Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
So is there a guide someone with optimized loadout suggestions for all the different mechs like one can find for soldiers in XCOM? It's really useful to have a good baseline to build off of. I've searched around a bit and didn't find much. I guess there is less 3rd part support because it's a smaller game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's easier to follow general rules rather than have optimized loadouts for each individual chassis.

:words:

This is all awesome, you're awesome. Thanks.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Is there a tier list somewhere that shows which mechs are the best given their hardpoints and the other stats for those of us that do not have them all memorized? I basically want to know which mechs I should be buying salvage parts of and which ones I should be selling throughout the campaign.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
It strikes me that there are actually three relevant tiers here: mechs you should go out of your way to buy/acquire (top tier), mechs you should build and use if you acquire the pieces (mid tier), and mechs you should sell whenever you get the chance (bottom tier). Since there is significant variation across model #s for the same kind of mech, I would assume that different models would fall in different tiers.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Here is something I don't quite understand about the early stages of the campaign: is there any reason to push through the story missions? Does the number of days passing matter so long as I'm not out of money? Because I'm trying to balance between moving along and actually refitting my stock mechs into something usable.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What are good builds for FS9-H and JR7-D?

From what I've read people are saying 2SL + 4MG for the FS9-H. What is the playstyle with that? Just use your mobility to keep high evasion + close shots in the back? I tried doing 2+ MLs but I was roasting my pilot alive, so I guess I need to focus more on support weapons?

For the JR7-D, I am having a similar problem. It runs so hot that it has to sit for 2+ rounds after firing everything. Should I be building it with 3-4 mls? If so, what is the playstyle so I don't roast my pilots?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If I'm following the usual ML + SRM builds is there anything I can do to improve my ability to snipe out the legs of a mech I want 3 salvage from? Calling a precision shot from a 5ML++ mech does like 1/3 of the leg HP (in part because the hit chance is always like 18%), which means it takes a ton of rounds to accomplish, accumulating damage on my mechs and risking destroying the CT on the target mech.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Conspiratiorist posted:

Precision Strike the leg from the side with a Called Shot Master pilot for a 89.2% chance to hit.

Holy crap. I finally got Dekker to 9 in tactics. I never realized that tactics improved precision strike so much. I figured improvements this big would have been special skills or something. Dekker is in my 6ML black knight and he's coreing out CTs left and right in a single shot on all these light mechs. I never realized how strong that was.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
What is the best use for an Orion 1-V? I just got one as my 3rd heavy and everyone says its really good, but it seems pretty versatile so I'm not sure what to make of it. My gut says make it a brawler with mlas + srms, or go for an ac/20 meme build. But maybe its my first LRM boat or a sniper?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

sean10mm posted:

It's hard to make a bad V without being willfully dense. Stock armor is low compared to the K variant for a brawler but you can always just... armor it back up.

Yeah, right now I'm running it as a 3xSRM6 + 2xML boat with high armor and 4 jump jets, but its dmg output is a bit meh. This build is identical to my CN9-A just with more armor. Less of an upgrade to my lance than I was expecting.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Wow, a campaign mission just gives you a free highlander + a bunch of assault salvage. Was not expecting that. I can see now that the campaign is the easy mode introduction to the game and career mode must be the main mode because this is just silly.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Conspiratiorist posted:

If your alpha strike [heat generated - heat dissipated] is less than 12, your mech is likely too cold. If it's higher than 21, it's likely too hot.

I was re-reading your great post on build rules. They all made sense to be but this one. I absolutely hate having to spend a turn doing nothing but jumping + guarding to vent heat, so I've been building my mechs at least heat neutral and mostly with a bit of a heat deficit (if possible) to compensate for the heat from jumping. Can you tell me why being heat neutral is a bad thing? It sounds like more damage over time compared to running hot if you add it up across 10-15 rounds since you never have a down round.

EDIT: Min-maxing games like this is how I have fun with them. So, that's the perspective I'm usually coming from when asking about mechanics or builds.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 29, 2019

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Emong posted:

If you have more guns you can always turn off a couple to run heat neutral and still be able to get a big alpha when you need it.

Ok, this does make some sense. So the basic idea is have heat neutral set of weapons with a couple free tons, then throw on a couple MLs or an SRM that you can optionally fire if it's worth the heat debt?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Organ Fiend posted:

The heat bar is a mana bar. Heat sinks give you extra pips of mana regen. If you're keeping your mana bar at full all the time, you're not using your full potential as a mage mechwarrior.

Oh wow, that actually really helped me to reconceptualize heat. Because you get CCed when you overheat (unlike most mana systems where nothing happens), I was looking at it as something to avoid generating. But thinking about it like mana (or like life in MTG) helps understand why you should run hot and use the 'free' heat available under the overheat threshold. It also shows why increasing your overheat threshold is good: it expands your maximum mana pool.

Also, thank you Conspiratiorist for you very detailed explanation with the example. Really helped hammer it in. Makes a lot of sense. I look forward to seeing how my updated builds fare.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Lazyhound posted:

I reinstalled Roguetech and as much as I want to love it, the AI is unbelievably slow now for some reason, like I literally got up and made a sandwich while waiting for my turn to come back around.

I love it. Yes, it is slow as poo poo. All loading times are forever, AI turns are forever, I sometimes just alt-tab if there is a whole base worth of turrets that still need to go at the end of a turn. That said, those are costs I am willing to pay for all the new weapons, mechs, and equipment. The online map is also pretty cool and a clever way to turn a single-player game into multiplayer. The mod is currently my favorite game and the more I play it the higher it climbs my all-time list. I'd love for Battletech 2 to be made in the image of RogueTech (but with performance optimizations since HBS controls the internals of the game).

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 12, 2021

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Psycho Landlord posted:

I on the other hand fervently hope for not that

Why would you want fewer weapon types, fewer mechs, and fewer ways to customize your equipment on your mechs? That sounds... insane. Unless there is something else about RogueTech you fervently hope to avoid?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hook us up with some info on your current lance. I haven't made it to superheavies yet this season, so I am curious what people are running. Last season I was doing jump jet railgun assaults, but that got nerfed. So far I'm mostly running risc hags.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Probably a controversial opinion, but I wouldn't play this game without RogueTech, or at least Battletech Advanced, installed.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
They turned core meltdowns back on so watch out if you're going to be critting engines from melee range.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The SH missions with tanks are the best ever. The parts are worth so much cash. I reroll my SH missions until I get a random SH tank to spawn. You get 20 million cbills for selling a completed SH tank. Still haven't gotten the Peer Review mission to spawn yet, but I'm gonna have to track it down. If you're having trouble with SH missions start spamming double longtom KGCs.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ygolonac posted:

Mt LT is stuck in a Helepolis, and while I have dual-ballistic platforms that'll haul a pair, I honestly don't have enough ammo to feed two. (I also max armor as best I can, between counterbattery and OH poo poo SHARED SPAWN and having to kick enemies to death on the first turn.)

Here is the basic build I use for my artillery:

Although recently I dropped 1 heatsink for an extra box of normal ammo for the SH missions where things go past 10 rounds.

I run two of them and might build a 3rd. I find having 3-4 indirect mechs + 4 jumpy mechs gives me long reach, fast clear speeds, and low repairs. The only direct mech without JJs that I occasionally run is my railgun hyperion.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My approach to solo duels now is just to just long tom them into submission with one of my krabs without them ever moving. Yes, it takes a bit of the sport out of the duel, but it keeps the repair bills low.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Because it's fun! Except for battle armor. I hate battle armor.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ygolonac posted:

Roger Tech's latest updates have open the salt mines again - recoil-induced knockdown. Heavy ballistic weapons (artillery, RACs/HGRs/railguns) can knock down the firing mech if not braced before firing or otherwise mitigated. Dual-arty non-superheavies are the most affected, I expect... I know mine are. :cry: Oh wait, my arty acts as *arty*, and parks until it absolutely has to move, never mind...

The BA garrison sounds hilarious as well, not sure about the resupply/repair stuff. I'd have to give up offensive power both to field the vehicle, and while it's being resupplied it's not shooting.

Someone also posted their build for a Hunchback packing a Long Tom (arty, not cannon) and full armor, which made me giggle. Only three tons of ammo, but LT blapping has a big AoE... sorry about your reinforcement drop, bro.

Sounds like the Dreadnought gyro is getting nerfed soon, as well - might be a Savebreak thing.

Buuuut, with the new knockdown mechanic, I want to retry A Beautiful Day again - be nice to see those RACZillas/Thumperillas faw down go bleedout after shooting at me. (Of course, I have to *survive* all that to enjoy the pratfall.)

Sounds like this will absolutely wreck the meta from last season.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ygolonac posted:

Roger Tech update - THE SAVEBREAK HAS LANDED

(Changelog with working links here.)(Updated launcher required, as well.)

Wow this is a huge set of changes. I might have to reinstall to try it out.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

McGavin posted:

No, Bulwark is still mandatory. There are new weapons that can be more efficient than SRMs though.

Yeah, Bulwark is so OP that the overhaul mods removed it. Definitely use it if you're playing the base game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
My first mission of this season I was on a half skull mission and it turns out a wraith BA was in the opfor. It healed more each round with its harjel than my lovely starting mechs could dish out. So after 30 rounds, I just ctrl-alt-deleted my way out of there and started over. Luckily my second start is going better. I do hate that stuff like that is even possible in this game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Oh I know. I'm just an RT bitter vet who thinks the game was better before they added BA and protomechs. Pretty sure I beat Peer Review last season. I spent the end of the season farming superheavy missions back to back because there was no cooldown timer on them. Looks like they added a 50-100 day cooldown now. Another case of the team making the game less fun. Like I said, bitter vet.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Playing RogueTech again. New season is pretty fun. Big overhauls to artillery and stuff. If you're new to the mod I highly recommend going generous salvage and generous payments, ignoring the difficulty modifier, and just having fun building stupid stuff. But you probably do want to play on the online map, ally with a faction, and register with the discord so that you can use the online shops as they massively ease the difficulty curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
If you ever thought to yourself "Huh, I wonder how electronic warfare works in RogueTech" then I am happy to report that you can now indulge your curiosity here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1A-ZdiJUAuVAji18XTO1uh-AYxfHnpY16yATPp0ctHZk/. Someone in the discord was nice enough to put this together. I definitely learned some stuff from it.