Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Banano posted:

not much more than usual actually, it was just a very frustrating time when shots either missed for no good reason (crosshairs dead on a stationary target, shooting from prone) or registered but appeared to do nothing (e.g. 2 shots from an M14 to the chest with hit sound, 2 helmet hit sounds on a guy and no kill).

I've seen the same sort of wtf moments on videos of streamers who are way better players than me so it certainly seems to be a thing.

Yeah there's some hit detection wonk happening. I think that part of the problem is that bullets originate from the barrel of the gun and while ADS it's pretty hard to tell where exactly that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basticle posted:

The game desperately needs a push map where the americans defend (hell just flip hill937)

I think that a game mode where the Americans need to defend a helicopter landing zone while they are evacuated would be really cool. Score it based on how many players can hitch a ride out of the map before tickets and time runs out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh the game needs like, double its current maps.

They've released a map editor so hopefully some user made maps are in the pipe somewhere.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stairmaster posted:

e: any tips on using the flamethrower?

It's really strong for clearing out campers because it's fire and forget, which also makes it excellent for prefiring. You do not have to ADS, just get close enough to land a hit, so it's also really good for running and gunning. When I'm using a flamethrower I try to get behind the enemy in close quarters and keep moving for as long as possible so that people have a harder time figuring out what's going on.

Don't bother using it on the parts of maps where you can't get the drop on people and where there's a good chance that anyone will be 20 feet away.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

automaticswim posted:

really tired of pubbies trying to votekick me because i'm doing good

I'm tired of pubbies voting to keep players with 0 kills and 0 points who are running around TKing people.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boner confessor posted:

ugh, i'm super spoiled on overwatch allowing you to selectively mute idiots. wasn't there something similar to that in rising storm or am i foggy on that point

is there xp collecting and unlocks of weapon addons like the shotgun bayonet? is there a goon discord or just the mumble

You unlock cosmetics with XP, but only two or three of them can give you any kind of advantage.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basticle posted:

The stupid racist poo poo in voice chat I kind of just automatically filter out, what really grinds my gears is the douchebags that are super mad our team is losing and instead of being helpful they just scream about how we're dumb and you need to MOVE INTO THAT POINT RIGHT NOW WE"RE LOSING YOU GUYS

I had a pretty cool round with a commander who wasn't calling squads by either their name or numbers who was nevertheless getting progressively more and more frustrated and angry that everyone was ignoring him.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yardbomb posted:

I hear people make fun of the "ENEMY IS ALMOST OUT OF TAM" and "WE AH TAKING FOKSTRO" lines pretty often but not all that much actual "Ching chong nip nong" racism, it sounds like some of you guys are getting really unlucky.

I'm more of a YAAA guy myself.

Kenzie posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. At least when playing regular RO2, it always seemed like the guys who were the most aggressive were the ones who were the most effective. Like watching other people play it, on youtube or in spectator mode or whatever, I would see guys just sprinting around everywhere massacring the other team because they were quick on the draw and memorized the maps. The players who tried to move slowly and creep around and snipe people were usually not very effective, and would just get overrun or flanked and shot by one of those hyper-aggressive players.

I got RS2 a while ago and mostly suck at it, but I got a lot better after a few hours. I had a couple of really good rounds earlier, and the game is a lot of fun. I like it more than RO2 so far.

It really depends on the circumstances as to whether playing aggressively works in this game or not, but from my experience it's usually better to be more conservative unless you manage to get behind or inside of a group of enemies, at which point go nuts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hamlet442 posted:

Don't you have to pay for mumble?

It uses servers so if those are being hosted somewhere the channel's owner has to pay for it, but the program itself is free.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boner confessor posted:

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

So uh turn off voice chat? I have it enabled in order to troll people and 95% of the time it's completely useless, and the other 5% of the time is getting a two second head start before your commander artilleries you.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boner confessor posted:

obviously, but this is a poor solution for a team based game. it's either dont coordinate and just stumble around deaf or work with your good teammates while the bad teammates participate in the white power amateur comedy hour. im not blaming the devs or the game for this problem, i'm just griping about how terrible gamers are

Lol if you think that people are actually coordinating in voice chat

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kenzie posted:

What annoys me are the people who get really angry when their team is losing and then take their frustration out on everyone else, calling them idiots or never shutting up with barking orders at the team. I saw one guy do this and he wouldn't shut up until he got votekicked.

I had a good round where our commander was trying to micromanage all of our squads but was using weird milsim terms and names so even if we had wanted to follow his instructions we wouldn't have known what he was talking about. He slowly melted down over the course of the round and it was great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mega Comrade posted:

As long as its not a huge reduction I think its a good change. Its frustrating to give people warning then get stuck with a 1.30+ min spawn delay because of over aggressive players who get themselves killed and blame you that they don't have voice chat enabled.

I mean there's already a pretty big delay between the artillery being called in and when the barrage actually begins, so reducing the TK penalty is a nice addition as people are usually team killed by artillery because one or both parties involved are idiots. If the commander is the one loving up he's probably still going to get a long respawn timer from killing so many friendlies, but if it's people not paying attention to the artillery marker and running into it the commander will be punished less.

I think that the TK forgive option should pop up like a votekick or map change, though. I usually don't realize that I've been team killed or don't remember that it's an option.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm on a server right now where literally every single person who has used voice chat has said racist poo poo lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Now there's a dude with a southern accent yelling about how America won the Vietnam war.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Glenn Quebec posted:

Does this include you

I don't even know what the voice chat key is.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nebiros posted:

It's not, it's Goons wildly over exaggerating how common it is. The worst we run into normally are people making fun of the over the top accent the Vietnamese side gets. Which is the same poo poo that used to fly around in RS1 with the overly religious Marine with an exaggerated southern accent. I've run into 3 actual racists in game in 95 hours and actively loving with them enhanced the game, not ruined it.

It could be goons wildly over exaggerating, or maybe it's that other people could have different experiences than you. I'm glad that you haven't run into many racists, but almost every time I play this game I run into people dropping any and all racial slurs and doing the classic ching chong bit.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You're now actively ruining this thread.

:thunk:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There are already a few custom maps that people have put up on servers for testing, a couple of which are incredibly high quality so far. It should also be entirely possible to cannibalize the supremecy maps for territories, or flip the spawns of the territories maps for some more variety.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Speaking of new maps, it looks like all of the old Red Orchestra/Rising Storm maps are fully compatible with the RS2 SDK. I've been able to load a few RO2 maps and run around as a PLN soldier with an AK. The problem I'm running into, though, is that I don't know how to get the textures and lighting working properly. I'm not familiar with the Unreal editor or the RO2 version, so I'm just kind of guessing as to how things work at the moment.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

automaticswim posted:

there are some good tutorials that can give you a decent start, but i wouldn't recommend trying to import/modify RO2 maps for this. it'd be easier in the long run to remake it on your own, so you don't get glitchy textures and lighting and can ensure all objectives and markers are properly placed, whereas importing you can miss small things and then poo poo gets weird.

like having command autism and predicting the other commanders moves. always a good feeling.

I was actually able to get some RS maps to load with almost every single asset properly textured, sky box working, etc. While I'm not sure how you would be able to get that stuff loading in the client, I was thinking more along the lines of custom map creators having a leg up in recreating their old content.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The worst custom map that I've played so far was some kind of non eucladian city that appeared to be made out of foam Legos and cheese. It was surreal wandering around the maze like buildings just trying to figure out what's going on.

Don't make your map out of LOD assets, folks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You get footage or a name?

It's VNTE-DaKrong_v1. For whatever reason RO stores downloaded maps in format that I can't load through the console, and I can't find it on google.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There is a dedicated, 60 tick server running only this map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The problem with helicopters that I've been noticing is that they're usually either a massive pain in the rear end or totally worthless. Since the Dshks are in fixed locations you wind up with pilots and gunners who will shoot them through the trees from across the map, and if the helicopters stay low enough the only way for the VN to reliably kill them is to wait for them to land. Because of this you get people camping the landing spots, which fucks over bad pilots even more.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hamlet442 posted:

Maybe it's the servers I always play on but when I'm playing on the Vietnamese side, the choppers destroy us because nobody ever shoots at them. The team relies solely on the RPG guys and don't fire until the GIs unload from the aircraft. It's like they have no idea small arms can hurt them.

People probably are shooting at them, but unless you manage to kill the pilot you probably aren't going to do anything to a helicopter other than make it go land for repairs, which is why people camp the landing zones. Coordinating well enough to actually shoot down helicopters with small arms is just not something that a server full of random people is ever going to do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

I tested operation irving, turns out it has about a 90% crash rate for people, full server dropped down to about 5 people.

also there's a map called nui ba den that's on top of a rocky outcrop, and it seems to be quite popular for people that aren't mgs once they get past all the level geometry.
The bunkers on the map also had some recorded radio comms and hanoi hannah playing, which feels less obnoxious somehow than the propaganda broadcasts of ro2, possibly because it was in one room and not over the entire goddamn map

Are you sure it's crashing or just lovely downloads? I've joined custom servers with like 5kbps download speeds.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

the server has a redirect set up, I've been playing maps on it for a while.

Also the cambodian incursion map has way too much z-axis nonsense going over hills between points, though it may not be intentional and the mappers might be intending to put blocking volumes up over some of the hills and narrow the random roaming a bit

Yeah, what I mean is that when you join a server and start downloading the map you can end up with insanely slow download speeds. I was playing with a guy who has 100mb down and couldn't even finish downloading a map before the round ended. I'm assuming that that's why server populations will implode when a match ends and transitions to a custom map.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

that's what I meant too.

some servers have a setup where it redirects download requests to another server, otherwise as you said it downloads at like 64kbps and gives everyone actually on the server awful lag while the downloads are going on.

This server had a redirect set up, though. While he was getting 5kbps I downloaded the map almost instantly. I think that it's a bug in the client.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drunkill posted:

Some servers have it set to the custom map downloads via the steam workshop, which is a great idea considering the maps are already there and when there is an updated version of the map you'll download it when steam starts anyway. I think the devs might be pushing that as the default option in a patch. Frees up all the server bandwidth on mapchange.

I've alt-tabbed while joining a custom map and saw steam grabbing it, seemed a lot quicker than joining a custom map server last week. The problem is a lot of maps are huge in size, I think CuChi is nearly 1gb in map files, so custom maps are between 250-700 depending how big and detailed they are, so the workshop download is required really.

From what I can tell after loving around with the SDK, the reason the vanilla maps are so large is because they store a lot of the art assets in the map folders. Unless custom ones introduce new assets they should only be a couple of hundred MB, although from what I've read maps with correctly done lighting can be much larger.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I thought I'd have a look at the commander role to see what's up. Here's my screen. You can see that the right side is cut off for some reason. Any idea what's going on here? I run the game in fullscreen mode at my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) it's like the game thinks my monitor is 1380x1024 or something.

The UI doesn't support 4:3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ah, well there you go.

Thank you for the answer.

EDIT: yep, that was the problem. Even though the video menu offers all sorts of ratios and resolutions (including 4:3 and 5:4), the game doesn't support them!

It's really weird, I can't imagine that it would be too much work to make the UI scale to 4:3 properly but :effort: I guess.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've tried it a bunch of times with an sks and I can only score a hit once every twenty shots or so with those iron sights. It's a friggin tough shot that far out without a scope.

Whenever I've been shooting through there I just get as close as I can. It's really difficult for the Americans to return fire down any of those roads so you don't need to be that far back.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drunkill posted:

Should be some fun custom maps in 2-3 months. Both of those could fulfill the role of Hueys for ground and river maps.

There are already some pretty decent custom maps up on certain servers. I played a few rounds each on three maps the other day that were all enjoyable enough, even if the maps still seem unfinished. There probably would already be some polished maps, but for some reason the concept of blocking out levels hasn't quite caught on in the RO/RS community.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's astounding the amount of places you can cap a point while still being in cover that are just inside the cap zone. Even more astounding are the amount of people who don't realize this and will charge well past where they need to and get in a dangerous spot and die instead of advancing the cap.

Been this way since the first Red Orchestra....

You can only cap a point if you have superior numbers than the opposing team, so just going up to the edge of the zone won't make a difference unless you kill the people inside.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ded posted:

They need to lower the accuracy on support strikes. Most of the time you can be about 50-55m away and be fine. It should be much further.

Their range is about 75 meters, and generally you want to drop them about twice that far away from friendly players because there's always people dumb enough to run directly into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The proper use of a flamethrower is to provide covering fire onto your squad as they attempt to advance through your commander's artillery.

• Locked thread