Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lol if that sinks Hannity I will be over the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lol maybe nothing gets done in 4 years by sheer incompetence. We'll probably get a government shutdown out of it.

There were some very interesting things Mulvaney said yesterday:

"I’ve said it before, I say it again: If you are 30 years old and you are watching this, or you're sitting here, you have never had a job as an adult in a healthy American economy. It’s either been a recession or a slow, sluggish economy stumbling along at less than 2 percent growth."

And heres this:

"At 3 percent economic growth in a healthy American economy, if you don't like your job, you can quit because you know you can go get another job. If you get laid off, you know you can go off and start your own business. These are the opportunities that people have forgotten about. And these are the things, the optimism in the country, the dynamism in the country that the President is so eager to push back and to bring back to the country."

I'm trying to find the quote, its not on the transcript about basically how woefully compliant Americans are within capitalism. It was the best thing Mulvaney said which for the wrong reasons. Couldnt find it though, had something to do with our culture ans what we value.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks Comey!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

There is not a significant chain of command between the two people signing off on it and the missiles going off. The system is designed specifically to avoid one.

Cant waste time on hangups!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

It's more that the system was designed with two assumptions: (1) you may be launching in response to a USSR launch and/or first strike and so time may be of the essence and/or significant chunks of the chain of command may be dead and (2) the credibility of the deterrence depends on the USSR believing that if the President gives the orders the missiles will launch and that they won't be stopped by someone in between refusing to end the world.

Good explanation thanks. We can add that to the Democratic agenda when they retake control, what an out of date system. Why havent any reforms been done on it?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/867479735915466752

lol it's going to jack premiums 20% next year compared to existing law

Unbelievable.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lote posted:

It's not a 20% premium hike.

Next year, the high end estimate is 20-30% increase in premiums for the ACA.

The CBO forcast is 20-30% + an additional 20% premium hike.

Oh my god.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Must have been a relief interacting with someone who has both the mind and body of a child

Lmao

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dude how wild would it be if Hannity got fired. O'Reilly gone, AIles dead, and soon Hannity sacked. The Trump effect!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As awful as this is, I'm hoping Democrats don't fumble this golden opportunity. The hard part is messaging it to people but they have much of the work cut out for them.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

You're having a freakout because I said he isn't going to win. So, yeah, it's entirely you.

Can you just go back to playing Overwatch? Jesus you people are insufferable with this poo poo.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

B B posted:

Sorry to bring back Zuckerberg chat, but he's giving his commencement speech at Harvard . . . and it's incredibly political. To summarize, he referenced New Deal and Great Society and said that it's time for a new social contract to include universal basic income and health care that isn't tied to employment; he also said that rich people like him should be paying for these sorts of social programs.

Certainly sounds like he's running for something.

Free healthcare with ads! Do it!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I'm sure htis must have been posted somewhere in the last 1000 posts but :staredog:

https://twitter.com/BigBowlOfChili/status/867697271969808385

what a loving assclown

Poe's Law needs a revision.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Quist isn't really a weak candidate. He's pretty much a dream candidate here. Local, progressive, gun supporter, every person in the state has personally met him or knows someone who has because he's performed at every State Fair.

Wow a Democrat not hung up on wedge issues like guns? Is the party finally learning something? Well I guess there's Manchin...

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

David Wasserman (dude on 538) is predicting a 4-8 point Gianforte victory.

Lol once the Trump honeymoon is over and people start defecting, and all the garbage GOP policies go in effect, I look forward to the Democrat bloodbath in a couple years.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Great the normalization of people being trash continues.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well it was nice remembering Montana was a state for a brief 15 minutes. Back to obscurity you go!

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA and Department of HHS have given Scott Walker approval to require drug testing for all Wisconsin residents on food stamps, Medicaid, or unemployment insurance.

The Wisconsin joint finance committee just approved it at the state-level today.

This will be the largest public drug testing program in the United States; even more than the Federal government.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...5391bb6d48.html

Now where does Wisconsin rank out of all 50 states on where not to live in America?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, great stuff.

Unfortunately he's going to have to wait for a real leader that can unite the country but in this political climate that could be a long time.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Leon Trotsky 2012, after reviewing Mulvaney's budget proposal and if it was ever to pass, what does that mean for corporations like Walmart who are a burden on taxpayers that provide welfare programs for underpaid workers? Does that mean in theory there could be more pressure on Walmart to increase wages with such severe cuts to those programs?

I'm not an accelerationist, but I would think some of these large multinational corporations that have grossly profited from such cheap labor is going to face tremendous heat on paying better wages and benefits. Maybe I'm too optimistic in this leading to violent protests.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fansy posted:

making states bankrupt is the GOP's goal

States can't go bankrupt.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:lol:

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Sounds like Scott Walker wants to test that theory.

Lol yeah default on its debts and the creditors would be suing the state with thousands of lawsuits, since there's no state bankruptcy.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

"All you hear is investigating this, investigating that. I'm tired of it," he said, exasperated. "I don't think he's ever been given a chance to do what he could do."

And this is how Trump supporters are going to rationalize his failure to keep his campaign promises in 4 years. It was the Democrats/THE SWAMP/etc out to get Trump.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This can't be real. I refuse to believe it. Lolololol we literally are living in a cartoon.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

Why? What's the loving point of this?

He wants to undo everything Obama ever did in the past 8 years.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Where are you from that people put horses in a bedroom? A 10 bedroom house isnt common anyone in the US

Lol I think he's trolling.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lol what a troll Trump is. Amazing.

The undoing of Obama's legacy continues.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I go to bed around 9 pm most nights.

How much sleep do you get?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I dunno everything at Arby's is pretty drat good. Their sliders rule.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So glad to hear this Russia stuff is gumming up the legislative goals of Republicans.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/872263834559549440

Shadow president Obama visits neighbors seeking support for coup.

"Time to tear up NAFTA after what Obama has done!" - Guess who

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kaytar

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Automation is vastly overhyped. There is so little evidence out there that suggests it kills jobs or worsens inequality. The biggest job disruptions is mainly due to trade.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

You're not even trying now

Is your heart even still in this?

Not sure what you are getting at. We need to shift the focus away from a perceived threat somewhere in the future caused by rapid technological advancements (which those supposed advancements better economic outcomes) and towards the real threat of our living standards: an increase in bargaining power by capitalist owners at the expense of workers. We need policies that can redistribute the power back to working Americans, give them more economic leverage and a fairer share in productivity gains.

And yes our trade treaties have done much more harm than whatever impact automation has had on the economy, which is negligible.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

Saying that trade deals have been bad for workers is not the same as saying that isolationism is the only solution. One of the major problems with "free trade" deals is that they put workers in western countries with stricter labour and environmental laws in competition with workers in countries without those protections. Naturally this results in some of the work being outsourced. Better trade deals would avoid that.

Right exactly. It's like people think there is nothing you can do about "globalization". Of course we can, we need to renegotiate these trade agreements to include much more worker protections. NAFTA virtually has none of that and why it's so awful, not for the reasons Trump gives like "trade deficits".

My view is trade is always good in the aggregate or nobody would do it. The problem isn't trade as such but dis-aggregate the benefits so they go not just to capital but to citizens generally. The obvious way to do that is to tax the rich who benefit differentially from globalization and use those revenues to invest in areas that benefit workers (education, health care, common infrastructure).

The problem with the conservatives in America is that they don't want to fairly allocate the benefits of trade by increasing taxes on the rich, and they want the costs of trade (fewer low skill jobs, more job competition, more negotiating power for capital) to fall on workers. My guess is whatever trade arrangements our government enters into will continue to impoverish workers. And if they don't enter into those arrangements, then the result is less aggregate wealth, impoverishing workers.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2017

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I sell and implement automation software to SMBs. I've personally witnessed said software resulting in many layoffs. In one occasion, the automation project was so successful that the customer shuttered an entire department. Eighteen or twenty people were let go because their jobs were made redundant by a bunch of ones and zeroes.

The people laid off weren't doing mindless data entry either. They were business analysts responsible for reporting and forecasting. Once the executives realized they could get the information they need with the click of a few buttons in our software, as opposed to asking the employees for it and having to wait days/weeks for them to manually compile everything, they axed everyone on that team.

And that's just one company. I've been in this line of work for over a decade now and I've seen many such examples.

I can't speak for hardware automation (factories, construction, etc) but software really is eating the world. I'm lucky enough to be on the technical side doing development and implementation. Most people though are hosed.

It's happening at my workplace too, the software side of it. Still whatever possible problems might lie ahead, we are still talking at least another 10 years or so out. This is one of the problems I have with this media obsession that robots/automation are coming for your jobs. Worse that is the blame for wage stagnation and inequality, which couldn't be further from the truth. Like there was a paper that came out in March trying to find evidence of robots and job displacements:
http://www.nber.org/papers/w23285

An article on that paper from Quartz:
https://qz.com/943073/compelling-new-evidence-that-robots-are-taking-jobs-and-cutting-wages/

quote:

However you measure it, the short-term impact of automation has been wrenching for many workers. Yet, history also suggests that fears of new technologies leading to persistently high unemployment are unfounded. Over the long term, markets always find a way to make use of humans’ skills. Assuming this time really isn’t different, they probably will again.

So there is insufficient evidence that would suggest an impending robot/automation disaster.

Yes there are real problems in the labor market right now that have suppressed wages and job creation, but the source of that lies in our policies regarding globalization, collective bargaining, unemployment, etc. Nothing to do with automation/tech/robots. That narrative is distracting from what truly needs to be addressed: the lack of wage growth and growing inequality caused by policies that have moved economic power from low/mid wage workers, but also our productivity growth is far too low.

There just isn't a basis that supports the conclusion automation would increase unemployment or continue wage stagnation. If we had knowledgeable policymakers that care about working Americans they would get to work on addressing the long wage suppression we've suffered under for decades. And if you can craft policies that can produce high wages and good jobs then it will be that much easier for workers to transition into them if they were ever displaced by our new robot overlords.

Education and continuing training are not the solutions, just as much that they weren't sufficient enough to deal with those displaced from manufacturing/factory jobs across a few decades ago.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see what Coulter is gonna tweet over the next 4 years with all of Trump's broken promises and the crises he'll trigger. I'm sure his non-delusional loyalists will be off the bandwagon soon enough, and then we will really see how far his approval rating will tank.

• Locked thread