombshells about him. Oh and that one idiot at ABC who hosed up the Flynn story.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Robot Hobo posted:

Flying four airplanes into buildings is an attack that would do way less damage than a single nuke, but look where that led us. The idea of getting a nuclear weapon dropped on a major city is terrifying, but it'd be nothing compared to how much we'd hurt the world and ourselves in response.

Woof. I pondered this for a bit and now I'm getting a little sweaty.

I repeatedly come back to wondering whether bin Laden was attuned enough and/or bright enough to realize how thoroughly he had succeeded. When I talk to my students about it, the phrase I always use is "the most spectacularly successful criminal act in human history."

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

The real Doomsday Clock is the one Trump can't draw.

Hello, mods?! Can we get a new title please? Thanks so much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress off with this false equivalency

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cochise posted:

Hello, mods?! Can we get a new title please? Thanks so much.

I agree. Let's get this rolling.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Regarding that whole “safest airtravel-year” thing. I’m actually flying to NYC I’m thursday. I hope 2018 don’t decide to catch up on lost deaths to gently caress with Trump. I’m all for loving with him, airplane-Gods, but you know, he has a plane of his own!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mdemone posted:

Woof. I pondered this for a bit and now I'm getting a little sweaty.

I repeatedly come back to wondering whether bin Laden was attuned enough and/or bright enough to realize how thoroughly he had succeeded. When I talk to my students about it, the phrase I always use is "the most spectacularly successful criminal act in human history."

Arguably the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was more successful, since unlike Al Qaeda's attacks which failed to topple Arab regimes, ,it actually did achieve its ultimate purpose of Yugoslavian independence.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hannity posted:

Also, the President announcing that he will give out The Most Dishonest And Corrupt Media Awards. Sean Spicer and Michelle Malkin will join us.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/948383431037280257

fusion gps has infinite dirt on trump

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/948364284282724352

Where the adults in the room tell Donnie that no, he can't have a big red button, and feed him with a spoon airplane.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Please god can we just start a new thread instead of a title change, this thread is almost inaccessible from awful app now

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

yeah, this seems pretty significant. im curious to see how congress responds.

quote:

We suggested investigators look into the bank records of Deutsche Bank and others that were funding Mr. Trump’s businesses. Congress appears uninterested in that tip: Reportedly, ours are the only bank records the House Intelligence Committee has subpoenaed.

We told Congress that from Manhattan to Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., and from Toronto to Panama, we found widespread evidence that Mr. Trump and his organization had worked with a wide array of dubious Russians in arrangements that often raised questions about money laundering. Likewise, those deals don’t seem to interest Congress.

We explained how, from our past journalistic work in Europe, we were deeply familiar with the political operative Paul Manafort’s coziness with Moscow and his financial ties to Russian oligarchs close to Vladimir Putin.

Finally, we debunked the biggest canard being pushed by the president’s men — the notion that we somehow knew of the June 9, 2016, meeting in Trump Tower between some Russians and the Trump brain trust. We first learned of that meeting from news reports last year — and the committees know it. They also know that these Russians were unaware of the former British intelligence officer Christopher Steele’s work for us and were not sources for his reports.

Yes, we hired Mr. Steele, a highly respected Russia expert. But we did so without informing him whom we were working for and gave him no specific marching orders beyond this basic question: Why did Mr. Trump repeatedly seek to do deals in a notoriously corrupt police state that most serious investors shun?

What came back shocked us. Mr. Steele’s sources in Russia (who were not paid) reported on an extensive — and now confirmed — effort by the Kremlin to help elect Mr. Trump president. Mr. Steele saw this as a crime in progress and decided he needed to report it to the F.B.I.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Arguably the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was more successful, since unlike Al Qaeda's attacks which failed to topple Arab regimes, ,it actually did achieve its ultimate purpose of Yugoslavian independence.

Yeah, my emphasis on the word "spectacular" is somehow meant to carry equal weight with "successful". FF getting capped has always seemed to me (and maybe this is the droning buzz of history) that it was a spark that could as easily have been supplied by any number of other events. Maybe I'm flatly wrong about that.

We have also not seen the end of the 9/11 domino fall, I fear.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

Regarding that whole “safest airtravel-year” thing. I’m actually flying to NYC I’m thursday. I hope 2018 don’t decide to catch up on lost deaths to gently caress with Trump. I’m all for loving with him, airplane-Gods, but you know, he has a plane of his own!

1. Air travel is insanely safe, the chance of being in an incident is infinitesimal.
2. If there is an incident, the majority of airline incidents are survivable and most passengers are still alive after the plane has stopped moving
3. Most people who die in airline incidents die from smoke inhalation/fire so make sure you actually know where the emergency exits are. People have lived because they listened while their companions did not, panicked and died.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
every morning i wake up and open palm slam a VHS into the slot. it's doctor strangelove and i know all the nuclear codes. i yee haw as i do a 360 frontflip into the button. not many people can say they've made it through the north korean air defense system, but i can

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Draw the clock Donald

I feel like I'm missing something. What's the clock thing?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 3, 2018

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eox posted:

Please god can we just start a new thread instead of a title change, this thread is almost inaccessible from awful app now

Agreed.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:agreed:

VVV
I learned a thing!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

KickerOfMice posted:

I feel like I'm missing something.

Drawing an analog clock is a typical test to measure cognitive function.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mdemone posted:

I repeatedly come back to wondering whether bin Laden was attuned enough and/or bright enough to realize how thoroughly he had succeeded.
It was like if you're out bowling, you roll your ball down the lane, only manage to hit 7 of the pins, and then the entire bowling alley falls over.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

yeah, this seems pretty significant. im curious to see how congress responds.

I'm sitting at 99.5% confidence that Nunes's in on it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

If the US gets nuked by NK, you can bet your rear end Russia will use the opportunity to also nuke the US in an attempt to pile on and finish the job.

And ensure that they're wiped out minutes later.

How do you write this stupid poo poo with a straight face?

Sinteres posted:

North Korea takes US presidents threatening horrible consequences and then either not following through or even worse having their aides walk them back as a sign of weakness, and Trump keeps insulting the head of the cult personally, so this kind of poo poo still has an impact in that it can make North Korea more likely to engage in risky behavior.

What risky behaviour can they actually engage in? Like, practically? You know, with their tiny, tiny loving pool of material resources.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

KickerOfMice posted:

https://www.verywell.com/the-clock-drawing-test-98619

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/948364284282724352

Where the adults in the room tell Donnie that no, he can't have a big red button, and feed him with a spoon airplane.

I'd say that I'm glad we have a foreign policy expert Sec State in that meeting tomorrow, but...unless the topic is how to negotiate oil extraction rights, lol nope.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

Its a Hannibal (?) thing. A character who's experiencing memory blackouts is told to draw a clockface to prove he's capable and they draw a hosed up clock with all the hour-indicating numbers at the bottom.

Basically, Trump is losing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Drawing an analog clock is a typical test to measure cognitive function.

Here's another question since I'm feisty tonight: is the draw-a-clock test done in front of the doctor? That is, does the process by which the patient draws the clock matter, or only the final product? For example, I would draw the 12-3-6-9 first, to get the spacing correct -- would that be taken into account by a doctor?

• Locked thread