Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chilichimp posted:

Is Chris Hayes good? He seems insufferable. To a lesser degree than O'Donnell, but STILL

Don't bother with his ilk, there's plenty of better journalists in the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Was this confidential info or is it known we have subs there?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/867335646423265280

You. Do Not. Tell. Anyone. Where Ohios are.

Actually, poo poo, subs near North Korea? I'll bet you 50-50 odds one of those is Jimmy Carter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RiggenBlaque posted:

This feels a little embarrassing to ask, but what specifically did Joe Lieberman do that everyone hates him? I live in CT and it seems like literally everyone in the state despises him.

Keeps undermining progressive policy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

evilweasel posted:

He wasn't a toadie but he did collaborate in Comey's firing and the coverup.

Explain?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On this topic of Comey, coverup, and memos, crossposted from another thread:

So, the title of this thread may end up being wrong. Russia may not end up being the topic that matters; even in the light of the recent FBI raids on half a dozen Republican party contractors, the least contentious topic of inquiry is now obstruction of justice. This graphic exaggerates several accusations, but it points out what I'm talking about.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/867375384270168064

Two accusations, firing Comey and stating that Sessions ought not to recuse himself, are supported by plain language by Donald Trump himself, with the Comey admission on camera in closeup. The notion that firing Comey was obstruction of justice is black and white: if you are able to frame it otherwise, you are capable of ignoring video evidence or thinking Trump was just kidding in turned out to be a serious and frank interview. Comey's memos on the proceedings of meetings he had with Donald Trump, in which Comey was asked in no uncertain terms to drop the Manafort investigation, shift this interpretation of Trump's damning admission in the recorded Lester Holt interview from near certainty to virtually absolute certainty.

Trump stating that Sessions ought not to recuse himself, so far as I am aware, was merely an official opinion and not actually something the White House took procedural action on. It is thus likely an exaggeration; that's not a crime. The Yates firing, so far as publicly available and auditable information go, can be swung as a reaction to inaction on the first major immigration EO of 2017. Sure, it placed Sessions in a position to firewall Trump from the justice system, but it would be fancifully speculative at this time to think this was the main reason Yates was fired as it is perfectly normal to replace AGs upon inauguration. That accusation is an overreach; Trump did probably fire Yates over the EO.

The rest of the accusations require document discovery proceedings, leaks, or subpoenas for testimony to verify and are thus, right now, overreaching.

That leaves us with one black and white instance of obstruction of justice with documents in the historical record to confirm a criminal interpretation of Donald Trump's intent. Donald Trump engaged in criminal activity. The game is over there, with any future testimony from a DJT team member testifying in exchange for immunity from anything discovered in the numerous FBI's raids on GOP organizations only dumping more icing on the cake. If McConnell and Ryan are unable to block hearings or public disclosure of the special prosecutor's findings, it is over. Any trial would be a fait accompli.

(Edited for Twitter embed)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crazy Ferret posted:

Yes.

I have family in Alabama and it's always fun seeing the number of private schools established in 1954, basically immediately after Brown vs Board of Education. It's a dog whistle.

"Celebrating 60 years of excellence!"

Crabtree posted:

On the plus side, most of the racists can't really afford the likely terrible education of said private schools to begin with - so homeschool it is for you, Ezekiel Josh-Marty!

They can get pretty cheap, especially for a family living on cheap real estate in a quiet neighborhood in Alabama.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alter Ego posted:

In a 5-4 decision...

"...golly, I just can't find anything in this statute [points to a copy of the constitution] that specifies that schools with federal funding have to admit 'LGBQ' students."

-Justice Neil Gorsuch, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rigel posted:

This may be correct, but the 21% who are STILL with him now are either not paying any attention at all, or they will be bitter enders.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/867419203065835520

One in five showing strong support is still way too high a population of would-be Braunhemden in a free country.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

theflyingorc posted:

My thoughts on Nate Silver and 538 are now always as follows:

"He is probably right"

He did unironically provide the actual electoral map as a contender in November.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rigel posted:

This may be correct, but the 21% who are STILL with him now are either not paying any attention at all, or they will be bitter enders.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/867419203065835520

I call into wonder just how much of the explosive growth of the "strongly disapprove" set is a flip directly from strongly approve / somewhat approve right to the opposite end of the spectrum once voters realized (1) Trump lied about healthcare (2) Trump was actually serious about going full focus on immigration over other promises on economic end ethics topics.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ted Bundy and Waco: The Video Game

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

theflyingorc posted:

a 64 year old person on a fixed income earning $26,500 a year would have an expected yearly insurance cost of $13,600.

over half of your money goes to health insurance. after that you are living on poverty wages, and you're 64. there's no future for you.

We are about to test Justice Neil Gorsuch's thesis on assisted suicide.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mountains.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/867519689252929540

Seems like it actually happened and we'll have evidence soon.

Please dear god let this Matter.

Please don't come across like a sissy whiny libtard overaggressive fake news journalist who deserved it ba'gawsh :pray:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

THE BAR posted:

This might've been posted before, but I just love that little finger wiggling action that's going on here. :buddy:

Table behind the closeup.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

no as in this is fake, I think.

Broad shot: people against a white wall, there is a coat hangar or something behind them.

Close shot: people are in front of a wide table with a phone or a book in the center, there is clearly no wall.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mister Adequate posted:

Man yo I want to distance myself from glowing fish's overnight crazy, I was just giving people poo poo because hey what's the point in having states if not to give people in other states poo poo, but that dude crazy.

I'm goddamn loving this Gianforte mess though. Imagine doing something that gets you charged with assault on the eve of the election.

Insert standard "Imagine if a democrat did this" here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dmitri-9 posted:

It's a pretty big problem when the republican opponent is an unpopular carpetbagger, with lots of oligarchical comments and positions, and has no gun control wedge issue to help him. That means that the election was lost on messaging, real ideological differences, and/or tribalism. If the dems can't change enough hearts and minds in a purple state with a populist message like Quist then they are just a rump party. The close race narrative works in Kansas but Montana is more of a swing state.

I think you might be beyond anything other than clinical deprogramming.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mother of God.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Reported by who, and for what exactly

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nonsense posted:

I was just informed the source of that Report to the FBI tweet is some kind of Louise Mensch type figure.

Yeah makes sense.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sloober posted:

gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

Do it.

Holy poo poo do it right the gently caress now, as fast as you can.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CelestialScribe posted:

I think Zuckerberg's motives are questionable but he is absolutely not an idiot, in any way, shape or form. The problem with the left is that so many view CEOs as worthless suits who don't contribute to their businesses when in fact many are actually brilliant strategic minds who can understand complex ideas and make hard choices as a result, while still allowing an ecosystem - a business - to thrive.

I don't support a Zuck candidacy so I'm not saying "he ran a business so he can run government", but you don't run a company like Facebook without having at least a higher than average intelligence, and Zuck has it. Whether you like it or not or whether you like what he stands for, or not.

Dude, he described himself in 2010 in a party as a fish out of water who felt like he was undeserving of the stroke of luck he had in being able to poach Sandberg as COO. In person he is awkward as hell and appears not to have improved on that front. He has trouble eloquently answering questions off the cuff.

He's not a leader, and my opinion here is backed by a number of friends who have jogged the FB / Google / MS circuit before settling in with their long term gigs.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 26, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rinkles posted:

How big is the alt-right actually? They're loud, but I've always suspected the coverage they got was disproportionate.

Electorate % isn't the problem when they doxx opponents, generate fake news, and hold torchlit vigils with Richard Spencer outside primarily black neighborhoods.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CelestialScribe posted:

I literally just said this a page or two back.

Perhaps you missed the point in my post where I said he shouldn't run, and that I think he is a bad candidate, and that I was simply responding to the point he isn't intelligent.

Intelligent - yes. Candidate - no.

Euuuh I'm standing by it, I kinda take intelligence as a more complete set of expectations to meet than a straight D20 game's INT stat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

loving lol, he's going to start deleting emails and destroying documents like he has done three separate times in the past in response to a request for discovery.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Darth Windu posted:

Can someone honestly explain why the Seth rich thing isn't super worrisome, thanks in advances.

Kim Dotcom promised evidence then couldn't produce any, every initial source claiming to have information on Seth Rich has since recanted. I'm about as concerned about Seth Rich's murder being more than a mugging as I am about Apollo 11 not having actually visited the moon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Peven Stan posted:

In my city democrats have mismanaged things for decades. They also run a machine political operation where all candidates are carefully vetted for loyalty to the local party organization and/or major donors to the party.

For example, the alderwoman in my ward became the mayor so they are going to have a special election. The ward party committee had a backroom session to pick the candidate and decided to go with a young hedge fund manager who is up and coming in city politics.

The only hitch was that she's been living in the city only for 1.5 years when you need to be a resident for 3 to stand for election. They literally broke their own laws to get her on the ballot and had to scramble at the last minute to pick a new one.

Compare this rigid machine bullshit to how local republican committees operate, which is let any dittohead show up and run for office. As long as they put in the effort of campaigning they can win. It results in the GOP having a reliable farm system for candidates to spread their filth views everywhere vs. the democrats being reliant on big city machines to produce candidates of dubious quality and merit.

4th ward has good bars tho

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

White Supremacist Mr Christian

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

You fantasize about murdering people on the other side of the aisle. Let's not pretend you are anything but a crazy person.

projection dot com

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chilichimp posted:

The president acting like a child during the Arlington memorial day ceremony is what is wrong, though.

It doesn't matter, he's a giant douchebag, but there's not a president in my memory who could act like this, on this day, at this ceremony and not be called out for it.

just imagine

Barabus "Barry" tgehe Rock Osama

doing this very thing

and how 40% of the the country would respond

E - This is not the CSPAM thread, but gently caress it

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hollismason posted:

Wait is it inappropriate to sing along with the National Anthem.

This is at the Tomb. Look into Mattis' eyes and answer that question yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

When you're at Arlington to honor fallen service members on Memorial Day, yes, it is inappropriate to sway back and forth and lazily mouth the words like a bored toddler.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Having attended this very event years ago and still having it sitting in my memory as one of the most profound moments in my national identity, I can tell anyone not seeing the problem here, with confidence, that you and your intellectual dishonesty in insisting that you can't see what Trump is doing here can gently caress right the gently caress off and take a long hard look at the caricature of a patriot you have become.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Drone posted:

Reminder that the @POTUS Twitter account is, with like 99.9% certainty, never ever personally controlled by Trump, rather a member of the White House communications staff. There's a very real reason why the empty platitudes were posted there and not from @realDonaldTrump.

His followers know the @POTUS platitudes are the conventional lip service that needs to be paid.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This cannot be real

Geek crate

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what is it exactly that Fulchrum is trying to say?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne

you're going to find it very hard to get the western world to agree with the idea that obummer is a war criminal

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There Bias Two posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were cops who joined them while off-duty.

Ding ding ding

Law enforcement and military personnel are the natural allies of militias. Remind yourself of who made up a great majority of the Brownshirt membership in the 1920s.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crain posted:

This is all true, but at least wrt suspending elections I think it's just so far outside of the realm of possibility. See Drone's post: There isn't a legal mechanism for enacting such a thing, so in order to suspend elections they'd literally have to attempt a full on coup of the US government and dissolve it, or attempt a constitutional amendment to allow them to do so legally. Which is just not possible in the next 3 years.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

2) They're girding up by reaching out to militia groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crain posted:

It's worrying, but I don't see the end result of vaguely allied militia groups as a full coup. At best they start "patrolling" their areas pretending to play cop and get push back from the real police for stepping on their turf, and the ones that end up killing anyone get arrested and sentenced and the GOP just goes "oh wow what a crazy lone wolf with no connection to anything" like usual. These guys are not actually very good at what they do, and they are not being lead by geniuses (as we're finding out).

I'll gladly ear crow if they do end up forming a de facto paramilitary and announce they're taking over.

Mostly because that'll be all that's left to eat.

So, I'm more worried than you are because we have already seen juries nullify clearly-guilty conservative perps who do stupid things with guns to federal property and minorities on video then brag about it over social media.

• Locked thread