Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Could someone tell me more about Godless?

The summary in the OP is pretty comprehensive- the book isn't actually super long and the setting description seems intentionally vague so you can customize things as you see fit. More of a toolkit to very easily create a new setting than a wholly detailed alt-setting- which IMO makes it a very good value since you're getting a lot of mechanics and just enough fluff to make it interesting/see how it fits together. It does update/gives guidance on updating the things that would need to be updated so they fit in a post-apocalyptic setting (if you include Elves in your game they're going to be humans mutated by magic/radition/etc. and not vulnerable to iron, the created clockwork gear people can be functionally replaced by robots containing the minds of wealthy pre-apocalypse people who decided digital immortality was the way to go, currency is largely replaced with an easy-to-use barter system, etc.), and provides new rules for things that would not have been present in a fantasy setting (modern firearms with automatic fire, modern ballistic armor, cars and car chases, magic to support these things, etc.). All of these look they would run very seamlessly due to the manner in which the base game is set up- an OG SotDL Warrior's basic path bonuses are just as relevant when firing an M60 from the back of a Hilux as they are when clubbing giant rats (which is good, since both are plausible activities in Godless).

In all honesty it's a very good toolkit/base, and the transparent way SotDL is set up makes it easy to adjust to taste- i.e. if you or your group is slightly gunsperg it's possible the way firearms categories are defined and described by default will bother them (it's very heavily in the "stylish mainstream 80's action movie" corner), but it's also extremely obvious how to properly tweak the numbers to differentiate a FAL from an Uzi.

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

I know it's $2 each but presumably those aren't really worth grabbing for the buffs to existing paths, since (as posted above) Rob seems to plan to merge them into the base PDF.

I just picked up Path of Battle for $1.19 and I'd say it's definitely worth it at the moment if you're planning to play/run a game where people would be interested in any of the included classes. Fighter in particular went from a super-dull "eh, I guess, if there's really nothing better" choice to an exciting and actively good choice.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

The fact that they get 1 extra Fighter Talent alone is huge and makes the Path way better than it was before.

Well yeah, I think the fact that you didn't previously was something that struck most people as odd about the path immediately. Though it also helps that the weaker Talents got buffed, the boring ones got removed, and everybody effectively gets 3 Talents now since you get a better version of the old "Fight With Anything," Fighter Talent. It's kind of nuts how much better a level 3 Warrior/Fighter seems- even the most basic rear end sword and board build gets a lot better because you can, say, choose Fight With Two Weapons in conjunction with Fight With Anything and have a build with the option to lower it's defense for a serious offensive boost. You likely won't even miss the option to take the boring defensive stat increase, because you can now wear better armor wayyyy sooner (or ever for some races).

It also enables a lot more viable builds- i.e. a goblin with a staff is a potential wrecking machine, knife fighting no longer feels like a bad mechanical decision, you can dual wield whips effectively, etc.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, my initial brush with it was kind of similar, especially because a lot of the art makes it look like gross kind of edgy. That actually seems to not be the case after spending a little more time with it.

It definitely incorporates some body horror stuff, and there are a few elements that can sound bad taken out of context, but describing the game in those terms is extremely misleading. If you just heard that one of the spells gives you explosive diarrhea and that another is named 'Hole of Glory' you'd be tempted to think the game was competing with FATAL, but that's not the case at all- the first is from the "ultra-evil witch" school of magic that appears designed around sorts of invisible curses that would terrify peasants the most if a witch actually had them (inflicting disease, permanent disfigurement/disability, possession/body stealing- in this context the spell described basically gives someone instant Cholera), and the second is a totally normal Teleportation utility spell whose name is part of an undercurrent of humor that runs throughout the books (see also: a low level Enchantment daze/stun effect being called Mind Bondage). But all of that is a very small part of the whole, and overemphasizing those features is really doing the game a disservice.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Wouldn't seem too hard to create, I think you could basically pattern the Jump ability off the Martial Artist's Flying Kick talent (from the companion) but make it polearm/staff specific and then just give it some more bonuses to jumping distance and using spears.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jimmeeee posted:

OK, rules question: if an ability requires an action (or a triggered Action) to use, is it only available during combat? If it's usable outside of combat, how often can it be used? I'm asking with an eye towards the Witch's "Guidance" ability, which seems overpowered if it's available out of combat.

Nope, they're available all the time and can be used at will (unless it's a per-rest ability or has some other limiting factor. I mean would you say a Rogue can't use Trickery outside of combat because the challenge roll they're making isn't part of a structured combat round? Nonsense.

A Witch's Guidance is a pretty strong and flexible ability, but that's a big part of the reason you'd take the class to begin with, right? It's also probably less crazy strong than you're thinking, since the first boon you get on a roll is a lot more important than subsequent boons and a level 2 Priest can already do that for everyone with Prayer.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Antilles posted:

Question from the session that I was uncertain of the answer: Can clockworks not die? Normally PCs become Disabled and have to make Fate rolls and risk death, but clockworks just wind down and become objects until someone winds them up again?

SotDL page 15 posted:

Although you are an object while you are incapacitated, you are still subject to the rules for incapacitated creatures

Robert Schwalb posted:

Busy as hell, so I haven't read everything as closely as I should, but I wanted to vomit out the intent. Clockworks become objects (and thus are subject to anything that would affect an object--certain spells for example). However, they make Fate Rolls at the end of each round. Not only does this prevent clockworks from being unkillable, it also simulates the efforts of the bound souls struggle to get the hell out of the body to which it is bound. That's what I intended when designing the clockwork and what the line--you still make fate rolls--implies.

As I said elsewhere on another thread: I encourage you to do what makes the game fun for your group. If you want clockworks to become objects when incapacitated and ditch the fate roll thing, go for it. I would recommend that before Cletus the Clockwork comes back, you put a challenge roll by another character in front of that happy eventuality to repair it enough for the key to turn.

Hope this helped!

I do agree that it could probably have been clearer!

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 2, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pastry Mistakes posted:

But yeah there are some questions:
1. Is there a link that more eloquently explains magic? Because it's written like hot garbage in the book (specifically the level 1 rules in regards to traditions and spell choices).
As dwarf74 mentioned it's better explained in later material. Basically every time you level in a magic class you get a certain number of "choices" as indicated, which can be either discovering a tradition (and an associated zero level spell) or a single spell for a tradition you've already discovered. Level 1 is a bit confusing because you effectively get 3 "choices", but your first "choice" must be discovering a tradition (as otherwise you'd have no tradition to select spells from).

quote:

2. Every game we play that has orcs as a race automatically turn into warhammer orks. As I mentioned I'm playing an venerable ork warrior who is a trained lawyer and tailor (makes his own business suits). He fights for betterment treatment of his orky brethren, while also spouting off Charlie Day lawyer-isms. We finally hit level 3 and I'm honestly not sure where to take him. In wfrp2e I'd give him a class focusing in fellowship, but there not really anything like that in this game which leads me to just doubling down on his orky strength and leaving all social poo poo to RPing. Eventually I want his master path to be Executioner, but I'm not sure what his expert path should be. Maybe ravager from the ork pages? I don't know, any help would be appreciated.
I mean if you're just going maximum warrior then I'd suggest the revised Fighter from Paths of Battle, because it's a really good class that is going to make your face-smashing substantially better (corebook fighter is ok but a little weak and boring). Otherwise maybe Spellblade with the Battle Tradition to give you a bit of WAAGHHH power and combat utility? Spellblade has a pretty solid set of offensively oriented combat bonuses for an Expert class, Battle Madness is likely more "warhammer orky" than dealing with the normal insanity table, and Battle Magic has a bunch of level 0-2 spells that should remain useful/scale well through the higher levels.

quote:

3. How often do you come across magic items? Not seeing much in the core book about it.
Totally up to your GM and the feel they're going after, they're genuinely not an expected part of progression at all (though your group probably wants someone with the alchemist/apothecary profession to brew up plenty of cheap healing potions for quick out of combat recovery- see page 25 in the companion). The published adventures I've read also tend to vary quite a bit in terms of loot you could theoretically obtain.

quote:

4. Incantations don't use up a spell slot correct?
Correct, it doesn't use up any of your spell castings. How else could you possible cast an incantation of a higher power level if that was the case? So if you're a rich Wizard you can absolutely use all your loot to prep an emergency lightning bolt caddy.

It's important to note that Shadow of the Demon Lord doesn't have spell "slots" like D&D though, every spell you know has a number of "castings" based on your Power stat that are completely independent of one another and consequently knowing more spells lets you potentially cast more spells in a day.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know if anyone will be able to get this reference, but is spellcasting similar to Heroes of Might and Magic 1 where having a Knowledge stat of 3 means you can cast every spell you know 3 times each?

EDIT:

If you have a Power of 2:
* You can cast every level 0 spell you know three times each
* You can cast every level 1 spell you know two times each
* You can cast every level 2 spell you know once each

Yeah that's exactly correct, though it doesn't continue to scale in the manner that would imply (there's a chart that's superficially similar to a D&D spells-by-level chart

So at Power 4:
* You can cast every level 0 spell you know five times each
* You can cast every level 1 spell you know two times each
* You can cast every level 2 spell you know two times each
* You can cast every level 3 spell you know once each
* You can cast every level 4 spell you know once each

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gort posted:

Played another game of this last night. My players are up to level 2 now, and it feels like they can actually convincingly win a fight now, after levels 0 and 1 being just "survive this godawful poo poo somehow". The warrior and rogue pretty much just roll attacks each round within that fight though - there are special moves you can do for melee and ranged, but none seem worth giving up your only boon for. I've suggested that they pick up some magic in their level 3 paths so they can get some limited-use abilities.

It kinda feels like the game mandates a magical healer, though. We have a three-person party - rogue, warrior and priest of the maiden of the moon. The priest path forfeits the "heal another character" power that's built into normal priests in favour of regaining some spells, but the priest doesn't have the life tradition. This means the party has only their "heal themselves for a quarter HP" powers, once per rest, to heal themselves, which in turn means that absent any time limitations they pretty much need to rest after two encounters. This isn't really ideal, I prefer to avoid such short adventuring days.

Maybe I'll do a house rule where you get to heal for your healing rate after each fight or something, just to give the game a bit more momentum. It feels wrong to be butting up against the "You can only rest once per 24 hour period" rule all the time - the party are pretty much at the point of replying "Well, we'll just rest for 48 hours straight then".

You may also want to look at the crafting rules in the Companion (page 25)- anyone with an appropriate profession (alchemist, apothecary, etc.) and an alchemist's kit can churn out healing potions for 5 copper pennies a go, which is not exactly cost-prohibitive for a group's out-of-combat healing even at the Novice group level.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FunkMonkey posted:

A weapon of course would solve the issue - it depends on whether he really wants to be a punchmaster right out of the gate. Rogue could be viable, if a little riskier - with some lucky rolls exploit opportunity could be a brutal skill combined with Mystic's chi skills.

Rogue (like Adept) also gives you the flexibility to pick your own magical paths, which opens up better combinations- in addition to Battle magic and Rune magic, Primal has some extremely good buffs for punchmastering (one of the level 0 spells is +1d6 unarmed damage and a speed buff, Beast Within Dire Beast will be effectively a +2d6 unarmed damage buff from level 3 on if you're a size 1 human [which is an amazing rate for a level 2 spell], etc.).

Also note that this means that some of the other priest traditions may be more viable for this than you think (Old Gods and such). And in addition to the Dark Gods, Old Man Winter and both of the Dwarven options (Dwarven Ancestors and Honored Dead) offer battle magic, though you'd probably need to be a weird character or a reflavored human/goblin ancestor cultist as being a dwarf is kind of a non-starter due to their agility situation.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 23, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The only really bad part about the Rogue build is that you only can get a maximum of 5 spells/choices, which limits the potential of Rogue/Mystic/Martial Artist somewhat- being able to fit in Arcana for Arcane Armor and Harness Magic would be really nice to enable capping/near-capping your defense value at 25 and getting more casts of your low level Primal buffs would be awesome (you can take Arcana but Harness Magic isn't worth it if you only have Primal Magic spells to use with the power points [Battle having many more spammable spells] and the rest of the tradition doesn't really have much synergy). You'd still be pretty strong the whole way, and if given a moment of time or an Exploit Opportunity to self-buff with Primal spells, you'd be able to sustainably nuke a big bad for like 10-12d6 damage per round by sticking your boot in their face while having fairly robust defenses and excellent mobility. Potentially ends up a little light on self-generated boons though, since neither Mystic or Martial Artist give you any.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 24, 2017

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

This has been making the forum rounds, but in case you missed it Abbadon (creator of Kill 6 Billion Demons) wrote a mecha game using SotDL as a mechanical inspiration.

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/912412449499889664

This is quite sweet, but definitely a draft.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's a draft, but a pretty serviceable one.

Also manages to be the second best mech RPG I've read, and the best Titanfall RPG I never expected. :v:

What's the first best mech RPG you've read? Because this one honestly looks like it might take the top spot for me, rough as it is.

At the moment it's entirely serviceable and better put together than some ostensibly finished RPGs I've read, I just meant it's at the "note the inconsistencies and ambiguities that need to get resolved" stage of feedback rather than the "fix mechanical imbalances" stage (because what those might be depends a lot on the ambiguities).

And yeah, it's Titanfall as hell! Though speaking of inspirational mech francishes, they absolutely need to add rules for putting wheels in your feet without becoming a tracked vehicle because it super seems like the GMS mechs should basically be VOTOMS/Heavy Gear style (not that it's not insanely easy to homebrew such a system).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

Battle Century G, which is basically the Super Robot Wars tabletop RPG (as in it supports having both the RX-78-2 and Gunbuster side by side and balanced with each other) with really robust mech creation and tactical combat rules.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

quote:

Gliding Wheels (GMS mod, 1IP): your mech has wheels built into its feet, and you can use them to "skate" along the ground at high speeds. When you Boost, you may move twice your Speed, but you make Dangerous Terrain tests with 1 Difficulty when you do so.

A little different than what I was imagining, but not bad.

Incidentally, for those interested, the next version of the public beta is up here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2mQ7IPn-PsqNE9uYkp4Yjh6VUE

Substantial revisions/proofreading (tables and text for mech systems now appear to match!), the EP/IP system has changed significantly (an extra point vs. the last version, and completing a level 3 cert gives you +1EP/+1IP so you're given incentive to finish stuff out and you've got more build flexibility), and the first stats for NPC infantry and mechs

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

Uncertain Faith has a bunch of alternate priests with some remixed abilities that go with the major religions in the base setting. I would look there if you want to customize the class more to your liking. I've just gone through the pantheon I worked up and given each one three traditions that seem to fall in with their theme, so that's the lazy option.

Yeah, Uncertain Faith definitely is the best supplement if you want examples for how you can customize the Priest to give it more specific flavor. Forbidden Rules also has a tiny bit of related material (Adept base class, and an option for more flexible priest casting [basically just let them take whatever at level 2]). I'll also say that I can't forsee any real issues in just assigning gods 3 spell traditions each (or more- some of the Uncertain Faith traditions have each priest select 3 from a longer list, reflecting their specific approach to a broader faith tradition), traditions are pretty self contained and there's really nothing that's absurd/non-functional with priest class mechanics.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Pixie. Wee. Your weapon attacks deal half damage.
What about +d6 modifiers from attacking well such as from warrior or rogue. Also halved?
Rogue health level up is 3. Halved, rounded down, is 1. If I level up twice did I get two hitpoints or three?

I rolled on my interesting items list and it's a box of 15 iron nails. Is this a sick fetish the dice have given me?

Does rogue's trickery work on literally any time I roll dice, even out of combat? DM thinks "once per round" implicitly requires combat. If I pick a fight before picking a lock with my pervert iron nails do I get a boon then?

I think (per page 39 of the core book) halving applies to the entire damage total (though it can only be halved once).

Trickery definitely applies any time you roll the dice- it’s what makes Rogues “skilled”, because they can get on-demand boons for anything they do. It’s their whole thing. Similarly, a level 2 Priest can always toss out a boon to an ally via Prayer.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So interesting and unexpected new supplement came out today- Bred for Battle

It's basically a collection of alternatives to the basic Warrior novice path and on first glance seems fairly well done. I'm of two minds about it- one of the things I really like about SotDL is how generalized/universal the novice paths are and how you get increasingly more specialized as you progress, and this supplement undermines that bit of design. On the other hand the basic Warrior is probably the novice path that has the least flexibility in role or ability to define/differentiate itself since it lacks access to the spell choices of Magicians and Priests or the Roguery Talents, and its expertise is quite focused on smashing dudes (vs. the flexibility of Trickery or Prayer). The new paths allow you to start with a more focused concept that may have additional synergy with some of the later build options, as well as providing earlier support for archetypes/builds that previous took a while to develop. The progression is still recognizably "Warrior," but a lot of the builds have different spins on when you get the attack boon, what you can do with Expertise/Mastery instead of/in addition to getting more damage dice, the recovery option, and the crit. Some also have restricted attribute bonuses at level 1 (which make sense and don't tend to be too restrictive, but it's a definite departure from the way most paths worked).

The new paths are:

Armiger- Basically a Knight in training (and has obvious synergy with the actual Knight path). Start with a horse, get a boon in social situations, make your mount fight better in addition to yourself, and help people remove fright on crit in addition to damage. This comes at a cost of slightly less health per level and only getting your combat boon if you use knightly weapons (oh no).

Barbarian- What it says on the tin, though interestingly it gets the boon only for basic weapons (though damage remains universal). More HP, no defense bonus at level 5, boon for using the recovery option (though only as an action), substantial DEF bonus for sticking to light/no armor, crits cause target to make a strength check or fall prone.

Enforcer- Thug who gives out afflictions (and in turn is highly dependent on them for damage). Can use an action to yell at someone and inflict fright, gets its boon based on targeted enemies having an affliction. Can forgo bonus damage at level 2 to inflict impaired or slowed for a round. Crits inflict frightened. No multi-attack option but potential extra damage later for targets who are impaired (and potentially less damage for those who have no afflictions).

Gallant- Fencing type who uses finesse weapons. Slightly less HP, only gets attack boon with finesse weapons (and first d6 damage at level 2). Gets Rogue recovery talent, and can use it twice as a triggered action at level 8. Crits allow you to use a triggered action to attack the same target again. Big defensive bonus at level 5 for sticking to light armor and forgoing a shield.

Hunter- Again, does what it says on the tin. Slightly less HP and def, slightly more perception and speed, and the initial boon tied to hunter weapons (which in addition to bows includes daggers, long knives (the d6 finesse Swift weapon), and spears). Same Rogue recovery talent setup as the Gallant. Crits inflict bleeding damage on living targets. No multi-attack, but attacks give free movement that doesn't trigger free attacks and an additional boon to targets you've already attacked during the same/previous round.

Monk- Also what you'd expect. Slightly less HP, more speed. Substantial defense bonus for not wearing armor or using a shield. Doesn't get a boon for attacks, but does reduce banes for using an attack option with an unarmed strike by 1. Unarmed strike damage die becomes d3 unless already higher (this starts at level 1 so you can do unarmed semi-viably without needing to find a race with natural weapons). Damage/multi-attack works like base warrior but unarmed only. Recovery option imposes banes (or gives a boon to resist) until next turn. Crit inflicts stun until end of next round (!).

Pit Fighter- Recovery grants extra damage until end of next round but is an action (and instead of getting multiple uses you get double healing later). No def bonus. Crits impair target for a round rather than doing extra damage. Minor extra damage against injured targets.

Soldier- Gets Priest recovery talent, which later upgrades to being used up to twice as a triggered action and can remove Charmed and Frightened. Gets defensive bonus for staying close to functional allies. Crits give bonus to any subsequent attacks and (more importantly) impose a bane on anyone attacking you.

Spellguard- Gish and imo quite good. Probably the go-to-gish from here on out for many. Rogue tier HP, no defensive bonus, and must spend one stat point at level one on a physical attribute and one on a mental attribute (as you were going to do anyway). Only gets one tradition ever via this path (something to keep in mind with your Expert choice), but does get 2 spells at level 1, 1 spell for each subsequent level) and 1 power at level 1 and level 5. Gets Wizard recovery option, though it does not upgrade. Has base warrior Weapon Training and Combat Prowess, the crit option lets you use a triggered action to cast a spell you've learned (!) (or deal 1d3 damage instead if you're truly out of juice). While the level 8 Mastery ability is the usual damage/extra attack tradeoff, the level 5 Combat Expertise equivalent lets you forgo the bonus d6 to cast a spell before the end of your turn Acolyte-style (!!!).

Veteran- Basically the corebook warrior, though it does get a good equipment bonus at level 1. I think I only mentioned it for the Armiger, but all of these classes gain a little appropriate gear at level 1- i.e. the Hunter gets a bow and 30 arrows, the Spellguard gets an implement, while the Soldier gets a uniform, medium armor and a spear. The Veteran gets medium armor and a military weapon.

So a pretty good selection of things to build-around- I think most support reasonable niches and are worthy of consideration if you're building a character that fits into their archetype. I think Spellguard is the obvious standout from a power level perspective, since it solves many of the issues Gish builds had previously with Power progression (rogue), action economy (rogue and especially priest), and basic combat bonuses (Acolyte). Though I don't think it's so far above the curve it'd cause serious problems (i.e. it's not going totally quadratic or invalidating other character types, it just has some real nova potential).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yep, that's very much the intended use.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Gish Rogues have an action economy problem?

I overstated the issue and should just have left that as Priest- Exploit Opportunity helps a ton and they don't have ongoing issues like a Priest does (due to their triggered actions being spoken for), but Exploit Opportunity isn't necessarily dependable for short term self-buffs in the way an Acolyte's Spell Fighting is after level 5. Of course Acolytes are also wayyy more dependent on self-buffs to make their attacks worthwhile in the first place.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

So basically this is Uncertain Faith for Warriors? Interesting. I also kinda think it undermines what's fundamentally supposed to be a simple system. But then again, I have like 3 Warriors in my group. Hmm.

How's the balance look?

Pretty good I think, with the possible exception of spellguard (and spellguard really isn't necessarily better than Rogue depending on what you're doing- a Rogue is still more flexible and going to have better offensive spell-casting). The rest don't feel like they should tip the balance too much one way or the other- they make focused concepts a bit stronger/more viable, but typically pay a small price for the privilege (though in a way that may not actually matter). Even if it's all upside for a given build, the comparison to Uncertain Faith is pretty instructive in terms of how much difference it should make in overall power level. Some are a bit stronger or a bit weaker, but none of it should feel too good or bad in play (the one I'd worry about the most is probably the Enforcer, which has cool options the base warrior lacks for infliction afflictions but also takes setup in a way that might be frustrating).

Of course I've only had limited time to skim the material and haven't actually played with it, so it's possible there's a way for a caster to buff an endgame Monk to the point where it has enough attacks/accuracy to have good odds of keeping a demon-prince perma-stunned or something.
e: well a hypothetical demon prince equivalent that was actually vulnerable to stun. point is that nothing is leaping out as super problematic at this point

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 6, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

The book has a chart that on its surface appears to clearly lay out how many times you can cast a spell at various power levels but the fact that it goes up to 10 power level and tells you how many times you can cast a level 10 spell at that level confuses me since as far as I am aware:
character level 10 is the maximum
you don't get +1 power every level up, even for magician
nothing gives +2 power
none of these spell disciplines even go above power level 5

Why is this chart so needlessly big?

I believe there were originally plans to go beyond level 5 in future supplements, but it ultimately got cut down to a fairly limited system in Forbidden Rules for people who want to go "epic" with their characters after reaching the end of the current level range

even without using those optional rules there are items that can boost a player's Power above 5, as well as a few spells/incantations in various supplements that go above spell level 5 (more as examples of things really powerful beings might do/magic plot device stuff than anything else), there really wasn't any harm in posting an extended chart to cover those situations

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

I really like how Armiger gets at level 5 the ability to ignore the requirements to use medium and heavy armor, allowing you to play a character in heavy armor that doesn't either specifically focus their all into it or is a Fighter. Heavy Armor needing 15 strength always feels a bit ridiculous to me, to be honest, full plate wasn't THAT heavy.

Yep, I meant to note that. The STR requirements on heavy armor are absolutely an issue for the game, and one that stuff like the Fighter update is only a patch for (though given how good the Path of Battle Fighter is it's a pretty solid patch). At least there are a few more options now than there used to be (i.e. I was always insanely annoyed that Dwarves couldn't ever wear heavy armor with a standard stat array in the original corebook, so getting the racial option to start wearing plate at level 4 if you've got the scratch in For Gold and Glory is really nice for Dwarven Priests/Rune-wizards/etc.).

e: also Armiger in general is one of the more interesting paths, since it gives quite a lot of support to mounted fighting, something that doesn't have a lot of support elsewhere

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 6, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Krinkle posted:

e: we are coming to the conclusion it works the way I thought. phew!

it absolutely does, I think it's one of the things that trips people up the most about the system if they don't read carefully because the castings per power table makes you think "oh just like D&D/D&D-likes" when it's really not

e:

Krinkle posted:

Warrior friend is asking why he would ever, ever make an offhand attack with his shield when it means he isn't shielded for an entire turn, and he has a sword. Ideas?

The extra damage from his talents applies so at higher levels he could potentially hit a second target for like 1d3+3d6 (or more) and his primary target for full damage if he didn't need the boons, though he's right that if he's planning to use two weapon fighting to boost single target damage he'd be way better off using something like a mace or shortsword instead. Though note that if he goes (Path of Battle) Fighter at level 3 the shield damage die should become a d6 due to Fight With Anything so it becomes equivalent and then represents an opportunity to trade off defense for normal two-weapon fighting benefits (which may or may not be worth it). There are also some path abilities that can trigger off it (again, Fighter with Shield Bash), and scenarios where a shield could contribute extra damage by being used for two-weapon weapon fighting (i.e. if for some reason a shield had Runic Weapon cast on it it'd do it's normal damage +3d6 even when being used on a single target, or if it was a magic shield that added damage).

And Myrmidon I guess.

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 7, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I think the other common pitfalls are missing that discovering a tradition also gives you an associated 0-level spell and missing that when something says "1 round" it means one full round- i.e. the end of the round following the round in which the spell was cast/ability was used (per page 46)

so if you use a fast turn to cast something like Enchantment's level 1 spell Command you can take actions with your controlled creature twice (though note the reverse isn't true in terms of creatures Compelling players twice because of how the turn order works + Compel requiring the controlled creature to take a fast turn - otoh if a player is taking a slow turn they probably do want to watch out for any creatures that could impose a daze/stun on them during the creature's fast turn)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

damage is something you temporarily accumulate and you get in trouble when total damage exceeds your health value, which is necessary for the correct interpretation of the rules

this matters for some spells and abilities - most notably dark magic that gets massive bonuses or insta-kills/wrecks you if you're weak enough (Curse's Toad and Petrify spells, Forbidden's Hateful Defecation and Vision's End) and spells that use HP as a limiting factor (like Primal's Befriend Animal not letting you charm something with more health means you can't accumulate a small swarm of elephants at low levels by beating them down first)

Krinkle posted:

Starting a Song spell is my action. But on my next turn if I choose to move and attack, am I still singing? Are songs persistent or do I gotta just stand here saying 'yup i still sing' and not move to get it to work more than once?

this could definitely have been spelled out better in the book, but singing definitely isn't an Action except when you're first casting the spell or when the spell requires concentration, but you're still singing, which means you can only sing one song at a time and you can't embark on a lengthy monologue

but you can definitely battle-rap with Song of Valor while having your bard run around and stab people with a rapier

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Antilles posted:

Yeah, an average level 10 human with no extra Path shenanigans will have a, what, 15-13-10-9 attribute spread?

Also, while we're discussing things we might've been wrong about... You can't take more Damage than you have Health, right? Even if you're Health 15 and takes 20 damage you only drop Incapacitated with 15 Damage recorded?

Yep. It's on page 39.

Effects of Damage posted:

A creature or object suffers no ill effects from taking damage until its damage total equals its Health. If a creature’s damage total equals its Health, the creature becomes incapacitated (see below). If an object’s damage total equals its Health, it is destroyed.
The damage total can never exceed the Health of the creature or object; any excess damage is ignored.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, the Rogue is super deadly. If he uses Trickery with net boons, he also uses Backstab and deals +2d6 damage. If he uses Trickery but attacks without any net boons - is he dealing +1d6 damage or +0 damage?

RAW/RAI he's dealing +0 damage. It's basically classic D&D-esque rogue design- massive damage if you've got an advantage over your target, but damage that's inferior to a warrior-type if you're forced into a straight up brawl. Trickery abstracts stuff like feinting or setting up a flank so that rogues can do their thing without it being obnoxious/time consuming/difficult to pull off. Though you can certainly house-rule it.

"Robert Schwalb posted:

"In order to gain the extra damage from the Rogue Trickery talent, you must have the boon from the talent. You only count as having the boon for a roll if you actually roll the die. So, if you lose the boon from Rogue Trickery, you do not deal the extra damage."

"Trickery grants a boon to attack rolls and challenge rolls. Thus, outside of rounds, it’s assumed a rogue can use Trickery for any challenge roll. Rogues always have tricks up their sleeves."

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 8, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

I am finding a problem. Monk gives 1d3 unarmed, if the unarmed damage is less. Then up to 1d6 at 2nd level if unarmed damage is below that. Mystic improves unarmed damage to 1d6 if it is below that. Neither seem to do anything if your damage is already equal to or greater than that. This perfect seeming combination ends up with a bunch of wasted features.

EDIT: Also I tried charting out a Sylph Monk, Mystic, Martial Artist. And man that gets some crazy Defense and Speed.

Unarmed Prowess is +1d6 damage to unarmed strikes, similar to a normal Warrior's Combat Prowess (but only affecting unarmed attacks), it doesn't increase your base unarmed damage- i.e. a level 2 human (or Slyph in your case) monk does 1d3+1d6 (with probably an extra +1 from knuckledusters). The damage from Unarmed Combat Training is basically to tide you over at level 1-2 until you can take an expert path that boosts your damage at level 3 (i.e. Mystic or PoB Fighter) if you're not playing a race that already has a superior unarmed combat option. If you are then it's true you're not maximizing the value of those path features, but you also probably already have adequate damage and are not as tied to needing to take one of those Expert Paths.

e: You definitely deal less damage at lower levels than some of the other build options, but ignoring the bane for the combat manuevers gives you a lot of extra control/extra defense, you've got one of the best crit effects in the game and you ultimately build into a character with gross defense/mobility and quite decent if not necessarily wombo-combo-tier damage (at level 10 it'd be like 8d6 per round single target [via Flying Kick + Instinctive Focused Qi Strike]).

e2:

dwarf74 posted:

How do you guys adjudicate Iron Vulnerability? Do you include alloys like steel, or just figure cold iron is enough? I'm leaning towards the latter.

do whatever feels right for your game, but I'm pretty sure it explicitly includes alloys like steel-

Terrible Beauty, Page 3 posted:

Iron Loathing

Faeries cannot stand iron’s touch. Even its smell off ends them. The trouble they have with iron has to do with the metal’s magnetic properties, which interfere with faerie magic. Being magical creatures, the same disruption causes them extreme discomfort when they touch the metal, and some find their magical abilities start to unravel. Extended contact with iron or any of its alloys can leave burn marks.

which fits, since otherwise they presumably wouldn't continue to use bronze and bone weapons- iirc the only iron/iron-alloy thing called out as being non-disruptive is the Vorpal Sword, which is meteoric iron (and therefore presumably magical enough)

LGD fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 10, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Huh yeah okay somehow last night I misread Unarmed Prowess from Monk 2.

So new question. Pixie's Wee means half damage on weapon attacks. If one was a Pixie Monk/Mystic/Martial Artist would it be just the 1d3/1d6 unarmed damage, or also all the extra +1d6s, that would be halved? Also man how are Pixies supposed to survive since they start with 5 Strength/Health, and get half Health each type a level gives them Health. Which begs the question, Level 4 Pixie gets +2 Health, so is that halved as well to 1? Or is that supposed to be the equivalent of a 4 halved to 2 already?

You'd halve the total damage inflicted, including the extra D6's (unless under the effects of Dilate)-

SotDL, Page 39 posted:

When a creature or object takes half damage, divide the total damage by 2 and round down to the nearest whole number. You halve damage only once, regardless of how many times you are instructed to halve it.

Pixies aren't really terribly potent martial combatants prior to getting Dilate at level 4, at least in situations where you're trying to maximize DPS rather than shoot tiny arrows/stones at something that can't see or reach you until it dies. If you want that juicy 13 agility to start I think playing a Kung-Fu Goblin is a lot more straightforward. As far as survival goes I think you're mostly planning not to get hit at all, since you're naturally invisible (to some things) and have limited flight (even in the absence of suitable terrain to take fuller advantage of it, 5 yards should still be higher than almost all size 1 creatures with normal weapons can hit). Some stuff trumps/negates those advantages and you're definitely more prone to getting splattered than the average character if they are, but they're quite potent if used well (to the point of being insurmountable in some scenarios), and once you get Dilate you can play as a normal character whenever it's advantageous.

I'm also pretty sure that a Pixie will get 2 health at level 4 since it's a bonus from an Ancestry rather than a Path (i.e. it's already effectively "pre-halved").

e:

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah that sounds conclusive! But I think I'll ignore it for my party's changeling... Who has never even used his powers yet. He's also a Fighter so he's already hardly powergaming. I'll keep it in mind if I ever get any elves though.

yeah that sounds pretty reasonable

also, if he's feeling weak (to either you or him) take a look at the Paths of Battle revision to the Fighter- it goes from a very "blah"/"I don't know what else to pick" Expert path into something quite a bit more exciting/powerful

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

and just to complicate things further, don't forget you can take a second expert path instead of a master path (see page 60 in the corebook), so if you were a sword + board fightman you could take something like Knight from Paths of Battle to be more defendery (though that particular example also has similar issues to the champion where a lot of the juice is at level 10)

Master paths are sweet, but I missed this wrinkle for quite a while myself so I like to point it out when I can

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Oh yeah we're already there. It's also been updated in the most recent PDF of the core book. He's been eating the Bane to wear heavier armor for a session or so, and is ready to get rid of it. He picked Changeling for RP rather than power reasons, if it's not obvious.

He also went with Soldier from the Bred for Battle book, which emphasizes heavier armor even more, so...

hah you're totally right- I knew Schwalb had wanted to back-port it to the core but I remember some people complaining about the Fighter actually being good and I couldn't remember where that had ended up/I hadn't re-downloaded my copy in ages

yeah, changeling really isn't the best mechanical choice for a strength build though

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I mean there’s Witch but Guidance doesn’t seem like it would mesh well with song magic (though that’s GM dependent). Spellbinder is the go-to for gishes but isn’t really big on boosting allies, other than with spells. Uh, maybe Artificer since you can hand out buff spells to use while singing from level 6 on? The bag of guns and bombs seems pretty PoE as well.

e: also in terms of handing out AOE boons and the like, while things like Blessing/Divine Aid in Theurgy are fairly obvious I should point out that Rune's Scrimshaw of Battle (from Freeport Companion) and Lasting Rune (from For Gold and Glory) are a really good level 1/0 combo that should let you passively buff the whole party's attack/damage for most of the adventuring day

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 25, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Antilles posted:

Speaking of build requests, I've a player who wants to be a healbot. Priest of the New God for Novice Path is all fine and good, but we're kinda struggling for a good Expert Path. We didn't really have time to look so we went with Cleric to follow the New God theme, but it's kinda useless without attack spells, and the player's going all in on Life so far. Red Cloak would probably fit thematically, but he wants dat Resurrection, baby, so a no Power path is unfortunately right out. I don't think I've missed anything, but I thought I'd just check if anyone had any suggestions.

in addition to Wizard (which is an excellent pick), I think Sorcerer would likely be a good choice, though unfortunately the player won't really see the benefit until level 6 when greater sorcery kicks in

however once it does there are a lot of potential benefits - potent spell casting makes low level heals pretty beastly (assuming you're not going to be a stickler about the misplaced "attack" restriction on spells that heal, which you shouldn't), while far spell lets him use his touch-based heals at range, and lasting/empowered also have potential applications (especially if he branches out into Theurgy buffs or another tradition)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I think that might be a bad idea, what with the exploding and all?

I mean I guess, and also its illegal and heretical, but you've got complete control over whether you risk exploding or not, and you explode at the end of the round so it should frequently be possible to work around it via the simple expedient of one or more parties moving.

At the very least it has the potential to make things exciting!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Apologies if this has already been addressed. I'm giving thought to converting a game currently in one D&D derivative over to SotDL, but I have one character is strongly tied to an animal companion and another couple that might want to have one. Is there a class or tradition that implements anything like this? I understand it being somewhat counter to SotDL's design choices but want to find a way to work through that if I can. If not, I'll write the material for our own use but would appreciate any guidance just the same.

Yes, beyond just having them train an animal with skills or whatever, the Befriend Animal spell in the Primal Tradition does this by letting you charm random animals permanently (you're eventually going to hit a 20+ if you keep doing it when you take a rest), and the tradition also gives animal companions buffs (plus lets you summon more). The spell does have a HP limit and it doesn’t upgrade the animal permanently or anything, so if they want to stick with the same wolf cub you’ll probably want to let them upgrade it’s size or apply a relevant template/role at appropriate junctures (either sticking to HP limit or just using what appear to be the implied guidelines for summons- i.e. diff 5 at level 1 and then roughly up one difficulty step every 2 levels thereafter).

e: though thinking about this a bit more you may want to err on the side of caution given that the summons are permanent and Befriend Animal lets you have a number = to power- i.e. a single Difficulty 100 bear companion you've had since the beginning is neat, but it would seem pretty ridiculous to let a level 1 spell to essentially give you the benefits of 5 level 5 spells, especially since Befriend Animal's HP limit would normally restrict you to Large Animals (Diff 25). If they start Befriending multiple companions I'd probably restrict the benefits of such "long term development" so their companions were stuck at lower difficulty or have such companions count as more than one animal against the maximum number you can Befriend.

LGD fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 7, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Elfgames posted:

don't do game conversions, it bad.

yeah this, especially with such a focused concept, which goes wayyyyy beyond "animal companion"

the closest thing in stock SotDL is almost certainly the Occultist Expert Path from Paths of Power, which is about going nuts with Forbidden magic and enslaving the souls of the damned (one of whom you get as a scaling companion creature, though I don't think the lemure is that good mechanically)

if you were trying to translate the concept of "summoner who has a special pokemon" more directly I think you'd likely need to do a homebrew Expert Path- I'm thinking like full caster, forced conjuration path/spell choice at level 3, taking the path also grants you a path-specific level 1 Conjuration spell that functions similarly to the "Familiar" spell from Exquisite Agony except it summons a single Monster [using generic monster stats] that scales based on your Power (basically taking the normal magic-weaving of Conjuration and focusing it on creating a more permanent and powerful servant [though in character it may be seen differently- sort of like a tulpa I guess] since that's how SotDL Conjuration works and "summoning Outsiders" has slightly different setting implications- though it also wouldn't be the first time a demon got yanked from the void to be used as a soul, and that could definitely give it a bit of fun flavor)

higher level features would presumably grant flat bonuses/extra abilities to the pokemon in question (Of Monstrous Mien probably would be a good place to look) and/or give special actions you can do with your summoned critter

you could certainly just run it as an NPC but if the summoned creature is functionally acting as a pet/aid for a single character, and the character is defined largely by that relationship I think it's definitely appropriate to have it cost chargen resources

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 7, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

“It’s by one of the guys who designed 5e and then went on to make an even more refined, better supported, and metal version of D&D, I’d like to check it out.”

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Glukeose posted:

Even though it kind of goes against the streamlined class design, I'm really interested in a Bred for Battle equivalent for rogues or magicians. Not sure what would even be in it honestly but the expanded options for warrior-like novice paths were really cool and flavorful.

honestly it's not even that it's against the design, it's just that those classes need it less- priests are thematically based around their religion so providing support for that makes sense, as do more specialized martial traditions

meanwhile rogues already self-define their builds with the Roguery talents, and wizards through the traditions they select

obviously there are lots of potentially fun mechanical tweaks you could make to either base class, but I think making coherent alternate beginner paths would be more of a challenge

SunAndSpring posted:

They still letting people sign up for the playtests?

I would also like to know!

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you learn the same spell twice to get more castings?

it's not mentioned in the rules but the official answer on this one is "no"