Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can’t remember when I developed crippling second-thoughts-about-choosing-skills-itis but I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there a way to see what weapon is mounted where on an enemy mech I am missing?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My Dekker is invincible. Everybody has taken random pilot hits but him.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the value in tactician on non-scout characters? I see people recommending it for LRM boats but I'm unclear why.

Well tactics *points* determine your indirect fire accuracy.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the only ones I've seen have a big ol' red marker on the squares where they're gonna land with a big ol' warning if you mouse over them

don't go there

I've had some just drop out of loving nowhere with no warning so maybe it's a bug?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cowcaster posted:

actually, can someone :goonsay: the called shot targeting percentage interface to me? that was one thing i used a couple times yesterday that i had no idea what i was actually accomplishing

Your to-hit number (next to your weapons) is always your to hit number. The called shot popup lets you know that IF you hit, you have X Y Z percent chance to hit X Y Z part. Facing matters; if you're attacking from a mech's right side you can't hit their left arm, for example. I don't know 100% how it works but the percent % to hit a part seems to be a combination of where you are aiming and the size of the part. That's why even if you aim for the head you only get a 2% chance to hit it, it's a small hard to hit target.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bruceski posted:

Am I bad person for wanting to restart the campaign and suffer through the whole starter missions because I noticed a typo in my call-sign?

Only if I'm bad for wanting to restart to change my skill selection

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cynic Jester posted:

This is really not worth it as you want 4 in all the trees relatively early.

I meant the active ones. Abilities? I have no idea what the game calls them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Holy poo poo DO NOT LET OPFOR KNOCK YOU OVER. I was doing okay, then my Commander's Captapult got tipped over and the enemy reinforcement lance came over the hill at the same time. Every single enemy went to town on her so now she's out for like 100 days and I have a loving hell of a reapir bill. Was lucky I managed to pull off a Good Faith Withdrawal.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Holy poo poo Smithon is kicking my rear end. 2 skulls? Really? You're outnumbered 2 to 1 how the gently caress is that 2 skulls

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How does the pay effect on morale work? Is it +/- x for only that month, or does it "stick." For example, if I have 25 morale and set pay to the -2 morale level, with it be 23 morale every month or 23 moral next month and 21 morale the month after?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Amechwarrior posted:

They stick. I've been running +1 and even some +2 after the first month and now I'm 6-7 months in with 30+ base morale. It's better to do this earlier, as your upkeep is less from having fewer units, pilots and ship upgrades to pay for.

Wow if that's the case the Argo upgrades for morale seem pretty bad, especially the really expensive ones. I could pay 450k + an extra 1.7k a month orrr just raise my pay for one month by like, 250k for the same boost.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So it turns out you can fit 2 LRM-20s, with one thousand four hundred and forty missiles, AND a PPC, and almost max armor on an AWS-8T. Ammunition scarcity? What’s that?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

UberJew posted:

Problem is the Orion is already able to carry 2 LRM-20s, as much ammo as you want and maxed armor and while it isn't quite as heavily armored it is very close, has better initiative and more zombie locations that soak up fire with nothing to crit. Cheaper to repair, too.

I don't have one because I've only ever seen 2, and both on mission I went full money on :saddowns:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

You can fit 4 LRM 20s on a Stalker. :getin:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there somewhere I can see the "speed" of a mech?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My punch-banshee is cursed. Behemoth took a PPC to the face so I had to eject her because one hit would have blown the cockpit. The next mission, Medusa in the same, newly reapaired mech takes 2 LRM bonks to the head and then an awesome runs around the corner and puts its face through his cockpit. RIP Medusa you were dispassionate but very fast and good at punching things.

Also, that mission had a lance of 4 demolishers :gonk:

edit: he died a few hours before payday, too. rip

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2018

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Did they touch on the vehicle speed during the AMA? I’m curious if it really was an oversight or they’re supposed to go 500 kph.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mordja posted:

Help! I have a horrible compunction to try and fill every hardpoint on a mech. Needless to say, my builds are...less than ideal.

Do you really want ideal? Or do you want MORE DAKKA :orks101:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Rascyc posted:

Bulwark is only mandatory if you don't use reserve, or design some mechs around non-bulwark. Bulwark is good and is really versatile, but there's a whole lot more in the game than just Bulwark and sit there and fire.

Can't use reserve with a Steiner Scout Lance though

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The gunnery skills really start to drop off late game. Mulishot is much less important because heavies/assaults have less evasion and are easier to hit, plus you really need to be focusing fire. Breaching shot suffers the same issue in that you’re better off focusing all firepower on someone who’s not in cover/braced and since you’re always outnumbered, it’s not hard to find a valid target.

What I’m saying is I regret having 3 2 gun/1 guts warriors now and wish I’d made at least one of them 2 tax/1 guts

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Conspiratiorist posted:

Counterpoint: multi-shot + breaching shot + LRMs on fools you want to knock over while the rest of your weapons focus on already downed or near-death mechs.

Yes but breaching shot ignores covered and guarded, but doesn’t mention ignoring entrenched which is the stability buff. I wonder if it ignores that as well.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Sometimes, your full assault lance rolls low on the encounter table and only has to kill 2 dragons and a thunderbolt.

Sometimes, one of those dragons scores an AC/5 and ML headshot on your undamaged highlander in the first volley and murders your 10/10/10/10 Behemoth.

https://imgur.com/a/QDHKeqU

also I have no idea how to embed .gifs

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

100% of the MP games I've tried have ended with a network disconnection in the first few seconds. What gives?

Apparently all the MP games are hosted on a single server and HBS vastly underestimated the demand that was gonna be put on it.

Edit: Also, we should have some sort of Master Mod list. Not everything is on the nexus and there's a ton of good stuff out there.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Can someone confirm my suspicions that Bulwark doesn’t reduce stability damage? RAW it says you are granted guarded which give you 50% damage reduction, but it DOESN’T mention entrenched which is the stability buff from bracing.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In my experience you immediately drop into combat if you get a visual on an enemy unit, regardless of how many of your dudes you have moved. If you get a sensor contact you get to finish sprinting all of your dudes before you enter a combat round.

I can second this.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The PPC Awesome is probably the best way to field PPCs when paired with a gun 2 pilot. You can put a good chunk of single hit location damage and stability damage on 3 mechs no matter where they are (within LOS of course) and what they are doing. I used one for a long time.

No local contracts is a bad design choice IMO. The boring 5 minutes of cutscenes and travel between planets is already the worst part of the game, why add so much more of it?

Edit: Luckily it appears to be easily changeable, just a JSON edit.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 23, 2018

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yeah they’re way too heavy. Honestly, melee is so niche thy should be weightless just like the upgraded gyros.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

counterfeitsaint posted:

So if you withdraw do you automatically lose the mission even though you've already accomplished the objective? I had a mission where I didn't want to deal with the bullshit reinforcements but I already killed the entire lance I needed to kill, but there wasn't any option to evac, I thought I could just withdraw and be cool but apparently not.

There's "Good Faith Withdrawal" which requires at least one objective complete (I have no idea if it has to be a primary objective) and at least one kill. It sounds like that's the one you should have got, which means you did technically fail the contract but you should still get some salvage and not lose and rep.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, that's what I got. But the contract said to kill a lance of mechs, and I killed all 4 and the objective thing said 100% when I got the last one and then it said objective completed. But there were reinforcements and I didn't kill any of them. I just assumed I wouldn't get the 20% or whatever bonus for completing that bonus objective. If killing reinforcements and completing bonus objectives is 100% required then why do you get bonuses for it? I guess there are missions where it's just literally impossible to get just your agreed upon pay without bonuses, you either fail entirely or you get the bonus, which doesn't make sense to me.

I am assuming by "withdraw" you meant that you used the withdraw button. Extraction is a primary objective, so you *technically* did not complete your contact as agreed. This is why being a mercenary sucks in Battletech, employers love to dick you over with fine print.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

It's a shame putting official mod support in Shadowrun apparently cost them :10bux: but it seems like the mod community is getting along swimmingly without it which is nice.

I was discussing traits with the people on Discord today and that's something I'd like to see expanded in the future. There's already some hooks to specific traits in some of the pop up events but it could be so much more. A "Bloodthirsty" pilot who gains a buff after dealing pilot damage, for example. I feel that in the end the pilots end up mattering more than the mechs, because if you lose a mech you can just repair it. Even if you totally lost a mech when it was destroyed, it's not like there aren't a dozen more in your hold by midgame. But losing a high level pilot? That's 20 something hours of gameplay to replace.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Flipswitch posted:

Is Victoria's Crab set a certain way or something? I managed to headshot it and it wouldn't let me salvage it.

Yes, it’s unsalvagable.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ze Pollack posted:

sticking to the dekker trying to kill dekker to prevent me from revealing his plot to kill decker bit

It's a good bit to be fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cobbsprite posted:

Yup, this is right. No matter how much stability damage you do, you can't knock it down in one hit. Once you hit the "unstable" threshold, the next stability hit will knock it down. The most efficient way to manage that is multitarget LRM boats. Split the fire so that you make two targets both unstable with one mech, and then knock them down with a second. Doing that reliably takes LRM20+++ launchers with lots of +stability damage mods and the accuracy to lay in the hits.

But really, I found more than enough use out of one Lurmbote with +stab damage to load it up, and a second to push it over.

I'm pretty sure it's "unsteady the mech first, then max the stability bar to knock it down" which is slightly different. To be fair though, once a mech is unsteady it's pretty hard NOT to knock it down with the next shot. It's just theoretically possible.