Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
How has Paradox been in lawsuits, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Been playing thus for the last few days and enjoying it a lot, but what is up with the refit timers? I mean, I get they don't want you to abuse it, but 30+ days just to outfit a mech is ridiculous.

As you repair the Argo your Tech Points increase, and the Medical does as well, so it does get better.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
BTA 3062 also has the ability to manually choose your drop zone, and it is required for a full 16 unit drop in urban maps because you will eventually spawn kill one of your units.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay, I'm looking all over the settings and can't find this. Do I need to set this out of game?

This image has got the instructions (from the BTA discord) on how to do it. That file should also have entries for weather and minimap in the mission description in the Command Center. Also a minimap for in mission.

Edit: Manual drops are most useful for convoys and is more or less required on urban maps with larger companies (BTA allows up to 2x 6 mech lances and a 4 BA 3rd lance) where you can either telefrag or suicide into buildings with auto-deploy.

CoffeeQaddaffi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 9, 2024

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I'm not sure if you can add it mid-run, but turning it on mid-run does nothing other than adding a manual button and manual deployment, so its probably safe to introduce into your modtek list.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

I guess I don't really understand why HBS is barred from working on BattleTech and Shadowrun in the future, since Paradox doesn't own either of those properties and HBS made them in license with Microsoft. Paradox, to my knowledge, doesn't own either property; how could they prevent HBS from seeking a new license?

Unless it's just the complicated legalese of HBS not being able to use any work from the Paradox-owned specific games and not wanting to have to consistently prove that they didn't use any code, assets, or anything specific to those games in any new game.

Paradox didn't want to foot any amount for the bill for licensing the Battletech IP for a dev studio that they acquired because they made a wildly successful Battletech game.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
You'll probably want the DLC then, since most if not all of them include content that requires them.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Latest run has been the "Wait Whose Name Here" company, though "[REDACTED]" will probably be funnier.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Warad posted:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with it, now starting a new career in a 3025 start, yes, since that's a "hope you like bugs, Griffins and Phoenix Hawks" purgatory, but any start post-helm or when the Clans have shown up everyone has a decent enough variety going by that point.

I could never get BEX's timeline/time progression stuff working, which is too bad because the idea of taking a merc company from 3025/3039 to the fall of the Second Star League seems like a fun idea to me.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Went and gave it another shot. 600k reward for going up against a full assault lance and medium second lance, with bonus infantry. Pulled off two assault kills and then the attrition became unmanageable. Seems clearly like a bug where it should be one assault.

BTA uses, I think, a sub-mod or setting in MC to introduce variability in OPFOR lances. If you're on a hot streak with zero losses/wounds the difficulty is increased even more, and vice versa if you're in a loss spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Klyith posted:

This game did that. Particularly back at release when people didn't know it backwards and forwards. Intentionally so.

Xcoms don't do that, because a critical component of a game design that throws near-impossible scenarios at you is how tolerable you make failure. Xcom 1 doesn't really tolerate failure. Seeing several missions in a row that you can't win is the failure spiral. Xcom 2 is slightly more flexible, and it had some things like the timed missions where you could have some partial-success stuff.

The problem is that most people don't like that, in the strategy genre. One of frequent things in negative reviews of the game on Steam was "difficulty spikes" or other descriptions of the random difficulty. Xcom 2 at launch got a ton of negativity for the timed missions too. I think, unless you contextualize the game as a roguelike or something, people just expect strategy game missions to always be winnable. Which is weird, because if there's anything a military simulation should have it's the occasional scenario where complete victory is flat-out impossible. Everyone expects to be Kirk.

Also Clantech makes it much harder to fight against superior forces with the goal of accomplishing one sub-objective and then bugging out.

I think a side/related problem in the strategy & tactics genre that reinforces the "all scenarios are winnable" belief is that a large amount of strategy games, especially the ones on the lighter end of the spectrum, are actually just puzzle games. Its my one big issue with the Jagged Alliance 3 devs, they stated that showing a percentile chance to hit turned the game into a puzzle game instead of strategy/tactics game. Which, to me is the opposite; when shooting, I know that the round is going to go out in a straight line with a rough cone (unless I'm doing bench supported) of where that line goes (the act of breathing will adjust your aim point, which is where the cone comes from). I know I have a 95% chance to hit what I'm shooting at, since myself and the target are stationary and the only chance to miss is firing at the wrong point in my breath.

But yeah, the biggest problem for strategy games is the puzzle factor.