Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think I have learned, after using a locust early, that anyone I put in a locust is going to die unless God himself decides they're only going to get horribly mangled.

Even the Spider is not this dangerous. I do not know how Dekker has survived his Trial By Locust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Taerkar posted:

Scrapping a mech for c-bills isn't as profitable as putting it in storage and then selling it.

At the same time being scrapped is the only ethical thing to do with a Locust, lest someone else have to drive it some day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DiHK posted:

So , that Medusa... got some Christian Bale Batman vibes on him.

Best glitch line tonight is "No problem, I've got enough guns for everyone!"

God I love her.

"You get a headshot, and you get a headshot, and you get a headshot!" she says, as she headshots Grim Sybil and gets me a quickdraw.

This woman is going to get shot in the face at some point and I will be sad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clantech is insanely boring, though. It's just exactly what you already have, but at less weight and more range.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Liquid Communism posted:

It's cool looking, though, and the storylines are neat.

Yeah, I came around a lot on the Clanners as an enemy, I just wish their gear wasn't so dull.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing good about Spiders.

I dump that thing for the real hotness: Jenners.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Saddest Robot posted:

I've heard stories about how some die-hard clan players would just ignore all the rules specifying how the Clan are supposed to pick targets and act and how pissed they would get if they lost too - to the point where the store owner or convention runners had to asked/tell the clan player to leave.

That's extremely setting-accurate to Clanners, at least, being an entire army of sore losers who declare anything that beats them cheating.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Or maybe make DHS only work for one or two turns before reverting to Regular Heat Sinks. Your enemy should be defeated in two salvos, right? You're the perfect clanner.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I gave the Quickdraw as many lasers and SRMs as I could and then named it Big Ted and that seems to have worked out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Draynar posted:

How do we name our mechs!

Click on the mech name during refit and you can do things like name your Centurion Missile King so you know his job is to be king of missiles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bussamove posted:

My Behemoth got gacked on my recover the Argo mission. :( But I am steadfastly holding on to Glitch and her loving adorable voice clips so all is well.

I don't think I would like Glitch so much if she wasn't also a stone cold killing machine. It's the contrast that makes it work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tae posted:

I have absolutely no background in Battletech, how complicated is the game if I'm experienced in modern XCom and Front Mission?

I've just been using the default loadouts and spamming easy missions for cash so far.

If you've played Front Mission and are playing this to fill the Wanzer-shaped hole in your heart like me it'll be fine.

I mean I also like Battletech.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course I headcap an Enforcer and capture a Kintaro on a mission where I didn't ask for loving salvage rights.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

SRM carriers crack me up. "Surely he must be out of rockets now. He's been firing for full seconds. Nope, still more rockets. It's like a clown car for explosions."

Your error, much like the error of those facing my Kintaro, is believing there could ever be an end to missiles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, what should I do with an Enforcer? I have mine set up with an AC5, a LL++, and a shitload of mediums and it seems to do okay but I can't help but feel I could do something cooler.

I notice I could fit multiple PPCs on it if I was stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, is heat a 0-100 scale? This will strongly affect my plan to put 3 PPCs on an Enforcer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As Medusa gets up from being knocked down, he grumbles into the comms: "Why the hell do these things have legs..." and instantly I kind of care about not getting him killed. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Great Beer posted:

I'm enjoying the space game of thrones story.

Game of Thrones would be so much better if it was about giant robots punching each other.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, what's bugged with armor?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

If I want to inflict BattleTech fiction on myself because this game is occupying my every waking thought, what are the least terrible novels to get? Bonus points for a similar period in the timeline as the game.

Go read the BT LP thread over in LP, by PopTartsNinja.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game needs like 200% more urbanmechs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arrath posted:

Good god does the Hunchback mount like 8 ML's? One ran right into my face and let lose with a disco light show.

Hunchbacks either have a giant fuckoff deathcannon or laser night at the disco.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How are people getting headshot so constantly.

The only person who gets dinged all the goddamn time for me is my main character. She's had like 8 injuries to most peoples 0-1.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Is there any way to punch out a mechwarrior in a mission? Not quit the mission but get a single guy out. Like my main dude had 2 CT left on his blackjack with no sides anymore and was basically useless Except for maybe a DFA... He died next shot and that 94 days out is just painful.

Yeah, there's a red button somewhere on their portrait that'll make them eject, destroying the head of their mech and taking them out of the fight but they'll be safe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How hard is it to write a simple, basic backstory for your backer character rather than...whatever we got from the backer characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You're getting shot at with the kind of weapons designed to punch through a 60 ton robot. That's how you're getting hurt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the 'absolutely definitely not a spy' Comstar Adept I hired for his massive tactics skill and chill brooklyn ways.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

anyone else stop giving mechs serious business names like "LRM JAEGER" or "DUAL PPC CATAPULT" and start giving them proper nicknames?

anyway im at work, not playing the game, and yeah

My current lance is Disco Stu (Enforcer loaded with lasers), Missile King (LRM Centurion), Van Wizard (Kintaro with SRMs), and Big Ted (Lone, sad quickdraw I know I shouldn't be using but I like his nickname).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The reason everyone uses the mechs is because they are loving awesome and everything else is just a handwave to make it slightly more plausible that everyone is running around punching each other in giant robits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know how you have to actually make tradeoffs and make choices when designing your mechs in the game now?

The Clans basically remove that aspect of the game.

Like, their fluff is fine. They're dumb weirdos but they're dumb weirdos in an entertaining way and BT is all about dumb weirdos, anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BULBASAUR posted:

Ah ok. So they broke the balance entirely and didn't even make it interesting.

I'd be really excited to see a redo of the Clans if they took another stab at like, ways to make their tech scary and impressive besides 'It's faster than you, better armored, outranges you, has a better pilot, and generates no heat.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gridlocked posted:

Wait wait is there a way to give them actual nicknames?

Yeah, during Refit if you click on the mech name you can rename that mech.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm going to miss my Enforcer once I outgrow it. I like this silly mech.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I made the Enforcer the sole medium of my sandbox and I actually quite like the thing, hell, I'm still running it stock. There are times I wish I had more AC/10 ammo though, but you just gotta be picky with your shots.

Still, its earned me a few mechs by slicing open cockpits with that large laser.

If you want a good time with Enforcers, pull off the LL and put 5 Medium Lasers on it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I don't think my Enforcer, Kintaro, Catapult PPC model, and LRM-Centurion lance could have handled a pair of heavies, a full medium lance, and vehicle support without the various edges you get.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Battlemaster seems a little underwhelming for an Assault.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I was just hoping I could get 2xAC20s onto it like you apparently can some other assaults. Time to embrace the laser boat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Urbanmechs are the very definition of not good.

They are, however, awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In TT you get a piloting test to avoid damage from falling, but falling also hurts your mech and standing up is harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

None of your pilots are irreplaceable. Even your PC isn't special, just destined to always narrowly survive.