Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is the tactics guide in OP still relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

no sorry "jarring" is one of those overused goonisms that needs to be taken out back and shot

Well, it was "incongruous and clashing" time skip in my opinion. Wasn't I supposed to be dropped off at the nearest planet? What just happened? It's a small gripe, but it's as good a word to describe it as any.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

UberJew posted:

+60 heat is often enough to force a shutdown which is both 1) guaranteed pilot damage without a knockdown, that will stack if you follow up by knocking it down and 2) gives you called shots

Small lasers are definitely the way to go for robot murder but I have a second Orion and a Black Knight thanks to that flamer setup letting me murder pilots even when they've got 5+ hits

I only got one heavy, so I am not very far in, but I have been disappointed with the pilot-killing strategy. I get so little loot that it doesn't seem worth it to go out of my way. Sure I could drop money to nil and get 3 choice parts, but is it worth it?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Zore posted:

If you kill the pilot you can get 3 salvage parts for a mech. Any given Mech except a Locust is going to sell for more than you give up in payment.

Also some contracts are weighted to give more salvage or money.

Yeah, it just seems like a big risk to take less money for may be getting a mech. Although now that I have a few mil in the bank, it makes more sense to take this gamble.

BTW, does anyone have a rule of thumb for when one should give up rewards for faction rep?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Taerkar posted:

I also still have both Glitch and Dekker, though Dekker's been wounded more often than not. #ScoutLyfe.

I got Dekker in Shadow Hawk as my main puncher. He is good at it :].

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coldforge posted:

The skull rating is really suspect and not at all reliable. I've had 3 skull missions with only a few medium mechs as the target, and 2.5 skull missions with several mediums and a heavy.

True. I had a 2 skull vs 8 mechs.

VVV How much ammo for AC20 would you carry?

pokie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 26, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ciaphas posted:

Based on a reddit post about what configuration values affect animation speeds and accels, I decided I didn't want to edit all those loving files to find a nice value.

So I wrote a lovely little app in an hour to do it for me.

Backup your BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\movement folder in your Battletech directory first, then run totally not a virus dot exe from the zip file, enter a speed multiplier, click Update, and voila, next time you enter a mission the animations will be sped (or slowed, you madman) by that much.

(edit) blah blah blah I don't guarantee it won't burn down your internet blah MIT license blah. But it worked a treat for me and a mate.

How do I point it at the right path? It can't find my GOG install and looks at the wrong drive anyway.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ciaphas posted:

Don't bother, its use was obviated literally the next morning :v:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8f8wb4/psa_enable_debug_would_with_registry_key_always/ for debug mode speed hack, much easier

Oh cool. Your effort is appreciated anyway!

cheesetriangles posted:

Found a +2 damage LRM 20 :eyepop:

That thing shits out 120 damage now instead of 80.

GG, as they say.

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 28, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is it just be or does the SS version of Thunderbolt suck? That's the one that's basically energy only.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ciaphas posted:

I named mine Disco Stu, just shoved on a shitload of mlas and hs and said go nuts

Good odds of scoring small sandpapering at long range, high but sandpaper alpha at close range, monstrous with precision strike

So just straight up 7 medium lasers and no other weapons? OK, I will try that with my bugged pilot who has cheaper morale ability usage.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Bubbacub posted:

What's the best way to beat the dropship control tower mission? I feel like I can barely get in range by 15 turns.

I stayed on the ridge and shot all the poo poo until there were ~6 turns left. Then I had one healthy mech with high piloting pilot just sprint for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coucho Marx posted:

Also, this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but is XCOM 2 any good? I know a lot of us are probably here because of that series, and I've played loads of XCOM, but I bought 2 ages ago and never played it, and I don't remember if there be was a reason.

Oh, you know, only the best game in the last 5 years or so.