Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Black Knight was in a similar boat. It was dying the slow death of not being manufactured any more and damaged units being refurbed with standard tech.

I'm pretty sure two of the only Highlanders in existence before the Clan invasion were the ones that belonged to Rhonda Snord and Davis McCall. McCall didn't even get his until after they found the Helm core in 3028.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

what is The Best Mech and what is The Worst Mech

From a TT Standpoint? Nightstar.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Protomechs were baaaad.

I feel everything after 3040 was a mistake.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

This man got it wrong. If we end the timeline at 3040, we don't get the Piranha, the Alacorn, or the Yellowjacket.

(or the tarantula, or the scarabus, or the)

I'm all for just reformatting what happens after 3040. No Clan invasion, no Jihad, no FedCom Civil War, no Dark Ages.

Keep new poo poo gradually coming online but take it verrrrrrrrrry slow on tech changes. Make the IS fragment more all around so the eternal galactic war we all know and love keeps churning without bullshit trash born humanity with dumb rules and super mechs, and a faction of nutso religious fanatics dropping nukes on everything in an effort to kill off every lore thing long time players loved.

E: I always get the Hellstar and Nightstar confused but both are great mechs regardless.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

Right yeah and the Wolfs Dragoons were tied super deep into the start of the whole thing too. Man that makes it even more hilarious when people get upset at the clans. The second major plot arc the game even had was the clans and then setting was flooded with ground work for it.

Yeah, it's almost as if the second major plot arc upset the gameplay in a massive way and actively made it worse. I'd rather play Star League TRO stuff with the Reunification Wars, etc than any of the Clan Invasion garbage.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

I mean the gameplay was always a mess until they set up BV, going tonnage as your balancing factor basically never worked.

Look man, I have a pathological hatred of all things Clan and beyond. Don't ask me to rationalize it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Show us on this Centurion where the Clan player touched you.

*points to the mech butt*

They touched me right there, from the edge of the map with an ER Large Laser.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Hollander: a single Gauss Rifle. Not great, but not literally suicidal either.
Hollander II: a single Heavy Gauss Rifle. Literally suicidal in the most hilarious way possible.
Hollander III: actually good (and one of my favorite 'Mechs) and therefore kind of boring.

I liked the Pack Hunter.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

It would be pretty amazing for a BTech mercenary game to come along where mechs are actually rare. But that would mean most of your merc company is made up of tanks/aircraft/infantry, you don't get to salvage and keep anything you find, and players won't get to experience all the different mech types available.

Instead I'm sure we'll all end the campaign with more mechs in our hangars than what we know what to do with.

After the story ends, you can keep doing procedurally generated contracts and missions so I'm sure at some point there will be a use for everything.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Amechwarrior posted:

I actually Mechashiva'd

The Hunchback moved in for a Melee and took the same space as the Battlemaster to form the HUNCHMASTER. The Melee attack missed, the Orion fell over from pure fear. Guess I have to send a bug report.

PGI would ban you for this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For cheating in a different Battletech game on a different forum.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/8141?page=1

You can never make grogs happy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

There is a post on the official forums right now calling for the removal of the special pilot abilities in this game because only 'Lore Characters' should get special abilities.

Please link this.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That Kereminde dude is the biggest loving shitler on the HBS BT forums. He thinks he's some sort of big poo poo authority because he kisses mod rear end and writes worse pulp fanfics than the actual novels.

And gets lovely if you engage him in an argument and don't bow to his mighty post count.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

:stare: did he just say that unironically

Yes. Go through his post history if you dare, he's a lovely passive aggressive shitler. He's even more insufferable in the Battletech discord.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm guessing Skoll means the "official" Battletechgame discord. (Probably not official)

Yeah I meant the discord the HBS forum superstars set up.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Delete the launcher on the shoulder and that Warhammer isn't so bad.

The Marauder on the other hand is :barf:.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Viva Miriya posted:

you are full of bad opinions lmao

Hey, I think your mom not swallowing you was a bad opinion, but I don't follow your dumb "lol I was only trying to bait him" rear end thread to thread crying about it. I find it kinda funny you act smug in IRC about it but not the discord you're in with the person you have the issue with. :allears:

Skoll fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry you take a 35 year old boardgame seriously to the point of HOLY poo poo THAT MEME IS 100 PERCENT TRUE TO LIFE SERIOUS and then got mad about the resulting pile on over your overreaction. :shrug:

Whatever dude, continue being a butthurt grog.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cool.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I copied the game to my laptop and played it on that. I think I have maybe four hours total then got bored of bot skirmishes. I don't understand how some of you guys can play this over and over and over and over. It's fun, but without the complete game to play it in, gets boring kind of fast.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This game only sucks if you got your rear end kicked at Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics. Or even Advanced Wars.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's just HG looking for a handout.

I bet they saw the Marauder in the HBS beta and went, ":20bux:".

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i'm not an expert but isn't harmony gold's major claim to fame chopping up and frankensteining together a bunch of different japanese cartoons as a quick cash-in on the 80's toyetic craze along the lines of transformers and gi joe

That's basically the three seasons of Robotech, yes. Each one was a different anime.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Someone bought a Pacer sub and posted this on discord :

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

holy loly did they pick the entirely wrong mech to represent copyright infringement on the marauder? how the gently caress did they screw that up so bad

They literally just want a settlement. It's like a mob protection money so they probably don't give a gently caress.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/wawd/242820/1-0.html

If anyone wants to read the paperwork.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope :pgi: gets turbofucked. Harmony Gold might actually have something there.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously contemplating contacting HG and asking if I can contribute to their legal fund just to cause the HBS discord grogs mass aneurysms.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Enough apartments to warehouse the salt it will generate.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

PGI is a shitshow but lol if you don't think HG is worse. That's some serious cutting off your nose to spite your face poo poo.

Fucks given : 0.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, that's the standpoint of most sane people. Skoll's just mega salty about PGI being :pgi:

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's the correct impression to have but apparently this skoll guy is toy robot game Captain Ahab or something

e:fb

Neither of these are wrong.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
some mad grogs itt.

gonna donate to HG in all your names.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys won't be laughing when HBS gets shut down for their obvious copyright infringement.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't think the Atlas has ever been under dispute, it's never been one of the Unseen, has it?

Apparently the Judge is like in his 80s or some poo poo, so they could just be trying to do, "Look at how similar their robot is to our robot, surely you can tell the infringement at first glance.".

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I'm guessing that HG is hoping to make the case that the entire Battletech IP infringes, not just a few select designs. It's more a negotiating tactic for a settlement than a serious ploy to take ownership of the whole property. They just want money.

I mean it's obvious they want a quick settlement, but I think it's a little out of the realm of sanity that they'd think they could get it decided the entire Battletech IP is infringing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I think you've forgotten which dying internet comedy forum you're on.

We'll laugh no matter what the outcome is.

Nah, the Battletech ultra grogs are salty and can't tell a joke when it comes to their precious IP on these forums.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Is everything okay in your life? You are posting pretty hard in a slow thread about 'salty grogs' but you are by far the most invested person right now.

No. I have permanent sad brains and my liquor money is all gone.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

It's always amazing how every single wannabe troll is also an empath.

That's why I just flat out ignore Viva. :jerkbag:

DeepThrobble posted:

I can see PGI using those unpublished designs as trial balloons for that 70% rule, but I suspect HG wouldn't give them qualified feedback to avoid infringing even if they don't consider any and all giant combat robots their property.
If the only response PGI gets amounts to "gently caress you, everything is ours," then ceasing contact and going it alone feels like a valid course of action.

This is more than likely what happened. You would assume PGI at least were somewhat prepared for the court eventuality when they decided to stop asking HG's feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

I finally sat down and read through the primary docket item and um. It kind of looks like a clear case of copy-write infringement. Harmony Gold attest that PGI never sought nor gained permission to use the reseen designs. And then HBS have licensed those designs from PGI.

Russ has already admitted to record that they didn't have permission. So... this is kind of a Transverse 2.0 situation.

Edit: If you post about this on the official forum your post will be deleted. So I guess don't do it.

The only good news is PGI are hosed.

Yeah, I thought this was kind of clear but everyone is worried how much poo poo HBS can take over it. Obviously since none of us are copyright lawyers, all we can do is (probably wrongly) speculate, unless someone wants to ask about it in the lawyer megathread in BFC.