Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it's like this thread thinks that trump won in a reaganesque landslide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

A GOP politician who physically assaulted a reporter on the eve of the election while simultaneously working to take healthcare away from his voters is going to win an election tomorrow. It absolutely isn't.

It doesn't matter one way or the other because a Republican in a heavily conservative district is actually having to fight, and if he wins it's going to be relatively narrow

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

Arkansas? No. Arkansas is almost totally flat, which is why they had plantation agriculture, which is why the people there are weak. Like, isn't this a basic fact that everyone knows?

Areas with mountains mean that communities have to be self-regulating and responsible. The relatively mountainous areas in the south were areas that refused plantation agriculture and the confederacy.

An Eastern state, like Arkansas, is flat, the people grew up to depend on a slave-holding society instead of being individualistic, so they glorify stupidity and conformity.

West Virginia is a flat, suburban area just outside of Washington, D.C. Like, that is so basic I always took it for granted, are there people who look at it differently? Wow.

What are the Ozarks? What are the Appalachians? My dude, I'm from the west and I give my Virginian/North Carolinian gf poo poo about growing up next to hills, but you're a goddamn idiot

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

The highest point in Arkansas is 2700 feet.

That is a hill!

The highest point in Arkansas is 800 feet lower than my house in Montana, and I lived at the bottom of one of Montana's lower valleys.

Like, without exagerration, I grew up thinking of "mountains" as meaning places that are rocky, covered with snow 10 months a year, at least a mile above sea level, above the timberline...Like, you East Coast people know that "Timberline" isn't just a brand name for clothing, that is a real thing, an altitude where trees don't grow? You do know that, right?

This is the most bizarre derail. I grew up 1000 feet higher than you did and neither me nor anybody else who grew up there has any problems with referring to peaks not the Rockies as "mountains"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rigel posted:

polls close 10pm ET

We might have results trickling in an hour later, and maybe a winner by midnight.

oh good, so we can all be drunk already for if Quist loses

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

What were Obama's numbers at this point?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Harrow posted:

Wow, that Clinton dip :eyepop:

Yeah what happened then?

e: ahh, Waco

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 25, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Isn't Merkel conservative anyway? Wouldn't Tormp be chill with her if she were a dude? I can't help but feel his anti-German leanings come down to Merkel being a strong woman that he wouldn't find useful as a sex object.

This loving year :psyduck:

Conservatives in Germany are basically Democrats

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

But, like, weren't Conservatives all for immigration just a short while ago? More money and stuff.

Or were UK Conservatives always against it?

Would "Blairite Labour" be more comparable to Clinton and Establishment Dems?

Yeah, Bill Clinton and Tony Blair were both centrist "Third Way" candidates

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

This is incredibly fake are you all stupid or something.

lol yeah, I was gonna say. you think an actual c&d would threaten to "have your rear end in a sling by lunch"?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Wark Say posted:

I forget, who is the ghouliest (most racist) of them all? Sessions or Gorsuch?

Uh, Sessions. Gorsuch is just your average conservative justice

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

Pigs, not dogs. Pigs are a big problem in Texas. There was a thread a while back in Ask/Tell about a crazy fucker who hunted them with thermal camera equipped remote model airplanes and steel spears.

Are they javelinas? Those things will gently caress you up

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Why is Kentucky so drat poor if it has so much local industry and tourism?

I mean there's nowhere else in the US that has some of the most famous liquor, the worlds most famous horse race, the worlds biggest cave, and the appalachian mountains.

Isn't dollywood there too?

Dollywood's in Tennessee. Right near Pigeon Forge, the tackiest most god-awful looking town that I have ever laid eyes on

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

No Butt Stuff posted:

Ivanka seems to be stretching longer and longer at each photo op.

she touched the Orb

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who was the psycho who defended the use of guns in schools because of Wild Boars? Because I'm starting to think she had a point.

That would be Betsy DeVos

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Electric Bugaloo posted:

We're gonna get sanctioned, aren't we...

No, that's just dumb poo poo that Trump is saying but won't follow through with once his people tell him it's stupid

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh come on. Are we now just preemptively shooting down any good news because... reasons?

have you been reading these threads?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Click the number of posts next to the thread title.

I had no idea you could do that. I'm 8th for this thread :unsmith:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

rob quist will make anime real

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Found any reasons to live yet, Covok?

bad posting

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Editing to remove unnecessary snark but holy poo poo there's a PETROLEUM COUNTY in Montana lolll

Utah has a Carbon County

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I had a professor who worked for John Cornyn. He then went on to clerk for Scalia :whitewater:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have Joe "West Virginia Democrat" Manchin and Shelly Moore Capito.

How do you think I feel?

Oh no, you said the M-word, now mcmagic is going to come post any second now

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I would clerk for Scalia and I'm not a lawyer or Republican, but when you get the chance to work for SCOTUS you take it.

Oh definitely, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But still

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Young Hegelian posted:

This is a ridiculous hypothetical, because my 1L grades would've needed to be a lot better, but I have no trouble saying I'd clerk for Scalia, Thomas, or Roberts, and I'm as poo poo-libby as they come. Alito, though. Man, I know you take the clerkship if offered, but I really loathe that son of a bitch.

Apparently Thomas is super friendly in person. I didn't go to Harvard so he's the only guy I would've had a shot with (if I'd booked every class lol)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Not only do I have NC senators, my representative is Mark Meadows.

I dare anyone here to out misery me in that regard.

Yeesh. It's a pretty area to drive through but man I would not want to live in that part of the state

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Bueno Papi posted:

Me too but one of those democrats is Feinstein. So, it's sorta a push at this point.

I don't understand why nobody's primaried her yet. It's not like they'd lose the general

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

What? No. Not knowing what you're doing means you're not good. It doesn't matter he was the terminator. That actually has nothing to do with anything.

Trump has taught me a thing. I hate Liberals. I thought I was one, I had Dan Savage on my phone and listened for years. Then Trump taught me what happens when these people don't get their way. What happens when everyone doesn't agree in unison to everything they say. They loving suck, they whinge and literally cry and 'boycott' but its a joke because they're mostly low income earners so who really gives a gently caress about which lentils you're going to buy this week..

So yeah, I can't identify with these people. It's funny because I guess I was a 'default' Liberal, I didn't really think one way or the other but when I was asked it seemed like the Liberals made sense. But that's only on the surface, when push comes to shove I really don't like who they are and what they represent.

what is this post

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

oh is this another liberal hugbox where anyone that doesn't crack jokes at Donald's expense is big bad man that wants to take your lentil soup away? Sorry, I didn't know..

__________________________/

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lentils own. Especially in Ethiopian food

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

just realized I have some lentils. lentil stew is pretty easy, hmm....

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

failing forward posted:

It's real good with ham in it.

don't have any ham but I do have tomatoes and enough spices to make it work

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Seems about time for a BBQ derail.

The best BBQ sauce is eastern NC-style (fight me, Asheville guy)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Dude's probably gonna lose but what's important is the amount he loses by. A single-digit loss is still bad news for GOP

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Isn't the issue with this race that it shouldn't be remotely close, to the point where +10 for a republican there is a warning sign for tight races later?

Exactly, Covok's making GBS threads up the thread notwithstanding

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Montana is a deep red state that because of Trump's toxicity is having an election that makes it purple. Which means that states that are already purple are going to be trending blue.

That's the point of this whole thing.

i think you'll find that republicans will always win, forever

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Western style go die heretic

Nice wrong opinion :smug:

Also my GF's parents would never talk to me again if I preferred western-style

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to sound ~Covokian~ here, but voters come 2018 won't care or care to remember what happened in another state, so using this as a benchmark for the ~growing tide of progressivism~ is *also* a bit premature.

you have a point, but it's less that people will remember montana and more an assumption that the shift in montana is present in the rest of the country as well

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I can't believe that it's going to be legal to punch reporters now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

Electorate, not country.
And 2016's electorate was some sort of weird mutant that spawned non-voters to show up.

The great democratic project of our time is mid terms, they need to matter, always. Giving into the nihilism of despair is not an option, for the sake of the future.

If there's one good thing to come from Trump, it showed a lot of people that midterms and local races matter. Hopefully we see this in action in 2018

• Locked thread