Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RZApublican posted:

Where is the non-Georgia election?

California, Xavier Becerra's old seat. But it's not super interesting because due to California's Jungle Primary system, both candidates are Democrats :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

So they figured out that trying to stop the investigation on a technicality by appointing his former lawyer wouldn't work, I take it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A lot of people saying it's a good sign it was a close race and shows good signs for other races, but it was a race against a guy who violently assaulted a reporter the day before election day, do you really think future races are going to be handed such a freebie the day before the election?

Montana voters swing heavily towards early voting. About 2/3 of voters cast their ballots before the chokeslam even happened.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The good news is that the Dems have actually won state represenative seats, Georgia is looking good, and these results show that people do care and votes are shifting. There's nothing to do until 2018 but that was always going to be the case. There is hope.

Well, I wouldn't say Georgia is "looking good" as in Ossoff has an advantage. It's a dead heat right now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The most recent poll had Ossoff up by 7, the one before that by 2. I'd say that's good.

I'm inclined to say that the one that had him up by 7 is an outlier.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

axeil posted:

In the Safe/Likely/Lean category I'd say KS-03 was Likely GOP, MT-AL is Lean GOP and GA-06 is Toss-up trending towards Lean D.

Yeah, that's a reasonable analysis. Out of this year's crop of Trump appointee special elections, GA-06 has always been the best chance for the Democrats.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sinclair is pretty worrying. People consistently rate local news as more trustworthy than any other news source. Plus, it's harder to criticize Sinclair because their programming is distributed, unlike Fox News or Breitbart. They don't brand their content, so you probably don't know they're behind your local news station unless you specifically look it up. And when a Sinclair-owned station does something stupid, it doesn't resonate with a national audience the way that, say, Sean Hannity spouting dumb poo poo does, because people don't care about what happens on a local news station on the other side of the country.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Sinclair? I've never heard of them before.

A company that owns a large amount of local news stations that in recent years has been pushing a more and more conservative line.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

enraged_camel posted:

So say the polls. But the same polls also predicted a huge Hillary victory, so...

The polls predicted Hillary would win the popular vote by 3% and she won it by 2%.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Well, anyone can report anyone to the FBI for anything. I'd wait to see if the FBI takes it seriously to get excited.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ. Zuckerberg is not a good candidate. How can we even be discussing this.

For one thing he would lose a debate instantly. Ever seen him speak about controversial subjects? He can't.

He isn't a good candidate, but you've seen Trump debate too, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

There's a non-zero chance that Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions are going to make a big show of deporting a NBA player to their home country to become a political prisoner to a tyrant that this Administration has opened channels to.

They haven't deported Gulen, they're not going to deport Kanter, either.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This is just gonna keep getting more common.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darth Windu posted:

Can someone honestly explain why the Seth rich thing isn't super worrisome, thanks in advances.

The guy was responsive when EMTs arrived and died 5 hours later. If it was a targetted killing and not just a botched robbery, then Hillary would have the money and connections to get a contract killer who did the job right.

Also he didn't actually leak anything to Wikileaks, so she had no motivation to kill him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josh Lyman posted:

When r/The_Donald was first created, I remember thinking it was ironic. At what point did it become alt-right central?

I remember it exploding in popularity around the time the Republican race went down to him, Cruz, and Kasich.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Trump is the quintessential Ugly American.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Man I really wish some foreign leader would tell Trump to his face that he wasn't the American people's first choice.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

flashman posted:

Yeah best to quash these revolutionary ideas like "healthcare for everyone" or "a living working wage". The status quo is garbage and a system that will facilitate it is as well.

Considering the Democrats are the centrists and they want those things...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crain posted:

While it is the term du jour, and Macron himself used the correct term, I really hate that we still are using "fake news". It's propaganda people. Sticking with the right wing's term only softens the importance of the subject and allows them to blow it off as a mere difference of opinion.

I don't think "fake news"was originally the right's term. Macron was using it in its original context, to describe the nonsense conspiracy sites masquerading as legitimate news outlets that get spread on social media by ideologues and believed by people who are bad at analyzing news sources and people with confirmation bias, before the right seized hold of it and turned it into "any news we disagree with."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PT6A posted:

Do Americans typically not sing the lyrics to their national anthem when it's playing? I mean, it's odd that he's the only one doing it, but other than that it doesn't seem strange.

It depends on the context. You generally don't at a memorial service.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Could you imagine if Obama said in 2008 "I like people who weren't captured"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blitz7x posted:

Hasn't the Democratic party kinda soft shoed away from gun control?

They haven't made a serious push for any kind of federal gun control in a long time. At the state level, they've basically given up on any kind of expansion of gun control outside of deep blue states.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My dad bought a fuckton of guns during the Obama years and when he passes away, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them all. I don't want em and I know it would be better for society​ if I just destroyed them, but on the other hand, I'd probably make something in the high four digit range selling them all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zwabu posted:

Do either Ivanka or Jared actually have official government positions in the Trump administration?

Yes, both of them. Jared's a Senior Advisor and Ivanka's an Assistant (those are their actual titles, not just vague descriptions).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Well yeah, I mean, God would never flood the world in order to punish humanity

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skylined! posted:

holy gently caress

seems to be a lot of overlap in the venn diagram of sports fans/trump supporters/loving clueless culturally inept intensive loving morons

asdfgasjiodbfuiasbdf8ouibhasdf

i like sports too but i don't openly because it always attracts conversations from people like this goodddammnnnn

You just gotta find the right sports

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DoctorGonzo posted:

Actually, it is.

The coal industry needs to die so its workers can move on to industries that aren't killing the world.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

EwokEntourage posted:

Why did Nicaragua not sign on? I get that Syria is a little preoccupied, but what's with Nicaragua

According to this, it's because Nicaragua believes the Paris accords don't do enough to fight climate change.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes. But they aren't too happy about jobs programs coming from Democrats. It insults their pride. They want their old jobs back, honest coal mining jobs like their fathers had, not this pussy solar panel factory you guys are proposing (which pays like poo poo because that's factory work these days.)

Plus, of course, it's hard to teleport jobs into the middle of nowhere. Towns that were set up to mine a seam that no longer exists, or next to a river so that the factory can load easily onto the barges, aren't necessarily anywhere convenient for other purposes. There's only so many gun trigger factories the government can set up in nowheresville.

Yeah, the issue with coal mining jobs isn't just the economic impact, but also the perception of coal mining as being a proud, masculine profession, a "real job," a "man's job." It's another example of toxic masculinity.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

goes to show how much the world population is under globalist control

You forgot your triple parentheses.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yes. As an aside "toxic masculinity" is probably a bad phrase to enter the common parlance. It makes sense in an academic context, but like "white privilege" is going to confuse and upset people who aren't educated enough to realize what it means, thinking it's something to do with hating men. I don't really want guys like this to think they are hated for being macho. It's OK to be macho after all, as long as you don't let it box you into making foolish choices.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. The phrase "toxic masculinity" is so widely misunderstood. I see it mocked in far-right circles all the time. Is there a better term that conveys the meaning "the perception of certain bad things as being masculine and masculinity as desirable leads people to make bad choices" without the baggage of "toxic masculinity?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If I was a Republican strategist and Democrats started trying to make a case for climate regulations on the basis of "for the children," I would immediately parry that into "if Democrats care so much about children, then what about ABORTION?" and that would muddle the issue and undermine any kind of inroads the Democrats were trying to make among family-style conservative types.

Not saying that isn't a good idea, I'm just thinking ahead.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Couldn't Congress smother this in its crib if they wanted? No interstate compacts without consent of Congress and all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ah, thanks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joe Biden will be 78 in 2020. There's no goddamn way in hell he'll run.

More likely he's leveraging his personal connections to raise money for other Dem candidates.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

n4 posted:

Wtf are DIMMS?

In the Star Trek Deep Space Nine two-part episode "Past Tense," the crew gets shot back in time to 2024, a year when American cities were forcing the poor and unemployable to live in ghettos called "sanctuary districts" so they can just rot there so the rest of society doesn't have to deal with them.

According to that episode, "Dims" is the commonly-used term for retarded people at the tail end of the Trump administration.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thomas did surprisingly vote against NC's racial gerrymandering a few weeks ago, so there might be an inkling of a soul in him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We didn't learn from Britain's mistake, but they sure learned from ours.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beejay posted:

Can someone explain why that UK news would not be prudent here if it was a USPol thread but it is in a Trump thread?

From an American perspective, the Tories losing their majority could be seen as a rejection of nativism by an electorate just recently rocked by two big terrorist attacks. Our allies rejecting a Trump-adjacent world view is bad for Trump and, by extension, good for America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Cheekio posted:

Does anyone have a cliffnotes on Seth Rich? What the gently caress is that all about?

The short story of it is that he was killed in what police ruled a botched robbery while walking alone at night. He was alive and responsive when EMTs arrived on the scene, and died in the hospital about 5 hours later.

There's no proof that he leaked anything to wikileaks. His family have told the right-wing conspiracy nuts to quit using their dead son for political gain.

• Locked thread