Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The game is good, buy it. Still under $20 on GMG.

Some minor corrections:

NVA faction gets Rifleman as their standard class, it has the AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 available alongside the SKS. The VC get Guerilla as their standard class, which offers the same AKM/Type 56/Type 56-1 and SKS as the Rifleman, however also offers the option of an unscoped Mosin Nagant 91/30.

The RPG class gets the SKS(?) or IZH-43 as a primary in addition to the RPG.

Sapper offers both the PPSH as well as the SKS.

Scout gives the Vietnamese and French MAT-49 variants as well as the IZH-43.

NVA Sniper can use the Mosin or SVD. VC can only use the Mosin.

Radio operators get the same loadouts as the default class, they simply offer the benefit of being a mobile radio for the TL.

US Marksman either has the option for M40 OR M21 or ONLY the M40. I'm not sure which loadout is which for Army or Marines.

It's also worth noting that some weapons have different ammunition options:

The US shotguns allow either 00 Buck or #4 Buck, with the exception of the Duckbill modified shotgun which only allows for #4.

The Vietnamese shotgun allows for 00 Buck, Slugs, or a 50/50 mix of the two.

The M79 allows for either HE or Buckshot rounds, or a 50/50 mix of the two.

The PPSH allows for 5 30-round stick magazines or 2 75-round drums.

The M60 allows for a single 200(?) round belt or two(?) 100(?) round belts.

The Mat-49 is weird because it's sort of the same way, but also not really... there are two variants, French and Vietnamese, the French fires 9mm which holds its damage better at range and does more damage, while the Vietnamese fires 7.62x25 which loses damage faster at range and does less damage but has more penetration. Also worth nothing the Vietnamese has a longer barrel and groups tighter when tap-firing and also has a significantly higher ROF.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I had credit on GMG so I got this.

I hope you bitch-niggaz are still playing it in 3 weeks.

Personally I can pick up RO2 or RS1, even Darkest Hour, and still enjoy them. I doubt the game will die out population-wise anytime in the near future.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Honestly the strongest use for transports that I saw was being dropped off at a middle/back point when the enemy had you almost all-capped in order to force them to fall back to the point or stop gaining points due to a broken link, as well as to combat/recapture against the same tactic.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Heads up to everyone who is interested in this game but doesn't know if they want to buy yet (or anyone with common sense, really): Rising Storm GOTY is free on Humble Bundle for the next 1 day 20 hours and 23 minutes.

The gameplay is similar and it's still quite active. You even get to enjoy the same stereotypical slurs from both sides of the fight!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

automaticswim posted:

The issues people have as attackers can mostly be mitigated with the use of smoke grenades, which a lot of people don't actually use unless you yell at them to.

Traps are so god drat fun, just find the busiest point and put the mines and punji traps everywhere. Sappers are the best for that, plop down 5 and go do other things until all 5 blow up, repeat. Having a good radioman stick with you as commander is also so drat cool :neckbeard:

This, any point that has many thin pathways in it, just set a tripwire, punji, or mine on.

Also, single fire your SMG's, seriously. Most people like the PPSh because it also works when you just spray the poo poo out of it, but then don't like the Grease Gun or Mat-49. Try single firing all of them, you'll be surprised at how good they are at ranges you aren't expecting them to be decent at.

Also this:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Please stop saying my favorite gun is bad :(

Don't ever hold the trigger down unless you're inside with the stock collapsed.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

Is there a point to using the folding stock AK? It seems to be the "push button to make inaccurate" gun.

It works a lot better on the SMG's and the Ithaca Stakeout, but it's okay-ish on the Type 56-1. If you're camping a building or moving into a building where ADSing is going to suck with a restrictive set of irons like the Type 56 has it's not a bad call. With the Grease Gun and Mat-49's I can get 30-35m kills pretty easily with a collapsed stock, and with the Stakeout 40-50m without much issue (the Stakeout gives me much longer OHK range than the Trench, I think something is hosed up there), but the Type 56-1 folded really isn't great outside of defending a doorway or tunnels.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Get in on the Grease Gun action, TBH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTY4xMMvys

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Well, I guess that takes care of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMP-jo6btjk

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

"Should I drop this napalm on our guys?"
"Yeah, do it!"
"Okay."

Edit: Oh yeah, Satan. I forgot you took my request to be landed on top of the radio tower seriously and then, for the most part, actually pulled it off. And then we successfully capped C!

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

Someone please do an analysis of the AKs recoil patterns when spamming semi vs full auto, tia. It seems like spamming semi is just a fraction slower to mag dump but with far less vertical recoil in my idiot opinion.

So, generally speaking, with the AK's I use the Type 56-1, because I use the SMG's a lot I got used to the ability to have the pseudo-ADS of the collapsed/folded stock and how useful it is when doing CQB run and gun poo poo. The only time I use full auto is when the stock is folded and I am doing the run and gunning, even if I know they'll be close and I'm ADS'd I will keep it on semi and just spamfire. The only exception to this is helicopters flying very close overhead, I'll use full auto with the normal ADS at the crew compartment. As far as I'm concerned, you're not wrong for doing this on ANY standard infantry rifle, whether it be one of the AK's or the M16.

Zig-Zag posted:

Holy crap I got a 70 meter heart shot and a 94 meter kill! This things a beast. I tried the American equivalent and the duck bill and neither felt like they had the range.

I use shotguns on both teams a lot (probably 80%+ of my kills are from Pointman and Scout), and the American shotguns don't have the same range, but for some weird reason I seem to get longer distance OHK's with the Stakeout than I do the Trench Gun. The way the Duckbill's spread is means I only take it when I know I'm going to be in a place like trying to cap A or B early on Hue, or in the trenches of C/D/E on Hill 937. But for some reason, whether I'm using 00 or #4 I find myself getting longer range OHK's with the Stakeout than the Trench Gun when using the same ammo types. I can easily get a 40m OHK with 00 on the Stakeout, while with the Trench Gun I'm excited to get a 35m OHK with 00. The only real benefit I see to the Trench Gun now is the bayonet, personally. Just learn where to aim when using the Stakeout's ADS style (this will also help you get used to the collapsed/folded ADS style of the SMG's) and you'll find yourself doing a lot better with Pointman, whether you're using the shotgun or SMG.

Edit: Also loving HOW?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEGyR7zY2tc

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Is it worthwhile to use small arms against helicopters?

The attack helicopters are pretty debatable, but you should have your RPG guys and HMG emplacements focusing on them whenever possible anyway. As for the littlebirds and transports, always shoot at them. They're like kill pinatas, basically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL81lICOkyc

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

Is there any reason to take #4? I assume it's more pellets for less damage each, and it feels like I have way more success with 00. It could just also be because I'm an awful shot :v:

I'm also wondering if C4 has any special role besides just as an explosive you can plant somewhere and trigger later.

I take #4 when I know it's going to be close range, but further range than I would want to shoot the duckbill at (or enemies behind cover/in windows and I want a standard shotgun spread to hit heads) and that's about it.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

I swear the people in this and the BF1 thread are the biggest babbies about some people occasionally having fun by being a mong in the chat.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Mongoloid is an offensive term, it's even listed under that on dictionary.com

Yeah, and I meant it offensively. Not as in you're an Asian, oh no, don't misinterpret me there. But rather, you're a mongoloid idiot.

Also, even though it was completely unintended, using the literal genealogical definition makes complete sense in that context.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Just bought this. Do we have a designated goon group/discord or should I dive into pubby hell?

Generally this gets answered fast but babby arguments in the thread probably clogged it up a bit. If you join the CTS Mumble we have a channel that's usually active at later times in the day for NA and also some eurogoons that play on NA servers anyway during the day (ping hasn't had a huge affect on my gameplay in any of the RO/RS games) as long as it's a US East server. There is a Discord for the game but I've not used it, so I can't really speak on whether or not it's frequently active.

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

I have this game, played about a half hour of it and I just can't seem to get into it. Idk, it doesn't give me the same feeling BF: vietnam or BFBC2: vietnam did

The gameplay is vastly different, it takes almost all the gameplay and mechanics from RO2/RS1 for the most part, just with a Vietnam theme. The only other thing I'd argue is comparable is maybe the Vietnam maps from Project Reality.

Hamlet442 posted:

custom maps

Has anyone seen/played a custom map yet? I'm pretty sure the servers that say they have custom maps just allow a weird 64 man clusterfuck version of the 16 man Skirmish maps included with the base game.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Finally got the White feather achievement (Over 250 metres kill with the xm21 sniper) on An Lao. I had to stand down beyond E, and I took out some guy standing in the bunker at the top of C. Thats the only place in the game I figure you have any need for plus 300 on your scope.

On the police station of Cu Chi you can get 250-300m kills at the NVA spawn for B & C (burnt forest between seems just ahead of D & E.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Scout. Also, the Sniper gets a single tripwire mine (Scout gets two).

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Xm177e2 please

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pnutz posted:

The silenced m21 makes me think it'll have battlefield ballistics with the subsonic ammo though. like trying to snipe someone with the 1911 or the grease gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTY4xMMvys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lrIpALqzto

What's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

pnutz posted:

I tried doing that with the revolver like what you did with the 1911. I hit my target, but I stood around waiting for the shot to arrive and got killed :doh:

Late response but lol, I make those shots pretty frequently now. There's always someone in that pillbox and I know how high up to aim, just wait for the muzzle flash aim up and shoot. Plus I always have the 1911 at that point because I'll use the Trench Gun on that map every time, at least for the first set of points and the second point.

As for the new gun, as someone who has used the Grease Gun a shitload (pretty sure it's still my second most kill weapon, highest still being Trench Gun), the XM177E1 is actually kind of iffy at close range and long range. It's not very stable on full auto, nothing like the M16, and it feels a little off when plinking at longer range. I honestly still prefer the Grease Gun at close-med range. The extra 10 rounds in the magazine and ability to collapse the stock also helps it a lot in my experience.

I also have no clue what the idea behind collapsing the XM177 stock is, you still use the irons and standard ADS and it's just way more unstable. I think they should've just made it use the Grease Gun/Mat49/SawedOff/Stakeout style aiming once you collapse it. Maybe you can get closer to a wall without aiming the weapon down or something? Either way you can get 50m kills with the collapsed stock on the Grease Gun and Mat-49 pretty easily if you know where to put the enemy on your screen to hit, I guess the most useful thing about the XM177 collapsed stock is if you're in close range the jumpy recoil while it's collapsed might help you get a spraying hit on target but I mean the fact you're still just using the irons/standard ADS kind of negates any benefit.

Edit: Also I think I like the F1 better than the Owen, feels way more controllable on full auto even though it shoots way slower, and I get way more 50m+ kills with bursting it or single tapping than I do with the Owen even though it's select fire. The sights just look weird as hell on the F1, lol.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 3, 2017

• Locked thread