Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

And I base this solely on aesthetics.

Confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I have always hated how the Marauder looks and I'm glad that particular version of it no longer exists as far as BattleTech is concerned.

You disgust me Strobe, good in the x-wing thread, bad in the battletech thread :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Just so we're all on the same page, I mean this one, which is cool and good, and not this hideous beast.

Isn't the second one the Marauder IIC or something? Idk. I thought you were talking about the original Marauder like in the gif. That and the new marauder in your first link are both good and cool.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I also dislike the Marauder in the gif.

lol, just lol. I thought you were cool friend.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

At any point in the battletech fluff did they ever explain what happened when Kell dueled with Yorinaga? Did he somehow have a null system installed in his Archer? How did Yorinaga repeatedly miss at point blank range while Kell was standing still? The whole thing never made sense to me.

The power of honourable sudoku.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Every crowd funded game is a scam, obviously.

Star Citizen broke kickstarter people imo.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Beta would be amazing if they used MechCommander placeholder voices.

Just put Rooster in the game, no explanation.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Robots are cool thats why they are in battletech hth friends.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

same

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

Friday is RDO and Monday is a public holiday here. :v:

4 day weekend of stomping robots, the finest kind of long weekend

loling at western australia day.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Goddamn is this game fun as hell. Yeah I'll mirror the point that PPCs are kinda garbage even with some precision shot bonuses but man is it satisfying to just slam a griffin in the back with an ac20 salvo.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Alright, so there needs to be some more explination in the game. I have a treb who has LOS, the game says they have LOS, but I can't shoot, I have no idea why, but it'll let me move, it'll give the red line to shoot, it'll give me the hotkey to shoot, but when I go to shoot it wont bring up the shooting dialogue.

Is it a straight red line or an arcing red line? If its an arcing red line that means only indirect fire can take a shot (i.e. LRMs) and it will need someone else to spot for you (any other mech with a LOS to the target).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Hopefully, as of right now I feel actively discouraged from running light mechs in front of assualts. I'm doing the top end battle with the default loadout that has an atlas, an orion, a panther and a commando and running my lights in front just gets them spotted and killed.

Yeah you absolutely should not send the lights up front, they need to fan out on the side far away and some in when the shits started flying.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Can you move to a certain spot and melee, I cant seem to do that without just going closest to closest.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

isildur posted:

My sense of the AI's issue is that it doesn't really know how to operate a lance as a single unit. It can do the smart thing with any given single mech, but it won't (for instance) try to keep its lance together to provide support for each other.

Make sure you fill out the response survey when you get the AI page. Our priorities between now and launch for the combat game are going to be largely driven by the survey results.

Oh thats nice to know, I mean the game itself is fun but there is definitely all those little niggling quality of life issues like that. Is there any key words I can put in to go 'hey have this do this' or attach a link to PTN's very nice screenshot for adding the potential status effects a mech you're shooting at might have?

Other than ones listed here the only big thing I find annoying is when you a picking a mech for skirmish I want to just have a list of weapons on a mech underneath the description to show what im grabbing (preferably with a location name in brackets next to it e.g. Medium Laser (LT))

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. I smell a lostech cache or plot device.

Yeah they've always said that some lostech is going to be bouncing around in the game as a very rare loot type thing and setting up a cache to give you your first assault and/or something special is a pretty key checkbox for 'hero protaganist mercenary company' to run across. I would also expect ER LL and maybe even ER PPCs to show up as they are other weapons of the same lostech time loss that don't need to introduce unique mechanics like LBX (ammo switching) or whatever they might decide for Ultra Autocannons.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

loving Gauss rifles? YES!

You can already rig them on your mechs by editing config files. Someone posted the jaegermech with like 12 gauss wiping out a lance of atlases or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I am reasonably sure this is incorrect, but I may also be remembering TRO:3025 fluff which is really not a good thing to be determining what's 'correct' or not. There's this random fun-fact type thing bouncing around in my head that the CC had almost as many Highlanders as Catapults immediately after the 4SW. That may be more of a commentary on the state of the CCAF post-4SW than the number of Highlanders.

Well after the 4SW the cappies couldnt make anything heavier than a Vindicator so I'm not sure how much that means. Also Gray's Death Legion had a Highlander in it aswell. The accurate description is always 'there are only a handful of these floating around at the moment not a specific number' when it comes to the out of production mechs. Plus there is literally an unlimited number of undiscovered star league weapon caches and potentially family heirloom mechs of star league origin if the game is set in a Periphery state. You know the region that had the most star league mechs lost in combat as they all made the periphery join the star league by force.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on the mech. By 3025 the Jenner was out of production but the Combine had so loving many floating around that they were still really common. It was one of those ones people had an eye on as being the next batch of lostech once attrition started getting the better of them, though.

I'm specifically referring to the 'theres only 2 highlanders left' and saying 'theres actually a handful of highlanders left'.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

what is The Best Mech and what is The Worst Mech

In table top for this time period the best optimal mech is probably the Hunchback 4P (the medium laser boat hunchback) because the medium laser was just so clearly the most optimal damage to heat weapon in the game. The worst in tabletop is probably something like the jaegermech because its just a giant ball of ammo with zero loving armour and piss poor firepower because of the garbage that is autocannons.

In the game so far, going absolute cost for cost I'm thinking the Awesome 8Q is probably the worst outside of very specific circumstances because of how under performing the PPCs are and how much the mech struggles with their heat on top. In terms of actual best mech I'm leaning towards either the Trebutchet or Catapult due mostly to how fantastic LRMs are at the moment. Both are solid mechs that are a pain to deal with and the Catapult jump jetting away is fantastically mobile on top of having some frustrating close combat firepower.

Skoll posted:

Protomechs were baaaad.

I feel everything after 3040 was a mistake.

People hating protomechs is super bizzarre. Like if you think they look dumb I guess that makes sense but they were goddamn nuts in tabletop due to their miss chance thing. They were really great as crazy movement blocker mechs that did the swarm of bees cutting down a bear type of combat that Battle Armour was originally designed to do but in reality they were just use for area denial or protecting your long range mechs rather than actually trying to swarm something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress anything post-3030. The tech change up made TT a lot worse in a lot of ways.

I've got a personal soft spot for the Marauder, even though I recognize some of the problems it has. The Awesome was arguably the best stock design with Third SW tech.

This just screams to me that people never touched jihad era TT play because holy poo poo is 3025 table top the slowest and most uninteresting poo poo imaginable. Nothing hits, everything takes like a million turns because you have no firepower and it hinges even harder on lucky hits just decimating everything. Jihad era turns the game into a maneuver fest which I guess can be a bit of a turnoff but because everything has a much higher baseline of firepower its way less of a game changer to get a lucky hit taking someone out because its the difference between 6 turns of firing or 2-3 to kill the same target. On top of that due to the really fancy set up and stock mechs the IS has gotten by that point they actually outperform Clan mechs if you're using BV (and assuming your not playing on some super huge map). The game turns into a really interesting jockeying back and forth for those range brackets but for the most part every mech has a gun that can at least fire across the map even if its just for symbolic damage.

Melee is loving terrifying thanks to TSM (and mounting melee weapons on far more mechs) and because of the overloading of firepower the Jihad era mechs fall back into 3025 issues of heat management. I think someone brought up the Stalker earlier as a classic example as it mounts 1 Heavy Gauss Rifle, 2 ER PPCs and 4 medium pulse lasers with the heat to fire the ppcs or the pulse lasers. Its a very clear cut bracket build where you still want to be firing everything if you get the chance. The only real frustrating mechanic is WOB C3 targetting but with the abundance of LBX and pulse weapons it just makes the light fights become so much more important.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

in living legends i think best was novacat and worst was osiris but they both show up way later in the timeline

i'm a personal big fan of the hollander and the fafnir because nothing hits the military industrial complex note just like "let's take the biggest possible gun we can manufacture or find, put legs on it, and nothing else" and "hey you know that even bigger gun we developed, well lets take two of them, and then lets put legs on it"

The Fafnir is the peak steiner battlemech and I hope the battletech game gets enough expansions to push the timeline to the point this kind of gear is showing up.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Word. The Jihad was the point where I finally put it down for good and just played the odd computer game. It was just such an obvious attempt to do a reset on the universe and get back to the "dark ages perpetual feudal warfare" vibe which made it cool to begin with, but they did it in the worst possible way that just invalidated so much of what had been going on before.

It was mostly a clusterfuck (same with the FedCom Civil war) because they had planned their religious terrorist plotline to kick off December 2001 so everything fell apart as they had to abruptly hold off on it and keep the FedCom civil war stuff plowing ahead. So its one of those thing where yeah its all a loving mess but I can't really be upset at anyone or blame anyone for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Sadly the clans are waaaaay to popular for anyone who wants to make money to ever even remotely consider wiping them from the timeline.

Plus they are absolutely the epitome of 'RPG/Videogame enemy' so they are super handy to have show up and outclass you in every way as you slowly catch up to them. Kinda like....XCOM

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Davis McCall or whatever his name was literally manufactured his Highlander himself after getting the info from the memory core according to fluff.

His entire character was to show up and have his mech blow up before the story ends. He started out in a Rifleman or something I can't even remember.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Less than five. Lethal Heritage (edit: the novel that introduced the Clans) was published in September 1989. They were teased as early as March 1989 with Wolves on the Border.

Right yeah and the Wolfs Dragoons were tied super deep into the start of the whole thing too. Man that makes it even more hilarious when people get upset at the clans. The second major plot arc the game even had was the clans and then setting was flooded with ground work for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if the second major plot arc upset the gameplay in a massive way and actively made it worse. I'd rather play Star League TRO stuff with the Reunification Wars, etc than any of the Clan Invasion garbage.

I mean the gameplay was always a mess until they set up BV, going tonnage as your balancing factor basically never worked.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Psion posted:

The Hauptmann has a laser cigar. How is that not peak Steiner?

This just reinforces why steiner is the best but its not peak steiner.

Strobe posted:

The Hollander II is peak Steiner, because it has exactly one big gently caress-off gun, that it can also fire while trying to move, knock itself over, deal enough damage to itself to breach its rear torso, and detonate the gun (and itself) in a massive explosion). Kind of like whenever Steiner tries to do something important.

I poo poo yeah I forgot about the HGR Hollander 2. Yeah you're right I concede.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 6, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

I'm looking forward to JohnnyLumps mod that makes the game longer, more customizable and arguably overly complicated- Succession War

And then watch Beagle abuse the gently caress out of FASCAM Arrow IV missiles.

Goddamn someone get beagle to play battletech in turbo hard mega tough campaign mode or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

GoLambo posted:

I'm glad I'm waiting for the official release because my decision to buy this game hinges exclusively on PPC's being good, and Warhammers being in it.

We're maybe partway there.

Warhammers are going to be in and I think everyone agrees PPCs need a bit of a damage buff so fingers crossed.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

Would making PPCs 60 damage do the trick? I've got some use out of them currently but it does seem like a single 50-damage weapon with a big heat impact can be pretty underwhelming.

Yeah just bump them up a little bit and see how it goes imo. It's just such a huuuge heat shock that it doesn't seem to provide much value as a weapon especially for the mechs built around them. A little up and we can re-evaluate the damage then is the best way to improve this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eldragon posted:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech

MC2 went open source.

Looks like its still getting updated. Played through the MC2 campaign via this mod a few years ago and it worked fine.

I downloaded this but it doesn't really run on windows 7, anything special beyond compatibility mode needed to get this running?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

I have only made four so far, I am still trying to track down WoL era avatars to use.

In order to install them you need to edit a .csv in the data directory, I need to see if there is a way to automate that or anyone wanting to install the pack will need to enter 30 odd new rows.

Please find my old bird with a bandanna avatar.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Section Z posted:

Ugh I keep trying to convince myself my brain is exaggerating about that sort of thing, and then nope this poo poo actually happens and I was just lying to myself in an attempt to feel less cynical.

Battletech 'fans' are constantly demonstrating themselves to be such an insane and bizarre obsessive group of people.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i hate everyone

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Austin Walker likes Battletech, so there's at least one okay dude who likes BT and isn't a SA poster.

:unsmith:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Unseen were mechs that were never given a model or appearance in sourcebooks outside of statistics and text, right?

And Reseen were the updated appearances created to fill that space, which had a contrasting art style?

Unseen were mechs that the art of were locked up in copyright hell because it was purchased in japan, but it was also sold to another company for Macross and the american rights holder of macross pushed legal control over that art in the US. So as a result those mechs had to be given new art and design to not conflict with copyright.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

How has Paradox been in lawsuits, if any?

I don't think so, the biggest issues they've had to deal with was that time a jewish streamer yelled 'Oh thank god for hitler' in a hearts of iron game (I hope this is a thing that actually happened).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

You guys won't be laughing when HBS gets shut down for their obvious copyright infringement.

same

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Thanks to Disney, copyright in the US lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years, 95 years since creation if made by a contracted artist, or possibly 120 years in some circumstances.

Almost all of modern copyright law exists and/or revolves around Disney's ability to keep Mickey Mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

Here are both parts of what I think is the best Red City play-through from PDXcon. Mitch clearly had been doing this multiple times before these two and does a much better job of explaining the various mechanics. The interviewer controlling the game is also a TT nerd and already gets the basics. The pure excitement he shows while playing is great. They run about an hour total. I think this interview should be one of the first things to show people who might be interested, but don't know anything about the franchise. Would make a great addition to the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1mzn0FyJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncJWeODv2M

A PCgaming article with Jordan also goes in to what they are trying to shoot for when talking about "The spirit of the game" they're trying to capture.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/battletech/battletech-rules

The yogs have a pretty huge audience so having their excitement and selling of the game is a pretty solid boon to HBS.