Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I have definitely known and worked with people who considered Christianity to be their "Get out of morality free" card. They're free to lie, cheat, backstab, and swindle without the slightest guilt because they could just pray and all was forgiven, no apology to their victims needed. I know not all religious people are like this, but there's definitely quite a few who are. I wouldn't trust anyone who brings up their faith during a business transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rigel posted:

writer is a token female republican
Oh, my guess was that it was the opening to some guy's fanfic about that scene in Ghostbusters where Ray gets a beej from a ghost lady.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Come on and slam! Welcome to the... House of Representatives?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

RZApublican posted:

Why do they put "-pede" at the end of the names of people they like?

Pedeophilia?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did Hannity have a stroke or something? Who writes like that?
... Oh god, he's going to run for President, isn't he?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Ghetto Prince posted:

Reagan was younger and healthier though.
And had a lifetime of acting talent and charisma to fall back on even when everything else was failing... and he wasn't actively at war with his own staff who was doing the actual work.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lemming posted:

Not that I believe anything the Russians say but still lol
If we're lucky, the pattern we've seen repeatedly over the past 4 months will continue. A rumor will come from an unverified source. Trump's staff will deny it, which should settle the unverifiable matter... Then Trump will start bragging that he totally did it.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
He thinks anyone who doesn't follow "Christ's message of love, charity, and forgiveness" should be shoved into ovens and burned alive... I get a headache just trying to imagine how one person could think both of those things, and this guy fit them together into one sentence like it was nothing.

Potato Salad posted:

White Supremacist Mr Christian
Yet another thing in 2017's long line of items that would be too stupid and/or on-the-nose to write into a fictional story.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

zonohedron posted:

Pros of having a boar as president instead:
unlikely to have sexually assaulted any humans
unlikely to go golfing instead of working
likely to prefer eating Russians over working with them

Cons:
unlikely to actually be 35 years old and thus constitutional amendment needed
all communication in grunts that must be interpreted by staffers
likely to prefer eating staffers over working with them
I don't think the communication would be any worse than now. Or any different.

Night10194 posted:

Last one is also not a con.
It's a solid Pro. The Pro-est.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

rkajdi posted:

I agree that our interventions for the last half century or so have been poo poo and in no way fought for our (or really anyone's) freedom. That said, the kids who get sent out there to die deserve nothing but the best from our society
Agreed. They answered when America called on them, and deserve all the credit for that regardless of the outcome. It's not their fault that America called on them for absolute bullshit reasons and threw their lives away so someone in charge could earn a few approval points with their base or put a bit more money in their pockets from oil or defense contracts. We hold parades and ceremonies to put on a show of honoring dead soldiers, when the only true way to honor the those dead soldiers is to stop making so many of them.

Having Donald Trump even at the ceremony today is kind of offensive, because every action he's taken in his life makes it clear that if given the choice between giving an order that would save twenty American lives or giving an order that would put twenty bucks in his pocket instead, he's going to pick option "B" in a heartbeat, and be angry that you wasted his precious time to ask.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nerdz posted:

Lol, what the hell is this supposed to mean?
Frog emoji and Soup emoji... Unless she's talking about that scene in Empire Strikes Back when Yoda served Mark Hamill some soup, which doesn't seem relevant to this topic, I'm I have no idea what she's trying to say.

Edit:

RevKrule posted:

This is the reference

Ohhhh, it's a cup of tea. I sort of forgot that the entire Republican platform is memes now, mostly frog-based. To be fair, reality is a bit too stupid these days for me to keep track.

gently caress it, I'm sticking with my interpretation. She's saying "Hey, remember that scene from Empire where Yoda fed you? I liked that." That's still less dumb than what she meant.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 30, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

evilweasel posted:

you should probably sell them, you're not going to meaningfully reduce the amount of guns in circulation but taking money away from crazy people who already have tons of guns is beneficial
Also, whoever buys them was going to buy a gun anyway, but at least this way the money isn't going to the manufacturer and a gun shop.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Reports of Trump being "too articulate" feel exactly the same as the stories of Kim Kong Il playing his first game of golf and coming in 38 under par. They're bullshit on such a grand level that no sane person could ever believe it, but said completely straight-faced as if we are expected to... And somehow, some people will believe it because their minds have been broken

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

guys what house of Hogwarts do you think republicans would be assigned to?
The Dursleys' house. Even Slytherins have their limits.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bhaal posted:

Good lord the amount of insecurity they have is mesmerizing.

Why not just make a statement like: "The president obviously meant 'coverage' and had more to write but, as we've all experienced, he had a little fumble...
I think the answer is stupidly simple. Trump can not ever admit he made a mistake, no matter how big or how utterly insignificant. A sane person would just say "Oops, I far fingered a key there" and that would be the end. Trump absolutely can not admit ANY error, and is probably demanding that his staff waste a day coming up with an explanation that makes it look intentional. If Spicer came out and said "oh yeah, that was just a typo, we all do it sometimes" his boss would probably go apeshit.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Wark Say posted:

Not cool! I'm about to clock out from work and the last thing I need is that loving image in my head! :mad:
As absolutely awful of a mental image that is, I think hearing it would be even worse than seeing it.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 1, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Fart City posted:

Honestly the idea that Trump has a verbal contract with his wife that keeps him from having sex with her but still allows him to project the concept that he's married to a supermodel to the public is like the most Trump Art Of The Deal poo poo possible.
It's like a classic "beard" scenario, but far more pathetic. Instead of having an arrangement with a woman to hide the fact that he's gay, it's an arrangement to hide the fact that he's just flat-out unfuckable. Think of how physically gross and personally unpleasant some rich guys are, and how many of them still seem to have something that at least looks like a loving relationship on the surface. Then imagine how much worse Trump must be if this is the closest facsimile of that he can manage.

Honestly, the thing that makes this rumor so credible is the simple fact that it's what everyone had to be assuming was true all along. It's not "Oh wow, what a juicy bombshell," it's "... Wait, was this not already just an assumed thing?"

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Is obstruction of justice, even with undeniable proof, even a problem? Is there any mechanism for making that actually matter that won't end in all three Republican-dominated branches of our government coming together in an unanimous "LOL, we don't care, red team means he can do as he pleases."

I don't mean this in a "nothing matters" way, I'm just unclear about who has the power to make this sort of thing matter in a direct way.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pellisworth posted:

it's pretty amazing we've gone from Harvard constitutional law professor and community organizer...
Remember when the big Republican talking point against Obama was that he had only been a Senator for a couple years and a "Community Organizer (lol that's not a thing)" and that he was unfit to be President because that wasn't nearly enough governmental experience to do such a serious job properly?

Skex posted:

The longer this thing goes on and the deeper the investigation goes the more people are going to get roped into it.
This. Getting Trump removed from office is not a thing we want to happen if it's ONLY Trump that is removed. Right now, Donald Trump's utter incompetence is the best shield we have against all of the horrible poo poo his administration wants to do. Imagine how much more they would have accomplished by now if not burdened with the walking clusterfuck that is Donald Trump.

If he is suddenly removed from office (or quits, or dies) then we have the same evil motherfuckers with the same horrible plans in action, but now without Trump disrupting all of it like an angry toddler. As hosed as it is, unless we can get a huge majority of Trump's people thrown out at the same time he is, we absolutely need Trump to stay in the White House until the 2018 midterms.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Aurubin posted:

Historically the Romans loving loved fish sauce, to the point where historians debate that they invaded part of Gaul for it's dope fish sauce.
England took over half the world in search of spices and teas. Empires do crazy poo poo when their food at home desperately needs to be kicked up a notch. The easy availability of spices today could actually be a significant factor in the past century being so much more peaceful than the previous ones. (Yes, even after factoring in two World Wars... The past was seriously loving awful.)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Trump compulsively tweets about every single thing that seems important to him at any point during his day. If he likes a piece of cake he had at lunch, he's going to tweet about ut.

Today the wife and child he's been apart from for five months moved in with him, literally bringing his family back together... but that doesn't seem to have been a tweet-worthy occasion for Donald.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Sessions makes it sound like America is ending. Where the hell did he get murder rate up 10%?
His basement.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Harrow posted:

All I'm saying is that if we suddenly have a Very Serious National Conversation about "left-wing terrorism" for a few weeks when right-wing terrorism has just gotten a pass for years, and Trump's approval ratings surge for a while after he condemns the "radical Democrat" who did this, none of you have any right to be surprised.
This is exactly what I expect, and it'll be terrible, but I'm curious to see how it'll be framed. Obviously they can't say guns are a problem. Saying it's a mental health issue will clash with their desire to take medical care from people. If the shooter is an older white Christian male who was born in the USA, there's all of their favorite cards out of play.

They're going to try to twist this to an advantage, and the fuckers will probably succeed because that's their superpower, but it'll at least take some effort.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
The narrative that really needs to come out of this that we have one party who wants to make it easier and realistically affordable for people to get mental health care before they start shooting or stabbing people, and one party that wants to make it much harder or unaffordable. The latter is fighting hard to make things even worse on that front right now.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Wark Say posted:

Jesus poo poo: Why is gun legislation/control that much of an loving issue in the USA?.
Don't think of him ownership as a hobby or a right, think of it as a religion. As stupid as that sounds, it'll get you closer to the truth than whatever logic you may try applying to it.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Low Desert Punk posted:

But those countries also don't have the ridiculous gun fetishization and culture that America does, so it's a little different
That's the depressing conclusion I keep coming to whenever I look into the subject. If other countries suddenly had the exact same gun laws we do, I don't think that would put their gun violence numbers in line with ours, or even close.

That's the problem with the idea of restrictive gun laws, other countries think it's such an obvious solution for us to take, but that may just be them charitably assuming we're much better people deep down than we actually are.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you could magically get rid of say 90 percent of guns the number of murders in this country would crater.
That's not wrong. But if you tried to get rid of say 15% of the guns, you'd have a civil war and there would be no country.

It's not a question of less guns equalling less gun violence, because obviously the answer is yes. It's a question of whether you could ever actually DO that, and in the USA, that's a massive no. We respond to school shootings by saying we need MORE guns, we are not a rational people.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 15, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Redbox feels like the last company that would exist in the far future
Anything with the word "Red" in it is probably safe in the future world of the GOPutin.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lote posted:

Is this ironic? I mean this would fly in the face of basic Newtonian physics.
Most flat-Earth theories fall apart under the extremely technical and hard to comprehend theory known as "Gravity points down, not South."

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

dr_rat posted:

Lost far to many friends and family members, from falling into the void below after they poorly tied off.
England didn't mean to send their convicts to Australia, the intent was just to throw them over the edge of the Earth.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Sitting here in June 2017, the whole "Bowling Green Massacre" thing genuinely feels like it happened years ago. The Trump Presidency is so loving absurd that I think it's doing serious damage to time itself.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

mango sentinel posted:

It should be chilling to you that we are missing key people we need to respond to a crisis.
Trump is waiting until he can star in a new season of The Apprentice, where each episode has a half-dozen washed up and b-grade celebrities competing to fill an absolutely vital government position just in time to hopefully avert some catastrophe caused by utter neglect. (Spoiler: it'll be too late to matter) The show will have huge ratings, and with Trump will also be a producer, he gets two paychecks for it. Sorry, three paychecks, since it'll be filmed at Mar-A-Lago.

Yeah, I'm joking... But in another six months this is all going to sound more realistic than whatever the gently caress is actually happening.

Seriously, why is Trump's complete disinterest in filling government positions not a huge goddamn news story?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Getting mad about an investigation being a "Witch Hunt" really loses its punch when the accused is hovering in the air on a broomstick, hurling balls of green flame, turning people into toads, then bragging loudly that they have the best hexes.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why would I be sad any of these idiots die? They don't give a poo poo about anyone their policies kill.
It's the Nazi punching argument all over again. Yes, some people desperately deserve to have bad things happen to them, but it is tactically a terrible idea to make those things happen, because it'll play into their favor, not yours. Even if it would be emotionally satisfying.

Indiana Jones is the gold standard of punching Nazis in the face because it's awesome, but even he knew not to punch Hitler himself when given the opportunity (in Last Crusade) because it would have worked against what he needed to accomplish.

Radish posted:

If someone like Mitch McConnell was President we would already be hosed and the system would have virtually no way to stop him.
Exactly. As hosed up as it is, Donald Trump is our shield, and we need him until the more competently evil fuckers beneath him can be removed. Impeaching him just puts someone horrible AND competent (well, less incompetent) in charge.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 18, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Sloober posted:

it's more likely to be up to two mass shootings per day by the end of this year
poo poo, this is America. If we could get DOWN to only two shootings a day, it would be a legit miracle.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hannity once ended his show by attacking Obama for putting mustard on a hamburger.

Thing is, at about this same point in Obama's first term, picking the elitist Dijon mustard rather than plain yellow mustard was the best they could do in their scramble to find any kind of scandal. Obama had also said he would go to the store to get arugula, which sounds fancy and elitist (it's a super common salad green), and that gave Fox News a solid week of pretending that was a scandal.

So, you see, both sides do scandalous things.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Those horrible Democrats, making such outlandish demands, like "we should be allowed to know what this thing says that we're voting on that will significantly impact tens of millions of Americans." They're such scumbags.

- Literally every conservative news outlet tomorrow, without the slightest hint of irony.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lote posted:

Who will people blame when their insurance premiums go up? It's going to be Congress and Trump. They can try to blame Obama but that is going to be less effective the longer that Trumpcare is in place.
Think of it as a safety net.

The effects of repealing ACA will likely be delayed so that the full damage doesn't kick in for a couple years. If Trump (or Pence, or whoever) wins re-election in 2020, then none of it mattered anyway.

But if a Democrat unseats Trump in 2020, the country's healthcare will be starting to seriously fall apart and begin leaving bankrupted corpses all over the country just in time for Republicans to blame it all on the Democrat who just took office. It won't make any sense to anyone who bothers to do the math, but that won't be an issue, because somehow that trick ALWAYS works for them.

The plan will be to ride that story into retaking a third of the government in 2022, and the final third again in 2024. (I'm just assuming the Judicial branch will already be turbo-hosed for a few decades)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I've always assumed that the fight against single payer and covering preexisting conditions was (in addition to the obvious profitability) an intentional design to keep the working class in line.

When the only reasonable way to get healthcare for yourself and your family is to take a lovely job that provides it, you'll take the lovely job. Once you have coverage through that job, anything you go to the doctor for essentially becomes blackmail material, because pretty much any of it constitutes a pre-existing condition now.

If you lose that job, that's it. Not only is your healthcare gone (unless you can pay it entirely out of pocket) but now you may never be able to get it back, from any provider. Even if you get a new job immediately, they tend not to begin offering coverage until 90 days after hiring, which means you weren't covered for a while and your preexisting conditions now count against you.

That's a deviously effective way to keep workers scared and compliant. It means any plan other than taking AND KEEPING a job forever with an employer that provides coverage is wildly irresponsible... Even worse if you have a family to care for.

Want to quit and find a higher paying job? Go for it, but that medication you need won't be covered anymore. Can you afford that?

Want to quit and start your own business? Go of for it... Gee, I hope your kid's minor health issue never gets any worse.

Is your boss abusing you, harassing, or doing shady poo poo? You could fight back, but if things don't go your way, say goodbye to that insulin you need.

Hey, they just cut your pay at work again to pay for the boss' new yacht. You could complain, maybe try to unionize... but that would likely just lead to them replacing you. Congrats, your Wife's cancer treatments just came to a sudden end, and you've effectively killed her. Welp, you know the saying, "The squeaky wheel gets to raise uninsured motherless kids alone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

namaste faggots posted:

Is there a parody zuck political campaigner Twitter yet? This motherfucker is ripe for comedy.
How would you even parody this? It already feels like a parody.

• Locked thread