Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

Calling it now, he either keels over from a heart attack, or resigns before impeachment proceedings begin. Either way he's not making it to the Fourth of July.

Trump will show his base the way forward by being the first human being to have a heart stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

I hope someone puts up a fourth statue to make the dog look bad, and then someone responds to that with a fifth, and in a few months all of Wall Street looks like a giant bronze game of Exquisite Corpse.

I too hope that Wall Street makes an Exquisite Corpse, comrade.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

I assume Trump tweets with qwerty so I'm looking at my keyboard trying to understand the sequence of finger slips that would turn "coverage" into "covfefe"

the f key is just below the r key, so there's a lot of space for that.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

the word is already on urban dictionary

quote:

Covfefe
(n.) When you want to say "coverage" but your hands are too small to hit all the letters on your keyboard.
Despite constant negative press covfefe.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Covfefe has to be an acronym for something ( like maga) but I can't figure it out.

Also my phone doesn't even attempt to autocorrect covfefe

Churlish
Old
Violent
Fascist
Eats
Farts
Exists

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

theres a will theres moe posted:

Does this mean in a hundred years there will be statues of Steve bannon all over Louisiana or is that inevitable anyway

Don't worry, thanks to climate change in a hundred years there won't be a Louisiana.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So is this whole thing the first full-blown international crisis that Trump's had to respond to?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Funny you mention this, I was having a debate on healthcare with a republican making $220k+ a year and it basically came down to how many thousands of additional preventable deaths he was okay with for cuts and when he would care about them.

Did you point out that by those metrics (especially crimes, environmental damage and contribution to society), most people in the upper tax brackets are actively worthless?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Best case scenario for his financial data: not only is it full of horrible incriminating evidence, but Trump is actually far poorer than he wants people to think.

Best possible end result: trump is too distracted by SNL making fun of him being poor to do even the half-assed governing he's trying right now for the next 3 years.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

The result of this is that Democrats can't build anyone up to have a "name" because the Republicans will use that as a signal to smear them. There's no-one in politics clean enough to be immune to years of constant generation of smoke.

Looking forward to Senator Neverheardofhim as the candidate for the Democratic party in 2020.

This was pretty much literally Obama though.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

If trump pardoned a poo poo load of people, including his family, Kushner and himself, would anything actually happen?

Would it even matter to the GOP? Would they do anything?

A couple days ago they might have been very concerned.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I have compassion for Mcain.

Brain cancer is a horrible, disgusting terror of a thing. It destroys your personality, erodes your mental faculties, and almost certainly condemns you to a protracted, painful death. I just wish they'd caught it sooner, then maybe they could have stopped him from becoming a republican.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hope to live long enough to see CNN say Ted Cruz has passed away.

FizFashizzle posted:

what is dead can never die

Cruz will not die, merely return to his dread lair to sleep.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It implies that these people truly believe what they say and they aren't just selling out to corporations, which is far more terrifying.

It's both and it's always been both.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

evilweasel posted:

as a reminder even if it goes to conference, the house can still pass skinny repeal at any time, even if the conference fails, the conference succeeds but the bill it passes fails, or they just lied

Good to know, albeit somewhat irrelevant because they are are almost certainly lying.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So what happens if they aren't lying, but instead change it in committee to be a full repeal? Is that possible?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

right, but they haven't USED reconciliation for this year. They could still use it to pass some random, unrelated -to- healthcare thing, right?

Well, it's supposed to be used to pass a budget, but hah.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Looks like turtle soup's on the menu at congress!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

In response, Russia has cut the US Embassy staffing number in Russia down to match the current Russian embassy staff number in the US.

So... a pretty much meaningless gesture that will do nothing but annoy Trump?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Trump's only twitter about all this was really mild by his standards. And nothing at all about Russia sanctions. He has to let that steam out somehow.

Expect a mysterious uptick in white house staff wearing conspicuously large sets of shades.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

New idea: pass a bill that does nothing but rename the Affordable Care Act to the "Trump Saves Healthcare Act."

They'll find a way to be dumb enough to attach a full repeal to it anyway and turn it into the "Trump saves! Healthcare?" Act.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

marxismftw posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but it's an intrinsic feature of the first amendment protection on speech. Twitter is a public forum (that is, each individual tweet thread is likely a separate forum, analogous to a town-hall meeting) and when a government official restricts speech outright, in such a forum, in a manner that discriminates by viewpoint (such as here, by silencing critics), courts apply the most stringent standards to determine whether the restriction can stand. Namely, the restriction has to serve a compelling governmental interest (usually, something critical to governance or governmental function, or human life; rather than merely a preference). The restriction must be narrowly tailored to serve that interest, which in practice means that it at not point burdens otherwise protected speech, and the restriction must be the least intrusive means possible to achieving it's function. In practice, its nearly impossible for a law or policy challenged under strict scrutiny to survive. The ruling from a district court here is obvious. Less obvious is whether a higher court attempts to carve out some new exception or reason that twitter is not a public forum, which seems pretty unlikely.

Does this mean that trump blocking people is now illegal? :haw:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Trump cannot veto or avoid signing a debt increase. Even the dumbest people in congress know that if that happens there is great depression 2: back with a vengance, and the US lose almost all of its international pull and sway, probably to germany, china, or russia. They might gently caress around but they know better than to risk american hegemony.

Being a direct threat to american hegemony didn't stop trump getting elected in the first place.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

KickerOfMice posted:

What will the administration look like after nature reclaims it?

Depends on which member you mean: trump will look like an orange left out too long in the sun.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
He might resign, but it sure as hell wouldn't be quietly.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Avirosb posted:

A drat shame Assange can't post this on his own account.

Speaking of, is he still hiding out in that one room in the Ecuadorian embassy?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

2 weeks until NAFTA negotiations start. Seems so far away now.

Don't worry, the negotiations themselves will be cut short when Trump gives away the west coast for a gold plaque with his name on it and whatever's inside the mystery box.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

tentative8e8op posted:

I wonder how much more it'll take.

By next week he'll be declaring that the cowardly and sad USA is now a vassal of the great and mighty Russian Empire.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

This would never happen. There'd be nothing left but dried up, leathery skin if you removed all the pus.

They use a bike pump to re-inflate, you can see how well it works by looking at Ted Cruz.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So I just heard on the radio about the Secret Service being forced into a trailer outside Trump Tower. Is this new? With the sheer insane stupidity of this administration, I can't even tell if something that mindbogglingly dumb just happened or has been going on for a while now.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

So it seems large and extremely important parts of the US government are just completely collapsing on the inside due to negligence. That's um. Concerning.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
To be honest, I don't even think a complete lack of military preparedness says anything about whether or not Trump is thinking of going to war because I don't think he knows you have to prepare.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Man the new terminator movie looks really dumb.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Doesn't Musk support Trump?

He did up until he quit the paris agreement, I think.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Ah okay, in 2017 Nazis are eliminated by doxxing them.

Hey, it worked for superman and the KKK.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PainterofCrap posted:

And what happens to them when they commit such acts? They walk away scot-free?

Think it through.

They pretty much always do.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kale posted:

Oh boy the drama never stops does it. This is what a Trump vacation looks like.

This reminds me, is he still on vacation?

I guess speculation that things would slow down was unfounded after all.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Russians suck and Hillary sucked at campaigning

There, we all suck now

Lets suck our way towards a better future :buddy:

Edit; I could have phrased that better

Bill Clinton was Right.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

That is the most amazingly terrible wording possible for that first tweet. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

If the public is that motivated for that long, be easier to appoint two new liberal Justices (bringing the Court to eleven) rather than convince Gorsuch to resign.

They should make it thirteen and bring forth the reign of liberal darkness. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread