Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cyrano4747 posted:

I vaguely recall the TT rules for deploying mechs underwater being kinda fun.

You recall incorrectly. :v:

Movement speed is quartered, because you can't run underwater, only walk, and it takes +1 MP to enter a water hex, so something like a Shadow Hawk can move a whopping 2 hexes. Every hex you enter prompts a piloting skill check to avoid falling over (an average pilot will fail on a 4 or lower, because depth 2 water so your 'Mech is actually under water is a +0, deeper is progressively harder to stay standing), and if you fail you fall and take damage, which has a 1/6 chance of flooding any section that takes damage. If that happens to a leg, a regular pilot needs to roll 9 or better on 2d6 to even stand up, and then again every time they want to move, and their move speed is capped at 1 hex for the rest of the game even if they do stand up.

Ballistic weapons can't be fired underwater, energy weapons' range is cut by 1/3rd, and regular missiles can't be fired. It's a launcher problem; you have to actually refit for torpedo launchers it's not just swapping the ammo.

Fighting under water loving sucks outside of a gimmick game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, we must have housed rules the gently caress out of that.

Probably! It definitely needs it. :v: Under water combat in BattleTech gets better if you use any one (or five) of the equipment that's specifically designed to make it tolerable but if you do that your 'Mech is loving useless out of water. Most of them are post-Clan Invasion tech anyway, the ones that aren't literally ClanTech to start with like HarJel.

This and aerospace fighters on ground maps are the two pieces of Total Warfare that I've bothered to commit to memory specifically because they're niche as gently caress and the one time it comes up is always at a convention or something, and if someone doesn't know it off-hand searching for those rules is going to take like half an hour and leave no one satisfied.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

UMUs make it more tolerable, but only barely.

Harjel and UMUs together make it a fun gimmick, but at that point you're basically playing "half range jumping only" on a regular map so

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roguetech sounds 1000000% on brand with BattleTech fan's obsessive need to take everything way too far in search of 'realism' in the giant stompy robots with magic armor genre.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Der Waffle Mous posted:

who's ready for another several years of dumb legal bullshit?

The litigation was settled with prejudice. It's not coming up again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, what's this all about and why should I back it?

Edit: I've never played a Minis-based wargame. I didn't even know there was a Battletech game other than the PC version. (Other than some other Battletech-like mech games like Mechwarrior, etc)

It's a board game that has been around since 1984. MechWarrior is the same franchise and characters. You have probably spent most of your adult gaming life appreciating some thing or another that BattleTech did for western giant robot games.

And these new ones look fuckin' sick.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Please tell me those are taken by cell phones and that the cockpit doesn't literally feel like it's mounted on a shakycam. :psyduck:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Voyager I posted:

I mean, they're a liability in TT too. You don't put an XL Engine on a mech designed to wade in and brawl it out.

It really depend on the 'Mech, but in general you're right.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Q_res posted:

Yes, but they're even worse here. Between Evasive being so weak and Precision Shot being a thing they'd go from a liability to the equivalent of an explosive suicide vest.

Ammo explosions do that too in the TT but are different here. Changing how they work in the interest of balance isn't taboo.

Off the top off my head: lose a side torso with an XL, gain a quarter of the heat gauge. If that makes you shut down, sucks to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

It amuses me that the Zeus went from a PPC/LRM to an AC5/LRM because they could never get the PPC to work right, while the Dragon transitioned from AC5/LRM to PPC/LRM because House Kurita just had soooo many Lord's Light PPCs laying about. Just so, so many. Suck it, Free Worlders

:negative: