Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

You get no tanks or air support on your side, that was cut for time (or being too fiddly to actually be fun, I forget).

The latter, certainly. Why the hell would anyone buy a game about giant robutts in order to use not giant robutts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Eej posted:

Aw that sucks. If they don't have the time to implement that stuff I assume they don't have time for more fluffy stuff like AC's of the same rating differing in RoF/calibre but performing the same.

They have differing visual effects for ACs, some are a stream and some are a single projectile. For the same class of AC.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess some people want to be the SRM Carrier in that Cohh clip

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dramicus posted:

The latter, certainly. Why the hell would anyone buy a game about giant robutts in order to use not giant robutts?

Because combined arms is fun and even more so it's more fun to take down a bunch of robot lords with the lowly tank.

Q_res posted:

They have differing visual effects for ACs, some are a stream and some are a single projectile. For the same class of AC.

Oh sick instant preorder

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eej posted:

Because combined arms is fun and even more so it's more fun to take down a bunch of robot lords with the lowly tank.

Oh sick instant preorder

I'm on-board for combined arms (especially aerofighters) being cool. A shame to see them go, but maybe they'll return in a future DLC or sequel.

As for the multi-shot vs single shot, I think Amechwearrior has a gif somewhere of him modifying an LRM to fire 40 half-damage shots instead of 20 full damage shots, and maybe one for ACs as well. If I recall his explanation correctly, you can just modify the values and the engine is fine with displaying however many projectiles you tell it to.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eej posted:

Ain't that the truth, when Mechwarrior: Living Legends first came out, all I would do was wait to ambush enemy mechs in a Demolisher and leg them. The amount of pubbie rage and tears was incredible, so many people would scream at me for being "dishonorable." That was fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Being a BA with a support PPC was hilarious in MWLL

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

Being a BA with a support PPC was hilarious in MWLL

We call them heroes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I guess some people want to be the SRM Carrier in that Cohh clip

I mean, kinda? Is that something that a 'mech could reasonably pull off, or would it just be way too much heat? Is that many missiles strictly LRM territory?

Zaodai posted:

As for the multi-shot vs single shot, I think Amechwearrior has a gif somewhere of him modifying an LRM to fire 40 half-damage shots instead of 20 full damage shots, and maybe one for ACs as well. If I recall his explanation correctly, you can just modify the values and the engine is fine with displaying however many projectiles you tell it to.

:bisonyes: I mean, that might make things a little unbalanced (more missiles means more crits and more potential head hits), but I'm totally doing this if it's an option on release.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dramicus posted:

The only thing better than piloting giant robutts is blowing up giant robutts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tanks cannot punch poo poo. Tanks cannot stomp poo poo. Therefore, tanks are bad and deserve to be stomped on by things that can stomp.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Mechs have to devote a significant portion of overall mass to legged propulsion. Mechs are really big and easier to hit. Mechs are expensive.
Tanks are powered by the humble internal combustion engine, and so can devote a significant portion of overall mass to armament most mechs could never have. Tanks are also much, much cheaper which makes them superior weapons platforms.

But really, I just like taking mechwarriors down a peg with those 'lovely' and 'inferior' vehicles. Surprise motherfucker, I have more guns than you :black101:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

The only thing better than piloting giant robutts is blowing up giant robutts.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Tanks cannot punch poo poo. Tanks cannot stomp poo poo. Therefore, tanks are bad and deserve to be stomped on by things that can stomp.
People should play more Brigador in the lead up to HBS battletech if you want to play tanks running over mechs. Rear armor damage via beep beep tank police comin through.

They should also play more Brigador to step on tanks with robots.

Or hover over the ground too pedestrian for your blood, except to momentarily bellyflop onto power suits like the ants they are.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, kinda? Is that something that a 'mech could reasonably pull off, or would it just be way too much heat? Is that many missiles strictly LRM territory?

At least in HBS Battletech hardpoints prevent you from doing really dumb stuff with SRMs, otherwise yeah you could actually have 10 SRM4's and a bunch of heatsinks on an Atlas.

It remains to be seen if it stays that way but LRMs got a huge reduction in their heat output so if you really want to fire 40+ missiles at the same time without your mech just straight exploding that appears to be possible

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Section Z posted:

People should play more Brigador in the lead up to HBS battletech if you want to play tanks running over mechs. Rear armor damage via beep beep tank police comin through.

They should also play more Brigador to step on tanks with robots.

Or hover over the ground too pedestrian for your blood, except to momentarily bellyflop onto power suits like the ants they are.

This was my takeaway too. I'm a mech guy but hot drat if Brigador didn't make me love playing tanks or hovercraft in a setting where all three are used. Sure, punching or kicking your way through cover is pretty cool, but ramming straight on through an apartment complex without losing speed has a certain appeal to it- not to mention crushing an entire squad of infantry under your belly in an a-grav.

If you're waiting for Battletech and are like "gently caress what do I play" go play Brigador It's hella fun, looks awesome, clearly has some classic Battletech in its heritage, and the developers are active goons. Gameplay is really different to Battletech but it's great.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

This was my takeaway too. I'm a mech guy but hot drat if Brigador didn't make me love playing tanks or hovercraft in a setting where all three are used. Sure, punching or kicking your way through cover is pretty cool, but ramming straight on through an apartment complex without losing speed has a certain appeal to it- not to mention crushing an entire squad of infantry under your belly in an a-grav.

If you're waiting for Battletech and are like "gently caress what do I play" go play Brigador It's hella fun, looks awesome, clearly has some classic Battletech in its heritage, and the developers are active goons. Gameplay is really different to Battletech but it's great.
Hey kid, what's wrong?

"I miss LBX autocannons! Where can I get robots with giant shotguns now?"

Well have you tried, the Kraken™

"Gee mister, what's a Kraken?"

Somebody decided cramming eight depleted uranium rods into a sabot round for a giant semi-automatic shotgun was a good idea!

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

hooman posted:

The only contracts requiring less than 5 years experience are unpaid internships!

Bernie Clanners: 3020

Remember that they are pilots. You can make them pay you to work, as opposed to just working for free.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Having been playing MekHQ a bunch, I think my biggest issue with vehicles is how frail their internals are. Its no comparison. A 60 ton vehicle has a total internals of 24, spread evenly between 4 sections. so 6 internals each section. Losing one section typically destroys the tank. A 60 ton mech has 20 internals in the center torso alone, and keeps living as long as the head, center torso and one leg are active, barring engine crit/gyro kills. A mech might spend a lot of weight on walking propulsion, but the durability difference is nuts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

winterwerefox posted:

Having been playing MekHQ a bunch, I think my biggest issue with vehicles is how frail their internals are. Its no comparison. A 60 ton vehicle has a total internals of 24, spread evenly between 4 sections. so 6 internals each section. Losing one section typically destroys the tank. A 60 ton mech has 20 internals in the center torso alone, and keeps living as long as the head, center torso and one leg are active, barring engine crit/gyro kills. A mech might spend a lot of weight on walking propulsion, but the durability difference is nuts.

Tanks also have horrible crit tables that make it so armor penetrations have an extremely good chance to ruin their loving lives whereas a mech is generally operable for quite some time after having one or more locations laid open provided you don't eat a CASE-less ammo explosion or get cored. Even well-armored tanks have horrible problems with through-armor crits for this reason. Hell yeah I'm a 3/5 assault tank with a billion guns and 50 frontal armor! *LBX pellet tags ammo bin through armor, tank turns into giant fireball*

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Everything being said, It would be cool if tanks and other vehicles played a role in the early game where you can barely afford one lovely light mech and are forced to make up the difference with other vehicles and perhaps power-armored infantry. I have fond memories of the clix game and supporting my one good mech with whatever other trash I could scrape together.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 9, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What there need to be is a Galaxy Truckers style Multiplayer mode where you build your mechs realtime from a pile of random components, and once it's in it's in. You got a PPC but didn't draft any heat sinks, whoops.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Aramoro posted:

What there need to be is a Galaxy Truckers style Multiplayer mode where you build your mechs realtime from a pile of random components, and once it's in it's in. You got a PPC but didn't draft any heat sinks, whoops.

If you can get an external application to start a custom match and upload the results somewhere, all of this is entirely doable. I mean, it would still take a couple of people a couple of months to code the drat thing, and you'd have to make some sort of cheat prevention, but it's possible to do.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tanks do not need heat sinks at all for ballistic or missile weapons, which is why they make great "ALL THE MISSILES" platforms. They also are able to have say a 15 ton ammo bin that still only takes up one slot because of their build rules, which makes things like a clan "maximum dishonor" lrm tank with 12 LRM 20s, 20 tons of armor, and plenty of ammo possible. A mech would never come close to having enough space for that.

The crit problem still applies though, vee's are crazy easy to immobilize vs Mechs, unless you spend a ton of extra weight on armored motive systems.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A Good Opinion.

Kanos posted:

*LBX pellet tags ammo bin through armor, tank turns into giant fireball*
battletech.txt

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

How Disgusting posted:

If you can get an external application to start a custom match and upload the results somewhere, all of this is entirely doable. I mean, it would still take a couple of people a couple of months to code the drat thing, and you'd have to make some sort of cheat prevention, but it's possible to do.

Assuming they have a decent API, aren't garbage programmers, and I don't have to do any games programming then it is theoretically in my wheel house so to speak. We'll need to see what it's like for doing that sort of thing when it comes out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dramicus posted:

Everything being said, It would be cool if tanks and other vehicles played a role in the early game where you can barely afford one lovely light mech and are forced to make up the difference with other vehicles and perhaps power-armored infantry. I have fond memories of the clix game and supporting my one good mech with whatever other trash I could scrape together.

It's too early in-universe for power armored infantry. They're a big nasty surprise when the clans show up in about 25 years.

In this era you're looking at unarmored infantry shooting what amounts to RPG.

They. . . don't fare well against mechs, usually.

:kheldragar:

edit: that said "you're a broke assed, backwater garrison, how do you take down that lance of pirate light mechs with two half-broken saracens and a few squads of light infantry" is a super classic BT scenario, in both TT and the books.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dramicus posted:

There are no power armored infantry at this point. Just jump troopers.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Although even 3025 low tier infantry is a nightmare in a city if I remember it right. Yeah sure their guns aren't that powerful, but if they're sitting in a bunker or tough building they can plink away forever and that adds up. Plus, swarm attacks are murder on mechs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dramicus posted:

I like the idea of being able to hire a few tanks if you are short a mech.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DatonKallandor posted:

Although even 3025 low tier infantry is a nightmare in a city if I remember it right. Yeah sure their guns aren't that powerful, but if they're sitting in a bunker or tough building they can plink away forever and that adds up. Plus, swarm attacks are murder on mechs.

i'm sure you know as well as i that "good in a city" is a backhanded way of saying "bad" in battletech

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:bisonyes: I mean, that might make things a little unbalanced (more missiles means more crits and more potential head hits), but I'm totally doing this if it's an option on release.
It doesnt change the damage or anything, it is simply visual.

edit: like....if you mod the AC/20 to fire a stream of bullets for 30 seconds, it is still only one instance of 20 damage being applied and thus only one crit chance would occur.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Although it's pretty simple to connect certain visuals to certain + weapon effects. Making the multi-projectile ACs the increased crit chance ones for example.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

i'm sure you know as well as i that "good in a city" is a backhanded way of saying "bad" in battletech

"for added close range punch"

standard infantry works well when they can park on an objective where terrain limits the angles they can be attacked from, but anything that requires them to move without a dedicated transport is asking for trouble (as is asking them to embark or disembark under fire)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I'm sad it doesn't look like HBS managed to put in a fully urban biome.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Jump infantry swarm over a pirate locust in my MekHQ game.

Rifle attack

TAC on machinegun ammo

Entire platoon dies in ammo explosion

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Success!

Probably cheaper than SRM reloads for a light vehicle.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Doubt it. Professional jump infantry are not cheap.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Hose out the armor, pick up the guns, pass em on to the poor next sap.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It doesnt change the damage or anything, it is simply visual.

edit: like....if you mod the AC/20 to fire a stream of bullets for 30 seconds, it is still only one instance of 20 damage being applied and thus only one crit chance would occur.

Maybe I'm confused, don't LRMs hit in different locations? Isn't that the entire point of missiles, critseeking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Maybe I'm confused, don't LRMs hit in different locations? Isn't that the entire point of missiles, critseeking?

Missiles, yea, sure.

The weapon settings are such that you can pick how many clusters of how much damage you want it to do, and there are also visual settings for how many shots to fire.