Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

that's what I meant too.

some servers have a setup where it redirects download requests to another server, otherwise as you said it downloads at like 64kbps and gives everyone actually on the server awful lag while the downloads are going on.

This server had a redirect set up, though. While he was getting 5kbps I downloaded the map almost instantly. I think that it's a bug in the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some servers have it set to the custom map downloads via the steam workshop, which is a great idea considering the maps are already there and when there is an updated version of the map you'll download it when steam starts anyway. I think the devs might be pushing that as the default option in a patch. Frees up all the server bandwidth on mapchange.

I've alt-tabbed while joining a custom map and saw steam grabbing it, seemed a lot quicker than joining a custom map server last week. The problem is a lot of maps are huge in size, I think CuChi is nearly 1gb in map files, so custom maps are between 250-700 depending how big and detailed they are, so the workshop download is required really.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

pnutz posted:

I tested operation irving, turns out it has about a 90% crash rate for people, full server dropped down to about 5 people.

also there's a map called nui ba den that's on top of a rocky outcrop, and it seems to be quite popular for people that aren't mgs once they get past all the level geometry.
The bunkers on the map also had some recorded radio comms and hanoi hannah playing, which feels less obnoxious somehow than the propaganda broadcasts of ro2, possibly because it was in one room and not over the entire goddamn map

Played Nui Ba Den last night. It could be a good map if they had better collision detection on all the rocks and maybe added some cover to B so it wasn't just GIs machinegunning an open platform as Charlie tries to dive for cover behind the single destroyed helicopter.

I will say I quite liked the nighttime aspect of it. It was neat camping out on a hill with a Mosin, picking off any GI silhouette that was dumb enough to pop their heads up over the ridge.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

drunkill posted:

Some servers have it set to the custom map downloads via the steam workshop, which is a great idea considering the maps are already there and when there is an updated version of the map you'll download it when steam starts anyway. I think the devs might be pushing that as the default option in a patch. Frees up all the server bandwidth on mapchange.

I've alt-tabbed while joining a custom map and saw steam grabbing it, seemed a lot quicker than joining a custom map server last week. The problem is a lot of maps are huge in size, I think CuChi is nearly 1gb in map files, so custom maps are between 250-700 depending how big and detailed they are, so the workshop download is required really.

From what I can tell after loving around with the SDK, the reason the vanilla maps are so large is because they store a lot of the art assets in the map folders. Unless custom ones introduce new assets they should only be a couple of hundred MB, although from what I've read maps with correctly done lighting can be much larger.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Holy poo poo the way they filter light and silhouette objects when there is a smoke grenade with a light source behind it is amazing

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

pnutz posted:

it's a holdover from ro2, most of those are impractical but they would be facing howls of outrage from the rivet counters if they only half-implemented it otherwise

I've played RO2, you would be very hard pressed to fire more than 300 meters or so on any of the (early) maps.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Played Nui Ba Den last night. It could be a good map if they had better collision detection on all the rocks and maybe added some cover to B so it wasn't just GIs machinegunning an open platform as Charlie tries to dive for cover behind the single destroyed helicopter.

as much as I hate the game being balance around this mechanic, smoke it. convince the americans to smoke it too, this abruptly stops everything except nadespam, which you can fight back with your own, and mg spam, which you can fix by going prone.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I've played RO2, you would be very hard pressed to fire more than 300 meters or so on any of the (early) maps.

and they let you scroll out to 2km on most of the guns too. it felt like a little bit of an over-implementation, like the tank modelling causing them to paint themselves into a development corner where it cost squillions to make one vehicle, leaving us with 4 tanks + transports instead of the 15-20 from ro1.

still, there's those open-steppe custom maps where the long range settings on eg the mgs were useful at least

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Is there any incentive to use the WP grenade over other grenades? It seems to have the same effective damage radius as regular grenades. And theres no lingering burning effect, so you cant use as an area denial weapon either. I guess the only incentive is that it explodes on impact, and gives charlie no time to didi out.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Is there any incentive to use the WP grenade over other grenades? It seems to have the same effective damage radius as regular grenades. And theres no lingering burning effect, so you cant use as an area denial weapon either. I guess the only incentive is that it explodes on impact, and gives charlie no time to didi out.

there is a lingering burn effect. that smoke kills people.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah white phosphorous nades are great in trenches and doorways, people try to run and they just catch on fire while you shotgun the survivors.

Edit: A hotfix just came out

quote:

We are expecting to push a required update for clients and servers tomorrow. It will contain the following:

Major Update (Widespread Crash)
We’ve addressed a crash that occurred anytime a player selected the machine gunner class. Whether a player selected the machine gunner class at the beginning of a match, partway through a match or near the very end of a match, players could crash upon server travel (map conclusion)

SDK
The SDK will no longer crash when using the Lightmass (Swarm) option

Next patch will have more QoL improvements and apparently they'll beta the other gamemode versions of some of the maps soon via the workshop while they're being worked on before release in the next proper patch.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 6, 2017

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Roobanguy posted:

there is a lingering burn effect. that smoke kills people.

people don't realise this and they hang around waiting to burn to death inside it and give people teamkills :(

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GyverMac posted:

WP grenade is the best grenade in the game. Why??

THE SCREAMS

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I thought I'd have a look at the commander role to see what's up. Here's my screen. You can see that the right side is cut off for some reason. Any idea what's going on here? I run the game in fullscreen mode at my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) it's like the game thinks my monitor is 1380x1024 or something.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 7, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I run the game in fullscreen mode at my monitor's native resolution (1280x1020).

The gently caress is this resolution?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've found I really love playing the Vietnamese sappers and ... whatever the other class is called with the tripwire mines. It's so satisfying to booby trap an area, run off and do something else, and then see the pop-pop-pop kill count on the upper right.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Scout. Also, the Sniper gets a single tripwire mine (Scout gets two).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

The gently caress is this resolution?

lol...sorry 1280x1024. I edited my post

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I thought I'd have a look at the commander role to see what's up. Here's my screen. You can see that the right side is cut off for some reason. Any idea what's going on here? I run the game in fullscreen mode at my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) it's like the game thinks my monitor is 1380x1024 or something.

The UI doesn't support 4:3.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

The UI doesn't support 4:3.

ah, well there you go.

Thank you for the answer.

EDIT: yep, that was the problem. Even though the video menu offers all sorts of ratios and resolutions (including 4:3 and 5:4), the game doesn't support them!

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 7, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ah, well there you go.

Thank you for the answer.

EDIT: yep, that was the problem. Even though the video menu offers all sorts of ratios and resolutions (including 4:3 and 5:4), the game doesn't support them!

It's really weird, I can't imagine that it would be too much work to make the UI scale to 4:3 properly but :effort: I guess.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is what I'm talking about :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSQ-3vVtKA

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

the multiple people not even stopping to look for traps once their guy calls out that there are traps nearby :negative:

still good to see someone having fun with the claymores at least

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Congratulations on running a CRT in 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm running this game 746 × 480 and I'm missing a lot of screen real estate what the heck

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A shame you didn't get any shots of people being turned into a red mist with RPGs.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Hue + Flamethrower is a fun combo. Apart from when you need to cross the river.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

A shame you didn't get any shots of people being turned into a red mist with RPGs.
Oh not my video. But yeah. The best way to die, in my opinion, is to take an RPG in the face from a distance, as you can see the rocket launch before it kills you.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tekopo posted:

Hue + Flamethrower is a fun combo. Apart from when you need to cross the river.

Wading through the waters with that thing is suicide. Go underground instead! Look for the sewer entrance behind B, its by the ammo box. Then use the tunnels. Be sure to squirt some flames every now and then in front of you to destroy any toe poppers there. HTH!

Also, god drat the LMGS are in a really weird place right now. Setting up and trying to suppress only gets you killed near instantly. If by some weird chance you manage to set up and not instantly die, the barrel heats up and the gun is useless for what feels like several minutes because of the heat warping effect. So you just have to drag that thing around and use it as an assault rifle. That works fine with the degtarev and might work for the RPD, but M60? Not so much.

I think the reason you die so quickly when setting up LMGs is that it is really easy to see where shots are coming from now. The weapons produce a lot of smoke for each shot. It is fine for the assault rifles and smg's but they should tone down the smoke from the LMGS. It looks like a bushfire whenever you start firing those things and everybody can see you from a mile away.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 7, 2017

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I've been playing nothing but the custom maps servers and there is some great poo poo out there already.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

GyverMac posted:

Also, god drat the LMGS are in a really weird place right now. Setting up and trying to suppress only gets you killed near instantly. If by some weird chance you manage to set up and not instantly die, the barrel heats up and the gun is useless for what feels like several minutes because of the heat warping effect.

it does take minutes to cool down if you heat it up most of the way, a couple times I've deliberately gotten myself killed for a new cool barrel. Also apparently a couple of the maps have really, really high ambient temperature so it takes even less to heat the guns up than normal.

on that note however, I warped the barrel once on the m60 so it had :downsgun: accuracy and I still managed to kill someone through a wall with it at over 100m :vince:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah I think one or two maps hosed things up and set temp to 60c instead of 20-30c.

Saw it mentioned somewhere and they will fix it soon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Yeah I think one or two maps hosed things up and set temp to 60c instead of 20-30c.

Saw it mentioned somewhere and they will fix it soon.

Realistically you should not be able to overheat barrels unless you fire through two entire mags/belts, plus you should have quick change barrels for both the 60 and the RPD (similarly the MG-34/42 had them in Red Orchestra.)

Being able to warp your barrel in 12 seconds is dumb and awful but that's Tripwire forever I guess.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Its more that how the game works cooldown is half a degree (celcius) every second, but because on one or two maps the temprature is set at ~60c the gun never returns fully to its cold state or if it does it takes even longer to cool below the map temperature.

But yeah, overheating is a bit silly sure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The only problem I have with the heat mechanic is the fact that they didn't include barrel changes. They could even make a class for assistant gunners that carry a spare barrel and smoke grenades or something.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I'd be amazed if any US MG'ers ever carried their own spare barrel, those things came with the gas system, front sight and bipod attached, and the gun itself already weighs a ton.

EDIT: Just looked it up, the Assistant Gunner carried one spare barrel and also, as there's no good place to grab it, the asbestos glove required to swap out a hot barrel. How did the US gently caress up the barrel on the MG34/42 so badly?

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 8, 2017

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Now that there are some more custom maps I'll be checking this out again. If you want to play with goons join us on the mumble. You don't have to be a great player, just as long as you aren't annoying and a complete loving moron. In fact, you can be as dumb as a rock as long as you're silent and not annoying about it.

goon mumble

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Realistically you should not be able to overheat barrels unless you fire through two entire mags/belts, plus you should have quick change barrels for both the 60 and the RPD (similarly the MG-34/42 had them in Red Orchestra.)

Being able to warp your barrel in 12 seconds is dumb and awful but that's Tripwire forever I guess.

it's about 30 for the DP/rpd to permawarp and 40 for the m60, including the reloads and hard mag dumps. there's obviously several states of smoking barrels in the middle there, but they don't affect accuracy too much outside of obscuring your vision.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I got personal best of 53 kills as sniper on a Cu Chi round today. Not super amazing or anything, but it's kinda fun finding secret spots to shoot from.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

JFC posted:

Now that there are some more custom maps I'll be checking this out again. If you want to play with goons join us on the mumble. You don't have to be a great player, just as long as you aren't annoying and a complete loving moron. In fact, you can be as dumb as a rock as long as you're silent and not annoying about it.

goon mumble

Can't understand why you don't just move to discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I got personal best of 53 kills as sniper on a Cu Chi round today. Not super amazing or anything, but it's kinda fun finding secret spots to shoot from.

Yeah? Well share your secret spot then!

• Locked thread