Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TGLT posted:

I mean there's literally nothing to gain for McCain at this point one way or the other. Might as well vote the way your poo poo heart says.

It implies that these people truly believe what they say and they aren't just selling out to corporations, which is far more terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

farraday posted:

There's an interesting procedural wrinkle with this that goes back to something we talked about earlier. This is technically not the vote on BRCA+Cruz, it's a vote to wave the Byrd rule on BRCA+Cruz

I have no idea why that would make the difference but maybe Cotton really loves the Byrd rule?

I did not know that, but that makes a LOT of sense. A couple of these guys might vote yes for the amendment, but they don't want to set a precedent of waiving the Byrd rule, especially since the Byrd rule helps the GOP a hell of a lot more than the Dems.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Not sure who hasn't voted yet, but we're stuck at 42-57

edit: and its final, 43-57. Get hosed, Ted Cruz.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

TGLT posted:

I mean there's literally nothing to gain for McCain at this point one way or the other. Might as well vote the way your poo poo heart says.

I think it's important to remember that. This is who John McCain is. Who he's always been. He's always been poo poo. He has ALWAYS. Been. poo poo.

Remember him for that. For being poo poo.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Angry_Ed posted:

Fair enough, for some reason I thought they were just going to pretend that this was totally able to be passed through reconcilation because McConnell has shown he doesn't care about the rules when he's in charge

The Byrd rule is a point of order that can be brought up by any Senator, it's built into the law and can't be waived by the Majority leader.

The fact this is procedural is the only way I can really explain the mix of nos.

Final tally.
Susan Collins Me.
Bob Corker Tenn.
Tom Cotton Ark.
Lindsey Graham S.C.
Dean Heller Nev.
Mike Lee Utah
Jerry Moran Kan.
Lisa Murkowski Alaska
Rand Paul Ky.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, why wasn't Gardner ever on the "moderate" list? Colorado voted for Hilary by a decent margin. Is it just that 4 years is too far in legislative memory?

never gave any indication that he gave a gently caress what colorado thought

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the cruz amendment is completely unworkable horseshit that satisfies no one except ted cruz so that he can bitch about being the only true conservative while selling his vote on a later version of the bill.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually I'm now further confused, because without that, wouldn't that pretty much kill BRCA+Cruz? There's no way they're getting 60 votes for that. Again I sorta feel like they're trying to frontload the poo poo for people to symbolically vote against, then say "look how reasonable we are voting yes for this thing that wasn't as bad"

This whole process seems kind of thrown together after the second(third?) plan collapsed. McConnell let Cruz try and pitch his bullshit to, it appeared at the time anyways, prove to him and the hard right their poo poo was never going to go anywhere. Instead it came out McConnell was telling two stories to the two sides of the senate and here we are. They are trying to frontload the votes that are doomed, sure, but probably not to distract from the skinny repeal so much as to take one last shot at getting everything they want in one go.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It implies that these people truly believe what they say and they aren't just selling out to corporations, which is far more terrifying.

They're not that smart or clever or conniving or Hollywood villain-esque. House of Cards is a fun show, but there's no reason to suspect Republicans aren't the lovely people they say they are.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

The Byrd rule is a point of order that can be brought up by any Senator, it's built into the law and can't be waived by the Majority leader.

The fact this is procedural is the only way I can really explain the mix of nos.

Final tally.
Susan Collins Me.
Bob Corker Tenn.
Tom Cotton Ark.
Lindsey Graham S.C.
Dean Heller Nev.
Mike Lee Utah
Jerry Moran Kan.
Lisa Murkowski Alaska
Rand Paul Ky.

cotton wants to run for president and knows this is poo poo, corker is up for election in 18 and doesnt want to give a challenger an opening, dunno about graham

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, they are bringing up Paul's amendment, this is the 2015 repeal.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I fully expect Ted Cruz to do his own dumb as gently caress variation of Mr Smith Goes to Washington pretty much once a year from this point on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FizFashizzle posted:

the cruz amendment is completely unworkable horseshit that satisfies no one except ted cruz so that he can bitch about being the only true conservative while selling his vote on a later version of the bill.

I really don't understand why he ever put it forward. It was a garbage amendment and it seems like everyone but Cruz knew it.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

evilweasel posted:

yeah, I posted this earlier but he essentially ran as a moderate to fool CO voters during a midterm but really doesn't give a gently caress about what Coloradans actually want. He's going to be gone in 2020, and he knows this, so he's trying to burn as much down as he can while he's still in the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really don't understand why he ever put it forward. It was a garbage amendment and it seems like everyone but Cruz knew it.

goal was to sabatoge pre-existing coverage protection, but subtlely

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ted Cruz thinks he's a real legislator instead of a giant bug alien in a human suit.

evilweasel posted:

goal was to sabatoge pre-existing coverage protection, but subtlely

Cruz is about as subtle as a moving van full of pianos falling down a cliff.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sounds like they will not vote on the doomed 2015 repeal tonight, but they are going to allow anyone to give a speech if they want to.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

His farts smell like flowers.

Pauls amendment is next. It will be done tomorrow.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Vote tomorrow at 3:30pm ET

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

satisfy cruz's ego?

wear out people by doing the unspeakably evil poo poo first then move to the extremely evil stuff?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McConnell needs time to buy votes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's both and it's always been both.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

His entire legislative game is to attempt to sabotage Republican bills. It's sheer base play, even if his proposals don't really make sense from the hard right perspective either.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
What is stopping Americans from purchasing health insurance in countries where health insurance is much cheaper and still has decent care like eastern asia or latin america and just all flying there for the 100k+ surgeries?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I did not know that, but that makes a LOT of sense. A couple of these guys might vote yes for the amendment, but they don't want to set a precedent of waiving the Byrd rule, especially since the Byrd rule helps the GOP a hell of a lot more than the Dems.

waiving the byrd rule via 60 votes is an ordinary and normal thing nobody objects to, because it means you got 60 votes, this procedure is written into the statute and isnt any sort of monkey business

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigel posted:

This is probably the Cruz amendment.

McCain's tumor voted yes.

:siren: Rand Paul no :siren:

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/890025488860708864

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

What is stopping Americans from purchasing health insurance in countries where health insurance is much cheaper and still has decent care like eastern asia or latin america and just all flying there for the 100k+ surgeries?

go to bed migf, you're drunk

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The vote tomorrow is expected to fail, just like tonight's vote was expected to fail by everyone who was paying attention before the MTP.

The only interesting vote will be when they finally get to the skinny repeal which was sprung on us this morning, and any other new ideas the turtle may come up with, but we already know the 2015 repeal vote is doomed to fail.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

cotton wants to run for president and knows this is poo poo, corker is up for election in 18 and doesnt want to give a challenger an opening, dunno about graham

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/890026431513808896

I have a feeling this objection won't seem as pressing when the skinny repeal comes through.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sell out long enough and you end up believing your own con.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/890026431513808896

I have a feeling this objection won't seem as pressing when the skinny repeal comes through.

They have a score for skinny repeal. It feels new to us, but it was an old idea that got scored long ago. It is by far the least-bad serious idea the GOP has, which is why we are nervous that the moderates might accept it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I wish they wouldn't call it the skinny appeal because it still causes a death spiral of the insurance markets.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
If 60 voted for the ted cruz amendment the amendment would of been added to the bill but there's a final vote on the bill itself right?

So voting yes on the Amendment isn't voting yes on the bill

so I mean
if all the dems voted yes on the cruz amendment to poisin the package would that have worked?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Where does the healthcare vote currently stand, now? Did they get through clean repeal, now they're on the Cruz amendment, and skinny repeal is tomorrow, that's what I'm gathering? I'm exhausted from trying to keep up from which part of McConnell's idiot maze we're currently sifting through.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Hollismason posted:

I wish they wouldn't call it the skinny appeal because it still causes a death spiral of the insurance markets.

skinny repeal bc you're literally starving to death trying to pay for your family's health care

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Where does the healthcare vote currently stand, now? Did they get through clean repeal, now they're on the Cruz amendment, and skinny repeal is tomorrow, that's what I'm gathering? I'm exhausted from trying to keep up from which part of McConnell's idiot maze we're currently sifting through.

They did not get through clean repeal, that is tomorrow. They just shot down the BCRA+Cruz Amendment. No one expects clean repeal to survive either. Fact they're not voting on it tonight is probably, as some one earlier said, McConnell buying time for votes for their real plan which is the skinny repeal.

Hollismason posted:

Is there a word for offensive rebranding? Cuz I'm all for that and we can call it the kneecap repeal or something. edit: oh god this is the line of thinking that leads to trumped up trickle down oh god some one please kill me oh god kill me

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 26, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Richard Bachman's Thinner Repeal

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would be super surprised if Skinny Repeal weren't some senator's oh-so-cutesy reference to a skinny margarita.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Also this. He'd be another entry on the list of hilariously loud no votes if he were listening to his state, but...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

If 60 voted for the ted cruz amendment the amendment would of been added to the bill but there's a final vote on the bill itself right?

So voting yes on the Amendment isn't voting yes on the bill

so I mean
if all the dems voted yes on the cruz amendment to poisin the package would that have worked?

No, the 60 vote requirement for unscored amendments is when you vote on the amendment. After that, the bill would still only need 50 votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Are you hosed in the head? Even if an overseas flight and passport were something everyone could afford and legally do, lots of times when you need an expensive surgery you're in no condition to FLY ACROSS A GODDAMN OCEAN. And that's not even to mention the people who require continuing care for a chronic condition. You giant loving sociopathic moron.

• Locked thread