Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Don't get autocannons poo poo on now. Them finally being worth their weight is a blessing. Energy weapons don't need to rule everything. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Feindfeuer posted:

I remember the MWO crowd being really angry when they were told that the controls of MechAssault were far closer to canon than the overly complicated controls of classic Mechwarrior games, as the books and lore state over and over how most things can be done via a single joystick, and all the fine details are done via the stupid helmet. That said, Battletech lore isn't very consistent and Battletech fans are more than willing to cherry pick the books and sources that fit their vision of the universe and get furious if they encounter things that contradict those ideas, no matter if they are in-canon things they don't like (Tetatae, actual Mech Controls) or gameplay changes of any kind, no matter if for the better or the worse, from what they are used to.

Most things in the classic Mechwarrior games COULD be done with a single joystick, though? I played Mechwarrior 2 and 3 with an old first run Sidewinder and that thing had like 4 buttons and a hat-switch and throttle slider. I think I had a Thrustmaster stick by the time of MW4 and while that had a few more buttons around the base, it still wasn't "overly complicated".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm not saying energy weapons shouldn't be useful, just that they don't need to surpass ACs in every regard. Energy boating is a tried and true tradition, and it'll certainly be easy if you just don't want to mess with poo poo. But I like autocannons. :saddowns:

Also, Battletech is on the Top Sellers list on the front page of Steam now! :bubblewoop: It's in the last slot, but that's still climbing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Wait, there's no restrictions in multiplayer? What the heck, why would anyone field anything except the absolute best thing then. You gotta get some interesting rules going on if that's the case. Maybe something like "Light mechs only", or "Only one mech of every class"

The restrictions in multiplayer are whether it is a stock only lobby, and then a battle size. 15-20-25 million or Unlimited.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I always write it as "make due" because it just made sense in my head to do so. Make do just sounds like gibberish. It'd be like saying we had to "make go" somewhere.

Mercifully, I'm not an English teacher, so I'm not obligated to care. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eej posted:

Haven't really been keeping up with this game at all and I just want to check can I just go all tanks and aerospace or do I really gotta use mechs

You get no tanks or air support on your side, that was cut for time (or being too fiddly to actually be fun, I forget).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eej posted:

Because combined arms is fun and even more so it's more fun to take down a bunch of robot lords with the lowly tank.

Oh sick instant preorder

I'm on-board for combined arms (especially aerofighters) being cool. A shame to see them go, but maybe they'll return in a future DLC or sequel.

As for the multi-shot vs single shot, I think Amechwearrior has a gif somewhere of him modifying an LRM to fire 40 half-damage shots instead of 20 full damage shots, and maybe one for ACs as well. If I recall his explanation correctly, you can just modify the values and the engine is fine with displaying however many projectiles you tell it to.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Every single person who's ever played Battletech definitely has a story of something like a single small laser from a light TAC-ing the gyro on a completely undamaged assault ending up with it falling head over heels off the map.

As best exemplified in this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It comes down to whether you think a bit of randomness is good in your game or not. It would probably be infuriating in a game where you're primarily facing the AI, but against other players it lets some fun moments happen.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Section Z posted:

Pretend you're on a dropship ride to your contract.

In that case, shouldn't someone be providing me hamburgers? :thunk:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Was it PTN canon or actually in the book that it was left ambiguous as to whether the bird aliens actually existed or if it was part of a hallucination induced by weird poo gas on the planet?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q&A with HBS is starting shortly on the Paradox stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone got their backer kit key yet? I imagine it'll be sometime next week maybe?

They said previously we'll get our keys "a few days" before release, so maybe the end of next week or Sunday/Monday the following.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eh, they answered fairly directly about weapon balance and lance sizes.

Though the answer to the question about quad mechs was my favorite. "In success, all things are possible. But not quad mechs, gently caress you."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The answer about weapon balance is basically that weapon balance will always be in flux, to be adjusted in the future so bitching about pre-launch balance changes is kind of pointless. There is no "final" balance patch, as it'll get tweaked even after launch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'll probably actually give MWO a shot again when they release that Solaris mode. Likely still end up mad at it, but hey, it might be cool.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

School Nickname posted:

I heard from a dude that the Shadowrun combat AI has sliders and other technical whatsits to GM you a lot, enemies getting harder to hit and being more accurate when your squad was pristine and easing off when you were in trouble. Apart from the :xcom: probabilities I didn't notice this, so I'm wondering whether this is true or not. I heard Mike in the latest stream mention making stuff harder if you were having a good run, or something to that effect so I'm a little anxious. I wouldn't mind coming up against a campaign like Phrosphor's Shithawk Surprise if I was raking in salvage and C-Bills for ages, but affecting the hit chances in a fight if I'm doing well seems a little bullshit to me. Hopefully it's all in my head but still. :ohdear:

We asked Kiva in the discord, she confirmed "there is no background fuckery with your hit percentages in that way. There is a streak-breaking code that tries to force a hit if you've had nothing but misses for awhile, but other than the streak-breaker, the percentages are accurate." and "Streak-breaker doesn't apply to the AI, either, and the AI is unaware of it".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I actually don't give PGI credit for the core gameplay feeling good. IS AC20s feel good. SRMs feel good. As an old Mechwarrior grog the setup for how the arms work compared to the torso feels weird to me (because I'm used to playing with a joystick, I guess), everything else feels finnicky. The in-game economy was unnecessarily punishing, and that's comparing it to the fact that the most similar games I've played are by loving Wargaming.

Their balance is poo poo, but that stems from a lack of understanding of what they should actually be balancing towards, which is why they ended up with LRM metas, pop-tarting, thinking Ghost Heat was a good idea, etc. They fundamentally don't understand how to make a good Mechwarrior game (IMO). I have zero faith they'll suddenly figure it out for a single player game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In base MW4 pop-tarting was popular but not very effective. A number of the maps made it hard either by not having cover set up in a way where you could do it within weapons range or having an area that made you easily flankable behind your cover if you tried. Plus you could lock people behind cover if you had a sensor lock on them so it was easy to see when they were going up for their jump and drill them right as they came up with your super accurate weapons and use that to throw off their shot. In competitive games you basically never ran into it (or at least I didn't), it was just what pubbies would do in open games and they'd usually get smashed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Maybe we'll get to play as the crane operator that gets to drunkenly swing mechs around like a wrecking ball for DFAs like in the trailer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aramoro posted:

I am in meetings all day next week but my mind will be robo-stomping over other robots.

Just excuse yourself because you have "important contract negotiations" to handle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nickiepoo posted:

The new South Park game allows this too to an even greater extent but given that it's South Park it's hard to know if they're taking the piss or not.

Given that it's South Park, would it matter if they were or not? They'll make fun of basically anyone and anything, so having the option doesn't really make you more or less of a target in that context. It fills in a word in a sentence generator.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nickiepoo posted:

Well either it's there because they're mocking the concept or it's there because they're mocking people who take issue with the concept (or both, as you say), but I'm only part way through so it's hard to tell.

I'd wager their position is about the same it is on other poo poo, mock the people who get overly butthurt about it on either side, because ultimately it's not THAT big a deal on a relative scale so being a huge rear end in a top hat about it is stupid regardless of your position. So the option is probably in good faith, with a side lesson of "hey, keep things in perspective because otherwise you look like a crazy person".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Internet Explorer posted:

Won't somebody think of the 9000 Steam users in Australia!

You say this, but I lived in a rural area here in the States and boy were preloads a godsend for that situation too, because gently caress the bootleg garbage we get stuck with.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

UberJew posted:

I would absolutely love to read fiction about how the warship and aerospace folks spent their time while the mechwarriors and elementals were fighting the actual invasion

Aerospacers still got to do stuff. The Sphere had the means to produce their own aerospace fighters, but even on worlds that didnt there were often still atmosphere-only aircraft around to fight, and Aerospace fighters would be used to fight mechs and stuff.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ciaphas posted:

Lore question, do ComStar people believe in their own technotheocratic fart huffing, or does everyone know it's just a front for keeping their hands on the keys to the castle (of Terra and HPG secrets)?

They mostly believe their own stupid bullshit. ComStar themselves lean on the more practical side of it (just keeping themselves in power), but the off-shoot faction Word of Blake are all in on the fart-huffing that Blake was a holy messiah type and listen to his vague, barely remembered words.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kanos posted:

There's a lot of potential reasons for this. First, as Internet Explorer says, Games Workshop stuck with and controlled their brand with an iron fist and developed it over a long time while perpetually-cash-strapped FASA shotgunned their license everywhere, leading to brand dilution. For example, the most popular and well known Battletech products are the Mechwarrior games and there are many people who bought and enjoyed those games without ever knowing they had anything to do with Battletech in the first place! FASA invented some of the neatest tabletop settings in existence(Battletech, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies) but never, ever had the market penetration or influence that GW had.

Second, Battletech is traditionally aesthetically ugly as hell and didn't improve for a long time. For every instantly memorable iconic design like the Atlas or the Mad Cat, you've got a fat metal baby or a weird mecha-stork running around, and most of the iconic character art is bad sourcebook art.

Third, Battletech's story is really hard to rope kids in with. It's got giant robot fighting but most of the backstory is a relatively complex web of dry setting history and politics.

Fourth, I think you get a bit more diversity (ironically) in Warhammer. Everybody that has robots in Battletech is a human. So you have a bunch of racist caricatures to split them apart in the lore, and various political bullshit, but aside from the IS/Clan breakup everybody is driving roughly the same robots shooting the same guns. You don't have orks, you don't have guys with anime supertech, you don't have magic space elves, and your guys in power armor are (by default) weird Michelein man looking toad robots instead of supermen in ornately covered but mostly humanoid armor.

[EDIT]And if you mean tabletop specifically instead of just the brand, you get a lot more space barbies to paint.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Prism posted:

LB-X guns don't cluster because reasons. Fine with an LB-X 2,

Except for the fact that at that point you're using an LBX 2. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You can kill yourself from overheat in MWO too. Or at least you could when I played way back when.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PTN's campaign is to the point he's been building basically all his mechs from scratch anyway. Has been for quite some time.

it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

OB_Juan posted:

I am too, now! I was sad I missed out on playing in that before, and was too intimidated by the thread length to try and catch up, but if a new one starts to work with the new rules, I'm deffo going to try to get in. Maybe drag another goon in, too.

It's not so much a new LP/thread as it is that there's going to be a time skip in the current setting to move it forward and thats when the tech changes will come into play.