Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/867095032851038209

:siren::siren::siren: The GOP has finally arrived at what caused Benghazi :siren::siren::siren:

And it was with a mind at prevention... When push comes to shove, was it ensuring Secretary Tillerson had operational control of embassies? No... it was arguing not to slash the budget of the State Department.

Considering how useful Benghazi was for them, I don't see how this isn't advertising to cut harder and faster so that they can go apeshit blaming whatever democrat they want to try to blame it on next time. They don't give a gently caress about the safety of embassies or americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

Just had a Trump supporter tell me that he didn't care if he were dirty or not because "you've got to get dirty to change things."

It's a hell of a time to be alive.

'as long as he's hurting minorities and people I don't like, I don't care about anything else' is what he's really saying. They would cheer trump burning down their house if it meant the liberal next door got mad about the smoke.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

good to know donald trump is still considered a senior administration official

As soon as I read this I immediately thought 'that is obviously trump talking.' It's amazing how oblivious he is to how distinct his speech patterns are. A vague, unverifiable yet grandiose claim about something that demonstrates a deep ignorance about the subject while claiming mastery at the same time? Why, who ever could that be?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

drat it. Might watch Hannity tonight to see if he comments on Rich and the Fox News retraction. Damnit.

Don't. You'll find out without having to watch.

mcmagic posted:

Even if she was right, she has been spending way too much time on it. Her show has become ponderous.

This, too, is a stupid opinion

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FourLeaf posted:

Ok, I'm sorry. I just thought it was better now that we have the evidence to support the Russia assertions rather than two months ago when she started off every show with breathless speculation, including implying that Putin personally ordered Trump to bomb Syria to throw off suspicion.

The thing is, it's always been incredibly obvious. I understand the desire to wait for concrete proof or whatever, but back when Trump randomly and for no reason started defending Russia during the debates, I immediately looked at my wife and said 'Um...I bet he's colluding with Russia to rig the campaign or something.' It only got more obvious that exactly that had happened as time went on and it hasn't stopped getting more obvious at any point. It only comes across as an insane conspiracy theory to some because they've been successfully reached with propaganda painting it that way. At no point has it ever been plausible to assert that nothing fishy happened with Russia - not ever.

Plus, if Putin didn't influence Trump to bomb Syria, or had nothing to do with that incident at all, I'd honestly be shocked. He is in up to his eyeballs with Russia and Putin. We just don't know all the details yet. So I don't think it's crazy to wonder if such things happened, rather it is insane to *not* wonder.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

Without MSM focusing so much on Russia, do you think Donald "Rating" Trump would have fired Comey? Maybe, but I personally believe Trump fired him because Comey was upstaging him in the news.

Yeah, when he said Comey was a 'showboat' it actually struck me as what Donald actually believed. I think he also fired him because of the Russia investigation but the tipping point was his jealousy over how much coverage Comey was getting. He's such a child and a narcissist that I just can't see that not being part of it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/867143093459570688

Please say you're quitting please say you're quitting please say you're quitting

Oh my. His future at Fox? Are we about to see Hannity join the Blaze?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this supposed to be bragging? Does he mean this to be impressive? :psyduck:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

HOLY poo poo THEY EDITED THE SHOT TO CUT OUT THE YARMULKE?!?!?!?!

(((Trump!)))

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Democrats have won two state legislative elections in districts that went for Trump:

https://twitter.com/NYWFP/status/867201289888960512

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/867174605693255684

(for clarity, in New York you can run as a nominee of multiple parties, she's a nominee of the democrats AND the working families party)

This is juicy, trump's really juiced up dem turnout even for state special elections.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

wow. Based on those two state-level special elections, my opinion on Rob Quist for Thursday went from about 25% to coin flip. He might actually win Montana's seat.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about Montana and Georgia. If the dems win both seats, it might finally make the republicans start actually turning on trump to try to save themselves. There are few safe seats anywhere in that case, even if the elections were held before whatever retarded bullshit trump will fill the time between now and 2018 with.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't be optimistic. It's way too early for that.

I'm kindof expecting some last minute vote fuckery in both races.

gently caress that, I'm on the optimistic mattering train.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

I hope Sean Hannity dies of literally anything.

No I want him to suffer, a lot

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

At the very end of her speech, she nearly word for word quoted Rick Ashley's never gonna give you up never gonna let you down, I just kinda assumed that was fully intentional.

And I'm not kidding about this either.

Could you quote this for me? Having trouble finding it in the speech myself.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this as bad as it looks to me? Like this looks even worse to me than the Israel Intel thing. He basically just also told North Korea that we just parked nuclear weapons close by them. I don't know how much of a secret it was though. In any case he was clearly bragging to duterte to impress him exactly like he did with the Russians and for the same reason.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

to be fair, the end goal of this is not to break up teachers unions

the end goal of this is to reintroduce religious education and indoctrination into american schools

devos is a christian dominionist

The end goal is to funnel money to her rich cronies, she doesn't give a gently caress about Jesus.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought CS Lewis loving sucked too and it irritates me to no end that christians hold him up as some kind of example. His bullshit made no sense and they probably haven't actually read it anyway.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

Tolkien hated the Narnia books and they were SUPER good friends, so you're hardly alone.

I think a number of Narnia books hold up really well for what they are.

I was referring to his collections of essays mostly but Narnia also sucks and is garbage.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So is the senate gonna vote on this bill now or....? Are they still rewriting it?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Quist is hammering the CBO score in the last day before the election in Montana.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is this a joke? Should I get it?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I kinda feel like this might only make it worse.

Took my cats for a walk for an hour and this poo poo went bananas. What a time to be alive.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

your cats go on walks? impressive

We put a harness on them and let them wander around wherever they wanna go. It's loving impossible to direct the little fuckers, 60% of the time they just lay down on a random patch of dirt and roll around or look up at me questioningly. But they go absolutely bat poo poo insane anytime we so much as look at the leashes, and they meow at the door like we're torturing them when it's 3-4 PM.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There are thousands of people watching this stream already.

"does his leaving constitute leaving the scene of the crime?"

"that will be part of the investigation"

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

And the graph is formatted to make it look like they'll triple. It's misleading.

This seems like such a stupid, quibbling, unnecessary point to make and belabor.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol this is fine

I will be pretty mad if he still wins after this.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe what Jacob's described was somehow way, way underselling what happened.

I was kind of wondering if fox was overselling it. I'm just really confused here. But he might have been underselling it to avoid being a whiny liberal stereotype and describing it in the least arguable, simplest way possible to avoid it getting bogged down in details.

Fox news has no reason to help him out here - they need to get ratings however they can. Gianforte isn't Trump and this ain't Russia(yet).

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

The sad part is that now Quist's win will be chalked up less to "Holy gently caress healthcare is toxic as poo poo you guys, don't vote for it" and more to "Don't commit a felony on the eve of your election."

And they won't learn the lesson, and they'll eat poo poo even harder as a result. Seems like the best possible outcome to me.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Other than the fact that it means they won't be concerned enough to back away from the healthcare bill. A Montana congressional seat means nothing. Keeping them from detonating the nation's healthcare system is a far more worthwhile goal unless you are going full accelerationist.

I don't think they are dumb enough to actually think the AHCA isn't an anchor around their necks, they just need to advertise it to their base as if it's not.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

yeah, everyone knows whats going on with Fox. They are burning Gianforte now so that they can explain to their audience that the crazyman who committed a felony in front of 3 and a half witnesses the night before the election did not lose because of Trump or health care.

Dem turnout will be boosted by the win regardless, in fact maybe more. This gives a wildcard factor to pretty much any election - you never know, the republican might suddenly commit a felony right before the election, show up and loving vote.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Other than the fact that it means they won't be concerned enough to back away from the healthcare bill. A Montana congressional seat means nothing. Keeping them from detonating the nation's healthcare system is a far more worthwhile goal unless you are going full accelerationist.

'this seat means nothing' is a take I have yet to hear about this

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Oh no! We've lost one of our 47 seat majority. How ever will we continue to completely fail to govern without it?

Losing the seat doesn't matter except to the narrative. If this was a senate seat, gently caress yeah, go to town, but this is a special election amidst a heavy republican majority in the house. The seat is going to be up again in 2018, which is the only point control of it will actually matter, and all the win now accomplishes is the benefit of incumbency which may or may not matter down the line.

I'm not expecting republicans to act selflessly by changing course on healthcare, The goal was to put the fear of loving god into them by having them lose a seat they shouldn't be losing. The fact that they can rationalize this loss as "That dumb gently caress" means it will weigh less heavily when it comes time to vote on reconciliation.

If you honestly don't believe that public opinion matters, then I assume you also feel the town hall barrage is pointless? Because public opinion and the risk to their seats was the only thing that kept these assholes from going to town on the ACA on day one.

Only the dumbest of idiots are going to look at this race, which was down to a razor thin margin BEFORE this incident, and think 'this was totally, 100% decided by him assaulting a reporter the day before." Quist was running on healthcare issues the whole time, and the assault was because he asked about the CBO score, for fucks sake

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"You can't vote for someone who's under investigation by the FBI. " - republicans last summer

"Who cares if he assaulted a reporter for asking a question and has already been charged for it and there are publicly available recordings of the incident and three Fox News reporters confirming what happened? Gotta vote for that republican!" - 48% or so of voters in Montana tomorrow

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is gonna be quite a news day, I think. Crossing my fingers that trump tweets about Montana.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It is remarkable how Trump seems to think everyone in the world has no memory.

I'm not convinced Trump has a strong concept of object permanence and by extension anything-permanence, including facts and history.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/garyhe/status/867710859224788993

Macron got him back by crushing the gently caress out of his tiny hand at the press event.

He looks like a little kid getting scolded.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man this thread is going to be bad tonight if the Dem losses even if it's by like 3 points in a +20 R district. And if he does win we'll hear some "oh but it was only because of the body slam so it doesn't really count. "

If Gianforte wins despite this then republicans may well take it as a sign that they can be twice as bold about healthcare. They're wrong about that, but they're dumb as dog poo poo so I can see them believing such a thing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
not the most trump related thing ever, but -

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/principal-fired-after-video-shows-him-wearing-rings-associated-with-white-supremacy-nazism/442958651

quote:

Dean, principal of Crescent Leadership Academy, confirmed to The New Orleans Advocate earlier this week that he was told not to report to work for the “next week or two” after the earlier photos of him appeared online.

He told the newspaper he was there for a few minutes as an observer and wanted to witness the statue come down. He said he left after he saw the equipment to do so was not in place.

“I went to see history in the making,” Dean told The Advocate. “And now I am history,” adding that the online post in which the photo was shared was “fake-news character assassination.”

In the video posted to YouTube, Dean, who identifies himself as Nick Andrews, is seen wearing two rings often associated with and the Nazi movement: a skull ring awarded to members of the SS and a German Iron Cross. He also held a shield and small American flag.

Dean also appeared on an episode of the “Guerrilla Radio” podcast on a few days earlier. The podcast, which calls itself “The official podcast of The Revolutionary Conservative” was recorded before the so-called “Battle of New Orleans” on May 7 at Lee Circle took place.

"What do you mean, nazi? I was just there to check out the scene for a few minutes. I dress like this all the time." - guy wearing an american flag and a helmet, carrying a shield, wearing rings with nazi symbols on them

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

what kind of mental gymnastics are required to wear both Nazi and American paraphernalia at the same time?

It's like being a marxist member of the illumanati or something.

America is for white people, Nazis were for white people, bing bong they're friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I need montana results! Are there exit polls?

• Locked thread